Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1603136 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1026715 Nov 19, 2013
ABC Poll

Key, though, are views among political independents – and in this group just 33 percent now approve of Obama’s work in office, while 63 percent disapprove. That’s a career low for Obama among independents, down 21 points since January and 10 points in just the past month.

At the same time, there’s also one core support group in which Obama is hurting – young adults, a group. The president’s overall approval rating has lost 23 points among adults age 18 to 29 since January, his steepest loss in any group. Their view that the country’s headed in the wrong direction has gained 20 points since May. And in just the past month, opposition to the health care law has jumped by 16 points among under-30s, with strong opposition up by 21 points.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/11/...
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1026716 Nov 19, 2013
OBAMANATION wrote:
<quoted text>
full meltdown IN PROGRESS!
lily/dem are always in meltdown.

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Level 4

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#1026717 Nov 19, 2013
John Galt wrote:
The Democratic National Committee is reducing ticket prices for a high-dollar fundraiser in San Francisco next week that features President Obama, according to an email sent to donors Monday.
Obama is set to appear at a luncheon at the SFJAZZ Center on Nov. 25 to benefit the DNC, but whether it's a sign of donor fatigue or a general lack of interest, tickets have not been selling as expected.
"An exciting new update I would love to mention is that we have reduced the price for the general admission luncheon tickets to $500/person," Shefali Razdan Duggal, a member of the DNC's national finance committee, wrote in the email. "In addition, all current $1000 ticket holders will be upgraded to VIP (this includes premium seating near the stage and Presidential rope line access)."
Originally, entry-level tickets for the event started at $1,000, so the DNC is offering what amounts to a 50 percent discount.
The event will be one of a handful of Democratic fundraisers the president attends on his West Coast swing, but the tepid response so far could be an early indicator of waning interest in the president and his public appearances, which until now appeared to be surviving the problems he's been having with the rollout of his health care plan.
The Market sets the price. Soon, they'll be giving away Trayvon Hoodies and Flat-Screen TV Door-Prizes to attract attendees.
NO BULLSHIRT

Louisburg, NC

#1026718 Nov 19, 2013
When President Obama said last week that insurers could extend for another year health plans that fall short of the Affordable Care Act’s minimum standards, actuaries had “an old-fashioned freakout,” says Elaine Corrough, a fellow of the Society of Actuaries who consults with health insurers. The reversal, a response to public anger over a wave of cancellations this fall, added another layer of uncertainty for insurers already unclear about whether they will collect enough in premiums next year to cover medical claims.
The White House told insurers not to sweat it.“Though this transitional policy was not anticipated by health insurance issuers when setting rates for 2014, the risk corridor program should help ameliorate unanticipated changes in premium revenue,” wrote Gary Cohen, the Health and Human Services official overseeing much of the health law’s implementation, in a letter (PDF) to insurance regulators. He suggested the program could be modified to soften the blow.
The risk corridors are part of an obscure set of Obamacare rules intended to protect insurance companies from deep losses if they sign up too many sick people—an insurance policy for insurance companies. It’s one of the so-called Three Rs—reinsurance, risk adjustment, and risk corridors—meant to backstop health plans through byzantine adjustments in the transition to a new marketplace where carriers can’t turn sick people away.
Story: Obamacare's Insurance Cancellations: A Feature, Not a Bug
Here’s how the Three Rs work. Reinsurance pays insurance companies much of the cost after a patient’s medical costs exceed $60,000 per year, drawing on a $10 billion pot of money for next year funded by a $63 tax on every single health plan. The program collects even from large, employer-sponsored coverage but only makes payments to help individual and small-group plans.“It’s really transferring money from the group market to the individual market,” says Hans Leida, an actuary at consulting firm Milliman. The temporary program is meant to keep rates down, which means they’ll go up as it phases out over the next three years.
After insurers tally the claims they pay out in 2014, another program known as risk adjustment takes some premium money from health plans that paid out less than average—that is, their members were generally healthier—and gives it to plans with higher medical claims. This Robin Hood-style redistribution takes away insurers’ incentives to recruit only healthy, low-risk people. It’s permanent and meant to be a zero-sum program to spread risk across carriers.
The third program, called risk corridors, is a temporary way to limit insurers’ potential losses and profits. It applies only to insurers selling plans on the health exchanges. The mechanics are complex, but the gist is this: If it turns out a health plan set its rates too high—collecting much more in premiums than it paid out—the carrier pays a portion of the excess to the government. On the other hand, if insurers set rates too low, the government will backstop some of their losses.“It’s sort of a safe harbor for actuaries to not have to price too high to make sure they don’t get it wrong,” says Joel Ario, former director of the federal Office of Health Insurance Exchanges now working with advisory firm Mannatt Health Solutions.“That program then could cost the federal Treasury some money, or it could give the Treasury some money.”
AND THE OBAMA VOTERS THOUGHT TED CRUZ WAS FULL OF
BULLSHIT!!!!!
LCNLin

United States

#1026719 Nov 19, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
and which is not the accepted version of the speech as delivered....
"...not the accepted version...." bwaahahahahahahahahahahahahaha h
Level 1

Since: Aug 13

Bozeman, MT

#1026720 Nov 19, 2013
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>Calm down booby, we were discussing the DOHS and the TSA both created by a Republican president to take away more of our freedoms
Obama gladly signed legislation extending several key provisions of the Patriot Act shortly before they were set to expire.

The provisions deal with roving wiretaps, the tracking of alleged "lone wolf" terrorists, and the ability of law enforcement officials to obtain records they deem relevant to an investigation after securing an order from a federal court.
Level 1

Bozeman, MT

#1026721 Nov 19, 2013
SENATOR Obama warned us about Patriot Act abuses that have happened under PRESIDENT Obama

"[W]hen he was a Senator, Barack Obama had plenty to say about the dangers of those provisions of the PATRIOT Act that have served as the basis for the NSA surveillance programs that we’ve learned about over the past two months."

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/senator-obam...

Only in D.C..
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1026722 Nov 19, 2013
The Obama admin argued in Federal Court prior to the SCOTUS decision...

"Even under the grandfathering provision, it is projected that more group health plans will transition to the requirements under the regulations as time goes on. Defendants have estimated that a majority of group health plans will have lost their grandfather status by the end of 2013."

They were using this as a "selling" point.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1026723 Nov 19, 2013
Homer wrote:
Here is what he actually said in his reference to 100 million, he made no reference to 100 million people signing up -
More than 100 million Americans have gotten free preventive care like mammograms and contraceptive care with no copays. That’s all part of the law.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/20...
This is fun debunking rightwing propaganda.
whitehouse.gov is a propaganda site that conflicts with real news sources....
Level 1

Bozeman, MT

#1026724 Nov 19, 2013
Homer wrote:
With " whitehouse.gov " as the source of your debunking???

LMAO!(AYBLAI)
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1026725 Nov 19, 2013
Filed in "maybe there is some causes you shouldn't get your name linked with"....

On World Toilet Day, Matt Damon focuses on world's water and toilet crisis

http://thelead.blogs.cnn.com/2013/11/19/on-wo...
LCNLin

United States

#1026726 Nov 19, 2013
Homer wrote:
Here is what he actually said in his reference to 100 million, he made no reference to 100 million people signing up -
More than 100 million Americans have gotten free preventive care like mammograms and contraceptive care with no copays. That’s all part of the law.
Remarks by the President to ACA Coalition Partners and Supporters

St. Regis Hotel
Washington, D.C.

5:58 P.M. EST

THE PRESIDENT: Hello, everybody!(Applause.) Hey!(Applause.) Thank you, everybody. Have a seat. Have a seat. Hey!(Applause.) It is good to see you. And thank you to -- give Leslie a big round of applause for the wonderful introduction.(Applause.) Leslie is an example of folks on the ground who are just working day in, day out, through rain and -- I guess no snow in Florida, but --(laughter)-- rain, or hot sun. But it’s just a real honor to have somebody like Leslie introduce me, because that’s what not only our health reform effort is all about, but that’s what our politics is all about. She’s just a great example -- as are all of you.

I want to thank two leaders who’ve been working really hard to do the same on behalf of people that they serve. First of all, Governor Deval Patrick of Massachusetts.(Applause.) And Congressman Eliot Engel, who’s been doing outstanding work. Give Eliot a big round of applause.(Applause.)

And I am proud to be with all of you. Some of your groups who are represented here have made access to affordable health care your mission. That’s what you do. You’ve been organizing even before I was President, because you understood how important it was. Some of you have made this the cause of your lives. So today, I’m here to simply say thank you. We could not have passed this law without you. And we’re not going to be able to get the job done without you.
LCNLin

United States

#1026727 Nov 19, 2013
It was five years ago today that I had the honor of being elected President.(Applause.) Some of you remember, I had no gray hair --(laughter)-- and Malia came up to here --(laughter)-- and Sasha was about here. And across so many fronts, we’ve made just incredible progress. In other areas, we’ve still got more work to do. But there’s not a day that goes by that I am not incredibly humbled by this extraordinary privilege to be able to serve the American people.

And it fills me with resolve -- every time I meet folks like you each and every day, it fills me with resolve to make sure that every minute, every hour of every day that I’m in this office, I am working hard to make sure that your lives and your children’s lives and grandchildren’s lives are just a little bit better.

AUDIENCE MEMBER: Thank you!(Applause.)

THE PRESIDENT: And during the campaign, I made you a promise. I promised that by the end of my first term, I would have passed health care reform into law. I would have signed that bill. And thanks to your help, we did that. We got it done.(Applause.)

Now, let’s face it, a lot of us didn’t realize that passing the law was the easy part.(Laughter.) But there’s been so much noise and so much misinformation, and this incredible organized effort to block the notion that everybody should have affordable health care in this country that I think it’s important for us to step back and take a look at what’s already been accomplished -- because a lot of times it doesn’t make news. Controversies make news, but what’s happened quietly across the country over the last three years hasn’t got a lot of attention. In fact, a lot of the people who are benefiting don’t even know it.

Because of you, the insurance market now has the strongest consumer protections that this country has ever known. No more discriminating against kids with preexisting conditions. No more dropping your policy when you get sick. No more lifetime limits on the care that you can receive. All of that and more is part of a new Patient’s Bill of Rights that’s smack dab in the middle of the Affordable Care Act, and it’s helping people right now.(Applause.)

Because of you, there are 3 million young adults under the age of 26 that are getting coverage by staying on their parents’ plan right now -- including Leslie’s son. That happened because of you.(Applause.) Because of you, millions of seniors on Medicare have saved hundreds of dollars on their prescription medicine. It’s already happened. They may not be aware of it, but that’s already taking place. They’re saving money because of the work that you did.
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1026728 Nov 19, 2013
Doctor shortages are coming!

"Meanwhile, doctors have been unwilling to sign up to participate in Obamacare. In a poll conducted by the New York State Medical Society, 44 percent of the M.D.'s surveyed said they are not participating; another third said they are not sure they want to. Three out of four physicians who have signed on said they "had to" because of contractual obligations with an insurer or medical provider."

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/mzuckerman/arti...
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1026729 Nov 19, 2013
"The Congressional Budget Office originally estimated the Obama exchange's 2014 outlays would be $15 billion. It has upped that amount to $24 billion. Earlier on, it had pegged the cost for 2015 to 2019 at $337 billion, and the CBO now predicts $420 billion for that time period. When Medicare was passed in 1965, predictions were it would cost $12 billion in 1990; it actually cost $110 billion. No wonder Warren Buffett said that health care costs in the United States are "like a tapeworm eating at our economic body."

John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1026730 Nov 19, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Remarks by the President to ACA Coalition Partners and Supporters
St. Regis Hotel
Washington, D.C.
5:58 P.M. EST
THE PRESIDENT: Hello, everybody!(Applause.) Hey!(Applause.) Thank you, everybody. Have a seat. Have a seat. Hey!(Applause.) It is good to see you. And thank you to -- give Leslie a big round of applause for the wonderful introduction.(Applause.) Leslie is an example of folks on the ground who are just working day in, day out, through rain and -- I guess no snow in Florida, but --(laughter)-- rain, or hot sun. But it’s just a real honor to have somebody like Leslie introduce me, because that’s what not only our health reform effort is all about, but that’s what our politics is all about. She’s just a great example -- as are all of you.
I want to thank two leaders who’ve been working really hard to do the same on behalf of people that they serve. First of all, Governor Deval Patrick of Massachusetts.(Applause.) And Congressman Eliot Engel, who’s been doing outstanding work. Give Eliot a big round of applause.(Applause.)
And I am proud to be with all of you. Some of your groups who are represented here have made access to affordable health care your mission. That’s what you do. You’ve been organizing even before I was President, because you understood how important it was. Some of you have made this the cause of your lives. So today, I’m here to simply say thank you. We could not have passed this law without you. And we’re not going to be able to get the job done without you.
text of written speech for teleprompter, not necessarily as delivered...

when Obama ad libs, he fcks up....
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1026731 Nov 19, 2013
Whatever wrote:
Doctor shortages are coming!
"Meanwhile, doctors have been unwilling to sign up to participate in Obamacare. In a poll conducted by the New York State Medical Society, 44 percent of the M.D.'s surveyed said they are not participating; another third said they are not sure they want to. Three out of four physicians who have signed on said they "had to" because of contractual obligations with an insurer or medical provider."
why would any doctor who already had a full patient load want these loses???...

“Often imitated”

Level 6

Since: Jul 07

never duplicated

#1026732 Nov 19, 2013
Homer wrote:
Burns requested that President Obama read the 'Nicolay Version' of the Gettysburg Address, which was Lincoln's first draft of the Address and does not contain the phrase "under God."
So the president does this then rightwing blogs go ballistic and post the video of the president doing this and accuse him of omitting 'under God' from the speech.
I believe that is the definition of evil. You rightwingers are some sick puppies.
Obama can't say no, fckface?
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1026733 Nov 19, 2013
California home sales down for third month in a row...
Level 1

Bozeman, MT

#1026734 Nov 19, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Accurate description ... the racists will howl as they usually do.
Just about the only response LIEberal democRATS have to their own racist past: blame the GOP.

"The House version of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was supported by only 61 percent of that Chamber's Democrats versus 80 percent of the Republicans.

More importantly, it was Republicans that ended a Democrat filibuster preventing a vote on this bill in the Senate. 82 percent of Republicans voted for cloture versus 66 percent of Democrats.

In the final Senate vote on the Act, 82 percent of Republicans voted "Aye" versus 69 percent of Democrats.

Southern Democrats? 7 "Aye" – 87 "Nay"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News On Twitter, Trump accuses blacks of racism thre... 3 min Retribution 138
NFL ratings declining 3 min Ape Trainer 42
Negroes are vulgar, degenerate perverts. 20 min Jax 37
NFL verses NASCAR 29 min Got_Rope 1
Once you go black NO ONE wants you back! (Apr '09) 43 min spyrograf jr 7
News Trump Repeats Call to Fire Athletes Who Kneel f... 47 min Marcus Washington 82
DISRESPECTING Whites; Demise of Euro-centric Wo... 47 min Tom 2
There are over 50 black majority nations on Earth. 2 hr Reverend Nogkicker 39
White Desperation on Topix to have Blacks ACCEP... 4 hr Whitesupreme 32
More from around the web