Why Is the African American Forum So Popular?

Posted in the African-American Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15

Level 2

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

It's very obvious that the African American forum is one of the most popular, if not the most, on Topix. I read comments from black people from the UK, black people living in other European countries, blacks from African countries, and I read just as many comments made by Whites from across the globe in the African American forum.

I just joined yesterday, but I've been reading Topix African American forum discussions for years. My philosophy is this: resting my fingers and mouth, while exercising my ears, eyes and brains, because it seems more productive to me. The old saying: it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth (or type one's words/responses/replies) and have all doubts removed.

Why do some posters, who appears to be very intelligent, allow themselves to be sucked into racist, sexist, or ethnic debates? Why do intelligent people feel the need to have the last word? In my life, I've learned that you can't change anyone's mind or make them admit to anything that they don't want to admit to, regardless of how much documentation or how much common-sense reasoning you provide in your rebuttals or responses in these forum. In the end, constant arguing back and forth makes anyone and everyone who does it look desperate for attention, and it makes them appear less intelligent to others than if they'd just ignore people who are desperate for attention--this includes ignoring clearly racist or sexist forum members.

I believe that the African American forum is so popular, because African Americans are known as a strong-willed and determined group that seeks to regain much of the control over their lives and histories that they lost during slavery and segregation in the United States. What say the African Americans? Am I right or wrong? No answer is wrong or right. Everyone has an opinion, and I understand the difference between opinions, views and facts.

Note: I won't be responding to a majority of the posts, because I like to read other people's comments and replies far more than I like to have them read my own comments.
noname

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

NoArguingAllowed wrote:
It's very obvious that the African American forum is one of the most popular, if not the most, on Topix. I read comments from black people from the UK, black people living in other European countries, blacks from African countries, and I read just as many comments made by Whites from across the globe in the African American forum.
I just joined yesterday, but I've been reading Topix African American forum discussions for years. My philosophy is this: resting my fingers and mouth, while exercising my ears, eyes and brains, because it seems more productive to me. The old saying: it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth (or type one's words/responses/replies) and have all doubts removed.
Why do some posters, who appears to be very intelligent, allow themselves to be sucked into racist, sexist, or ethnic debates? Why do intelligent people feel the need to have the last word? In my life, I've learned that you can't change anyone's mind or make them admit to anything that they don't want to admit to, regardless of how much documentation or how much common-sense reasoning you provide in your rebuttals or responses in these forum. In the end, constant arguing back and forth makes anyone and everyone who does it look desperate for attention, and it makes them appear less intelligent to others than if they'd just ignore people who are desperate for attention--this includes ignoring clearly racist or sexist forum members.
I believe that the African American forum is so popular, because African Americans are known as a strong-willed and determined group that seeks to regain much of the control over their lives and histories that they lost during slavery and segregation in the United States. What say the African Americans? Am I right or wrong? No answer is wrong or right. Everyone has an opinion, and I understand the difference between opinions, views and facts.
Note: I won't be responding to a majority of the posts, because I like to read other people's comments and replies far more than I like to have them read my own comments.
Are you African American?

Level 2

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

noname wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you African American?
For noname or any other poster who may have questions about my gender, race or ethnicity, I won't be providing that information, but I will say that I love everything about African Americans, and my posts in the African American forums are meant to inspire others to view the group in a positive way, as opposed to trying to demean and degrade African Americans.
noname

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

NoArguingAllowed wrote:
<quoted text>For noname or any other poster who may have questions about my gender, race or ethnicity, I won't be providing that information, but I will say that I love everything about African Americans, and my posts in the African American forums are meant to inspire others to view the group in a positive way, as opposed to trying to demean and degrade African Americans.
The answer to your thread's question is the reason why you're here.

Do you find it odd that African Americans don't entertain forums for other ethnic groups on Topix, yet the African American forum has many non-African Americans posting on it?
African Postman

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

NoArguingAllowed wrote:
Why do some posters, who appears to be very intelligent, allow themselves to be sucked into racist, sexist, or ethnic debates? Why do intelligent people feel the need to have the last word? In my life, I've learned that you can't change anyone's mind or make them admit to anything that they don't want to admit to, regardless of how much documentation or how mulike to have them read my own comments.
Because its the biggest black English speaking forum and blacks around the world will have an affinity to it,there is a Pan African element in all black people only that it is not yet fully mobilised or utilized.
Help Me Tell Africa
Fear is only a garden of dried leaves; the battalions
of soldier-ant-stings feelings. The state of not even a fiber
of courage to speak up in the market square of whispers;
the tears and foul smell from self-inflicted injuries. The canons
shot to back-fire: the suicide of skin bleaching.
Any other reason our leaves are dry? Please answer,
oh Africa! Any other reason our veins are bleeding
at the face of white challenges? Compose your answer.
A full calabash of shame: the over-flowing agbada
of racial phobia. How long must we surrender?
Emancipate yourself from intellectual witchbondage; the speechless
agonizing, wailings and lamentations of mediocrity.
Liberate yourself by yourself from the doldrums of pity
oh black race! Stone to collapsing, the heartless
Juju masquerade of the darkness of the past
which cast shadows of long-overcome weaknesses,
on the sun-lit paths of today; the yesteryears illnesses
dragging with cursed ropes, along with themselves the brightness
of the future into the insatiable graves of the past.
Today, liberate yourself from this hopelessness!
By yourself! Liberate yourself by yourself.
Fertilize the barren lands, pour water
on the dry root stems. And watch the later;
taste and see that success heals the senses,
people who fail trust their ability to fail again,
people who succeed trust their ability to succeed again.
Observe and learn the wind-borne native-chalk-powder lessons;
that history is a record of the past which has passed,
and misery is a negative anchor on the past.
Answer me, child of the soil! Shouldn’t you liberate yourself?
Or let the labor of the tractors remain in vain.
Or let the gardener’s wishes end as clouds without rain.
Or let the heads of kids keep hanging in disdain.
Or let the tongues of babblers keep rattling in vain.
Or let the grains of the planting season fail.
Or let the economic dependence keep you in chains.
Or let the intellectual witches and wizards prevail.
Or let the leaders not act but complain.
Or let the citizens not react but sustain.
Or let us continue to explain our pains without gains.
Tell Africa! Please somebody, help me tell Africa,
that racism is today not pride of color and place,
but fear of being surpassed and displaced!
Tell the whole world! Help tell her somebody, in camera,
that today, racism is not pride of color and place
but the leftover seed of slave trade; a disgrace
from which she refuses to recover; a hole
in the head, an arrow in the heart, a
sore in the leg, that refuses to be made whole.
Even when their tongues will choose to lie, their eyes will see it, oh Africa!

Level 2

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

noname wrote:
<quoted text>
The answer to your thread's question is the reason why you're here.
Do you find it odd that African Americans don't entertain forums for other ethnic groups on Topix, yet the African American forum has many non-African Americans posting on it?
That is exactly what I stated in my original post. Although I'd be guessing or speculating, because I don't go to other forums, I believe that they're not as popular or as interesting as the African American forums. I have looked into Somalian, Ethiopian, South African, and other non-African American forums, but I wasn't interested in the topics or the contributions to the thread. I only look at African American forum topics. I'm hoping that different people will be able to explain why they prefer the African American forum, even though they themselves aren't African Americans. I already know that African Americans like to interact with people that have experienced the same difficulties, hardships and success as themselves, so they prefer to frequent forums that specifically caters to their own group--I don't have an issue with that.

I won't be revealing anything about myself, but I assure all African Americans that my intentions are and will remain a positive for the group that this forum category is named after--African Americans.
noname

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

NoArguingAllowed wrote:
<quoted text>so they prefer to frequent forums that specifically caters to their own group--I don't have an issue with that.

I won't be revealing anything about myself, but I assure all African Americans that my intentions are and will remain a positive for the group that this forum category is named after--African Americans.
You couldn't have a problem with that.

Only time will tell.
Sharkey

Reno, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

I believe the African-American forum is popular because it gets the most "hits" from posters.
It gets a lot of "hits" because for some strange reason I still can't understand, black skin gets a visceral negative reaction from deep down in the human psyche.
People of dark skin are heaped with the most riducule, the most hatred, and "designated" in the "lower cast" of our society. The black African seems to evoke the most negative reaction.

Why do humans hate dark skin so much that they ridicule and dehumanize the people who happen to have it? No one asks to be born the color that they are, so there is really no point of all this hatred.

Level 2

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Sharkey wrote:
No one asks to be born the color that they are, so there is really no point of all this hatred.
I WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE...

Level 2

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Sharkey wrote:
I believe the African-American forum is popular because ...
It's interesting that you'd say that people are drawn to African Americans, because they may perceive them as negative (of course, those weren't your exact words).

I've always believed that African Americans were interesting to others, because they were a group that was mostly feared for these reasons:
1. during slavery, slaves weren't allow to learn to read, because they would have discovered decades ago what many of them are now posting in these forums--questions about what the original Egyptians, North Africans, Japanese, Asians, etc... looked like.
2. they refused to allow fear to put them in a position that allows others to abuse them, without retribution, as their ancestors who were slave regularly allowed to be done to them. In other words, I think that they are trying to take back most of the pride and dignity that their ancestors lost during slavery and segregation.
3. people of African descent have always been sought out because of their unique strengths: they are the only group that were not wiped out when White Europeans mixed with them--the other groups died, because their immune systems were too weak to fight off the diseases passed on to them by Europeans, but Africans were not wiped out like many Natives of the Americas--Taino, Caribs, Tahitians and others. Africans were able to endure the back-breaking work of American slavery that Natives Americans died from.
4. the Africans also had a will that never allowed them to be destroyed by their conquerors, even when they were tortured inhumanely, but the original Tasmanian became extinct, even though they were not treated as ruthless as the African American slaves were treated, but African Americans seemed to get stronger with each beating and wiser with each attempt to keep them ignorant about the world around them, even when laws permitted them to be whipped or even killed for being too smart.
5. Just like the Haitians proved to the world, Blacks were smart enough to hatch a plan that lead to the defeat of their French overseers--financially, they're still paying for that victory.

If I had to guess, which is all I can do, I'd say that African Americans are seen as the ultimate strength of the genes of Africans; those genes have never allowed the Africans to be destroyed by their enemies, like so many other conquered people across the globe. For this reason, black people of African descent are greatly feared. I believe that because their genes allowed them to survive situations that many Indians and Aboriginal Tasmanian couldn't survive, their enemies believe that one day, if all people of African descent united, there may be a world that resembles that of the Zimbabwean nation. The Zimbabweans, just like the Haitians, took their freedom from the Boer or Dutch--they didn't wait to have it returned to them.

History has shown us that when Africans allows outsiders to divide them, they are weak and easy to destroy--a good example of this is the civil war started between the Tutsi and Hutu of Rwanda by their Belgium occupiers (also Dutch). Africans across that continent learned from this, and although they still fight among-st themselves, they unite when outsiders try to divide them, i.e., East, West, Central and South Africans refuse to be divide by outsider like the Tutsi and Hutu were, because the result proved to be devastating for the Africans, while the outsiders benefited from the division.
Sharkey

Reno, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

NoArguingAllowed wrote:
<quoted text>
It's interesting that you'd say that people are drawn to African Americans, because they may perceive them as negative (of course, those weren't your exact words).
I've always believed that African Americans were interesting to others, because they were a group that was mostly feared for these reasons:
1. during slavery, slaves weren't allow to learn to read, because they would have discovered decades ago what many of them are now posting in these forums--questions about what the original Egyptians, North Africans, Japanese, Asians, etc... looked like.
2. they refused to allow fear to put them in a position that allows others to abuse them, without retribution, as their ancestors who were slave regularly allowed to be done to them. In other words, I think that they are trying to take back most of the pride and dignity that their ancestors lost during slavery and segregation.
3. people of African descent have always been sought out because of their unique strengths: they are the only group that were not wiped out when White Europeans mixed with them--the other groups died, because their immune systems were too weak to fight off the diseases passed on to them by Europeans, but Africans were not wiped out like many Natives of the Americas--Taino, Caribs, Tahitians and others. Africans were able to endure the back-breaking work of American slavery that Natives Americans died from.
4. the Africans also had a will that never allowed them to be destroyed by their conquerors, even when they were tortured inhumanely, but the original Tasmanian became extinct, even though they were not treated as ruthless as the African American slaves were treated, but African Americans seemed to get stronger with each beating and wiser with each attempt to keep them ignorant about the world around them, even when laws permitted them to be whipped or even killed for being too smart.
5. Just like the Haitians proved to the world, Blacks were smart enough to hatch a plan that lead to the defeat of their French overseers--financially, they're still paying for that victory.
If I had to guess, which is all I can do, I'd say that African Americans are seen as the ultimate strength of the genes of Africans; those genes have never allowed the Africans to be destroyed by their enemies, like so many other conquered people across the globe. For this reason, black people of African descent are greatly feared. I believe that because their genes allowed them to survive situations that many Indians and Aboriginal Tasmanian couldn't survive, their enemies believe that one day, if all people of African descent united, there may be a world that resembles that of the Zimbabwean nation. The Zimbabweans, just like the Haitians, took their freedom from the Boer or Dutch--they didn't wait to have it returned to them.
History has shown us that when Africans allows outsiders to divide them, they are weak and easy to destroy--a good example of this is the civil war started between the Tutsi and Hutu of Rwanda by their Belgium occupiers (also Dutch). Africans across that continent learned from this, and although they still fight among-st themselves, they unite when outsiders try to divide them, i.e., East, West, Central and South Africans refuse to be divide by outsider like the Tutsi and Hutu were, because the result proved to be devastating for the Africans, while the outsiders benefited from the division.
So at the heart of all this is the old, all-too-human trait of covetousness for the best.
Dividing and conquering in order to access valuable resources, including genes.
But as technology advances, humans will move and mix around the globe more. Some of us will be in orbit. Eventurlly, we humans will have to "adapt" to living on one globe with the others.
Humans need a major paradigm shift in the way they view the world.
Instead of us "on seperate continents" we need to realize that we are ONE species in ONE world.

Level 2

Since: May 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Nice thread. I thinks it half of what you said and that blacks are the new face of America and slowly the world by subtle influence. Sort of like Asian influence in the 70s with Bruce Lee and Karate. So other Blacks come here because we are like that popular family member that every go over and meet up. As far as other races many for good reasons or browsing and some because of hate or self hate.

“The Love Below”

Level 8

Since: Apr 10

ATL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

African Americans are like the seniors in high school. The people in the lower grades envy them, and wished they could do what they do, but they are not like them! African American culture is felt in many countries, and Im speaking of the positives. We got folks in japan, perming their hair, imitating us lol. I will say this, we dont care about what other people think of us like that, no matter where they come from. We look at ourselves as our own people.
Sharkey

Reno, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Punchojr wrote:
Nice thread. I thinks it half of what you said and that blacks are the new face of America and slowly the world by subtle influence. Sort of like Asian influence in the 70s with Bruce Lee and Karate. So other Blacks come here because we are like that popular family member that every go over and meet up. As far as other races many for good reasons or browsing and some because of hate or self hate.
I hope it stays "nice" that way. Too many of these discussions turn into poo-throwing contests.
But I wouldn't just say that "blacks are the new face of America". They are one PART of the face of America. Blacks have ALWAYS been part of the face of America, just like the Chinese who helped us build our railroads, the Japenese we herded into camps, the Latinos, and the Native tribes. We were "multicultural" from the very beginning.
"An America that was once white" was never the truth. There were even a few "free Africans" who came over here about the same time as the whites, on their own will without being on a slave ship. When they arrived, the Natives were already here. America was NEVER "all white until it got ruined by brown people". America was ALREADY red, black and white.
I hope that humans will finally realize, that as plain as the nose is on their face, that we are ONE world, ONE species. Right now, we're still looking at each other as "ENEMY!" just because we migh "come from different countries. We need to GET that all these "seperate countries" ARE ALL ON ONLY ONE (1) WORLD.
Sharkey

Reno, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

BROWNMAN20 wrote:
African Americans are like the seniors in high school. The people in the lower grades envy them, and wished they could do what they do, but they are not like them! African American culture is felt in many countries, and Im speaking of the positives. We got folks in japan, perming their hair, imitating us lol. I will say this, we dont care about what other people think of us like that, no matter where they come from. We look at ourselves as our own people.
LOL! Ahhh, I remember those days of being a senior!
On my campus, there was something called the "senior lawn" that was coveted by every student freshman to junior, and anyone caught on it who wasn't a senior would have hell to pay!

Memories...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••