First Prev
of 5
Next Last

“Selah”

Level 1

Since: Aug 07

United States

#1 Aug 25, 2008
MEMPHIS (8/24/2008)- Members of Temple of Deliverance church react to news their former first lady is filing a lawsuit against their new pastor. It's been less than a year and a half since Bishop G.E. Patterson passed away. The church named his nephew to fill his spot in the pulpit but now a controversy is brewing between him and Bishop Patterson's widow.

Rev. Milton Hawkins and the bishop's widow honored the deceased with a bronze mural but a chancery court case shows the two are now split over the running of the ministry.

Mrs. Patterson is suing Hawkins for access to church financial records. The suit says she wants to see if money from Bountiful Blessings, a separate ministry founded by her husband, is being lumped together with church finances.

Bountiful Blessings owns WBBP radio and the sermons of her late husband that are still being aired on cable television. As chairwoman she receives a salary from Bountiful Blessings ministry. She also receives retirement benefits from the church.

Those attending services there are torn. One man says he won't stop going to church there but the lawsuit upsets him.

"It ain't right. But you know they always telling us to do right, you know and forgive and forget and all that, but how come they can't forgive and forget," said J.B. Cobb

The church's secretary, Betty Spight, is also named in the lawsuit.

Can someone explain what the hell is going on? There have been divorces, fights, law suits and a lot of other mess right in the pulpit of our churches. I KNOW that we are not perfect but COME ON! The church is not representing God in a way that makes people believe. I just don't understand why all of this is happening.

“ZZZZZZZ”

Since: Oct 07

ATL

#2 Aug 25, 2008
LaTasha wrote:
MEMPHIS (8/24/2008)- Members of Temple of Deliverance church react to news their former first lady is filing a lawsuit against their new pastor. It's been less than a year and a half since Bishop G.E. Patterson passed away. The church named his nephew to fill his spot in the pulpit but now a controversy is brewing between him and Bishop Patterson's widow.
Rev. Milton Hawkins and the bishop's widow honored the deceased with a bronze mural but a chancery court case shows the two are now split over the running of the ministry.
Mrs. Patterson is suing Hawkins for access to church financial records. The suit says she wants to see if money from Bountiful Blessings, a separate ministry founded by her husband, is being lumped together with church finances.
Bountiful Blessings owns WBBP radio and the sermons of her late husband that are still being aired on cable television. As chairwoman she receives a salary from Bountiful Blessings ministry. She also receives retirement benefits from the church.
Those attending services there are torn. One man says he won't stop going to church there but the lawsuit upsets him.
"It ain't right. But you know they always telling us to do right, you know and forgive and forget and all that, but how come they can't forgive and forget," said J.B. Cobb
The church's secretary, Betty Spight, is also named in the lawsuit.
Can someone explain what the hell is going on? There have been divorces, fights, law suits and a lot of other mess right in the pulpit of our churches. I KNOW that we are not perfect but COME ON! The church is not representing God in a way that makes people believe. I just don't understand why all of this is happening.
Church people and money I tell you these days!
COGIC

Hastings, NE

#3 Aug 26, 2008
GIVE HER THE MONEY
SYB

Toronto, Canada

#4 Aug 26, 2008
I along with so many others feels that it is an embarrassement to the church for all of this to have been aired. I strongly feel that this could have been resolved without the aid of the court.
We have enough negative remarks stated about the church without having to give more for them to talk about. I understand that something needed to be done, but had all avenues been used to resolve the issue. Had Bishop Blake been contacted, or had the board tried to resolve the issue, or better yet had anyone decided to pray and allow the Lord to direct them in this situation. There had to have been another way. I dare not say anything negative about the pastor,because he is a man of God, and I have seen the results of that
too many times, neither do I bash Sis.Patterson. I certainly hope that this matter can soon be resolved. TOD please remain faithful to your church by refusing to discuss this matter, because what takes place in the home should stay there.
Cynthia Allen

Centreville, VA

#5 Aug 29, 2008
We have sooooooooo much to pray for. This is not the example that the Honorable Bishop G.E Patterson lead before us.
Miller

Louisburg, NC

#6 Sep 1, 2008
If she is entitled to the money, give it to her. This is what happens when a great leader like Bishop Patterson is dead, and the COGIC takes over what he worked to build so hard. Mother Patterson is only trying to protect herself, if she doesnt then her husbands legacy will fade away and most people love to hear him on Sunday Morning. Get real its life, I would take them to court as well.

“Selah”

Level 1

Since: Aug 07

Ellenwood, GA

#7 Sep 1, 2008
Isn't the new pastor her nephew? I just don't understand why this couldn't be settled outside of the courts... Also I was happy to see the new sermons on Sunday. I watched G.E. Patterson every Sunday but I didn't want to watch the older sermons... The new pastor seems to be taking the church forward.
Hon Ben Davis

AOL

#8 Sep 13, 2008
Is there no mediation in this church? Sometimes one must walk away for the good of the order. Are we speakers and doers of His Word?
Hon Ben Davis

AOL

#9 Sep 13, 2008
Are we hearers and doers of His Word?
tim

Smyrna, GA

#10 Sep 20, 2008
we just need to pray for them and let God work the situation out he is able to change minds and hearts regardless of the circumstances...

“My Great Grandmother”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#12 Sep 20, 2008
Cynthia Allen wrote:
We have sooooooooo much to pray for. This is not the example that the Honorable Bishop G.E Patterson lead before us.
I agree. He was an HONORABLE man. I really miss seeing him around and hearing him preach!!!!!

He worked with Dr. King, and he was an upright man of GOD!!!

“My HOTPIC is raisng HELLonTOPX”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#13 Sep 20, 2008
This is truly unfortunate. Bishop G.E. Patterson was indeed one of god's CHOSEN messengers. I hope Bishop G.E. Patterson's Widow and nephew can unanimously agree upon a fair settlement. The legacy of Bishop Patterson and COGIC has come to far to turn around.
formerAME

Riverside, CA

#14 Sep 26, 2008
L-des wrote:
This is truly unfortunate. Bishop G.E. Patterson was indeed one of god's CHOSEN messengers. I hope Bishop G.E. Patterson's Widow and nephew can unanimously agree upon a fair settlement. The legacy of Bishop Patterson and COGIC has come to far to turn around.
A to the MEN, L-Des!

Unfortunately, Lady Patterson has to learn what others in her position have had to endure for years; like Lady Jones, the widow of Bishop N. Jones. They started and funded their ministry and church with ALL of their worldy possessions and worked to build it up to the shining star in Southern California. I mean they literally sacrificed everything for the Church; with that, you'd think that the Church would take care of her. I thank God for her dynamic children. They are doing what they are supposed to do, and what the Church should be doing.

Like Bishop Patterson, Bishop & Sister Jones devoted their lifetime to the glorious Gospel of Christ and building up their Church and the COGIC organization. They helped Bishop Blake tremendously, as well as other COGICs. Bishop Patterson and Jones would be very disheartened to know how their widows have been treated and/or cheated. I hope that this matter can be resolved without going to court; but sometimes you gotta do what yo've got to do.

“My Great Grandmother”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#15 Sep 26, 2008
formerAME wrote:
<quoted text>
A to the MEN, L-Des!
Unfortunately, Lady Patterson has to learn what others in her position have had to endure for years; like Lady Jones, the widow of Bishop N. Jones. They started and funded their ministry and church with ALL of their worldy possessions and worked to build it up to the shining star in Southern California. I mean they literally sacrificed everything for the Church; with that, you'd think that the Church would take care of her. I thank God for her dynamic children. They are doing what they are supposed to do, and what the Church should be doing.
Like Bishop Patterson, Bishop & Sister Jones devoted their lifetime to the glorious Gospel of Christ and building up their Church and the COGIC organization. They helped Bishop Blake tremendously, as well as other COGICs. Bishop Patterson and Jones would be very disheartened to know how their widows have been treated and/or cheated. I hope that this matter can be resolved without going to court; but sometimes you gotta do what yo've got to do.
Tell it!
cwill

Jacksonville, FL

#16 Oct 7, 2008
It seems as if this is not really a big problem. The Widow is only asking to see the records. If the new pastor has nothing to hide he should show them to her. All records should be open in a non-profit org.

I find it strange that he has a problem with showing her what he is doing with God's peoples money.
a-t united states

High Point, NC

#17 Sep 7, 2009
this whole lawsuit is so stupid! she is suing her own family member? what is wrong with her? why does she need to have the records anyway? she has always known about the finances in both of the churches? if the late great bishop was still alive this lawsuit would not be going on in the first place! i truly do miss bishop patterson he was a true man of god who always spoke the truth! i will pray for her and her nephew because they need some guidance from god! i love you bishop patterson may you continue to rest in peace!
Gail

United States

#18 Sep 14, 2009
I know what the C.O.G.I.C church does! My father was a pastor ,died, and they tried to take the church that was paid for with his money. He paid all his dues to the organization and not one time did they help him when he became ill. They are a big joke . I won't have anything to do with them! I wish that G.E. would have kept seperate from the organization, put everything in his wife's name and not be subject to this disgraceful organization. To all persons that is with this organization you need to have everything on paper like my mother did or the organization will certainly screw you with nothing!!!!!!!!!!
Lucas

Atlanta, GA

#19 Oct 6, 2009
I wish i could find the scripture where God told us we as saints should never go to the court to resolve our differences. It is a shame that old church folks are acting this way.
Lucas

Atlanta, GA

#20 Oct 6, 2009
I just found the scripture I was looking for 1Corinthians 6:1-11

1 Dare any of you, having a matter against another, go to law before the unjust, and not before the saints?

2 Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?

3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?

4 If then ye have judgments of things pertaining to this life, set them to judge who are least esteemed in the church.

5 I speak to your shame. Is it so, that there is not a wise man among you? no, not one that shall be able to judge between his brethren?

6 but brother goeth to law with brother, and that before the unbelievers.

7 Now therefore there is utterly a fault among you, because ye go to law one with another. Why do ye not rather take wrong? Why do ye not rather suffer yourselves to be defrauded?

8 Nay, ye do wrong, and defraud, and that your brethren.

9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

THis is the worD.

“MAKE UP YOUR OWN HEADLINE”

Since: Mar 08

Jacksonville, FL

#21 Oct 6, 2009
She's just after the money!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you get stereotyped as "Gangsta?" 5 min YILuvWM 12
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Injudgement 1,192,335
US Police Appeal To Public To Stop Filming Them... 7 min DintDoNuffin 22
About foreign born blacks. ---------- (Jun '14) 7 min YILuvWM 746
Which race is Physically the strongest? (Feb '13) 7 min Khabul Khaan 436
New Study: White birth rate RISING in USA! 9 min Victim 62
NEANDERTHALS made WHITES more INTELLIGENT (Apr '13) 10 min Twopointfourpercent 1,234
All women prefer white men 16 min TranshumanX 2,630
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 18 min slavecoast 109,833
Africa DO NOT Need you Black Americans. (from m... 36 min ashantiking 70
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 39 min Gmoney 31,229
Do blacks get along with Asians? (Mar '11) 56 min KIP 225
More from around the web