What Would MLK Say About LGBT Rights?

What Would MLK Say About LGBT Rights?

There are 1544 comments on the queersunited.blogspot.com story from Jan 19, 2009, titled What Would MLK Say About LGBT Rights?. In it, queersunited.blogspot.com reports that:

Unfortunately, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., whose birthday we honor today, was assassinated before the gay rights movement became a force on the American stage, so we'll never know for sure what he may have done ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at queersunited.blogspot.com.

First Prev
of 78
Next Last

Daniel P from Long Island

“Protestant, Gay, Libertarian”

Since: Apr 08

Long Island, NY

#1 Jan 19, 2009
I think Dr. King, a GREAT American, would have marched with us arm-in-arm in our quest for the EQUALITY which is GUARANTEED us by the United States Constitution.

I shall ask him when I meet him.

PEACE !

:)

Since: Dec 08

Ireland

#3 Jan 19, 2009
I think he might have left it to Bayard Rustin.

“ reality, what a concept”

Level 2

Since: Nov 07

this one

#4 Jan 19, 2009
Blk and Str8T wrote:
(nothing worth repeating)
Odd that you would even want to imagine something like that, considering that his wife, the person who knew him best, was an ardent supporter of LGBT civil rights in her later years. He knew during his lifetime that members of the gay community were strong supporters of the movement which he led and I firmly believe he'd be supportive of our rights today in return. he believed that people should be seen by the content of their character and I know how saddened he'd really be at how little you've shown.
White and Gay

Shirley, NY

#5 Jan 19, 2009
Blk and Str8T wrote:
<quoted text>
He would have back slapped you gays with the black hand side leaving a resounding clap sound echoing in your gay heads.
He would also say your movement died today by your own silly little gay hands-RIP gay rights movement.
Did your really have to make your name blk & str8t? In case you didn't know, you're pretty transparent.
The Gay Rights Movement won't stop. We will be granted our rights, just like your previous generations got theirs.

BORNGAY

“HERE TO STAY”

Since: Jul 07

"AXIDENTS" WILL HAPPEN!

#6 Jan 19, 2009
Blk and Str8T wrote:
<quoted text>
He would have back slapped you gays with the black hand side leaving a resounding clap sound echoing in your gay heads.
He would also say your movement died today by your own silly little gay hands-RIP gay rights movement.
considering there is plenty of black gays... I don;t think so.. You think pretty crooked for being straight..
Blk and Str8T

Belmont, CA

#8 Jan 19, 2009
BORNGAY wrote:
<quoted text>
considering there is plenty of black gays... I don;t think so.. You think pretty crooked for being straight..
You think like a madman for being borngay. LOL
shane beddingfield

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#9 Jan 19, 2009
help ban pro wrestling ufc girls gone wild jerry springer join the "CEASED FIGHTING ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING MOVMENT" no contribution accepted, we will march on washington this year sbed1901@hotmail.com
what

United States

#10 Feb 1, 2009
?

Since: Jan 09

United States

#11 Feb 1, 2009
In my humble opinion, I think MLK would have supported any civil cause that fits within "Equal Rights For All" banner. In this case, LGBT would fit like a cork in a bottle.

Keep in mind that MLK was killed while he was out on the street supporting garbage collectors union.

He was that giving.
BAP

Naperville, IL

#12 Feb 1, 2009
Martin Luther King was more conservative and christian, I don't think he would have been behind the gay movement...

“I Support Equality”

Since: Jun 07

Beaverton, OR

#13 Feb 1, 2009
BORNGAY wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Bg, How are you?

United States

#14 Feb 1, 2009
BAP wrote:
Martin Luther King was more conservative and christian, I don't think he would have been behind the gay movement...
Conservatives don't die on behalf of garbage collectors.
the light has come

Danville, IL

#15 Feb 1, 2009
To really know what MLK would have done is just guess work at best. What he did was a fight for blacks. His wife may agreed with the gay agenda but many blacks oppose her also while she lived even her own daughter. If MLK was fighting for Gay rights, he would not had the support of the black church at large. MLK was not marching by himself but other religious leaders black and white Christians were marching with him.

“Philly jazz cat”

Philadelphia

#16 Feb 1, 2009
Blk and Str8T wrote:
<quoted text>
Well we have to be careful. We are not sure what a man may think, simply becuase he is a member of the black clergy. The reverend Al Sharpton has went out on a limb to support the gay rights movement. So who knows how a man thinks in the depth of his heart.

Personally though, I think that MLK would still be focused on civil rights for black people, and may be working hand and hand with the NAACP. To suggest that he would work with another movement, would suggest that the civil rights movement is totally accomplished and dead. I find that laughable, even considering that we have a black president lol. We as blacks state wide have much more progress to accomplish.

Whenever the establishment wants to throw us a cookie, it is always on the federal level, becuase they know this level of government is not going to effect our lives considerably. In reality, give me the state governemt, and you can have the federal. If I can control the governor's mansion, and state legislators, then I can ACTIVELY begin to accomplish what MLK wanted, and trully stamp out racism forever.

So in conclusion, I feel that MLK would not abondone the civil rights movement, becuase we still have alot of work to be done. I feel that MLK would have moved on to a higher level of consiousness for blacks to fight in our struggle for equality. Perhaps his mission would have taken more so after poverty, and blacks who are living in poverty. Basicaly that is the mission "operation bread basket" that Jesse Jackson tried to engineer after the death of MLK.
Robby

Mission Viejo, CA

#17 Feb 1, 2009
Daniel P from Long Island wrote:
I think Dr. King, a GREAT American, would have marched with us arm-in-arm in our quest for the EQUALITY which is GUARANTEED us by the United States Constitution.
I shall ask him when I meet him.
PEACE !
:)
He was a Baptist minister. He would not support gay marriage just like Lowery doesn't...just like the vast majority of black Baptist ministers today don't. Sorry...gay is not the new black.
Blk and Str8T

Belmont, CA

#18 Feb 1, 2009
Charlie-B wrote:
<quoted text>Well we have to be careful. We are not sure what a man may think, simply becuase he is a member of the black clergy. The reverend Al Sharpton has went out on a limb to support the gay rights movement. So who knows how a man thinks in the depth of his heart.
Personally though, I think that MLK would still be focused on civil rights for black people, and may be working hand and hand with the NAACP. To suggest that he would work with another movement, would suggest that the civil rights movement is totally accomplished and dead. I find that laughable, even considering that we have a black president lol. We as blacks state wide have much more progress to accomplish.
Whenever the establishment wants to throw us a cookie, it is always on the federal level, becuase they know this level of government is not going to effect our lives considerably. In reality, give me the state governemt, and you can have the federal. If I can control the governor's mansion, and state legislators, then I can ACTIVELY begin to accomplish what MLK wanted, and trully stamp out racism forever.
So in conclusion, I feel that MLK would not abondone the civil rights movement, becuase we still have alot of work to be done. I feel that MLK would have moved on to a higher level of consiousness for blacks to fight in our struggle for equality. Perhaps his mission would have taken more so after poverty, and blacks who are living in poverty. Basicaly that is the mission "operation bread basket" that Jesse Jackson tried to engineer after the death of MLK.
I'm sometimes brash and sarcastic with my statements but excellent reply in a very civil articulate manner and I totally agree with your reply.

“Reppin the 708”

Since: Nov 08

Harvey, IL

#19 Feb 1, 2009
Robby wrote:
<quoted text>
He was a Baptist minister. He would not support gay marriage just like Lowery doesn't...just like the vast majority of black Baptist ministers today don't. Sorry...gay is not the new black.
IDK about that. MLK was quite liberal/moderate for someone that lived in one of the most prejudice era in this country. People didn't think Al Sharpton would support gay marriages. One of MLK theme phrases was equality for all people. He probably would eventually support gay marriages, but I could be wrong.

“Philly jazz cat”

Philadelphia

#20 Feb 1, 2009
Blk and Str8T wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sometimes brash and sarcastic with my statements but excellent reply in a very civil articulate manner and I totally agree with your reply.
Thanks brother.

“Let a smile be your umbrella!”

Since: Aug 07

Saint Paul, MN

#21 Feb 1, 2009
While it's not possible to know what Dr. King would or would not have done, it is possible to look at the words he spoke, and extrapolate. All words in quotation marks are attributed to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr..

Would he have considered the LGBTQ struggle for Civil Rights justified? Well, he said:

"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity."

"Discrimination is a hellhound that gnaws at Negroes in every waking moment of their lives to remind them that the lie of their inferiority is accepted as truth in the society dominating them."

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

"It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important."

So yes, I think if Dr. King had lived, he would have understood the similarities among the differences, and known we were justified in our struggle.

But would Dr. King have agreed to join in solidarity with the LGBTQ Civil Rights Movement? Consider these words:

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it."

"History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people."

"We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now."

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools."

"Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly. I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality."

So, yes, once again I think that Dr. King would have felt solidarity with us, and stood shoulder to shoulder with us in our struggle.

(continued)

“Let a smile be your umbrella!”

Since: Aug 07

Saint Paul, MN

#22 Feb 1, 2009
As for not having time for the LGBTQ Civil Rights Movement due to the continuing need to further the Black Civil Rights Movement, consider these words by Dr. King:

"That old law about 'an eye for an eye' leaves everybody blind. The time is always right to do the right thing."

"A right delayed is a right denied."

"Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better."

"Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness."

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."

Yes, Dr. King would have MADE time to join in the LGBTQ Civil Rights fight, recognizing it as something that would only further the struggle by the Black Civil Rights Movement.

Consider these other words by arguably the wisest man of his time:

"I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear."

"Life's most persistent and urgent question is,'What are you doing for others?'"

"Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal."

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."

"A genuine leader is not a searcher for consensus but a molder of consensus."

Dr. King would have known the fight for LGBTQ Civil Rights is justified. Going against the flow of public opinion was never a problem for him. He would have stood with us, and spoken for us, with all the passion at his command.

But would you have listened?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 78
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Things have been slow in Chicago this year 4 min new black panther... 2
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min sonicfilter 1,746,368
James Shaw, the 29-year-old hero from Waffle Ho... 15 min Barros 161
White men are inferior males 18 min The Laughing Axe 28
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 23 min Barros 52,365
News Liberals say immigration enforcement is racist,... 35 min Barros 373
Barros has cut back on his Negro nutsack swingi... 37 min new black panther... 6
the origin of the pink species 43 min new black panther... 19
Black sow hoards hundreds of rats in her house 2 hr yep 56
Trump has Melania and black men don't 9 hr heistoo 64
Melania get yourself a Black Man!!! 9 hr iam 343