Should the Caribbean Islands Unite into one Nation?

Posted in the African-American Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 79 Comments Last updated Aug 14, 2013
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 25, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Should the Caribbean Islands United into one nation? A sort of Caribbean Union or a United States of the Caribbean?

If this happened they could share wealth and knowledge and contacts and make themselves a stronger in negotiating with other countries.
They could share skills and encourage economic growth around the Caribbean.

What do you think?

“I love being a Black Man”

Level 8

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jan 25, 2013
 

Judged:

1

They already have Caricom in place.

http://www.caricom.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbean_Commun...
weakaboo

Memphis, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jan 25, 2013
 
Should they? PROBABLY. I, however, believe since those islands are largely poor and black they aren't going to have the resources for such a feat (as this will surely welcome opposition from those much stronger and unified in thought).

Honestly, I think blacks as a whole need to quit elusions of unification. It won't happen cause it simply wasn't meant for blacks to think in terms as you suggest.

Blacks don't operate on that type level.

“Black”

Level 1

Since: Jan 13

Elite

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jan 25, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

MumRa wrote:
Caricom has failed. The objective of Caricom has not met and will never. Because each and everyone wants to rule their own countries.

The yearly meetings of Caricom in a Caribbean designated territory, is nothing but a smoke-screen met with lavish cocktails and EMPTY WORDS.

After the day has elapsed, they then return to their respective islands with NO MEMMORY of what was said and then shelve their airy words.

The OECS which is a sub-grouping of islands in the Caribbean has a better concept of what it means to unite. They do hold the same currency and allow their citizens to travel within their grouping without a passport.

Caricom is just A DEAD HORSE WAITING TO BE BURIED.

“Black”

Level 1

Since: Jan 13

Elite

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jan 25, 2013
 
Shalimarr wrote:
Should the Caribbean Islands United into one nation? A sort of Caribbean Union or a United States of the Caribbean?
If this happened they could share wealth and knowledge and contacts and make themselves a stronger in negotiating with other countries.
They could share skills and encourage economic growth around the Caribbean.
What do you think?
Good thread!
I don't think you thought of this all by yourself. Someone may have helped you.

“Leading the Revolution”

Level 6

Since: Oct 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jan 25, 2013
 
Need to all unite under the umbrella of the African Union, to tap into the resources the continent has.

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jan 25, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Since I know you all aren't going to leave this forum I will just answer. I say why not youall are much stronger unified than divided.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jan 25, 2013
 
MumRa wrote:
Thanks for your links.
Caricom seems to be an equivalent to the European Union, working and cooperating while keeping individual sovereignty.

What do you think of the idea of a United States of the caribbean?
You are living int he Americas... what do you think, is it viable and do you as an American think it would be a positive thing for your black cousins?
Bigsmoke

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jan 25, 2013
 
The whole of North America should unite, a step towards world unity and one world government. I like, but in the current world it's impossible.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jan 25, 2013
 
weakaboo wrote:
Should they? PROBABLY. I, however, believe since those islands are largely poor and black they aren't going to have the resources for such a feat (as this will surely welcome opposition from those much stronger and unified in thought).
Honestly, I think blacks as a whole need to quit elusions of unification. It won't happen cause it simply wasn't meant for blacks to think in terms as you suggest.
Blacks don't operate on that type level.
I'm black with 2 Jamaican parents and I'm thinking this way.
They have English, French, Dutch and Spanish languages all spoken in those Islands.
Trinidad and Barbados are economically sound, the have skills they could bring to the others if they were a team.
You said you think they should unite or from a new joint Country... why do you think it would be a good idea and how do you think such a thing would be received by your country?

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jan 25, 2013
 
Black - Famous wrote:
<quoted text>
Caricom has failed. The objective of Caricom has not met and will never. Because each and everyone wants to rule their own countries.
The yearly meetings of Caricom in a Caribbean designated territory, is nothing but a smoke-screen met with lavish cocktails and EMPTY WORDS.
After the day has elapsed, they then return to their respective islands with NO MEMMORY of what was said and then shelve their airy words.
The OECS which is a sub-grouping of islands in the Caribbean has a better concept of what it means to unite. They do hold the same currency and allow their citizens to travel within their grouping without a passport.
Caricom is just A DEAD HORSE WAITING TO BE BURIED.
I'm going to google OECS and see what I can find out.
Cee Cipher

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jan 25, 2013
 
The Island nations should follow Haiti's lead and join the AU.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jan 25, 2013
 
Black - Famous wrote:
<quoted text>
Good thread!
I don't think you thought of this all by yourself. Someone may have helped you.
Thanks.
I did think of it. The idea came to me when DL (I think) posted that Trinidad had over taken Barbados as having the best income per capita in the Caribbean.
It made me think about why some of these countries are able to function safely and economically and why some are violent and lawless and full of poverty.
The slave owners sailed away on ships and left the black folks to cope and build nations.
I just was trying to selfishly (my folks are not from Trinidad or Barbados) think of a way these "sensible" caribbean countries could help and uplift the standard of living for the others.
Also Cogito said nobody cares about Caribbeans.
I got to thinking what is the power base of AAs? It's their numbers!
if the caribbean became a united States of the Caribbean they would have big numbers too, instead of small pockets of 2 million, 10 million or 400,000 (Grenada).

Which countries do you think are doing well and could help and uplift the others? and which ones do you think are most in need of guidance.
I think Haiti needs help and friendship from other black countries.
weakaboo

Memphis, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jan 25, 2013
 
Shalimarr wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm black with 2 Jamaican parents and I'm thinking this way.
They have English, French, Dutch and Spanish languages all spoken in those Islands.
Trinidad and Barbados are economically sound, the have skills they could bring to the others if they were a team.
You said you think they should unite or from a new joint Country... why do you think it would be a good idea and how do you think such a thing would be received by your country?
Well I'm black also and I grew up believing in unification in order to level off hatred as well as oppression. The belief isn't the problem; it's the mindset.

The fact that you seem to boast about european languages spoken on those islands is a damning statement in regard to unification unless you are speaking about unification not based on race. If you are speaking of such a thing, what motivations would other races have to do such a thing?

I certainly believe in unification but not for social reasons. I believe unification works for economic reasons. It's the foundation to any sort of small or large success.

Places which aren't unified, are not successful.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jan 25, 2013
 
sassyntrashy wrote:
I say why not youall are much stronger unified than divided.
Why?

Also do you think AA would forge strong links with a United States of the Caribbean?
Do you think it would be good for you guys as Black Americans a place you would be interested in doing business with and having a special relationship with?
or just another competitor in a tough economic climate?

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jan 25, 2013
 
Bigsmoke wrote:
The whole of North America should unite, a step towards world unity and one world government. I like, but in the current world it's impossible.
That wasn't the question.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jan 25, 2013
 
weakaboo wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I'm black also and I grew up believing in unification in order to level off hatred as well as oppression. The belief isn't the problem; it's the mindset.
The fact that you seem to boast about european languages spoken on those islands is a damning statement in regard to unification unless you are speaking about unification not based on race. If you are speaking of such a thing, what motivations would other races have to do such a thing?
I certainly believe in unification but not for social reasons. I believe unification works for economic reasons. It's the foundation to any sort of small or large success.
Places which aren't unified, are not successful.
I mentioned the languages spoken, because it is an economic tool they could use. Just some extra skills they could share among each other as a group and broaden their appeal when trying to secure contracts internationally.

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jan 25, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Shalimarr wrote:
<quoted text>
Why?
Also do you think AA would forge strong links with a United States of the Caribbean?
Do you think it would be good for you guys as Black Americans a place you would be interested in doing business with and having a special relationship with?
or just another competitor in a tough economic climate?
My honest opinion is yes and that would most likely be the highly intelligent African Americans. We may clown each other here but AA's and Caribbeans have a good relationship in the real world.

“Black”

Level 1

Since: Jan 13

Elite

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jan 25, 2013
 
Shalimarr wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm going to google OECS and see what I can find out.
K.

“Black”

Level 1

Since: Jan 13

Elite

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jan 25, 2013
 
Shalimarr wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks.
I did think of it. The idea came to me when DL (I think) posted that Trinidad had over taken Barbados as having the best income per capita in the Caribbean.
It made me think about why some of these countries are able to function safely and economically and why some are violent and lawless and full of poverty.
The slave owners sailed away on ships and left the black folks to cope and build nations.
I just was trying to selfishly (my folks are not from Trinidad or Barbados) think of a way these "sensible" caribbean countries could help and uplift the standard of living for the others.
Also Cogito said nobody cares about Caribbeans.
I got to thinking what is the power base of AAs? It's their numbers!
if the caribbean became a united States of the Caribbean they would have big numbers too, instead of small pockets of 2 million, 10 million or 400,000 (Grenada).
Which countries do you think are doing well and could help and uplift the others? and which ones do you think are most in need of guidance.
I think Haiti needs help and friendship from other black countries.
Cognito is correct, when he said no one cares about the Caribbean. Its all based upon what other wealthy Nations view as in their best interest.

Many years ago the Caribbean was used as bait during the cold war. Many wealthy Nations were giving aid in key areas for development. But it has shifted to the middle east and Asian countries.

Its all about Countries interests.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I don't want to marry a BLACK MAN 4 min Cogito2 2,956
Beyonce - IR BW Bunny? 4 min Rock 17
BW That Sleep With WM Are Useless Big Time!!!!!!!! 5 min dbiggs69 6
All of this Racism Must Stop 5 min Walls of Jericho 21
Why do blacks claim to be the true Israelites? ... (May '11) 8 min African AE 4,473
Hebrew Israelite? Don't make me laugh. (Jan '10) 9 min Ben YISRAEL 468
What Does It Mean When A Man Wears Earrings In ... (Jan '08) 12 min CodyO 227
Michael Brown .. STRONG ARM ROBBERY ??? 44 min Gmoney AKA Big G 1,814
There's A War On The Black Male 2 hr Diva 329
Are white women attracted to black men? (Aug '06) 3 hr haha 120,440
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
Ashburn Dating

more search filters

less search filters

African-American People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••