Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1579418 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1018150 Nov 4, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
Enough Already on HealthCare.gov . Don’t You Remember Medicare Part D?
Republicans certainly deserved a few weeks of ‘toldja so!’ about the site’s awful rollout. But why can’t they start helping their constituents figure it out now, as Democrats did with Bush’s Medicare Part D?
I refer, of course, to the Medicare Part D implementation in late 2005 and early 2006. That was the big prescription drug bill passed in 2003. You remember—it’s the one where the Republicans didn’t have the votes in the House, even though they controlled the House, and Speaker Tom DeLay held the floor open for 15 minutes after the bell rang as his lieutenants went around and badgered and threatened some GOP members until they changed their vote from nay to aye. My, how at home DeLay would have been with the Tea Partiers.
Anyhow. Most Democrats voted against the bill. In the House just 16 of 203 Democratic members voted yes. In the Senate, however, 11 of 48 Democrats voted for the new Bush entitlement. First, let’s just stop right there. Could you imagine 16 and 11 Republicans ever voting for an Obama legislative priority, something that was clearly Obama’s “baby” in the same way that the Part D bill was Bush’s? There’d be no end to the slobbering over Republicans for being so reasonable. As I recall, the Democrats were attacked at the time for not supporting the bill enough.
So they didn’t. And then, two years later, the rollout came. It was a mess. In mid-October 2005, the Bush administration announced a delay. Reason? It was Yom Kippur, and evidently no one wanted to offend elderly Jews who wouldn’t be using their computers. Right. So it was delayed. But a month later, as Jon Perr noted recently at Crooks & Liars, the planned comparison-shopping website still wasn’t up and running. Even after it finally was, it was confusing and a mess. Some sample headlines:“Web-based Comparison of Prescription Plans Delayed,” The Washington Post; “Glitches Mar Launch of Medicare Drug Plan,” The Wall Street Journal; “President Tells Insurers to Aid Ailing Medicare Drug Plan,” The New York Times.
Needless to say, some of the same people now trying to put the hex on Obamacare spent 2006 pooh-poohing—you guessed it—“glitches,” as Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX) put it back then. I’m sure they’d say they’re different things, and it’s true the Affordable Care Act is a bigger undertaking. But they’re precisely similar in spirit—big, new government programs that depended largely on citizen interaction via personal computer. And the ACA fixes what was the biggest problem created by Part D, the so-called doughnut hole in prescription drug coverage. So the Obama bill corrects what was conspicuously awful about the Bush bill. Yes, they are different!
But the biggest difference is not how Republicans behaved back then but how Democrats did. Most Democrats voted against the law. But they did not then sue the Bush administration and try to take the thing to the Supreme Court and get it invalidated. And then, when the start-up was a cock-up, Democrats didn’t go around saying it was proof the law had to go. They tried to fix it. Hillary Clinton, then a senator, said:“I voted against it, but once it passed I certainly determined that I would try to do everything I could to make sure that New Yorkers understood it, could access it, and make the best of it.”
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/10...
but when you're dealing with people who have no morals or ethics you end up with a group of them getting together on inauguration day planning a coup of the sitting government. and heaven forbid that the new guy tries to pass off a conservative idea as his own.
unlike ObamaKKKare, Medicare Part D was and is a voluntary program...
Laney F

Jamaica, NY

#1018152 Nov 4, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
sure. as soon as the poll numbers flip.
so when do you think the nutjobs will quit ruling the GOP?
The plan is now to exhume Ted Kennedy, like in Weekend with Bernie. He's going to be the Lion, I mean Lyin of the Republicans and we are going to call him The One.(Not sure which secretary we'll have him drown yet). Next up will be to have him commit sex acts on the desk in the Oval office with a subordinate. And then, the plan will be to find a foreign exchange student whose only previous recognition was in a gang of potheads and who went to college disguised as a foreign aide student but we'll have his records sealed. As long as all along we promise free late term abortion for convenience and paid for by others, we'll do fine and be culturally popular amongst the Occupy types who believe in wealth redistribution.

Level 1

Since: May 11

Newville, PA

#1018153 Nov 4, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it.
You write like just another dupe on the government dole.
Prove it how, state my income?

Look, Mr Subsidized salary, subsidized health insurance,it takes a lot of nerve you who lives off of a subsidized industry to speak ill of anyone else getting help from the government.

Whenever you decide to man up & make it on your own, then we can talk.

You are another dupe on the government dole.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1018154 Nov 4, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
It is obvious that the policy owner should be responsible to return any subsidy money if he understated his income.
Who else should it be?
do you demand that other welfare recipients repay money to which they were not entitled???

ObamaKKKare is just medical food stamps....

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#1018155 Nov 4, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it.
You write like just another dupe on the government dole.
"Prove it."

Spoken like the loser you are, Dweeb.

For one who's lied about everything possible, it's laughable to see you demand proof from others.

You give new meaning to the words 'mentally challenged midget'.

“Constitutionalis t”

Level 1

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#1018156 Nov 4, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>Well, I can tell you about the guy who killed children in defense of Christianity son!
That wouldn't have been one of the Democrat mass murderers that have so often been in the news the past few years, would it?
How many Democrat mass murders have there been in the past 10 years?... can you count them all?

There are so many Democrat mass murders, if you tried to list all of them there'd always be a couple you just didn't recall.

Help us out here. Let's see if you can list all the Democrat mass murderers and not forget anyone:

We have to pick a starting point, I guess... there are so many.

How about Democrat mass murders since the DC sniper.

1).....
2).....
3).....

give it a shot. Let's see how good your memory is.
Laney F

Jamaica, NY

#1018157 Nov 4, 2013
leosnana wrote:
<quoted text>I actually did fall off my chair and [email protected] It's quite obvious that the Beck, Limbaughtomy, Shamity audiences really are as dumb as their materialist, dishonest idols think they are--they listen lies, ill-will, and sedition day in/day out, 24/7. I don't know what they're so violent, but I can't stand the sound of their voices long enough to listen to them.
Dishonest idols?

Ah, did not have sex with that woooman.

If you like your health insurance, you can keep it. Period.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1018158 Nov 4, 2013
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>I'm talking about individuals, rightwing businessmen. The government(Republicans and Democrats) have been screwing us for years.
big business is largely DemoKKKrat-lite, regardless of political party...fools like Jeff Immelt, who make deals with the devil...

“Bill Clinton could have ”

Level 1

Since: May 10

Prevented this

#1018160 Nov 4, 2013
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>So you are saying all those people are very popular in Virginia? Flack!
Are saying they are? I don't think the coal workers would ever want to vote for a democrat. Do you?

“Constitutionalis t”

Level 1

Spring, TX

#1018161 Nov 4, 2013
Nuculur option wrote:
"Turn out the lights, the Tea Party is over"
2010 was the high water mark. Since then we've seen Teabags popularity decline below measurable levels.
Noew they've lost elections in NJ, and are on the cusp of being humiliated in VA.
The darling of the Teabags, Michelle Bachmann, is retiring from politics.
But at least she's not quitting like the stinking dead fish from Alaska.
The parallel universe here on Topix is filled with true Teabag believers.
Losers all. Which is why y'all stay on here, to commisserate with others as insipidly ignorant as you are.
HILLARY FOR PRESIDENT IN 2016!!
Math quiz time....

What does it mean when the TEA Party has three times the approval rating of Congress as a whole?

Location hidden

#1018162 Nov 4, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama is fckn the middle class, so gotta fight back in kind against you street rabble...
And you've been losing every round!!

I recall you saying the same before the Gov't shutdown.

The one that caused Repugnants to become the Party all Americans hate.

The one that put a knife in Cuccinellli's VA campaign.

Keep fighting. A loser like you is easy to whip repeatedly.

I'm lovin' it!!

Level 5

Since: Jul 08

We will not go gentle

#1018163 Nov 4, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately for you, the only ones doing the screwing and lying and stabbing in the back are on your side of the fence.
Obamacare is screwing millions of Americans without insurance after being lied to and the exchanges are stabbing them in the back.
How can you deny that?
Oh, Batty, did you never learn that statements using always, never, all, or only are almost always false? You never had the chance to screw up "America's future" as you could not have received a degree and certification with test score like that.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1018164 Nov 4, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> Well the TEA Party should tell them to shut the hell up. Or make it clear that they will not support anyone who campaigns on anything besides fiscal policy.
agreed...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1018166 Nov 4, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
What you apparently can't seem to come to terms with is religious and anti-abortion people are on both sides of the fence. Just as there are non-religious and pro-choice people.
The religious and anti-abortion people on the left are silent out of blind loyalty. And you rarely hear anyone on the right making an issue out of religion or abortion except when the left declares an invisible war - and then the liberal media cherry picks who gets the media attention because they think they are DuPont and their product has to be non-stick.
Whether or not the religious and anti-abortion blacks switch parties following the lead of the pastor who said the left doesn't represent their values anymore remains to be seen.
But they're still there. As are whites who stay on the left side of the fence regardless of their values not being represented.
religion has no place in politics...and you church people cannot ban abortion even with overwhelming Republican majorities in Congress and the White House...so stop tilting at windmills...

Location hidden

#1018167 Nov 4, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
That wouldn't have been one of the Democrat mass murderers that have so often been in the news the past few years, would it?
How many Democrat mass murders have there been in the past 10 years?... can you count them all?
There are so many Democrat mass murders, if you tried to list all of them there'd always be a couple you just didn't recall.
Help us out here. Let's see if you can list all the Democrat mass murderers and not forget anyone:
We have to pick a starting point, I guess... there are so many.
How about Democrat mass murders since the DC sniper.
1).....
2).....
3).....
give it a shot. Let's see how good your memory is.
Here's Dweeb, doing what he does best.

Talking thru his ass.

Gun nuts are a distinctly Repugnant problem. Funny how you nitwits say Dems are afraid of guns and want them outlawed, then turn around and accuse Dems of mass murder, clearly a Repugnant tactic.

The skinhead in AZ was a Teabagger.

The kid from CT was an NRA member.

Case closed, as is your mind, midget.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1018168 Nov 4, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
as soon as McCain, Graham, and McConnell are retired...
so why the major disapproval of tea party tactics?

but hey, stay in fantasy land while you keep losing elections for 'not being conservative enough'.

want an up to date example? E. W. Jackson. he lost his race on day one of his campaign.

Level 5

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#1018169 Nov 4, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
Enough Already on HealthCare.gov . Don’t You Remember Medicare Part D?
Republicans certainly deserved a few weeks of ‘toldja so!’ about the site’s awful rollout. But why can’t they start helping their constituents figure it out now, as Democrats did with Bush’s Medicare Part D?
I refer, of course, to the Medicare Part D implementation in late 2005 and early 2006. That was the big prescription drug bill passed in 2003. You remember—it’s the one where the Republicans didn’t have the votes in the House, even though they controlled the House, and Speaker Tom DeLay held the floor open for 15 minutes after the bell rang as his lieutenants went around and badgered and threatened some GOP members until they changed their vote from nay to aye. My, how at home DeLay would have been with the Tea Partiers.
Anyhow. Most Democrats voted against the bill. In the House just 16 of 203 Democratic members voted yes. In the Senate, however, 11 of 48 Democrats voted for the new Bush entitlement. First, let’s just stop right there. Could you imagine 16 and 11 Republicans ever voting for an Obama legislative priority, something that was clearly Obama’s “baby” in the same way that the Part D bill was Bush’s? There’d be no end to the slobbering over Republicans for being so reasonable. As I recall, the Democrats were attacked at the time for not supporting the bill enough.
So they didn’t. And then, two years later, the rollout came. It was a mess. In mid-October 2005, the Bush administration announced a delay. Reason? It was Yom Kippur, and evidently no one wanted to offend elderly Jews who wouldn’t be using their computers. Right. So it was delayed. But a month later, as Jon Perr noted recently at Crooks & Liars, the planned comparison-shopping website still wasn’t up and running. Even after it finally was, it was confusing and a mess. Some sample headlines:“Web-based Comparison of Prescription Plans Delayed,” The Washington Post; “Glitches Mar Launch of Medicare Drug Plan,” The Wall Street Journal; “President Tells Insurers to Aid Ailing Medicare Drug Plan,” The New York Times.
Needless to say, some of the same people now trying to put the hex on Obamacare spent 2006 pooh-poohing—you guessed it—“glitches,” as Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX) put it back then. I’m sure they’d say they’re different things, and it’s true the Affordable Care Act is a bigger undertaking. But they’re precisely similar in spirit—big, new government programs that depended largely on citizen interaction via personal computer. And the ACA fixes what was the biggest problem created by Part D, the so-called doughnut hole in prescription drug coverage. So the Obama bill corrects what was conspicuously awful about the Bush bill. Yes, they are different!
But the biggest difference is not how Republicans behaved back then but how Democrats did. Most Democrats voted against the law. But they did not then sue the Bush administration and try to take the thing to the Supreme Court and get it invalidated. And then, when the start-up was a cock-up, Democrats didn’t go around saying it was proof the law had to go. They tried to fix it. Hillary Clinton, then a senator, said:“I voted against it, but once it passed I certainly determined that I would try to do everything I could to make sure that New Yorkers understood it, could access it, and make the best of it.”
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/10...
but when you're dealing with people who have no morals or ethics you end up with a group of them getting together on inauguration day planning a coup of the sitting government. and heaven forbid that the new guy tries to pass off a conservative idea as his own.
Medicare Part D compared to Obamacare is like a paper cut compared to disembowelment.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1018170 Nov 4, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
unlike ObamaKKKare, Medicare Part D was and is a voluntary program...
tell the deficit. it's evidently not buying into that excuse.

“Constitutionalis t”

Level 1

Spring, TX

#1018171 Nov 4, 2013
Nuculur option wrote:
<quoted text>
"Prove it."
Spoken like the loser you are, Dweeb.
For one who's lied about everything possible, it's laughable to see you demand proof from others.
You give new meaning to the words 'mentally challenged midget'.
I'll just pull up one of the many questions you can't answer.

Why does Baghdad Bob have more credibility in the world than Jay Carney? Why does Zimbabwe have more credibility in the world than the United States?

... another one comes to mind....

Why are the United States Armed Forces training Al Qaeda terrorists on a US military base in Jordan?

... let's not forget this one that you run from liek the plague....

Where will the money come from to pay for Obama's government?

Oh, hell. Why stop now....

Why did Obama lie for two weeks covering up the Al Qaeda attack on the United States in Benghazi?

... maybe one more...

Why didn't Obama have a clue the ObamaKare website was f*ck*d to hell and back when every other person in the entire administration knew it?

... another one comes to mind....

Why did we need to pay Obama to write the software when Michelle's classmate from Princeton was going to steal it?

.... maybe one more.....

Why was Obama so ignorant about what was written in ObamaKare, he made some ludicrous statement like "if you like your health care plan, you can keep it"?
Even you have to admit only the most ignorant person in the room would say something like that. Everyone knew that was a lie as soon as it came out of his mouth?

Would you call Obama the most ignorant president we ever had?
(You don't have to answer this question. You need all your abilities to answer the previous ones you continually run away from.)

“Constitutionalis t”

Level 1

Spring, TX

#1018172 Nov 4, 2013
Nuculur option wrote:
<quoted text>
And you've been losing every round!!
I recall you saying the same before the Gov't shutdown.
The one that caused Repugnants to become the Party all Americans hate.
The one that put a knife in Cuccinellli's VA campaign.
Keep fighting. A loser like you is easy to whip repeatedly.
I'm lovin' it!!
What government shutdown?

Like I say to the television when one of those ghosts-are-real shows are on. Show me the ghost.
Show me the government shutdown.
There wasn't any government shutdown, moron.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Southerners memorialize war heroes San francisc... 3 min El Rey del Mundo 1
Primates ('whites') Seem to be Hiding A Big Big... 7 min The Righteous Axe 2
The Hegemony of the Western World & the USA Emp... 9 min White Power NOT T... 1
News Trump's lack of moral compass leaves America on... 2 hr UIDIOTRACEMAKEWOR... 22
What the 6,000 man White Nationalist rally mean... 2 hr SBT 58
Black males are Garbage men 2 hr SBT 1
Is this what they're afraid of? 3 hr SBT 10
Will people start destroying monuments to Liber... 5 hr Sadbuttrue 28
I have token white friends. 5 hr Sadbuttrue 65
News On Twitter, Trump accuses blacks of racism thre... 6 hr Sadbuttrue 89
Today's dead mudshark. 10 august 2017 7 hr Fun Facts 41
Cavebeasts of Topix 8 hr Fun Facts 30
More from around the web