Activists rally in Detroit for immigration reform

Apr 10, 2013 Full story: Detroit News 1,155

A few dozen members of a coalition of labor activists held a brief rally outside a Homeland Security office Wednesday in support of sweeping immigration reform being considered in Congress.

Full Story
Marcus Washington

Austin, TX

#43 Apr 11, 2013
Sinajuavi wrote:
<quoted text>
Idiot. Mexican people have been fighting their corrupt govt for a long time. They get killed for it. They've fought back consistently and including a long bloody revolution in part sabotaged by the USA so just where do YOU get off passing judgment on Mexico?
USA corporations currently control the Mexican economy, and the country is being strangled by drug cartels thanks to USA's misguided and ill-conceived “War on Drugs”.
Gringo pendejo... look at the mess your tacky-assed empire has made, and you like a chump defend it.
LMBAO bruh. You've always been one intelligent mofo. You even helped me get rid of my itching hemmorhoids. bTW when are you gonna hook me up with some Intelligent ho?
bob

Phoenix, AZ

#44 Apr 11, 2013
Manuel wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to use a burdizzo senior.
Nah , ill leave it to the professionals . i dont touch nuts.

Level 6

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#46 Apr 11, 2013
bob wrote:
<quoted text>Revolution ??? LOL!!I dont see you fighting .
The Mexican Revolution was in 1910 you idiot.

Plenty of politics has gone on since then... all with USA interference, to keep the corporate profits flowing.

You racist fools come in here attracted by the word "immigration" and start spouting off about Mexico about which you know nothing. Mexico should this, Mexico should that. USA corporations should control their malfeasance, how about that? USA should control its imperialist arrogance and stop controlling all the former colonies.

And you gringo racists should get a clue.

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Level 8

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#47 Apr 11, 2013
sONE wrote:
<quoted text>
But a lot of immigrants from throughout the world are glad to undercut US people's wages/salaries- which also sometimes includes using social welfare programs- because their lives are STILL much better than anything they've known. They also have strong group/ethnic identity for their own and are bias toward their own-- which is actually natural.
Actually, they're simply trying to improve their lives. if they meet solidarity rather than hostility from American born workers, then working people as a whole will gain. If they meet hostility and xenophobic animosity, the bosses will offer them jobs and benefits at maybe half of what they pay an American born worker. And if some of the better paid American workers are displaced, they will have partly brought this on themselves for directing their hostility toward immigrants rathern than the 1%.
Same thing as when my people migrated from the rural South to the urban industrial north during WWI and WWII. Progressive unionists like the IWW aside, far too many white workers complained that lower paid Black workers were doign them out of their jobs. But were it not for their stupid racism, they may have formed bonds of solidarity with my fathers and grandfathers, demanding decent and equal wages and work conditions for ALL. That would have made it difficult, maybe impossible, for the plutocrats to play one agains the aother.
bob

Phoenix, AZ

#48 Apr 12, 2013
Sinajuavi wrote:
<quoted text>
The Mexican Revolution was in 1910 you idiot.
Plenty of politics has gone on since then... all with USA interference, to keep the corporate profits flowing.
You racist fools come in here attracted by the word "immigration" and start spouting off about Mexico about which you know nothing. Mexico should this, Mexico should that. USA corporations should control their malfeasance, how about that? USA should control its imperialist arrogance and stop controlling all the former colonies.
And you gringo racists should get a clue.
1910?I thought you meant now. But at least not that long ago. So a whole generation of cowards . Weapons have changed a lot since then . Mexico has had time to buy what ever it needs to defend herself. Plenty of time to tell Americans corporates to go jump. People cant control what you wont let them . Not likely to have a war over food for Mexico . America just wont buy , we have enough food in our country .Who will you sell to then ?? if we close the border how will Mexico make any money??? It wasnt our president that stood up in our congress and said let the mexican into america to do what he wants . It was mexicos . And the American people said: NO!!!!!!!!!! Time they listened .
bob

Phoenix, AZ

#49 Apr 12, 2013
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, they're simply trying to improve their lives. if they meet solidarity rather than hostility from American born workers, then working people as a whole will gain. If they meet hostility and xenophobic animosity, the bosses will offer them jobs and benefits at maybe half of what they pay an American born worker. And if some of the better paid American workers are displaced, they will have partly brought this on themselves for directing their hostility toward immigrants rathern than the 1%.
Same thing as when my people migrated from the rural South to the urban industrial north during WWI and WWII. Progressive unionists like the IWW aside, far too many white workers complained that lower paid Black workers were doign them out of their jobs. But were it not for their stupid racism, they may have formed bonds of solidarity with my fathers and grandfathers, demanding decent and equal wages and work conditions for ALL. That would have made it difficult, maybe impossible, for the plutocrats to play one agains the aother.
You do know were talking about Illegals here right ?? People that have come in or hopped the border. Overstayed their visa . In other countries they catch and send you home . Here in America they wait for amnesty. Illegals dont care to make a good wage or benefits . anything is better then they can earn in their home country . America has a higher standard of living . And will give welfare and medical to those that just arent smart enough to earn more money . At the taxpayers expence. Just how do American workers compete with that ????

“A Nation of Legal Immigrants”

Level 8

Since: Nov 07

Lake City Florida,/ Nebraska

#51 Apr 12, 2013
Sinajuavi wrote:
<quoted text>

Idiot.

Mexican people have been fighting their corrupt govt for a long time.

They get killed for it.

They've fought back consistently and including a long bloody revolution in part sabotaged by the USA so just where do YOU get off passing judgment on Mexico?

USA corporations currently control the Mexican economy, and the country is being strangled by drug cartels thanks to USA's misguided and ill-conceived “War on Drugs”.

Gringo pendejo... look at the mess your tacky-assed empire has made, and you like a chump defend it.
Link or Source?
spud

Bangor, PA

#53 Apr 12, 2013
If they want amnesty in Detroit and Detroit is so far past bankrupt that the state had to take it over, how can this be considered an intelligent opinion?

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Level 8

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#54 Apr 12, 2013
bob wrote:
<quoted text>You do know were talking about Illegals here right ?? People that have come in or hopped the border. Overstayed their visa . In other countries they catch and send you home . Here in America they wait for amnesty. Illegals dont care to make a good wage or benefits . anything is better then they can earn in their home country . America has a higher standard of living . And will give welfare and medical to those that just arent smart enough to earn more money . At the taxpayers expence. Just how do American workers compete with that ????
Well, I wasn't thiking much about the distinction between "legal" and "illegal" because the difference, at least in regard of the point I was making, seems minimal. Legal or illegal, immigrants come seeking a better life. That is nearly always the case. They wouldn't come here for a fraction of the wages American born workers receive (less even than is paid to African American workers) if they weren't seeking a better life.
But corrupt businessmen want them here because they can pay them lower wages, usually rely on them being unorganized and defenseless, and have available as weapons against such workers the threat of deportation and nativist American xenophobia.
If anything, they're commonly living clandestine lives of quiet desperation. Remember that you have to apply for welfare, medical assistance and other such benefits. How many are willing to expose themselves by applying for such benefits? How many would have trouble circumnavigating the system if they've little or no knowledge of English?
For the more enlightened American born worker the attitude, on both moral and political grounds, must be SOLIDARITY with fellow workers (regardless of race, creed, national original, legal status, etc), the call for full citizenship rights, and decent wages, benefits and working conditions for ALL. Any other position is probably unethical, and would amount to American workrrs shooting themselves in the foot.
Masud_S_Hoghughi __

London, UK

#55 Apr 12, 2013
well - given the state of their city, I'm sure niccuz in detroit have more pressing issues to worry about.........
EBT Blackman

Jersey City, NJ

#56 Apr 12, 2013
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I wasn't thiking much about the distinction between "legal" and "illegal"
Of course not. You're a Leftist.
Try crossing the China/N. Korea border and the difference between "legal" and "illegal" will become clear to you.

“The "entitled" =communist.”

Level 9

Since: May 10

MY MONEY, come take it.

#57 Apr 12, 2013
Masud_S_Hoghughi__ wrote:
well - given the state of their city, I'm sure niccuz in detroit have more pressing issues to worry about.........
They need the illegals to rebuild the ghettos.

“Just Party”

Since: Feb 09

'til you die

#58 Apr 12, 2013
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>

If anything, they're commonly living clandestine lives of quiet desperation. Remember that you have to apply for welfare, medical assistance and other such benefits. How many are willing to expose themselves by applying for such benefits? How many would have trouble circumnavigating the system if they've little or no knowledge of English?
Obviously you don't know any of them. I do- and I know they get these things, sometimes with more than one identity. Heck, they were getting loans and buying houses with ITIN loans until the housing crash.

“Just Party”

Since: Feb 09

'til you die

#59 Apr 12, 2013
Con Todo wrote:
<quoted text>
"men dressed like ballerinas"?!?
Sounds like you went to a gay/lesbian/transgender pride parade.
Actually there was a gay/lesbian group there- but I don't remember the name of their group. NAMBLA was also there. I had to look up both groups when I got home because I was not familiar with them. They were there, along with others, to protest for illegal immigration. My family went to protest against it. We actually had some friends with us who are Mexican American and their family has been here many generations and the "other side" yelled names at them- "traitors to their people" and their people are US people.
EBT Blackman

Jersey City, NJ

#60 Apr 12, 2013
sONE wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously you don't know any of them. I do- and I know they get these things, sometimes with more than one identity. Heck, they were getting loans and buying houses with ITIN loans until the housing crash.
In my experience, their status FACILITATES receiving benefits.
He obviously has no practical knowledge whatsoever of what he is asserting.

“Just Party”

Since: Feb 09

'til you die

#61 Apr 12, 2013
EBT Blackman wrote:
<quoted text>
In my experience, their status FACILITATES receiving benefits.
He obviously has no practical knowledge whatsoever of what he is asserting.
I actually went to school with many of them- they were either brought here as children by illegal status parents or they were born here as children of illegal status parents. I talked to many of them and was friends with a couple of them. I am still friends with one of them.

Also, my parents used to buy older houses, fix them up and resell them and numerous Mexicans who couldn't speak a bit of English would inquire about buying them and were able to get itin loans- which is for non-citizens, basically for "undocumented" people.
EBT Blackman

Jersey City, NJ

#62 Apr 12, 2013
sONE wrote:
<quoted text>
I actually went to school with many of them- they were either brought here as children by illegal status parents or they were born here as children of illegal status parents. I talked to many of them and was friends with a couple of them. I am still friends with one of them.
Also, my parents used to buy older houses, fix them up and resell them and numerous Mexicans who couldn't speak a bit of English would inquire about buying them and were able to get itin loans- which is for non-citizens, basically for "undocumented" people.
Isn't it amazing that the most vocal supporters of illegal immigrants have obviously NEVER been in any sort of regular contact with them? Going to the La Raza rally was as close as they've ever gotten to the "Latino Experience".

“Just Party”

Since: Feb 09

'til you die

#63 Apr 12, 2013
EBT Blackman wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't it amazing that the most vocal supporters of illegal immigrants have obviously NEVER been in any sort of regular contact with them? Going to the La Raza rally was as close as they've ever gotten to the "Latino Experience".
Yes, you can tell how much they've been around them by the things they say. Also, some people may have them mow their lawn or whatever- but they don't actually KNOW them.

The illegal immigration problem is VERY complex and the people's reasons for being here and the life they had in Mexico- vary a lot. I could ramble on for a long time, lol.

“Just Party”

Since: Feb 09

'til you die

#64 Apr 12, 2013
Also, I had 2 middle school-high school friends who had Guatemalan fathers and White US mothers, and the fathers HATED Mexicans. One would go into a rage if you even mentioned anything about them.
EBT Blackman

Jersey City, NJ

#65 Apr 12, 2013
sONE wrote:
Also, I had 2 middle school-high school friends who had Guatemalan fathers and White US mothers, and the fathers HATED Mexicans. One would go into a rage if you even mentioned anything about them.
Yes, other Central Americans are that way also.
I've had Latino immigrants tell me on more than one occasion, "They got to stop all this. They're letting too many people in!"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ferguson Grand Jury and History 2 min Joe Deeah 11
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 3 min Carly HI YAH 95,842
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Incognito4Ever 1,126,868
Why do blacks claim to be the true Israelites? ... (May '11) 6 min African AE 7,623
Yeeaahh Booyyy! Amber Vinson BEAT Ebola In 9 Da... 11 min wtf 19
12 year old black boy 1 hit k.o white cop 15 min African unity 18
How has Africa from the begining of time influe... (May '13) 18 min Edgar12 2,322
Why do WM have all the women, power, prestige, ... 19 min Edgar12 63
17 yr old Black kid lynched for dating white woman 23 min wtf 282
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 26 min 7New Earth7 25,644
How can I get Blacks to stop talking to me 1 hr Masud_S_Hoghughi__ 127

African-American People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE