A White Woman is the ONLY love interest in the new movie, "Red Tails"

Posted in the African-American Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
dressingroom

AOL

#1 Jan 16, 2012
I just wanted to give Black women who are planning on seeing this movie a heads up. I attended an advanced screening for the film, "Red Tails," and there are absolutely NO Black women in this picture. Not a single soldier talks about a girlfriend, a wife, a sister or a mother in the film. No one even has a picture of Lena Horne on the wall! The only woman in the film is white; she plays the love interest to one of the black pilots. In real life, the Tuskegee Airmen were all married to black women,but the movie creator(s) saw fit to erase every single one of these black wives, and only feature a white female love interest for one of the black male characters.
Every war movie *except* those with black soldiers show the soldiers fighting to come home to their women (of the same race). This is true for every white war movie from the black and white era, to "Saving Private Ryan" and right on down to "The Dirty Dozen." When it comes to black soldiers, movie makers find ingenious ways of leaving black women out! This trend even touched "A Soldier's Story." I'm sure just as many and more IR happened with white soldiers, but guess what? Those are rarely-if-ever put front and center, if they even get shown at all, in hero movies with majority white casts.
George Lucas says he worked on this movie for 20 YEARS. Both of the screen writers are BLACK MEN. The director is a Black man. There are about 15 Black actors in this movie. You mean to tell me NONE of these men noticed that they didn't have wives, mothers or sisters? It was not an accident or an oversight that Black women were excised from this movie, this was intentional. There is always a angle in war movies that involves women. Whether its The Patriot or Saving Private Ryan, the women these men leave back home have a presence in the movie.
And now black women, who are once again NOT shown as women worth fighting for, are supposed to bear the burden of supporting “Red Tails.” Otherwise, we risk seeming ungrateful to Hollywood, unsupportive of black male actors, close minded to interracial themes or just plain too ignorant to see period pieces or anything that doesn't have Tyler Perry’s name on it.
Think about your daughters. If they are going to watch a film celebrating Black achievements, why are they discounted and pushed to the sidelines always for someone white? It doesn't matter how 'positive' the movie is in other regards, this is plain disgusting and just shows the contempt that these movie makers have for Black women. They expect us to automatically support with our dollars anything that degrades or just plain erases us from reality. It's a joke. Once again, Hollywood, gets the chance to put out a movie that tells the world (and it WILL be in worldwide distribution) that Black men value anyone and everyone other than Black women. If I were a black women who cares about her image, I would boycott this and advise other black women to do the same.
The boycott has begun, please join us:
[url=http://www.whataboutourda ughters.com/waod/2012/1/13/um- so-why-am-i-supposed-to-go-see -red-tails-are-there-any-bl.ht ml]Um So Why Am I Supposed to go See Red Tails? Are there any Black Women in it?[/url]
[url=http://wearerespectablene groes.blogspot.com/2012/01/sho uld-black-women-boycott-red-ta ils.html]Should Black Women Boycott red Tails?[/url]
[url=http://blogs.indiewire.co m/shadowandact/but-does-anyone -really-wants-to-see-red-tails ]But Does Anyone Really Want to See Red Tails?[/url]
THE RELIC

United States

#2 Jan 16, 2012
You sure are uggggllllllyyyyy!

I feel your concern, I accept what you've said and agree 100%.

You sure are ugggglllllllyyyyy!

I didn't like that in the color purple but, I was glad to see AA'S with some work, with a chance to display their acting skills.

Hollywood show nuff ain't our friend.

1. AAW are not always portrayed as we know them
2. AAM are not always portrayed as we know them

When we do get a chance, every blue moon. It is the hand we're dealt that we must play.

I hope the meaning implied will overshadow the contents of this movie and we see the deeper value of those that broke the glass ceiling. It was the Tuskegee Airmen that started AA on the road to first class citizenship.

I agree it would be spectacular to have a romantic scene with an AAW and show the passion AA's shared but...... We know the truth and we move on anyhow.

Go Red Tails

Level 5

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#3 Jan 16, 2012
Interesting... I watch a documentary on the History Channel, but have not seen the movie. I know one of the white soldiers on the documentary writes his wife apologizing for socializing with black soldiers and eating their food, etc. Reflective of the time, you can imagine the word he used to describe his black counterparts. It had nothing to do with BW being ugly, but focusing on the soldiers themselves. However, that letter was an ugly one.
THE RELIC wrote:
I didn't like that in the color purple but, I was glad to see AA'S with some work, with a chance to display their acting skills.
Hollywood show nuff ain't our friend.
1. AAW are not always portrayed as we know them
2. AAM are not always portrayed as we know them
When we do get a chance, every blue moon. It is the hand we're dealt that we must play.
I hope the meaning implied will overshadow the contents of this movie and we see the deeper value of those that broke the glass ceiling. It was the Tuskegee Airmen that started AA on the road to first class citizenship.
I agree it would be spectacular to have a romantic scene with an AAW and show the passion AA's shared but...... We know the truth and we move on anyhow.
Go Red Tails

Level 5

Location hidden

#4 Jan 16, 2012
In the documentary*

Level 5

Location hidden

#5 Jan 16, 2012
Jazmine Sullivan is in the movie, but I don't know her part other than Deborah "Love Bunny" Gannett.
Queen

AOL

#6 Jan 16, 2012
It's not about BW
It's not about BM...
It's about dividing BM/BW...
when BW hit the screen..her love interest is also white...KeKe's new movie..Joyful noise
My question is..will BP end the silly bashing of each other and deal with it or if BP don't like each other and going IR..what's the problem?

Level 3

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#7 Jan 16, 2012
Wow,if this is true, I find it ironic because some Negroes think the world of George Lucas because he has a BLACK WIFE. LOL! Like that means something. It's obvious the Black actors and actresses in Hollywood are powerless and are more concerned with getting work and staying paid.I'm a realist and understand that. Now George Lucas, on the other hand, has a lot of clout in Hollywood and this is his production. You would think being married to a Black woman he would have different sensitivities.I guess just like Thomas Jefferson and Strum Thurman,he knows how to compartmentalize his romantic relationships and his allegiance to whiteness. If only more Black could think the same way for their own.

I checked out the film on IMDB and a Black actress by the name of Edwina Findley ( CeCe )is listed in the credits. I don't know how her character fits into the story but she was the only Black woman listed. The white chick,I guess playing the love interest,appears on NCIS Los Angeles. Nothing special about her.

Level 5

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#8 Jan 17, 2012
I won't be watching it because I don't like Terrance Howard simple as that.

Level 5

Location hidden

#9 Jan 17, 2012
Original People wrote:
Wow,if this is true, I find it ironic because some Negroes think the world of George Lucas because he has a BLACK WIFE. LOL! Like that means something. It's obvious the Black actors and actresses in Hollywood are powerless and are more concerned with getting work and staying paid.I'm a realist and understand that. Now George Lucas, on the other hand, has a lot of clout in Hollywood and this is his production. You would think being married to a Black woman he would have different sensitivities.I guess just like Thomas Jefferson and Strum Thurman,he knows how to compartmentalize his romantic relationships and his allegiance to whiteness. If only more Black could think the same way for their own.
I checked out the film on IMDB and a Black actress by the name of Edwina Findley ( CeCe )is listed in the credits. I don't know how her character fits into the story but she was the only Black woman listed. The white chick,I guess playing the love interest,appears on NCIS Los Angeles. Nothing special about her.
I think he just put his name to it, they needed to put a ww in it to appeal to white women as well because war movies generally appeal to men. I think men and war movies really don't care if women are in it.

I think this movie would still make money if it had black women as wives in it and white women. But I think producers and directors have concern on whether people think movies with black people in it are seen or appreciated as masterpieces on the same level as movies with white people in them. And whether they would be recognized by respected award shows.

Level 7

Location hidden

#11 Jan 17, 2012
dressingroom wrote:
I just wanted to give Black women who are planning on seeing this movie a heads up. I attended an advanced screening for the film, "Red Tails," and there are absolutely NO Black women in this picture. Not a single soldier talks about a girlfriend, a wife, a sister or a mother in the film. No one even has a picture of Lena Horne on the wall! The only woman in the film is white; she plays the love interest to one of the black pilots. In real life, the Tuskegee Airmen were all married to black women,but the movie creator(s) saw fit to erase every single one of these black wives, and only feature a white female love interest for one of the black male characters.
Every war movie *except* those with black soldiers show the soldiers fighting to come home to their women (of the same race). This is true for every white war movie from the black and white era, to "Saving Private Ryan" and right on down to "The Dirty Dozen." When it comes to black soldiers, movie makers find ingenious ways of leaving black women out! This trend even touched "A Soldier's Story." I'm sure just as many and more IR happened with white soldiers, but guess what? Those are rarely-if-ever put front and center, if they even get shown at all, in hero movies with majority white casts.
George Lucas says he worked on this movie for 20 YEARS. Both of the screen writers are BLACK MEN. The director is a Black man. There are about 15 Black actors in this movie. You mean to tell me NONE of these men noticed that they didn't have wives, mothers or sisters? It was not an accident or an oversight that Black women were excised from this movie, this was intentional. There is always a angle in war movies that involves women. Whether its The Patriot or Saving Private Ryan, the women these men leave back home have a presence in the movie.
And now black women, who are once again NOT shown as women worth fighting for, are supposed to bear the burden of supporting “Red Tails.” Otherwise, we risk seeming ungrateful to Hollywood, unsupportive of black male actors, close minded to interracial themes or just plain too ignorant to see period pieces or anything that doesn't have Tyler Perry’s name on it.
Think about your daughters. If they are going to watch a film celebrating Black achievements, why are they discounted and pushed to the sidelines always for someone white? It doesn't matter how 'positive' the movie is in other regards, this is plain disgusting and just shows the contempt that these movie makers have for Black women. They expect us to automatically support with our dollars anything that degrades or just plain erases us from reality. It's a joke. Once again, Hollywood, gets the chance to put out a movie that tells the world (and it WILL be in worldwide distribution) that Black men value anyone and everyone other than Black women. If I were a black women who cares about her image, I would boycott this and advise other black women to do the same.
[url=http://www.whataboutourda ughters.com/waod/2012/1/13/um- so-why-am-i-supposed-to-go-see -red-tails-are-there-any-bl.ht ml]Um So Why Am I Supposed to go See Red Tails? Are there any Black Women in it?[/url]
[url=http://wearerespectablene groes.blogspot.com/2012/01/sho uld-black-women-boycott-red-ta ils.html]Should Black Women Boycott red Tails?[/url]
[url=http://blogs.indiewire.co m/shadowandact/but-does-anyone -really-wants-to-see-red-tails ]But Does Anyone Really Want to See Red Tails?[/url]
lol let me guess none of you filth boycotted Joyful Noise, right?
Stella

United States

#12 Jan 17, 2012
Jack 300 wrote:
<quoted text>
lol let me guess none of you filth boycotted Joyful Noise, right?
Any elevation of bm is a no no and must be "discouraged". We will not cease or desist as bm and we will soar.
Coca-Cola Body

Delray Beach, FL

#13 Jan 17, 2012
Smh....ppl still playing the blame game

Level 9

Since: Nov 10

#15 Jan 17, 2012
This is nothing new, Hollywood has always been like this. Even in the year 2012 we have seen how sitcoms and the media outlets continue to push Blacks to the back. What we see is expected not a suprise.

Will I avoid seeing a movie because it does not have a starting role for a Black woman? NO... Because this not a suprise.

Will I support a movie that does have starting roles for 15 wonderful Black actors? YES... who probably have a Black woman and family at home he need to support...

I mean how often do we see a movie with an all Black cast.

If you are going to boycott at least wait until the movie makes a few millions. Let's be honest, do you really believe they are going to pull a Lucas film.

There has been thousands of white movies without any Blacks, yet we're right there supporting by buying tickets.

Another thing, if this boycott is coming from someone on the net, don't be surprise if its coming from someone who doesn't want us to see this all Black cast movie become a success.
Sadbuttrue

Chantilly, VA

#16 Jan 17, 2012
THE RELIC-MACEO wrote:
MACEO, you can use as many profiles as you want; your diction is still the same!

Yes, there are a "Few" successful Black men but there less than 4%. Black women out number you as well as Black women are even in male dominated fields are fairing much better than Black males.

Let's take you for example; your the "Typical black man"! What I mean is that your:

1) Uneducated have less than HS education

2) Haven't progressed in your career and have no incentive to do so!

3) Married a Lowly White woman vs Black woman

4) Wasted years and decades chasing after lowly White women in your office.

5) Continue to put Black women down because you failed to work on your life

6) When you were married;your White wife she was the bread-winner in your household

7) Fail to Provide, assist, encourage, uplift the Black community in general

8) Show Extreme bitterness towards successful Black women as well as very attractive Black women who have themselves together.

9) Band together with "other Black males" to continue down the pathway of unsuccessful lives; blaming Black women.

10) Want Black women to continue lowering their standards to support Black males who don't support Black women, children and the community at large

11) You wait on a woman to provide economic solutions for Black males; unlike other races of men which propel forward seeking solutions to create better for their families as well as the next generation.

12) Lack the incentive to do anything with your lives. Unwilling to mentor, support or do for Black males or females when they want to succeed. You stay bitter, angry, jealous and envious!

These are all "Traits of the Lowly Black man" that refuse to do something constructive with your lives!

Any other race with "Common Sense" would praise and thank their women for doing as well as Black women have collectively on their own without your help or support.

Even White males and other races praise Black women's accomplishments in really making good progress towards change in their lives. Black men like you put them down!

Yet, Black men as a "Collective whole" has the worse social stats in almost every area of social life! From health, sexuality, marriage, family, education, social, spiritual; there is not one area that Black men haven't failed in as a collective whole.

What bothers me about men like you is "your content" and are constantly blaming Black women when their succeeding at a 75% greater rate than Black males!

Its time to abandon you Black males!

Its not like you contribute anything; matter of fact all of the stats point to that your taking the race down and your stance is apathetic towards not helping or uplifting any black women or children at all.

Black men's focus is to uplift, marry and support other races of women! When you've never provided the basics for the Black family!

Its sad and pathetic!

May I offer a solutions as a woman! lMAO Go mentor Black males so they don't go down another 40% decline because there have no Black males to teach, guide or direct them! Your too busy chasing "Puxxy, talking about how your getting over on women or into sports"!

How dare you harass Black women when you don't have your "Schitt together"; your marriage failed as well as your poor choices in your life" caught up to you! Matter of fact, your White wife was the bread-winner while you chased low rate White Trailer Trash women in your office!

Not only sad but shameful!
Sadbuttrue

Chantilly, VA

#17 Jan 17, 2012
MsNewNew-MACEO wrote:
This is nothing new, Hollywood has always been like this. Even in the year 2012 we have seen how sitcoms and the media outlets continue to push Blacks to the back. What we see is expected not a suprise.

Another thing, if this boycott is coming from someone on the net, don't be surprise if its coming from someone who doesn't want us to see this all Black cast movie become a success.
MACEO, you can use as many profiles as you want; your diction is still the same!

Yes, there are a "Few" successful Black men but there less than 4%. Black women out number you as well as Black women are even in male dominated fields are fairing much better than Black males.

Let's take you for example; your the "Typical black man"! What I mean is that your:

6) When you were married;your White wife she was the bread-winner in your household

8) Show Extreme bitterness towards successful Black women as well as very attractive Black women who have themselves together.

9) Band together with "other Black males" to continue down the pathway of unsuccessful lives; blaming Black women.

10) Want Black women to continue lowering their standards to support Black males who don't support Black women, children and the community at large

11) You wait on a woman to provide economic solutions for Black males; unlike other races of men which propel forward seeking solutions to create better for their families as well as the next generation.

12) Lack the incentive to do anything with your lives. Unwilling to mentor, support or do for Black males or females when they want to succeed. You stay bitter, angry, jealous and envious!

These are all "Traits of the Lowly Black man" that refuse to do something constructive with your lives!

Any other race with "Common Sense" would praise and thank their women for doing as well as Black women have collectively on their own without your help or support.

Even White males and other races praise Black women's accomplishments in really making good progress towards change in their lives. Black men like you put them down!

Yet, Black men as a "Collective whole" has the worse social stats in almost every area of social life! From health, sexuality, marriage, family, education, social, spiritual; there is not one area that Black men haven't failed in as a collective whole.

What bothers me about men like you is "your content" and are constantly blaming Black women when their succeeding at a 75% greater rate than Black males!

Its not like you contribute anything; matter of fact all of the stats point to that your taking the race down and your stance is apathetic towards not helping or uplifting any black women or children at all.

Black men's focus is to uplift, marry and support other races of women! When you've never provided the basics for the Black family!

Its sad and pathetic!

May I offer a solutions as a woman! lMAO Go mentor Black males so they don't go down another 40% decline because there have no Black males to teach, guide or direct them! Your too busy chasing "Puxxy, talking about how your getting over on women or into sports"!

How dare you harass Black women when you don't have your "Schitt together"; your marriage failed as well as your poor choices in your life" caught up to you! Matter of fact, your White wife was the bread-winner while you chased low rate White Trailer Trash women in your office!

Longwood, FL

#18 Jan 17, 2012
dressingroom wrote:
I just wanted to give Black women who are planning on seeing this movie a heads up.
I told you this monie was going to suck when NoMo first started beating his chest about it a MONTH ago.
Now the chickens come home to roost.
How gauche...lol!
Sadbuttrue

Chantilly, VA

#19 Jan 17, 2012
dressingroom-MACEO wrote:
Every war movie *except* those with black soldiers show the soldiers fighting to come home to their women (of the same race).
Why would he do that if it wasn't true to some extent?

Are you saying that George Lucas is a Racist? Mellody Hobson is not stunning but she influenced Lucas to proceed with the film. I'm sure she had some "Input" on the filming.

Most of the Black Actors in the films over 75%% of them are dating or married to White women! As much as Terrance Howard hates Black women why is he "Kissing" Mellody Hobsons arse in public?

Your the one that's been saying for the last 30 years MACEO that white women are the best choice for a black man!

Ill never let you live it down! lmao

Your taking the race into extinction! Black women do point to men like you as the culprit as to why they date/marrying White males now!
Sadbuttrue

Chantilly, VA

#20 Jan 17, 2012
oh Rea11y -MACEO wrote:
<quoted text>I told you this monie was going to suck when NoMo first started beating his chest about it a MONTH ago.
Now the chickens come home to roost.
How gauche...lol!
MACEO (your life online) lmao

Its sad and pathetic!

Level 3

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#21 Jan 17, 2012
islandgirl10 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think he just put his name to it, they needed to put a ww in it to appeal to white women as well because war movies generally appeal to men. I think men and war movies really don't care if women are in it.
I think this movie would still make money if it had black women as wives in it and white women. But I think producers and directors have concern on whether people think movies with black people in it are seen or appreciated as masterpieces on the same level as movies with white people in them. And whether they would be recognized by respected award shows.
No disrespect but what you just wrote is what a like to call "jiggabo logic ". Whitey,mainly WW,had no problem rushing to go see Precious or The Color Purple. Where were the white female love interest in those movies? Stop making excuses to justify their sick and demonic behavior towards Blacks at times. I heard white audiences stood up and applauded after the movie Precious ended. Come to think of it,a lot of WW went to see The Bachelor with Ty Diggs and Nia Long back in the day.Where was the white female lead in that movie? No, George Locas gets the full blame here. George Locas himself states he worked on this film for TWENTY YEARS,he didn't just put his name to it. Again,stop trying to defend "massa". Out of his own mouth he stated,get this,that he wanted the movie to be an inspiration to young Black boys. Well then in that case he might have wanted to show a HISTORICALLY ACCURATE love interest between a BM and BW,as most of the Black airmen were married to Black women JUST LIKE HIM.
fedupwiththemess

Ashburn, VA

#22 Jan 17, 2012
dressingroom wrote:
Thanks for the heads up. Why does whitey do this? Still placing the ugly white woman on a pedalstool.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min scirocco 1,144,495
we mestizos and indians dont like blacks so sto... 4 min I see triplets 588
Hannity Pre-Blames Obama For Any Violence In Fe... 4 min Retired SOF 136
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 5 min LION 26,692
Obama's Amnesty Pushes Blacks Aside 18 min scirocco 355
36 black owned etsy stores for blk Friday! 18 min coretta 4
So much for the NFL's 'NO MORE' campaign. 23 min I see triplets 5
FERGUSON....The fix was in the selection of the... 1 hr da white troll 342
Race relations take steep hit from Ferguson dec... 2 hr Rodd 29
Black Friday is Racist! (Oct '10) 3 hr luvlyroz 45