|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2008

Judged:

Ariel wrote:
It was quite a shock to find out that I am not considered an African-American because my mother is from Trinidad. I'm a Trinidadian-American. Whenever I tell anyone this they get...Rude.
I didn't say that I was better than anybody but that unfortunately seems to be the mindset of certain African-Americans who are unhappy with simply being black.
I explain to them that I am still a black person but they immediately think: West Indies,Bahamas, Rhianna, tan-skinned girls with straight hair, slanted eyes...Just island stereotypes. Diluted black islanders. Apparently considered "too pretty" to be just black.
One boy went as far to tell me that I was "too dark to have a mother from the islands". You can imagine my shock because all of the pictures that I've seen of the soccer teams are all dark-skinned African-Indian people. The pictures from the crowd depict a colorful array of people. My family has me and I'm pretty much the darkest, but that doesn't change that there are a lot of dark people out in the islands too.
So please don't get caught up in this stereotypes of Pochanates of Hawaii or Rhianna or whatever people think when they think Island Girl...
I am still a black person and no I don't think I'm better than you unless you are ignorant enough to believe so lol.(jk)
Who cares what other people think. Just do you. F*ck them.

“Engaged :)”

Since: Aug 07

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2008

BrownSuga wrote:
Ever since I moved to Florida a lot of people think im from Trinidad and they be kinda rude too, until they really know where im from then they whole attitude change. I've never delt with rude people cause of that.
really?
what Caribs are rude to you or AA's?

“can't stand stupid people ”

Level 1

Since: Jul 08

Austria

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2008

Judged:

This is interesting stuff here for real! I don't know any Carribeans here, if there are some, it must be a small minority BUT here it is West African against East African - even more all Africans against Nigerians.

“Destroying hate through laugh.”

Racist laugh have rotten teeth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

BrownSuga wrote:
Ever since I moved to Florida a lot of people think im from Trinidad and they be kinda rude too, until they really know where im from then they whole attitude change. I've never delt with rude people cause of that.
You smell like suga. Who guy in pic? Boyfriend. I'm jealous.

Since: Jul 07

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2008

Mack the Great wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Interesting.I don't know if it's because they think you're a Carribean islander wannabe like Trinidadian or not and that East LondonGyal had told me that some Trinidadians tend to be stuck up and nationalistic, so that may also explain why those AA's were acting so rude to you.I never would have guessed that you were half trinidadian based on your beautiful face but at least I don't buy into the beliefs of what your stereotypical black Carribean islander should look like and who am I to tell you what you aren't.:)
Some African-Americans tend to be stuck up and nationalistic as well. Do you really think that kind of thing doesn't excist in every race. What's amazing to me is that all the Trinidadian's that I know are fully supportive of African-American's and tell me how "bright" they are and how they've changed their country and so on.If those African-Americans were being rude simply because they met a few bad apples (which I doubt because the people that I am talking about know little to nothing about the world outside of their small neighborhoods filled with people of the same ignorant thinking) then shame on them. I mean I could also make judgements based on these few African-Americans but I don't.

And thank your for the compliment but Trinidadian's aren't short on beauty lol. I hope that's not what you were trying to say.It's probably not but just in case anyone was wondering:

http://www.islandevents.com/whats_hot/uploads...

Those are some fine men.

http://www.afrobella.com/wp-content/afrobella...

And Miss. Lola Luv is half Trinidadian. And so Is Foxy Brown...Both are kind-of disgraces though.

http://www.jamati.com/online/wp-content/uploa...

And the beautiful Nia Long who is a wonderful example of Trinidad's women :)

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/celeb...

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2008

Beediddy wrote:
Wasn't Pocahontas a Native American?
When I think of "Island girls" I don't see Rihanna. I see a black person. Light or dark, you're still black.
She was but it's an example of how different races are white washed similarly done to the islanders.

http://www.old-picture.com/indians/pictures/I...

http://www.old-picture.com/indians/pictures/S...

These women might have looked like Pochahontes in younger days...

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2008

TheBlackEpictetus wrote:
<quoted text>
Ignore the imbeciles that make ridiculous gestures like that. Only stupid, brainwashed Negroes think like that. You are African in America just like those of us in the states.
My late great-grandmother happens to descend from Jamaica, but she was still an African-American. Also, don't let these color struck, slave Negroes tell what a prototypical 'islander' is supposed to look like.
Just my 2 cents...
ROFL haha. That made me laugh. I'm going to tell them that next time because I'm so sick of it. These people are colorstruck. They act like I'm lying or something!

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2008

therbred wrote:
Sad to see so many cold and ignorant peeps out there. Hey Ariel.
Peeps lol. I'm thinking of this now:

http://warehouse.carlh.com/article_007/peeps2...
Peep fighting. Now illegal in 23 different coutnries.

How's it going Therbred?:)

Since: May 07

Fort Washington, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2008

Ariel wrote:
<quoted text>
Some African-Americans tend to be stuck up and nationalistic as well. Do you really think that kind of thing doesn't excist in every race. What's amazing to me is that all the Trinidadian's that I know are fully supportive of African-American's and tell me how "bright" they are and how they've changed their country and so on.If those African-Americans were being rude simply because they met a few bad apples (which I doubt because the people that I am talking about know little to nothing about the world outside of their small neighborhoods filled with people of the same ignorant thinking) then shame on them. I mean I could also make judgements based on these few African-Americans but I don't.
And thank your for the compliment but Trinidadian's aren't short on beauty lol. I hope that's not what you were trying to say.It's probably not but just in case anyone was wondering:
http://www.islandevents.com/whats_hot/uploads...
Those are some fine men.
http://www.afrobella.com/wp-content/afrobella...
And Miss. Lola Luv is half Trinidadian. And so Is Foxy Brown...Both are kind-of disgraces though.
http://www.jamati.com/online/wp-content/uploa...
And the beautiful Nia Long who is a wonderful example of Trinidad's women :)
http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/celeb...
Yeah, we AA's tend to be stuck up highly nationalistic towards other black ethnicities but not all of us are like that. I never knew that Trinidadians greatly appreciate us AA's and how we helped their country. You cold say that those AA's who harshly judged you may had a few bad experiences with Trinidadians for them to assume that about you. I wasn;t saying that Trinidadian are short on beauty LOL. I think you Trinidadian women are the best exotic mix of black women in the Carribbean. There's something about Trinidadians and their culture that makes me so fascinated about you folks. Damn, Nia Long's Trinidadian? Damn, I never would've known!LOL! I guess it's because since Caribbeans look like us AA's with Anglicized surnames as well, I wouldn't be able to tell if another black person in America was Caribbean unless they told me LOL!
african queen 83

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2008

Judged:

im jamaican, once i went on a interveiw and the lady that was interveiwing let me know that im not black im jamaican. this lady is white, i let her know that im from a black race. regardless of my nationality im still consider black.

Level 2

Jamaica Queens, New York

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2008

Well, I've actually never stereotyped caribbeans as looking like Rihana because most caribbeans I know look completely different from her and don't usually have green eyes. I know some trinidadians and guyanese people that are indian and have straight hair and lighter but thats certainly not all of them because I know more black trinidadians and guyanese.

“somali coast”

Since: Apr 08

Arnhem, Gelderland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2008

Mack the Great wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting video. That pretty much sums it up. There's still too much division and competition between us AA's Carribbeans and Africans and we need to put aside our differences and unify to strenghten the global black community since white people enjoy seeing us AA's, Carribbans and Africans fight amongst each other and don't want to see us loving one another and unifying to combat white supremacy.
Exactly.

“Uncle Tom”

Since: Feb 07

Paterson, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2008

Ariel wrote:
It was quite a shock to find out that I am not considered an African-American because my mother is from Trinidad. I'm a Trinidadian-American. Whenever I tell anyone this they get...Rude.
I didn't say that I was better than anybody but that unfortunately seems to be the mindset of certain African-Americans who are unhappy with simply being black.
I explain to them that I am still a black person but they immediately think: West Indies,Bahamas, Rhianna, tan-skinned girls with straight hair, slanted eyes...Just island stereotypes. Diluted black islanders. Apparently considered "too pretty" to be just black.
One boy went as far to tell me that I was "too dark to have a mother from the islands". You can imagine my shock because all of the pictures that I've seen of the soccer teams are all dark-skinned African-Indian people. The pictures from the crowd depict a colorful array of people. My family has me and I'm pretty much the darkest, but that doesn't change that there are a lot of dark people out in the islands too.
So please don't get caught up in this stereotypes of Pochanates of Hawaii or Rhianna or whatever people think when they think Island Girl...
I am still a black person and no I don't think I'm better than you unless you are ignorant enough to believe so lol.(jk)
most people will be hard pressed to differentiate a west indian from an AA because we look exactly alike, so i am shocked with your story. Secondly if your mom is trini more than likely she will acknowledge you as one as well. Again this is not unique since there are mainy AA -WI couples as well. Its been my observation that the kids will identify with the west indian heritage.

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2008

Conscience Sister wrote:
Well, I've actually never stereotyped caribbeans as looking like Rihana because most caribbeans I know look completely different from her and don't usually have green eyes. I know some trinidadians and guyanese people that are indian and have straight hair and lighter but thats certainly not all of them because I know more black trinidadians and guyanese.
Really? I know more lighter and in the middle Trinis and the Guyanese that I know are on the darker side! lol what a ca-wink-i-dink! haha.

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2008

Mack the Great wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, we AA's tend to be stuck up highly nationalistic towards other black ethnicities but not all of us are like that. I never knew that Trinidadians greatly appreciate us AA's and how we helped their country. You cold say that those AA's who harshly judged you may had a few bad experiences with Trinidadians for them to assume that about you. I wasn;t saying that Trinidadian are short on beauty LOL. I think you Trinidadian women are the best exotic mix of black women in the Carribbean. There's something about Trinidadians and their culture that makes me so fascinated about you folks. Damn, Nia Long's Trinidadian? Damn, I never would've known!LOL! I guess it's because since Caribbeans look like us AA's with Anglicized surnames as well, I wouldn't be able to tell if another black person in America was Caribbean unless they told me LOL!
OHhhh trust me, you'd here that accent rofl haha.

What a sweet and endearing post my friend :)
Don't make me too proud. I will gloat and strut around like an arrogant Island Princess Peacock haha.

Oh and I don't think that these people have met other Islanders because they think they have to be tan with wavy hare and tiny features lol.

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2008

african queen 83 wrote:
im jamaican, once i went on a interveiw and the lady that was interveiwing let me know that im not black im jamaican. this lady is white, i let her know that im from a black race. regardless of my nationality im still consider black.
ahaha rofl did you get that job? Cause SHE woulda had to find a new one once I reported that innappropriate convo to the EEOC.

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2008

freeradical wrote:
<quoted text>
most people will be hard pressed to differentiate a west indian from an AA because we look exactly alike, so i am shocked with your story. Secondly if your mom is trini more than likely she will acknowledge you as one as well. Again this is not unique since there are mainy AA -WI couples as well. Its been my observation that the kids will identify with the west indian heritage.
Mmm. I identify with both. Probably to be honest not as equally because I live in the US...I consider both to be black though...

And the AA that I know look nothing like the Trini that I personally know but I know that SOME do...My folks don't though...A lot actually look like the stereotypical islanders...I just don't.
mr Giblets

India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2008

Mack the Great wrote:
<quoted text>
Now I see, and it makes sense considering the fact that we AA's,Carribbeans, and Africans have always wanted money and better lives since we all came from poor low class disenfranchised families and we don't want other blacks holding us back and preventing us from reaching the same goals. It's so sad.
she is not black at all. I don't know how you are fooled so easily.
mr Giblets

India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2008

african queen 83 wrote:
there are plenty of white Jamaicans. perhaps if you learned to spell , you might get a job. Black is NOT a nationality, Jamaican is.

Level 2

Philly & London SE6

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2008

mr Giblets wrote:
<quoted text>there are plenty of white Jamaicans. perhaps if you learned to spell , you might get a job. Black is NOT a nationality, Jamaican is.
Ah, Mr. Tidbits is at it again. First of all, my dear, we didn't create this classification system were we have to designate our ethinicity. If she was in Jamaica (based on what I still remember) she would not even have to select "black" on an application, all that they care about is that you are a national. However, in the US and UK people want to know these things. Who should be preaching to whom??? And this is Topix dear, no one is writing a book or a dissertation to worry about spelling.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of54
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••