Papua New Guineans (Melanesian)...Afr...

Level 1

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#23 Nov 19, 2008
Garrig wrote:
<quoted text>
They are also melanesisans and many look like Blacks.
Yes.......i know that lol

and yes most do look very similar to AA's...
Dr Endo

AOL

#24 Nov 19, 2008
twistedbabydoll wrote:
Here are some example pictures:
http://www.pilotguides.com/images/content/des...
http://www.journeys.tr avel/images/countries/photos/p apua_new_guinea.jpg
http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/corbis/DGT180/...
It's not so much based on skin color but physical appearance. Some have the various Sub-Saharan and Afro-Asiatic features. Hell, I even seen some that look like African-Americans of mixed Native American and European ancestry at various degrees.
According to some anthropological studies, Melanesians do not have African lineage.=(
What do you think?
The males tend to be very well muscled and lean. Body fat is often as low as 6%
Robin Goodfellow

Palmetto, GA

#25 Nov 19, 2008
yaya wrote:
<quoted text>
some solomon islanders are soo look like east africans its not funny i had few of them at school and i wondered how did you manage to sail all that way to the solomons while looking at them lol.papuans,vanauatu and the melnesians in general have alot of similarities but the solomons stikes me the most im like wow i cant tell the diffrence sometimes.
What I noticed was that the guys do have some diversity in their looks but the woman are uniformly the same especially in Papua and Irian Jaya.

Level 1

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#26 Nov 21, 2008
Dr Endo wrote:
<quoted text>
The males tend to be very well muscled and lean. Body fat is often as low as 6%
of course.....no bbq ribs or twinkies for them..LOL
Raulik

Perth, Australia

#27 Jan 19, 2009
I have often wondered if people from Bougainville and north solomons are related in some way to Andaman islanders

Since: Nov 08

Toronto, Canada

#28 Jan 19, 2009
They are considered to be black but not considered to be descendants of Sub Saharan Africa since they have lived in the Pacific Islands for thousands of years.

SoTrue:

This is actually a reason why some people prefer the term African American as oppose to just black. Black is only a physical descriptor but it does not give any historical or cultural meaning to the people.
Sinajuavi

United States

#29 Jan 19, 2009
I've hung with Papuans. I can instantly recognize them when I see one. In fact my daughter's best friend was Papuan. Anyway, they are indeed very interesting people for their culture. I remember one telling me, he had it far better than us, because he could leave civilization and disappear into the bush, whereas we were stuck here. I had to agree with him...

The problem they have is intense sexism. They treat women like property. When a relative dies, a woman must have one of her finger joints cut off. Older Papuan women often have only one joint left of each finger.

A husband can beat and even kill his wife with impunity. Obviously they need a feminist movement like so many societies do.

Black Americans often mistook them for other black Americans. I remember one Papuan asking me, "why do black people put up their fist and say 'right on brother' when they see me?" (this was the early 70's obviously).

Level 5

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#30 Apr 10, 2009
Sinajuavi wrote:
Papuans are most closely related to the peoples of their region, in other words, other islanders, Australians, and SE Asians.
Their habitat did not necessitate lightening of skin. Habitat forms human appearance. In the case of Papuans, their appearance which is African-like does not mean a thing regarding their relationships.
In fact, a Papuan is more closely related to a blonde Swede than to an African. Papuans, like Australians, are a subset of Eurasians.
This is genetics. It has nothing to do with whether the geneticist analyzing the genome is black or white!
Maybe so but they have a similar phenotype as Africans and would be seen as such in Western society. In fact some were even enslaved during the black birding raids.

Since: Sep 08

Redmond, WA

#31 Apr 10, 2009
Solomon Islanders and "some" Papuans certainly do look phenotypically black, but for some reason are not genetically classified as such.Strange,huh?

Level 5

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#32 Apr 10, 2009
gorilla Palms wrote:
Solomon Islanders and "some" Papuans certainly do look phenotypically black, but for some reason are not genetically classified as such.Strange,huh?
60,000 years out of Africa is plenty of time for major genetic drift. Yet if their environment is always the same (tropical), and they have already adapted, there is no good reason for their phenotype to change.
Actually

Corio, Australia

#33 May 21, 2009
Melanesians ARE in fact decendants of Africans, there is documentation in ancient swahilli texts of Melanesia, China, Australia and even Japan! Africans and melanesians also had an ancient trading route which is estimated to be around 5000-7000 years ago accross the Indian ocean based on mutual respect. In FACT! Africans traded goods with melanesians in return for bananas (which originated in the melanesia/new guinea area.

In regards to the comment about similarities between solomon islanders and east africans, just have a look at the andaman islanders. they look like africans and melanesians of the solomon area. Actually it wouldnt be too hard to navigate from east africa to the solomon islands, just follow the rising sun.

The Ghanan empires of west africa also traded with melanesia, around that same period.
mangi peles

Corio, Australia

#36 May 21, 2009
kangaroo wrote:
there are many New Guineans here in Australia.
Many of them are doctors and nurses and are very hospitable people. Culturally, they're very different to Africans.
I am melanesian, Actually yes we do have some very similar cultural similarities to Africans.
DUDE69

Trowbridge, UK

#37 May 21, 2009
Recent studies, which included DNA analysis of almost 700 samples from Aboriginal Australians and Melanesians, has confirmed the view that Aboriginal Australians are descended from the same small group of people who left Africa about 70,000 years ago. After arriving in Australia and New Guinea about 50,000 years ago, the settlers evolved in relative isolation, developing unique genetic characteristics and technology.
Interestingly, recent studies of DNA in Taiwan has provided some interesting conclusions about the origins of the Polynesian and Melanesian people.
DNA studies of the original group found three mutations shared by Taiwanese, Polynesians and Melanesians, who also speak Austronesian. These mutations are not found in other Asians and hence suggest that the Polynesians and Melanesians have their origins in the original inhabitants of Taiwan.
http://www.janeresture.com/melhome/index.htm
Half white half black

Coolbinia, Australia

#38 May 26, 2009
Yes this is true however don't forget that before they came from asia, they came from Africa. Melanesians, Andaman Islanders, Negrito tribes in asia are decendants of the great Shang Dynnasty in China, the early chinese civilizations where Dark skinned, fuzzy haired thick liped children of Africa who established Budhism, Tae Kwon Do and who also built Pyramids similar to the ones their ancestors had built in Ancient Egypt and Africa. Japan Also had a Black population before the mixed race Ainus and Far before the people with Mongoloid features.(Remember, This was before the end of the last ice age when the sea level rose and split it from China) Also, Trading was common between Africa, Asia, Japan, Melanesia and Australia. This was a fact of life for hundreds of generations that lasted thousands of years. Light skinned Europeans where once the minority in Europe as recent as 6000 years ago. And most are thought to have originated from India as albinos, who escaped ridicule and unfair treatment to move north west where the climate was easier to tolerate. This is based on evidence that Caucasians have very similar skull structures to Indians. India today is still one of the most racist places on earth with the horrible caste systems. Did these albinos have to prove their worth to the blacks(who where probably racist towards them)by competing and developing their technology? Who knows? Also it is interesting to note the findings of the fair skinned people of North England, Ireland and Scotland are closer related to present day Africans who may have been in a similar situation to the Indian Albinos. Perhaps a a couple of thousands of years ago these 'White Africans' with frizzy hair mixed with the albinos from India so much that instead their hair became curly instead of nappy. If you look at an African Albino, You will notice frizzy hair and know it is an African, If you look at an Asian Albino, you will notice the asian eyefolds and know it is and Asian, However, If you look at an Indian Albino, They will exactly resemble a caucasian. This is no Coincidence. This is a REALITY! we are all brothers and sisters on this planet and we all came from AFRICA!
Not African

Australia

#39 Jun 2, 2009
Hi I'm 100% papua new guinean born and bred. We arent african, we are pacific islanders so please stop trying to shove us into a racial category. Besides, there are heaps of different races in PNG. People from central province closely resemble polynesians with a lighter complexion, while people from the New Guinea islands have strong physical similarities with Fijians, Solomon Islanders and Vanuatuans. The highlanders are an entirely different group in their own right. There is no "typical" papua new guinean feature. You'll find people with long, soft, curly hair and people with short, frizzy hair. It all adds to the uniqueness of our people. And to the person who said our women chop off their fingers, that used to be an old customary practice in the highlands but it ceased a long, long time ago. If you ask me where I'm from, I'll just say i'm papua new guinean. Thats just the way it is pure and simple. No disrespect to my african brothers and sisters.
Proud Kumul

Australia

#40 Jun 2, 2009
I'm also from PNG and i agree that we arent Africans. We are so ethnically diverse that it is virtually impossible to "pin us down" to any one race in particular (and whatever crazy implications that go with it). Perhaps God put as here as an example to the world that man can co-exist amidst so much ethnic diversity. I have observed countries with comparatively fewer ethnic groups but the racial hatred that prevails is sickening in the extreme. I'm proud we in PNG are not the same.
pacific ilanders

Brampton, Canada

#41 Jun 15, 2009
pasific islanders are black people the dance to the asanti tribe and the jump poko which is an african tradition it came about in slavery. i am from an island as well. i think britain droped all there slaves on everyisland they conqure. dont you see every island own by britan or colony of britain as lots of black mix up or fully black. they drop slaves off to work the land and populate it.
pacific islanders

Brampton, Canada

#42 Jun 15, 2009
i will agree u cant pin them to one race but the follow african traditions the villagers) don't matter what the got corrupted with along the way they managed to keep the african tradition alive.

Since: Jul 08

Berkeley, CA

#43 Jun 15, 2009
I personally think that evolution had something to do with it.

“Lucky charm”

Since: Dec 08

where lost souls gather

#44 Jun 15, 2009
twistedbabydoll wrote:
Here are some example pictures:
http://www.pilotguides.com/images/content/des...
http://www.journeys.tr avel/images/countries/photos/p apua_new_guinea.jpg
http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/corbis/DGT180/...
It's not so much based on skin color but physical appearance. Some have the various Sub-Saharan and Afro-Asiatic features. Hell, I even seen some that look like African-Americans of mixed Native American and European ancestry at various degrees.
According to some anthropological studies, Melanesians do not have African lineage.=(
What do you think?
that third one look like usher.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min flack 1,375,553
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 8 min DoeDamecocks 43,699
What music are you listening to right now? (Sep '08) 9 min freddie50 34,987
lipstickalley.com is black woman's misery (Jul '12) 10 min Aly 51
Crooked Hillary 14 min RMGHispanic Causi... 27
News Dueling groups to rally at Confederate landmark 22 min barefoot2626 643
Non-whites should Reduce Whiteys' Ability to Co... 24 min Fried coon 5
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 1 hr yisarel 133,440
HANNIBAL BARCA - of Carthage (North Africa) ... (Oct '07) 1 hr dreamhunk 3,667
Why all black women must breed with white men! 3 hr Black girl 50