Kelly Rowland Says She Hated Her Dark Skin

Posted in the African-American Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of1,316
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“The Love Below”

Level 8

Since: Apr 10

ATL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Mar 8, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Kelly Rowland Says She Hated Her Dark Skin Color Until Beyonce’s Mom Helped Her Embrace Her ‘Chocolatiness’


Kelly Rowland recently opened up about this unfortunate time in her past during an interview with Cherise Nicole from CNikky, while attending the 2013 Essence Black Women In Hollywood luncheon last month.

“You know what I had great women in my life to help me overcome that. I remember I went through a period where I didn’t embrace my ‘chocolatiness.’ I don’t know if that’s a word, but I didn’t embrace my chocolate lifestyle. Just being a chocolate, lovely brown skin girl and being proud of that. I remember Tina Knowles, Bey’s mom and I remember being out in the sun and I was trying to shield myself from the sun and she said,‘Are you crazy?’ She said ‘You are absolutely gorgeous’ and she just told me how beautiful I was and how rare chocolate is and how gorgeous the skin is, all of this stuff. And I was just like ‘Yeah!’ Like a light went off. So between her and my mother and then me sitting out in the sun a little more, just to be a little more chocolate. You just embrace it. You embrace everything that you are as a woman, even your flaws too,” Kelly told CNikky.com .

We’re glad that Mama Knowles was able to step in and knock some sense into Kelly, because not realizing her skin’s awesomeness is too much for us to handle.

Read more at http://bossip.com/739417/poor-thang-kelly-row...

“My chin is lethal...”

Level 1

Since: Mar 13

...and smells like azz!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Mar 8, 2013
 

Judged:

3

1

1

Ooh! You're sexy, and in Atlanta?? Damn! I can be there in an hour. Do you want me to eat your butt first or go straight for the fisting??

Let me know, my black king...

desperatefourhundredpoundskank @hotmail.com

Let's P A R T A Y!!!!!!
just saying

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Mar 8, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

I don't understand why kelly
would say those things. she
should be happy.Some women
would kill to look like her.
Level 5

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Mar 8, 2013
 
If she said this, she had to think it through because of the feedback she will receive.

“Proceed with caution”

Level 1

Since: Oct 11

Richmond TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Mar 9, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

FuglyGash wrote:
Ooh! You're sexy, and in Atlanta?? Damn! I can be there in an hour. Do you want me to eat your butt first or go straight for the fisting??

Let me know, my black king...

desperatefourhundredpoundskank @hotmail.com

Let's P A R T A Y!!!!!!
Tademy93Eagle hates her dark skin too. She hopes when she's sucking Byronthafakepreacha & MichaelRapechester's small dycks it will bleach her skin & she resemble Harkins209D. When Tademy93Eagle & NissaSlowEarly are eating each others cooch they r trying to suck all DonDaDaDetroit's nut out each other. Rychard93Eagle doesn't mind cause he can't get it up & gets it up the azz by DLGlennSimpChicagoFlawless.

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Mar 9, 2013
 

Judged:

1

That's the way it is. Most dark skin women hate it. Because they're told to hate it, either outright or subconsciously

“I'm a proud grandma”

Level 7

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Mar 9, 2013
 
I'm glad people helped her with this issue in this race obsessed society that we live in.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Mar 9, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

BROWNMAN20 wrote:
Kelly Rowland Says She Hated Her Dark Skin Color Until Beyonce’s Mom Helped Her Embrace Her ‘Chocolatiness’
Kelly Rowland recently opened up about this unfortunate time in her past during an interview with Cherise Nicole from CNikky, while attending the 2013 Essence Black Women In Hollywood luncheon last month.
“You know what I had great women in my life to help me overcome that. I remember I went through a period where I didn’t embrace my ‘chocolatiness.’ I don’t know if that’s a word, but I didn’t embrace my chocolate lifestyle. Just being a chocolate, lovely brown skin girl and being proud of that. I remember Tina Knowles, Bey’s mom and I remember being out in the sun and I was trying to shield myself from the sun and she said,‘Are you crazy?’ She said ‘You are absolutely gorgeous’ and she just told me how beautiful I was and how rare chocolate is and how gorgeous the skin is, all of this stuff. And I was just like ‘Yeah!’ Like a light went off. So between her and my mother and then me sitting out in the sun a little more, just to be a little more chocolate. You just embrace it. You embrace everything that you are as a woman, even your flaws too,” Kelly told CNikky.com .
We’re glad that Mama Knowles was able to step in and knock some sense into Kelly, because not realizing her skin’s awesomeness is too much for us to handle.
Read more at http://bossip.com/739417/poor-thang-kelly-row...
Yeah, but that was her mother's job, Beyonce's mother shouldn't have needed to have that conversation with another black woman's child.

“Freedom”

Level 8

Since: Jan 10

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Mar 9, 2013
 
But if she was pale skin, she would want darker skin to prevent fast aging. We all know how most women feel about wrinkles or lookin their age while women who are around the same age look younger.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Mar 9, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Skiff Azlaan wrote:
If she said this, she had to think it through because of the feedback she will receive.
Both with ridiculous hair :(
http://www.usmagazine.com/uploads/assets/arti...
Truthism

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Mar 9, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Darker tones of skin color are meant for environments closer to the equator than other lighter skin tones seen throughout the world. Melanin is copper-based and that's why it gives off such a brown color.

When a light skinned person "tans," (turns brown) that is melanin building up in the body as a defense against excess UV rays coming from the sun.

Anyone insecure about their color should look up the scientific reason why they're that color. There's no shame in being Rowlands color (or ANY color). I've seen beautiful women literally 3-4 times darker in shade than Rowland! Beauty comes in all shades.

Love and respect yourself for how you were made and that confidence will show outwardly. Respecting and loving yourself is attractive to many people who are of good nature, so you're sending signals to the RIGHT people, therefore.

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Mar 9, 2013
 
Ms Mack wrote:
I'm glad people helped her with this issue in this race obsessed society that we live in.
if we were taught the truth about our skin we wouldn't have this problem. But now we know so we can teach our kids the truth.
moor

Chicago Heights, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Mar 9, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

of course she hated it...she grew up next to beyonce and they were in talent shows and looking for fame when they were younger. Who couldn't see that i mean really who is naive enough to think that shyt still doesn't exist. I hear this generation right in high school talking about light skin this or that..thats old as history refer solomon's wife how she was treated about her blackness. The problem is there aren't enough images of chocolate women being held high as there are of them bent over on some tv screen. Nobody is born hating there skin they are taught to despise it..
The King

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Mar 9, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Aziya Shines wrote:
That's the way it is. Most dark skin women hate it. Because they're told to hate it, either outright or subconsciously
This is something Black women do to their daughters. Nobody else has an issue with it. Just for some odd reason black mothers can't stop telling their daughters that dark black skin is ugly.

Men have no issue with it what soever.
The King

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Mar 9, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

Definitely explains why she dates ir. I knew she was a self hater.
Truthism

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Mar 9, 2013
 
The King wrote:
Definitely explains why she dates ir. I knew she was a self hater.
Well, I'd date her if was of a personality I prefer (and I'm not of West African descent). I always liked her more than Beyonce. Just my preference, not that Beyonce is 'bad' looking or anything. It's just my preference.

Don't be mad at her; feel sorry for her, if anything. It's sad that such a beautiful woman would be insecure about her features when there's nothing wrong with them at all.

Sadly it's mainly the AA males who many times openly proclaim to love only light skinned women above darker shades of women. Really sad that this is then implanted into darker womens' minds.

It's like these insecure "white" women who are natural brunettes always dyeing their hair blonde or light shades because they always heard "hot blonde!" or "blonde bombshell" or that men supposedly find blonde women more attractive. So not true... but it's implanted into their minds by this silly rumor spread by racists, I'm sure.

“Freedom”

Level 8

Since: Jan 10

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Mar 9, 2013
 
Truthism wrote:
Darker tones of skin color are meant for environments closer to the equator than other lighter skin tones seen throughout the world. Melanin is copper-based and that's why it gives off such a brown color.
When a light skinned person "tans," (turns brown) that is melanin building up in the body as a defense against excess UV rays coming from the sun.
Anyone insecure about their color should look up the scientific reason why they're that color. There's no shame in being Rowlands color (or ANY color). I've seen beautiful women literally 3-4 times darker in shade than Rowland! Beauty comes in all shades.
Love and respect yourself for how you were made and that confidence will show outwardly. Respecting and loving yourself is attractive to many people who are of good nature, so you're sending signals to the RIGHT people, therefore.
Agree but having some color is appealing. Smoother skin is more defined which can make your skin look even better especially in the summer.

“Freedom”

Level 8

Since: Jan 10

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Mar 9, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

J-Town Ninjah OhH YeE AhH wrote:
growing up around black people made her feel that way in the first place
if she would have grown up around white people, she wouldnt have cared about being darker
most white people dont really care that one black person is darker than another
Why do so many whites artificially tan if skin color is non factor??
The King

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Mar 9, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Truthism wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I'd date her if was of a personality I prefer (and I'm not of West African descent). I always liked her more than Beyonce. Just my preference, not that Beyonce is 'bad' looking or anything. It's just my preference.
Don't be mad at her; feel sorry for her, if anything. It's sad that such a beautiful woman would be insecure about her features when there's nothing wrong with them at all.
Sadly it's mainly the AA males who many times openly proclaim to love only light skinned women above darker shades of women. Really sad that this is then implanted into darker womens' minds.
It's like these insecure "white" women who are natural brunettes always dyeing their hair blonde or light shades because they always heard "hot blonde!" or "blonde bombshell" or that men supposedly find blonde women more attractive. So not true... but it's implanted into their minds by this silly rumor spread by racists, I'm sure.
No, It's the AA women. That's a well known fact. You women say black men will sleep with anything then you say they don't want black women, now its they don't like dark black women. Make up your mind troll.

It's a proven fact that colorism only affects black women.
The King

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Mar 9, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

J-Town Ninjah OhH YeE AhH wrote:
<quoted text>
some woman just like the way it looks, they do it to look tan, which is equated with the summer, the beach, etc...
they are not trying to look "black" as black racists like to claim... they do it to look tan.
but noone is walking around ashamned and embarrased for not being tan as kelly was for looking darker
Those women do do that. But I would imagine that the women are behind it as well in the white race.

Most men don't care anything about skin color as long as the woman is attractive.

There's blogs and everything about black women hating darker skin and making fun of darker skin females, and even saying they want to have babies by light or white skin people to have "pretty babbies".

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of1,316
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••