Longtime California black-owned books...

Longtime California black-owned bookstore closes

There are 28 comments on the Lake Country Sun story from May 9, 2014, titled Longtime California black-owned bookstore closes. In it, Lake Country Sun reports that:

One of the oldest black-owned bookstores in the nation has been evicted from its longtime home in a historic San Francisco neighborhood.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lake Country Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Level 2

Since: Mar 13

#1 May 9, 2014
"You can't deal with this bookstore without dealing with the bigger sickness," Brown said. "So, you can't deal with Marcus alone without looking at the conditions, the public policy that created the conditions for the black community to be torn asunder."

Sad but it's true, Black owned business don't last long because black people don't support them, they are too busy supporting other business that contribute nothing to the black community and some business don't even want black people in their shops.

Return to Mother Africa

San Jose, CA

#3 May 9, 2014
That Oreo Reverend needs to stop begging YT for spare change and get black people to buy some books!
Test For Echo

Richmond, TX

#4 May 9, 2014
Negroes fall behind on rent and get evicted all the time and this is news? That's about as predictable as it gets.(yawns)
Watkins

Iron Station, NC

#5 May 10, 2014
Not a violent person but I had to arm myself when I worked for a shop in negro town! Damn what a horrible place.

Level 2

#6 May 10, 2014
I don't really agree with that one,Yes technology is replacing books at a fast rate but you still see plenty of Christian and Islamic book stores around, They have no shortages of Customers, even some shopping centers sell books to people.
I am going to make it about race because race can affect these situations, i mean i don't want to sound rude but how many book stores can you find in a black neighborhood compared to fast food restaurants, weaves stores, nail shops and planed parent hood clinics, Another thing that i want to bring up is that there is this stupid fad called "acting white" and being and "Oreo" I've seen black children get picked on just for reading a book or studying eventually being rejected by their own people. So the quote i used about there being a sickness to me is true and i do think race effects this.

Level 2

#8 May 10, 2014
TheOriginalDoby wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you talking about? No you don't. There are a very small amount of book stores in this country compared to nearly every other type of business. That number gets smaller every single day. Wanna know why? Simple "Supply and Demand" principles. The largest chain of bookstores in the entire country went out of business in 2011. Ever heard of Borders? Now if a company that large couldn't stay profitable, then how hard do you think it is for small mom and pop bookstores? Be realistic please. Separate simple business trends from race and scapegoating.
The bookstore did not fail because it's Black owned! It failed because it's a bookstore in an era where people don't read books.
<quoted text>
Seriously? You understand that is a ridiculous argument right? No? You do understand the basic business principal of supply and demand right? Instead of complaining about the existence of a liquor store in the Black neighborhood, how about the Black people don't buy the damn liquor? Too complicated? Require personal responsibility? Sorry.
The consumers control every aspect of what takes place in their neighborhoods. Don't want something in your area then don't buy their products. If as a community, the people of this "Black neighborhood" united and simply refused to allow teen pregnancies and refused abortions, then guess what.......the Planned Parenthood clinic would close in a month or two. Pretty simple right? Beware, there are strings attached.
Nothing bothers me more than people complaining about things they have the power to control for fear of work and responsibility.
<quoted text>
I don't know what era you're from but I for one NEVER hear anything like this. The only people that continue this false stereotype are white racists. Real Black people don't mock education and I don't think that behavior has been prevalent since the 80's.
I look forward to your responses and I'm excited to continue this conversation with you when I return later this afternoon.
1. Well maybe where you come from but i can count at least 5 different book stores in my area that are doing just fine, and didn't you not read what i for said? I ADMITTED that technology is way more popular today, i agreed with you lol, seems like you skipped that part. Where i live in (The Uk) mainly black areas where i have traveled, there are more library's that have been closed down and books stores barley exist any more, Its sounds rude but its not, Business trends can go hand in hand with race even though the two things are different.

2.You just said exactly what i was pointing out.

"The consumers control every aspect of what takes place in their neighborhoods. Don't want something in your area then don't buy their products."

I was talking about black people not buying books OR from black owned business, they have plenty of money to spend with the Asians, Indians and whites tho. And who are you to talk about control, as if you have control over anything, its funny you talk to a person one over the internet and they think they know everything about you, typical self righteous people.

3. So because you have never heard someone say what i have heard? All of a sudden its not possible and only racists are spreading it around. Blame it on whitey huh?

Have a look at the video, and look at the comments.

“Obsidian Princess”

Level 8

Since: Sep 09

louisiana

#9 May 10, 2014
TheOriginalDoby wrote:
Book stores are dying in every city, every day. Not because of the race of the owner, but simply because technology is replacing books. Don't make everything about race.
The same is happening to all the record stores. Many things in this country are ruled by racism. However, I don't think this is one of them.
thank you, THANK YOU. Although the AP has a point concerning supporting ones own people economicaly it does not apply every time a business plummets. I guess Borders went out of business white folk dont support white owned businesses.
Black Bookworm Wizard

Raleigh, NC

#10 May 10, 2014
Transition wrote:
"You can't deal with this bookstore without dealing with the bigger sickness," Brown said. "So, you can't deal with Marcus alone without looking at the conditions, the public policy that created the conditions for the black community to be torn asunder."
Sad but it's true, Black owned business don't last long because black people don't support them, they are too busy supporting other business that contribute nothing to the black community and some business don't even want black people in their shops.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =LFxS6OBEozsXX
4 years ago in my old hometown, a small bookstore closed down and then a year later, a national chain bookstore closed down.(Borders) There are black bookstores that continue to thrive in Atlanta,Ga.

I feel ya on the issue with the 'acting white' nonsense. When I detect or see any black person near me like that, I move away from them.

R.I.F. Reading Is Fundamental!(Comprehension makes it grand!)

“Do good 4 the good of humanity”

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#11 May 10, 2014
Transition wrote:
I agree with you, but that isn't the only reason why this business plummeted. Like the other poster stated, it's most likely due to technology. This country is becoming more and more technologically advanced and even less and less White children and adults aren't buying books like they used to anymore. I even see high schools going to the route of technology rather than solely books for learning. I do get your point though. Blacks need to start supporting more Black businesses.
Black Bookworm Wizard

Raleigh, NC

#12 May 10, 2014
Back in the days,(1987-90) the acting white f*ckery was in full swing, I figured out that it was in Tandem with the proliferation of Crack Cocaine in black neighborhoods. The deciples of ignorance wants to see who's weak and cave in to their agenda(s). I always sat back and observed this. Usually, it's some Drug Dealer or some Gangster looking for recruits. If you wait them out, the master of disguise will eventually reveal itself in person to get you to join his or her organization......

CHECKMATE!
Black Bookworm Wizard

Raleigh, NC

#13 May 10, 2014
Too add on, knowledge is always the 'key' to success! Even the ignoramuses know this.
Black Bookworm Wizard

Raleigh, NC

#14 May 10, 2014
The only way to know if someone is intelligent is to judge them by what they say, what they wear, and how they live. If they go around dissing black folk for reading and speaking proper English and they are living in a decent home, then you know it takes some kind of intelligence to live that way. Think about it, look at Dr. Dre, Snoop Lion and other thug/gansta rappers....They're rich! They may not use proper English in their songs, but you can judge by the money they got and how they're living. You can't be dumb to get where they're at.
Gaianova

Greenwood, IN

#15 May 10, 2014
TheOriginalDoby wrote:
Book stores are dying in every city, every day. Not because of the race of the owner, but simply because technology is replacing books. Don't make everything about race.
The same is happening to all the record stores. Many things in this country are ruled by racism. However, I don't think this is one of them.
Exactly. Back in FL in my hometown, Borders closed. They had a 2 week blowout sale...
Gaianova

Greenwood, IN

#16 May 10, 2014
TheOriginalDoby wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you talking about? No you don't. There are a very small amount of book stores in this country compared to nearly every other type of business. That number gets smaller every single day. Wanna know why? Simple "Supply and Demand" principles. The largest chain of bookstores in the entire country went out of business in 2011. Ever heard of Borders? Now if a company that large couldn't stay profitable, then how hard do you think it is for small mom and pop bookstores? Be realistic please. Separate simple business trends from race and scapegoating.
The bookstore did not fail because it's Black owned! It failed because it's a bookstore in an era where people don't read books.
<quoted text>
Seriously? You understand that is a ridiculous argument right? No? You do understand the basic business principal of supply and demand right? Instead of complaining about the existence of a liquor store in the Black neighborhood, how about the Black people don't buy the damn liquor? Too complicated? Require personal responsibility? Sorry.
The consumers control every aspect of what takes place in their neighborhoods. Don't want something in your area then don't buy their products. If as a community, the people of this "Black neighborhood" united and simply refused to allow teen pregnancies and refused abortions, then guess what.......the Planned Parenthood clinic would close in a month or two. Pretty simple right? Beware, there are strings attached.
Nothing bothers me more than people complaining about things they have the power to control for fear of work and responsibility.
<quoted text>
I don't know what era you're from but I for one NEVER hear anything like this. The only people that continue this false stereotype are white racists. Real Black people don't mock education and I don't think that behavior has been prevalent since the 80's.
I look forward to your responses and I'm excited to continue this conversation with you when I return later this afternoon.
Part of the reason Borders failed is because most people who went there did so to hangout and/or buy coffee. Like the one back in my hometown 90% of people in the store were only hanging out with friends...
Rambeaux

Malvern, PA

#17 May 10, 2014
TheOriginalDoby wrote:
Yes, Borders, Encore, Waldenbooks, etc. are all history. And these were national chains. Also newspapers are dying. It seems that anything in print that does not appear on a screen, is defunct.

Level 2

#18 May 11, 2014
BrownEboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you, but that isn't the only reason why this business plummeted. Like the other poster stated, it's most likely due to technology. This country is becoming more and more technologically advanced and even less and less White children and adults aren't buying books like they used to anymore. I even see high schools going to the route of technology rather than solely books for learning. I do get your point though. Blacks need to start supporting more Black businesses.
Yea maybe i was stubborn because i'm a book lover (and a bit techno-phobic), but it is true technology really is replacing everything.

“Do good 4 the good of humanity”

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#19 May 11, 2014
Transition wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea maybe i was stubborn because i'm a book lover (and a bit techno-phobic), but it is true technology really is replacing everything.
I'm in the middle with technology and books. I have a lot of gadgets, but I have more books and still read a lot more than from them. I dig book stores especially when I have some stuff to get done. I hope there's another Black owned book store replace theirs over in CA. Blacks really have an issue with not supporting enough Black businesses though. All of those billions of dollars being wasted to other people who have no intention on shopping at Black businesses even if it was the only business in their neighborhood right next door.
ShiningAxe

Denver, CO

#20 May 11, 2014
Transition wrote:
Blacks don't have the means to support black-owned businesses. Such businesses must subsist solely on black support, since everyone else knows that most of them are merely covers for drugs, prostitution or human trafficking.

Take care of your own or not. It's not important. There is no economic impact from black-owned businesses. As with everything, what blacks in the US do creates nothing more than a bunch of a drama and a few headlines every day.

Oh, and before some random darky starts chimping, there's peanut butter. Yeah, that's meaningful.

Level 2

#21 May 11, 2014
Black Bookworm Wizard wrote:
<quoted text>
4 years ago in my old hometown, a small bookstore closed down and then a year later, a national chain bookstore closed down.(Borders) There are black bookstores that continue to thrive in Atlanta,Ga.
I feel ya on the issue with the 'acting white' nonsense. When I detect or see any black person near me like that, I move away from them.
R.I.F. Reading Is Fundamental!(Comprehension makes it grand!)
I agree, i really hated it when i saw other being picked of for "acting white", yet the same people that would pick on them, would be the same people that try to put them down when they fail.
Colored Males Are Boys

Miami, FL

#22 May 11, 2014
Negroe businesses as a whole never were nor ever will be desirable or popular with "even other" negroes because the places are usually very gloomy & dismal looking & unsanitary with numerous unsavory characters walking around the place eying legitimate customers wallets & purses, the owners & employees all appear lethargic or catatonic possibly from dope addiction, they dress in faux African garb that they know nothing about the history of plus they charge way too much for the counterfeit crap they peddle & don't file taxes on their sales which is a federal offense so why would any decent, hard working tax paying citizen even go there, I mean really.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What race are Somalis? (Aug '07) 4 min Moses 14,549
I'm pregnant by a black man....what do I tell m... 12 min Bobby T Canada 17
why do black men act tough ? (Jul '10) 16 min skysthelimit 122
Do black men like petite black women??? (Mar '08) 21 min Raph 435
why are white people so ugly? (Jan '16) 30 min Ensemble 124
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 34 min KiloEcho 47,367
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 37 min RoxLo 1,405,625
BM Thwarts White Rapist & Robber. 1 hr melissa__ 26
Black men need to keep having sex with white women (Jul '14) 3 hr DiamondSmile89 24
Why are YOU voting for Hillary ? 3 hr KIP 35
Waitress fired over 'N' word rant 5 hr Quantum Smoke 14
More from around the web