Activist: "Abortion Threatens Black A...

Activist: "Abortion Threatens Black America's Future"

There are 6125 comments on the Booker Rising story from Sep 24, 2012, titled Activist: "Abortion Threatens Black America's Future". In it, Booker Rising reports that:

The From Catholic Online : "Adding to the argument that abortion threatens one sector of American society over others, Catherine Davis, president of The Restoration Project, pointed out to the great racial disparity of women currently getting abortions." The article continues: "Davis said that according to the Centers for Disease Control, ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Booker Rising.

carmen

Memphis, TN

#3595 Feb 11, 2014
Born children are entitled to both emotional and financial support from the persons responsible for them being here in the first.

There are lots of people who have sex who have strong feelings against marriage. So, for those people, they could make babies and literally leave them to fend for themselves if we state only those married should provide for their own kids. That's adding more problems to the system.

Otherwise, we'd have to state no gender, male or female, who didn't believe in marriage or refused marriage should have the ability to procreate.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Level 1

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#3596 Feb 11, 2014
Nobody is entitled to emotional support, simply because you can't guarantee emotions. It's worse for a kid to believe someone loves them if they don't.
carmen wrote:
Born children are entitled to both emotional and financial support from the persons responsible for them being here in the first.
There are lots of people who have sex who have strong feelings against marriage. So, for those people, they could make babies and literally leave them to fend for themselves if we state only those married should provide for their own kids. That's adding more problems to the system.
Otherwise, we'd have to state no gender, male or female, who didn't believe in marriage or refused marriage should have the ability to procreate.

Level 5

Since: Apr 11

Panorama City, CA

#3597 Feb 11, 2014
zef wrote:
<quoted text>
Killing jews because they are unwanted, doesn't compare to killing babies because they are unwanted? How drunk are you?
Exactly, the Jews were not living inside the bodies of other people.

Level 5

Panorama City, CA

#3598 Feb 11, 2014
dedbebbies wrote:
<quoted text>You don't think that born children have the right to the support of both parents, unless the parents are in possession of a piece of legal documentation?
Why not?
I think a man should also have a chance to say "No" to parenthood.
The reproduction process is inherently uneven, but I think that's the best that can be done.
dedbebbies wrote:
Women ARE able to electively abort 'until a certain point' presently. Past that point, we must have a specific medical reason, to obtain one legally.
How small a window of opportunity to make this decision, would you recommend? Especially considering that often one doesn't even know one is pregnant for several weeks after conception....
I think until the fetus/baby is very likely to survive outside of the womb with normal care. Then, if she doesn't want a baby, it should be removed alive, and the woman can have no rights/responsibilities towards the child.

Level 5

Panorama City, CA

#3599 Feb 11, 2014
cpeter1313 wrote:
Every child born should have the (at least financial) support of both progenitors. It's a healthy start for the child. Paternity should be proven before support is assigned, though.
<quoted text>
Yeah, they should. But I think the man should also have a chance to say,'No".

Level 5

Panorama City, CA

#3600 Feb 11, 2014
carmen wrote:
I'm not saying a man should not be allowed to take care of his child born to a woman he's not married to, just that he shouldn't be legally obligated to.

“Define Necessity”

Since: Mar 13

FOR YOURSELF

#3601 Feb 11, 2014
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
The reproduction process is inherently uneven, but I think that's the best that can be done.
<quoted text>
I think until the fetus/baby is very likely to survive outside of the womb with normal care. Then, if she doesn't want a baby, it should be removed alive, and the woman can have no rights/responsibilities towards the child.
I disagree, that 'the best that can be done' is to shaft the born children of people who don't want to be married.

JMO

“Home is Where the Heart is”

Level 2

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#3602 Feb 12, 2014
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
But I think the man should also have a chance to say,'No".
I agree..I think it should happen before conception...and what I mean by before..is both parties should do everything humanly possible to avoid unwanted pregnancy..if they don't want to parent together...if pregnancy then occur..They are both about equally responsible for not preventing it..
Then.. a woman currently has a legal right to birth or kill "up to a point"..and to make it at least fair.."imo"...is the man should still have a legal right to say no to parenting "up to that point"...

Level 2

Location hidden

#3603 Feb 12, 2014
carmen wrote:
Morally? Most would probably agree..
Legally? Maybe..maybe not..as there are biological parents who give up their responsibility/rights all the time...making born children not legally entitled to financial support..and emotional support is always a choice..one cannot give..what is not there..
carmen wrote:
Growing number of people sign relationship contracts ....it's a very popular new trend..

Level 2

Location hidden

#3604 Feb 12, 2014
zef wrote:
<quoted text>
Because of gender selective abortion, most of the people killed with abortion are women.
That is one interesting twist....The fight for women's right to choice..and they are using it mostly to kill the female and birth more males?
zef wrote:
Is that what "There is no denying the gender differentiation (which was the basis for traditionally signed gender roles) has lead to many social inequalities" means?
No..what I meant was....traditionally women and men were assigned roles within a culture based on their gender differences or "biological inequalities"...something that has later became a problem for a number of women who saw it as unfair and injustices....The hypocritical part, imho..is that some are now using the same method to justify their own discrimination..

Level 2

Location hidden

#3605 Feb 12, 2014
carmen wrote:
I agree. I know you are debating on both sides of the issue on this thread. I apologize since you felt attacked personally.
I appreciate that :D
carmen wrote:
But aren't men doing the same? Hasn't that always been the main argument of the male gender??..That they do certain acts which may or may not be desirable because they are males.
That's why I said it is hypocritical....historically speaking; gender roles were assigned based on gender differentiation ("biological inequalities")...and it sends the message that the fight is not about equality, but replacing a patriarchal social structure for a matriarchal...
carmen wrote:
carmen wrote:
It's not sexual responsibility which is the main problem. It is moral responsibility which has given many women pause regarding motherhood..
But what position exactly do you think women can possibly be in, which would avoid the issue of unwanted pregnancy? This is a very old "problem" in terms of humanity.
"Most" people are willing to conform to the norms of their environment...as social creatures..the thought of being treated as an exile has great influences..and for others..consequences work as a great motivator.. For example..within a culture that practice child brides...the mass will accept it as normal....outside of such...it is frowned upon..as an immoral (thus it is illegal) act (although we can find many private cases of violations to children)....Another example..is during the Hurricane Katrina..when "the opportunity" presented itself..there were a number of rapes....Although rape is a crime..punishable by law and there is a social backlash for rapists.. still a number of opportunists overlooked the (moral) standard of the land (govern themselves by being responsible).....
In the end..it boils down to the moral codes of each individual...and since we're all intertwined...the decision made will (in) directly affect the survival rate of humanity..
Someone mention earlier about "gender selective abortion" ;ironic as it may....females are said to be aborted the most....which caused a shortage of available women in China...

Morgana 9

“And the Horse You Rode in On”

Level 1

Since: Sep 08

Minneapolis

#3608 Feb 12, 2014
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Men say no to parenthood all the time, even after being married. What do you suggest we do about them to even the playing ground for the woman and children? How do we force payment?

Morgana 9

“And the Horse You Rode in On”

Level 1

Since: Sep 08

Minneapolis

#3609 Feb 12, 2014
IR BW wrote:
<quoted text>
historically speaking; gender roles were assigned based on gender differentiation ("biological inequalities")...and it sends the message that the fight is not about equality, but replacing a patriarchal social structure for a matriarchal...
Do you have any historical data to prove that gender roles were assigned based on gender differentiation (biological inequalities)?

Explain gender roles that involve denying the vote, property rights and equal pay? Currently Saudi Arabia forbids females to drive, what would that have to do with gender?

You seem quite content with a patriarchal structure and disturbed by a matriarchal, can you explain why? Why do you favor one and find the other disturbing? You have yet to explain many of your stances. Why?
IR BW wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone mention earlier about "gender selective abortion" ;ironic as it may....females are said to be aborted the most....which caused a shortage of available women in China...
Now ask yourself why in China and elsewhere why would the male be favored in these patriarchal societies? Think hard, it just might dawn on you.

Level 1

Indianapolis

#3611 Feb 12, 2014
Zef is insane. The fact is that fetuses are aborted in the vast majority of cases without gender even being tested, and before physical gender characteristics emerge. It's impossible to determine the ratio of male:female fetuses aborted or miscarried, and we don't have a gender imbalance in our population.
IR BW wrote:
<quoted text> That is one interesting twist....The fight for women's right to choice..and they are using it mostly to kill the female and birth more males?
<quoted text> No..what I meant was....traditionally women and men were assigned roles within a culture based on their gender differences or "biological inequalities"...something that has later became a problem for a number of women who saw it as unfair and injustices....The hypocritical part, imho..is that some are now using the same method to justify their own discrimination..
carmen

Memphis, TN

#3612 Feb 12, 2014
cpeter1313 wrote:
Nobody is entitled to emotional support, simply because you can't guarantee emotions. It's worse for a kid to believe someone loves them if they don't.
<quoted text>
I don't view entitlements as guarantees.

Level 1

Indianapolis

#3614 Feb 12, 2014
This isn't a movement to depower men; it's just a movement to equalize both genders under the law. Women don't abort because they want to usurp men's power; they abort because they are pregnant and don't want to be. Just as men can seek treatment for unwanted physical conditions caused by their own actions, so too should women.

Social norms are conventions that often run counter to individual rights, yet the constitution gives all rights to the individual (except the press) and none to "society". Social norms favor the majority and the powerful.
IR BW wrote:
<quoted text>
I appreciate that :D
<quoted text> That's why I said it is hypocritical....historically speaking; gender roles were assigned based on gender differentiation ("biological inequalities")...and it sends the message that the fight is not about equality, but replacing a patriarchal social structure for a matriarchal...
<quoted text> "Most" people are willing to conform to the norms of their environment...as social creatures..the thought of being treated as an exile has great influences..and for others..consequences work as a great motivator.. For example..within a culture that practice child brides...the mass will accept it as normal....outside of such...it is frowned upon..as an immoral (thus it is illegal) act (although we can find many private cases of violations to children)....Another example..is during the Hurricane Katrina..when "the opportunity" presented itself..there were a number of rapes....Although rape is a crime..punishable by law and there is a social backlash for rapists.. still a number of opportunists overlooked the (moral) standard of the land (govern themselves by being responsible).....
In the end..it boils down to the moral codes of each individual...and since we're all intertwined...the decision made will (in) directly affect the survival rate of humanity..

“Define Necessity”

Since: Mar 13

FOR YOURSELF

#3615 Feb 12, 2014
cpeter1313 wrote:
This isn't a movement to depower men; it's just a movement to equalize both genders under the law. Women don't abort because they want to usurp men's power; they abort because they are pregnant and don't want to be. Just as men can seek treatment for unwanted physical conditions caused by their own actions, so too should women.
Social norms are conventions that often run counter to individual rights, yet the constitution gives all rights to the individual (except the press) and none to "society". Social norms favor the majority and the powerful.
<quoted text>
Well said.
carmen

Memphis, TN

#3616 Feb 12, 2014
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not saying a man should not be allowed to take care of his child born to a woman he's not married to, just that he shouldn't be legally obligated to.
That would overburden the system. As is, the system is overwrought with kids not being provided for. Men not being legally responsible for children they've helped create, will not solve the problem of so many kids not getting the support needed for proper growth. In fact, it will add to the problem.

We can't ignore the fact that there are many men and even women who do not believe in the institute of marriage to begin with. In the black community, this is especially so. To provide or not provide for your own children should not be a choice given because it would only hinder progress in terms of a more civilized society...not saying that the high rate of oow children not getting support is civilized because it is not. Just noting, making people less responsible than they already are will only add to the problem.

If we had a population of highly moral people, your solution would work. Otherwise, I think solutions revolving more around the ability to procreate would work better (such as dedbebbies suggestion).
carmen

Memphis, TN

#3617 Feb 12, 2014
IR BW wrote:
<quoted text>I agree..I think it should happen before conception...and what I mean by before..is both parties should do everything humanly possible to avoid unwanted pregnancy..if they don't want to parent together...if pregnancy then occur..They are both about equally responsible for not preventing it..
Then.. a woman currently has a legal right to birth or kill "up to a point"..and to make it at least fair.."imo"...is the man should still have a legal right to say no to parenting "up to that point"...
Good solution.
carmen

Memphis, TN

#3618 Feb 12, 2014
IR BW wrote:
<quoted text> Morally? Most would probably agree..
I don't view entitlements as guarantees.
IR BW wrote:
Legally? Maybe..maybe not..as there are biological parents who give up their responsibility/rights all the time...making born children not legally entitled to financial support..and emotional support is always a choice..one cannot give..what is not there..
Agree. Entitlement to me is the innate right to have something, but on the same token there is no guarantee that we will have it.
IR BW wrote:
<quoted text> Growing number of people sign relationship contracts ....it's a very popular new trend..
Oh. I guess I'm telling my age. My how things have change. Thank goodness I'm not in the pool of daters.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What music are you listening to right now? (Sep '08) 7 min Juliette Dodd 35,985
It's been over six months now.... 20 min Shondalyn Davis 15
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 24 min RoxLo 1,658,347
I need proof that the Ancient Egyptians Were No... (Oct '07) 50 min abc 36,685
Latino Men/Black Women (Mar '12) 1 hr Cigar Face 27 4,350
Blacks now control mainstream culture 1 hr Jake 11
After the Nogs built the "Gypshun" dynasty they... 1 hr Trollslayer 35
Pervert Alabama Republican Roy Moore 1 hr FireFellow44 96
"Jews will not replace us!" 3 hr Trollslayer 43
Why don't black people just brag about Nubia? 7 hr dreamhunk 240