Where did slaves of usa come from ori...

Level 2

Since: Jul 08

Philly & London SE6

#191 Nov 19, 2008
Mystik stylez777 wrote:
<quoted text> Moorish people were african people.
But, they weren't from WEST Africa. You implied the Moors were brought from Spain to Jamaica and they were the ancestors of the Maroons. That's historically inaccurate. The Maroons were the descendants of slaves brought to Jamaica through the Mid-Atlantic Slave Trade. There were some blacks from Spain that travelled with the original conquistadors, but their numbers are small.

Descendants of Maroons to this day use medicinal herbs, cook in traditions and tell folk stories learned from West African ancestors.

“Not African, we're Orginal!”

Since: Sep 08

The World

#192 Nov 19, 2008
I-Self Lord and Master wrote:
Wil jij me doen geloven dat onze bosnegers Islamitisch waren?

“SIGILLUM SECRETUM”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#193 Nov 19, 2008
Mystik stylez777 wrote:
<quoted text>
The article said it was trying to see the Maroon Community in islamic eyes. Fair enough. I know about them using christian saints to cover for their orishas. The word moor means navigator not black...but came to be associated with dark skinned. So you don't need to be islamic to be a moor. Thats what differentiated them from what we see in islam today.
Can you show the etymology of the word Moor.

Thanks,

The World

#194 Nov 19, 2008
Lana17 wrote:
<quoted text>
:) Yes, there were Maroons throughout the Spanish Empire; in Suriname, Guyana, French Guiana, Florida, etc... Basically the term was used to describe runaway slaves who lived in their own communities in Spanish colonies.
Suriname was never part of the Spanish Empire.
Sinajuavi

Grundy, VA

#195 Nov 19, 2008
Native Americans are clearly of Siberian origin. There has so far been no DNA found among them, whether in North or South America, which can be traced to Africa or Europe.

The earliest date for human arrival in America is not known, but is believed by many anthropologists to be as early as 35,000 years ago. That is a lot of time, and if modern Native Americans aren't exactly the same color as Siberians, that is irrelevant.

Some Native DNA is related to that of people such as the Jomon, the pre-Japanese inhabitants of Japan. They were part of one of the earliest groups to spread northward in eastern Asia along the Pacific coast.

A small amount of X haplotype DNA was found among Native Americans around the Great Lakes. White supremacists immediately claimed this represented European migration to America. However, the type of X involved was in fact from Central Asia and this haplotype simply represents the furthest from the Bering Strait from which migrants to America came.

Across Siberia and adjacent regions, there is a wide diversity of peoples today, every ethnic group representing a mixture of several earlier groups. You cannot look at any particular Siberian ethnic group and say THAT is the Native American origin, because they too are mixed of several groups.

Interestingly, the Inuit in Asia who share language and culture with those of North America have different DNA, which resembles that of their Siberian neighbors, while the Inuit of America have DNA which matches those of their Native American neighbors.

Ancestry, culture and language do not always match up.

“SIGILLUM SECRETUM”

Location hidden

#196 Nov 19, 2008
Lana17 wrote:
<quoted text>
But, they weren't from WEST Africa. You implied the Moors were brought from Spain to Jamaica and they were the ancestors of the Maroons. That's historically inaccurate. The Maroons were the descendants of slaves brought to Jamaica through the Mid-Atlantic Slave Trade. There were some blacks from Spain that travelled with the original conquistadors, but their numbers are small.
Descendants of Maroons to this day use medicinal herbs, cook in traditions and tell folk stories learned from West African ancestors.
It depends on how you see West-Africa. Because the empires during that time were scaled different from nowadays. But I think you are aware of that.

http://www.stanfordalumni.org/news/magazine/2...

Level 2

Philly & London SE6

#197 Nov 19, 2008
Mystik stylez777 wrote:
<quoted text>
So basically the "black" african moors when deported to jamaica mixed with "black" african obeahman.....
No! They were called Maroons when they escaped. The Spanish used this word to describe AFricans that escaped from the planations and lived in their own communities. Stop trying to coorelate the word 'Maroon' with 'moors' when you reference runaway slaves in the Americas. The two are not synonomous.

All the Maroons were black, other than the ones that intermingled with natives.

You sound as if you're trying rewrite Jamaican history to accommodate something you read. Whoever you're getting your information from, stop reading their books, because I guarantee you it's not from a source that is reputable.:)

“Uaxactun”

Since: Nov 08

mecca, illinois

#198 Nov 19, 2008
<quoted text>
Can you show the etymology of the word Moor.
Thanks,
moor comes from mare (latin) which means sea. If you look at the word FoMORian from the irish folklore you'd see they were dark skinned african pirates or navigators. The same root word you'd get MARine, MERmaid, MERchant, everything to do with the sea or sea people. IT has nothing to do with islam. Basically an ancient seafaring race. Those who controlled the seven seas.

“Uaxactun”

mecca, illinois

#199 Nov 19, 2008
Lana17 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats amazing you said the moors that came with the spanish set up communities and helped maroons (which means moor) escape to live in their MOORISH communities. Coming out of spain it had to have been an islamic community. i'm not saying obeah, traditions and other things weren't going on.

Level 2

Philly & London SE6

#200 Nov 19, 2008
Kobena wrote:
<quoted text>
Suriname was never part of the Spanish Empire.
Yes, this is true! But the English adopted the use of the word Maroon, as used in Spanish colonies, to describe the runaway slaves. That's the point I was trying to get across.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record.:)

“Uaxactun”

mecca, illinois

#201 Nov 19, 2008
Lana17 wrote:
<quoted text>
No! They were called Maroons when they escaped. The Spanish used this word to describe AFricans that escaped from the planations and lived in their own communities. Stop trying to coorelate the word 'Maroon' with 'moors' when you reference runaway slaves in the Americas. The two are not synonomous.
You sound as if you're trying rewrite Jamaican history to accommodate something you read. Whoever you're getting your information from, stop reading their books, because I guarantee you it's not from a source that is reputable.:)
I'm trying to rewrite jamaican history...not really i'm only having a conversation about moors in jamaica and moorish people. obeah is there heavily...i know that..in the dominican, cuba and everywhere else down there.

“SIGILLUM SECRETUM”

Location hidden

#202 Nov 19, 2008
Kobena wrote:
<quoted text>
Wil jij me doen geloven dat onze bosnegers Islamitisch waren?
Dat heb ik niet gezegd of geschreven. Wat ik wel weet is dat ze kennis hebben van KMT, HERU en Aisa/ Isis enz.

Ze hebben vele liederen die over HERU gaan. Ik was in Suriname begin dit jaar, en bezocht een van de dorpen. Ik heb daar een aantal vragen gesteld met betrekking tot KMT en tot mijn verbazing werden bepaalde dingen uitgelegd over HERU die ze eigenlijk niet zouden kunnen weten.

Veel van wat ze weten, is niet bekent bij ons.

“Uaxactun”

mecca, illinois

#203 Nov 19, 2008
Lana17 wrote:
<quoted text>
ignore the post after the fomorian...i totally screwed that up i have to reword that.

The World

#204 Nov 19, 2008
Lana17 wrote:
<quoted text>
10% to 25% of the Africans who were brought here were Islamic or belonged to an African Islamic Empire.

Level 2

Philly & London SE6

#205 Nov 19, 2008
<quoted text>
It depends on how you see West-Africa. Because the empires during that time were scaled different from nowadays. But I think you are aware of that.
http://www.stanfordalumni.org/news/magazine/2...
Well, I know this much. They were not taking slaves from Morocco nor did Moors from Spain constitute the make up of the slaves in the America's. I've heard of some AA cult that tries to call themselves Moors and make everything Moorish in origin. That's how this discussion is coming across to me. It's almost as if people who don't know their history are trying to make it up as they go along. I know my history :) And I'm always learning, but there is no need to emphasize Moors when you know which tribes were brought where. In Jamaica they teach which tribes were taken to the island in history class. It's not a mystery.

“Uaxactun”

mecca, illinois

#206 Nov 19, 2008
Kobena wrote:
<quoted text>
10% to 25% of the Africans who were brought here were Islamic or belonged to an African Islamic Empire.
The cherokee were practicing a form of islam brought from the moors in west africa. They wore turbans and the whole nine.

“Uaxactun”

mecca, illinois

#207 Nov 19, 2008
Lana17 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I know this much. They were not taking slaves from Morocco nor did Moors from Spain constitute the make up of the slaves in the America's. I've heard of some AA cult that tries to call themselves Moors and make everything Moorish in origin. That's how this discussion is coming across to me. It's almost as if people who don't know their history are trying to make it up as they go along. I know my history :) And I'm always learning, but there is no need to emphasize Moors when you know which tribes were brought where. In Jamaica they teach which tribes were taken to the island in history class. It's not a mystery.
the only cult is malachi z york nuwaubian moors.

http://www.blackelectorate.com/articles.asp...

“Uaxactun”

mecca, illinois

#208 Nov 19, 2008

Level 2

Philly & London SE6

#210 Nov 19, 2008
Mystik stylez777 wrote:
<quoted text> I'm trying to rewrite jamaican history...not really i'm only having a conversation about moors in jamaica and moorish people. obeah is there heavily...i know that..in the dominican, cuba and everywhere else down there.
What do you mean by heavily and where are you getting your information from? Sorcery is practised everywhere. The average Jamaican is not practising Obeah. And you still don't get it because you keep talking about Moors in Jamaica and there are none! I only here this Moor stuff from black Americans. Yes, people from all over the world migrated to Jamaica, but there is no existing society of Moor descendants, unless you're relying on your theory of the Maroons being Moors, which is ridiculous.

The black Jamaican population was not formed from Moors or Moroccans. PERIOD!

“Uaxactun”

mecca, illinois

#211 Nov 19, 2008

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Injudgement 1,536,178
White women are extremely jealous of bw! 12 min 2 Dogs 51
Indian Wh0rs are the Biggest Race-traitors on t... (Dec '14) 12 min Big Daddy 7
Why do American Blacks think they're Egyptians? (Apr '12) 15 min thetruth 3,703
Is Zoe Saldana a sellout? (Dec '14) 15 min Big Daddy 52
Kip - In Africa! 20 min Big Daddy 1
What would happen if blacks were given their ow... 23 min 2 Dogs 228
Black women want kids with that GOOD HAIR 27 min Big Daddy 36
Why Some Black Women Love White Men (May '07) 29 min 2 Dogs 11,232
HA HA HA! Trump cuts $1.7 TRILLION in welfare! 1 hr KIP 230