Level 5

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#1 Dec 5, 2013

Level 8

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#2 Dec 5, 2013
They could've casted better...just my opinion.

“What do the stars say......”

Since: May 11

...explore outside the milkway

#6 Dec 5, 2013
Why do they have to cast a dominican/puerto rican as a famous African American woman? I think they should have cast an African American woman, specifically a dark skinned African American woman for this role. Someone like Viola Davis or the dark skinned girl who was the main character on the movie Pariah (don't know her name). Zoe Saldana is a great actress, but whoever casted her didn't do such a good job. I am sorry, but Zoe Saldana maybe a black latina, but she is not African American and cannot identify herself as such. I can already tell the director, casting directors, and producers are all not African American. If they are then I am in total shock.
Mansa Musa

Fremont, CA

#7 Dec 5, 2013
They should've picked Jennifer Hudson.

“Out of the US back in France”

Level 5

Location hidden

#9 Dec 5, 2013
I really don't see the problem. I think she can pull it off... then again I am biased...
You don't have to be an African American to play the role imho. Black is black...

Level 8

Location hidden

#11 Dec 5, 2013
Silverness wrote:
I really don't see the problem. I think she can pull it off... then again I am biased...
You don't have to be an African American to play the role imho. Black is black...
To these Hollywood FRUIT LOOPS, "Black is Black" whenever it's convenient for them...however, I get your point.

Level 8

Location hidden

#12 Dec 5, 2013
Well dayuum...
Style

UK

#13 Dec 5, 2013
This is part of the problem of Whites 'whitening' history. Nina was a 'PROUD' Black woman. Saldana does not even identify herself as BLACK, however her 'Latina' whorish ass will gladly accept a Black role.

We've seen this before haven't we?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/arianelange/10-times-...
Carmiana

Elizabeth, NJ

#14 Dec 5, 2013
Silver what is your nationality? Are you African American?
Say My Name

London, UK

#15 Dec 5, 2013
Silverness is a simp.its very likely that she had no idea who nina Simone was until Saldana got the role.
This is the same weak good for nothing qoute black woman quote who listens to the cheesiest white music that even white people don't like.
Say My Name

London, UK

#16 Dec 5, 2013
Fans of nina Simone should boycott this film.
Why didn't they just get Angelina Jolie to play the lead role, huh?
Black is world wide

United States

#17 Dec 5, 2013
Carmiana wrote:
So you don't think a person who is of african descent can't ientify with the same racial discrimination that AAs go thru?

Level 5

Location hidden

#18 Dec 5, 2013
FlowFighter wrote:
<quoted text>
"I really don't see the problem"
Of course you don't..you're a crakkker lovin' bytch same as Zoe
That was uncalled for.

Level 8

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#19 Dec 5, 2013
Carmiana wrote:
Why do they have to cast a dominican/puerto rican as a famous African American woman? I think they should have cast an African American woman, specifically a dark skinned African American woman for this role.
Zoe is brown skin like most AA women and besides her parents are black but of Latin culture. We need to admit that there isn't as many African American actresses or black women as black and afrocentric as Nina Simone was.
Carmiana wrote:
Someone like Viola Davis or the dark skinned girl who was the main character on the movie Pariah (don't know her name). Zoe Saldana is a great actress, but whoever casted her didn't do such a good job. I am sorry, but Zoe Saldana maybe a black latina, but she is not African American and cannot identify herself as such.
I admit Zoe looks nothing like Simone but Viola is too old to play the younger Simone.
Carmiana wrote:
I can already tell the director, casting directors, and producers are all not African American. If they are then I am in total shock.
I think she will do alright.

Level 8

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#20 Dec 5, 2013

Level 5

Location hidden

#22 Dec 5, 2013
Carmiana wrote:
African by origin and birth.

Level 5

Location hidden

#23 Dec 5, 2013
Say My Name wrote:
Silverness is a simp.its very likely that she had no idea who nina Simone was until Saldana got the role.
This is the same weak good for nothing qoute black woman quote who listens to the cheesiest white music that even white people don't like.
What is a simp?
And yes I had never heard of Nina Simone before the movie got a cast. And still haven't heard any of her music.... but I fail to understand how that is relevant. People learn new things everyday. I am not African American how do you expect me to know an AA entertainer who died a decade ago?
And I like what I like.... Just because white people don't like my music doesn't mean I should dislike it too... give me a break.

Level 5

Location hidden

#24 Dec 5, 2013
Capree wrote:
*off topic*- She has perfect teeth though!
Style

UK

#25 Dec 6, 2013
Silverness wrote:
<quoted text>
That was uncalled for.
Yes it was...but NECESSARY!
Style

UK

#26 Dec 6, 2013
Silverness wrote:
<quoted text>
What is a simp?
And yes I had never heard of Nina Simone before the movie got a cast. And still haven't heard any of her music.... but I fail to understand how that is relevant. People learn new things everyday. I am not African American how do you expect me to know an AA entertainer who died a decade ago?
...and yet your ignorance of the subject doesn't stop you from holding a strong opinion.

Look up the word 'idiot' in a dictionary...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 5 min Raada 133,168
Italians are NOT White!!!! (Feb '12) 6 min The Doctor 6,151
God Bless China, the Great Non-white Hope 22 min Rooster 1
To the somalis in here Darod Ismael and Mehri i... (Mar '08) 27 min moha alxubayd 85
News Dueling groups to rally at Confederate landmark 31 min Synque 375
White male tells truth about IRBW 38 min Cigar Face 24 805
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 1 hr KiloEcho 43,468
Most teacher-student statutory rapists are White 5 hr Tyr 26
Self hating biracials 9 hr Marcus Washington 70
More from around the web