why dont AAs know nothing about liberia

Since: Jun 09

Maple Grove, MN

#107 Jun 25, 2009
BritishBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
hi how r u my friend, im also a newham born and raised boy and yes everything you said is correct btw and i know so much about sierra leone and have mixed sierra leonean krio family members like ur family too lol. yes those names you mentioned are also common with americo liberians like brown, white, campbell and so on. i really wish liberia and sierra leone were one country as they are very similar. i use to think that all the krio sierra leoneans were of west indian ancestry until i read more about it. one of my sierra leonean uncles said that most krios have left sierra leone now.
I am not surprised you are Newham born (I was thinking so)...most mixed community in England! I was raised in Custom House near Canning Town...not the best area but my parents sent me to private school worked hard for me to do well. We moved to the US when I was seven.

But yep not many folks left in Sierra Leone...mainly the older ones, tho some young ones do remain. I still have Krio relatives in Salone, my paternal grandma is there, members of the Campbell family, etc. But I have many relatives in London of course..the Robinsons, Wilsons, etc.

And wow! I was gonna say yeah we have similar names...like the Whites..the Whites are an Americo Liberian family who are close to my Aunt and Uncle who worked in Liberia...recently one married a Liberian Jarrett..who are descendants of Creoles who went to Liberia.

Indeed I wish Liberia and Salone were one country..unbelievable how are countries are soooo similar with the Krios forming an elite and the Americos also forming an elite. Both also valued education very much as well.

So I thought as well..and its certainly true to an extent. Most Creoles have this basic ancestry: West Indian and Liberated African. Most of the suburbs of Freetown comprise Liberated African descendants but many West Indians intermarried with these folks and thus many have West Indian ancestry. But many Creoles have "Settler'(Nova Scotians) and Maroon ancestry.

But let me ask you, are there still Americo Liberians left? Like from what I have heard there are few if any left (they say the same about Krios but since I know its certainly not the case for us I am skeptical in accepting it for Americo Liberians). Do you have a lot of Americo Liberians in Liberia, or have most moved out? My cousin says there are many in Maryland, Virginia, D.C....incidentally where many Krios can be found.

So you are mixed Krio and Americo? Many Americos married Krios and vice versa. Indeed I think I have some Liberian ancestry. My paternal great grandma was the first cousin of Abel Sawyer..father of Liberian interim president Amos Sawyer. Abel used to visit and stay with my great grandma in Salone.

Since: Dec 07

East London UK

#108 Jun 25, 2009
Creoleboy92 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not surprised you are Newham born (I was thinking so)...most mixed community in England! I was raised in Custom House near Canning Town...not the best area but my parents sent me to private school worked hard for me to do well. We moved to the US when I was seven.
But yep not many folks left in Sierra Leone...mainly the older ones, tho some young ones do remain. I still have Krio relatives in Salone, my paternal grandma is there, members of the Campbell family, etc. But I have many relatives in London of course..the Robinsons, Wilsons, etc.
And wow! I was gonna say yeah we have similar names...like the Whites..the Whites are an Americo Liberian family who are close to my Aunt and Uncle who worked in Liberia...recently one married a Liberian Jarrett..who are descendants of Creoles who went to Liberia.
Indeed I wish Liberia and Salone were one country..unbelievable how are countries are soooo similar with the Krios forming an elite and the Americos also forming an elite. Both also valued education very much as well.
So I thought as well..and its certainly true to an extent. Most Creoles have this basic ancestry: West Indian and Liberated African. Most of the suburbs of Freetown comprise Liberated African descendants but many West Indians intermarried with these folks and thus many have West Indian ancestry. But many Creoles have "Settler'(Nova Scotians) and Maroon ancestry.
But let me ask you, are there still Americo Liberians left? Like from what I have heard there are few if any left (they say the same about Krios but since I know its certainly not the case for us I am skeptical in accepting it for Americo Liberians). Do you have a lot of Americo Liberians in Liberia, or have most moved out? My cousin says there are many in Maryland, Virginia, D.C....incidentally where many Krios can be found.
So you are mixed Krio and Americo? Many Americos married Krios and vice versa. Indeed I think I have some Liberian ancestry. My paternal great grandma was the first cousin of Abel Sawyer..father of Liberian interim president Amos Sawyer. Abel used to visit and stay with my great grandma in Salone.
wow i cant believe this im from canning town originally but now live in romford how long ago did u leave england if you dont mind me asking?

yes i also have sierra leonean ancestry too so im all mixed up lol.

i also keep hearing about most americo liberians and krios being extinct but to be honest i have never been to liberia and have very little family there left, most of my family live in america now and some left liberia way back in 1980 after the coup and most of the rest left in 1990 and after that and of course some live here in england too.

i often wonder if there are pure americo liberian kids left in liberia or evan pure krios left i know that there are definately some left like in arthington village, conga town and a few more places but there has been so much intermarriage so its hard to tell and plus it seems like alot of people have an americo liberian mother and native father but still call themselves americo lol.not to add many people who are mixed americo and native also marry other people who are mixed americo and native. my family has all sorts of people now, inlcuding people who are mixed with vai, mende, gola, lebanese, white and so on.

wow i have heard of the jarrets. the population is so small of both liberia and salone lol.

East London UK

#109 Jun 25, 2009
may i add im not pure lol, i am mixed vai and mende blood as well.

“ "One Love"”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#110 Jun 25, 2009
BritishBoy wrote:
Im sorry but as a person of liberian descent i am disturbed at the lack of knowledge AAs know about Liberia. It annoys me that most african americans dont evan know where the hell liberia is let alone know anything about the history, it also annoys me that they have know idea that so many liberians are decendents of african american slaves, it annoys me that african americans do not realise the liberian pidgen english is very similar to the african american accent, in fact liberia is the only country in africa which has an accent very americanised so this should make liberia stand out evan more. the decendents of american slaves in liberia are called americo liberians and americo liberians look exactly like african americans in terms of physical features. the cultures are very similar too and liberians know everything they need to know about american culture yet americans are so clueless about the relationship the two countries have. also lets not forget liberians integrate in african american communities far more than any other african country and also have the highest acceptance of passport than any other african american country. i also like to add liberia was the only country not colinised by europeans and the only country in africa to be independent in the 1800s.
so i would like to dedecate this whole point to liberia only and will be posting videos on liberia in here too from movies to people and so on and listen to how similar the accent is compared to your accent.
I have many Liberian friends I know some of the history. but your wrong Ethiopia was also another independent African country with Liberia at the time.

East London UK

#111 Jun 25, 2009
Bini Ethio wrote:
<quoted text>
I have many Liberian friends I know some of the history. but your wrong Ethiopia was also another independent African country with Liberia at the time.
Yes you are right i forgot ethiopia too. but liberia was first.

“PREGNANT AND STILL A QTGIRL”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#112 Jun 25, 2009
Liberian girl by Michael Jackson

&fe ature=channel

East London UK

#113 Jun 25, 2009
qtgirl wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =PjtI2WZTZ9kXX&feature=cha nnel
i always wondered why mj sang that song lol. RIP MICHEAL JACKSON.
King Goku XIII

Harvey, IL

#114 Jun 25, 2009
qtgirl wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =PjtI2WZTZ9kXX&feature=cha nnel
Damn you beat me to it, I was about to the post it

Maple Grove, MN

#115 Jun 25, 2009
BritishBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
i always wondered why mj sang that song lol. RIP MICHEAL JACKSON.
Was just thinking of that today

RIP The Undisputed King of Pop

“ "One Love"”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#116 Jun 25, 2009
BritishBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you are right i forgot ethiopia too. but liberia was first.
No what i'm saying is Ethiopia was actually never colonized by anyone.

Maple Grove, MN

#117 Jun 25, 2009
BritishBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
wow i cant believe this im from canning town originally but now live in romford how long ago did u leave england if you dont mind me asking?
yes i also have sierra leonean ancestry too so im all mixed up lol.
i also keep hearing about most americo liberians and krios being extinct but to be honest i have never been to liberia and have very little family there left, most of my family live in america now and some left liberia way back in 1980 after the coup and most of the rest left in 1990 and after that and of course some live here in england too.
i often wonder if there are pure americo liberian kids left in liberia or evan pure krios left i know that there are definately some left like in arthington village, conga town and a few more places but there has been so much intermarriage so its hard to tell and plus it seems like alot of people have an americo liberian mother and native father but still call themselves americo lol.not to add many people who are mixed americo and native also marry other people who are mixed americo and native. my family has all sorts of people now, inlcuding people who are mixed with vai, mende, gola, lebanese, white and so on.
wow i have heard of the jarrets. the population is so small of both liberia and salone lol.
WOW!!! I used to live in Romford before I moved to Custom House..I moved from England in 1999, came back and moved permanently in 2000. In 99 I lived with my maternal grandma, in 2000 I moved with my parents.

Im pretty much mainly Sierra Leonean lol, and I know for Creoles it definitely not the case there are many Creoles in Freetown and overseas lol.

I've always wondered about the Americos tho, whether there are any left in Liberia. But indeed seems what is the case for Krios is the same for Americos.

Exactly! To be honest my family is mainly still Creole, but Aunty married a native, my uncles europeans, tho one uncle was at one time married to a native.

Yep thats what I heard about Americo Liberians, that many are mixed up and that many are half native and claim Americo heritage. In Creole society some try to do that but to be honest (and I say this with all respect) it usually doesnt fly.

Im mixed with Ghanaian, Guinean, and native Sherbro (12% and through that lineage I could have Mende or Korankoh) so Im certainly not a poster child for pure Creole lol.

So really there are pure Americos in Congo Town and Arthington Village? Thats quite intriguing indeed.

Yep some of my fam are also mixed, tho overwhelmingly Creole...got some who marry AAs, East Africans, etc

To be honest Britishboy do you ever think there was "pure Creoles" or pure "Americos" lol..some our ancestors loved the beauty of the native girls long before their descendants did.

Though in all seriousness I know Creoles intermarry a lot in Freetown, but I know many are mixed Mende, Temne, Lebanese, White etc.

Wow!!! My great grandma RIP was related to the Jarrets. Salone and Liberia is a small place you know

Maple Grove, MN

#118 Jun 25, 2009
BritishBoy wrote:
may i add im not pure lol, i am mixed vai and mende blood as well.
lol We are all mixed..Im "pure" Creole but if you subtract the Ghanaian, Sherbro, Fulani, Guinean..then Im not so "pure" Creole either..even though some would say being of Settler, Lib African, and probably West Indian heritage I come from good Krio stock.

I grew up knowing my parents as Sierra leoneans first, and secondarily as Krios.

HBU?(how bout you???)

Btw (by the way) which Sierra leonean/Krio families do you know? Just curious lol

East London UK

#119 Jun 26, 2009
yes i too always wondered about pure americos tbh i belive the only pure americo liberians were the people who landed off the boat in the 1800s but i cant be sure because alot of people say it isnt true so maybe im wrong.

i have always seen myself as a liberian who is mixed with sierra leonean i dont really use the terms americo liberian or native liberian in fact i somtimes wish africa as a whole never had so many tribes because there wouldnt be so many wars and conflicts.

its interesting u have fulani and all that other stuff in you as well.

the krio families from sierra leone i know are the wilson cole family, the lightfoot boston family, the taylor family, the williams as well and im sure theres more that i just cant think of right now.

its interesting u seemed to live everywhere i have lol, we may have met each other its a small world lol. im guessing u must be about 17 am i right? only because you said you left uk in 1999 and was 7.

East London UK

#120 Jun 26, 2009
btw creole, i may add that the present generation of liberians dont use the term americo liberian anymore, mainly the older people do. people now use the term konger or conga but funny enough i notice people in sierra leone still call konger people krio as well and liberians still call krio people konger people too lol.

“~Belle et ReBelle ~”

Since: Oct 08

NYC

#121 Jun 26, 2009
i have known about it for awhile, i think its signifcant in the history between africa and the usa. many african americans went back there and settled in the 1800s or something right, even marcus garvey was trying to go there, and i think most educated people would know about this, im not sure, i know in haiti it is taught in alot of history classes. i am interested in learning about africa trust me, i know alot more about africa countries than many would think or presume

Maple Grove, MN

#122 Jun 26, 2009
BritishBoy wrote:
btw creole, i may add that the present generation of liberians dont use the term americo liberian anymore, mainly the older people do. people now use the term konger or conga but funny enough i notice people in sierra leone still call konger people krio as well and liberians still call krio people konger people too lol.
Thank you very much for telling me this. Im so confused about that...whether Americo Liberians call themselves Congos...I always understood that to be the case from my parents, but when you go online and read its kinda difficult to know between what your parents say and what these Americans who report on Liberia say....

Wow, like you say, Krios call Americos "Congos" in fact my grandparents and others dont know the term "Americo Liberian".

Wow, this is new information for me! I was not sure the Congos knew too much about Krios..tho I know that Krios know somewhat about Congos, and recognize them as a similar ethnic group.

PS: Another term for congoes is the term "honorables" due to the fact they used to have the title Honorable..some of this is in Helene Cooper's memoir which I was so excited about at the beginning of last year and which I purchased as soon as I could. Its a great read you should read it if you have not already

Maple Grove, MN

#125 Jun 26, 2009
Nadege wrote:
i have known about it for awhile, i think its signifcant in the history between africa and the usa. many african americans went back there and settled in the 1800s or something right, even marcus garvey was trying to go there, and i think most educated people would know about this, im not sure, i know in haiti it is taught in alot of history classes. i am interested in learning about africa trust me, i know alot more about africa countries than many would think or presume
Thats great!!! I encourage others to know about Africa as well

Maple Grove, MN

#126 Jun 26, 2009
BritishBoy wrote:
yes i too always wondered about pure americos tbh i belive the only pure americo liberians were the people who landed off the boat in the 1800s but i cant be sure because alot of people say it isnt true so maybe im wrong.
i have always seen myself as a liberian who is mixed with sierra leonean i dont really use the terms americo liberian or native liberian in fact i somtimes wish africa as a whole never had so many tribes because there wouldnt be so many wars and conflicts.
its interesting u have fulani and all that other stuff in you as well.
the krio families from sierra leone i know are the wilson cole family, the lightfoot boston family, the taylor family, the williams as well and im sure theres more that i just cant think of right now.
its interesting u seemed to live everywhere i have lol, we may have met each other its a small world lol. im guessing u must be about 17 am i right? only because you said you left uk in 1999 and was 7.
Wait a lot of people don't think the Americo Liberians who arrived in Liberia were "pure"?

Tecnically not cuz what if their ancestors who arrived in America on slave ships were originally from liberia or salone..lol..some krios are descended from indigeneous sierra leoneans no doubt the same with americo liberians and indigeneous liberians

East London UK

#127 Jun 26, 2009
Creoleboy92 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you very much for telling me this. Im so confused about that...whether Americo Liberians call themselves Congos...I always understood that to be the case from my parents, but when you go online and read its kinda difficult to know between what your parents say and what these Americans who report on Liberia say....
Wow, like you say, Krios call Americos "Congos" in fact my grandparents and others dont know the term "Americo Liberian".
Wow, this is new information for me! I was not sure the Congos knew too much about Krios..tho I know that Krios know somewhat about Congos, and recognize them as a similar ethnic group.
PS: Another term for congoes is the term "honorables" due to the fact they used to have the title Honorable..some of this is in Helene Cooper's memoir which I was so excited about at the beginning of last year and which I purchased as soon as I could. Its a great read you should read it if you have not already
yes americans dont seem to get things right about the americo liberian stuff lol, they still claim on wikepedia that kongers and americos are different people, which was obviously the case during the 1800s but since then they have been considered the same and mingled into each other i think the recaptured african slaves were considered conger originally but they were only about 5000 so they eventually integrated into the much larger americo population but the term americo became unfasionable during the 50s as it implied they were not real liberian.

yes i know all about helene cooper im so suprised you do thats so cool, her grandmother is a friend of my grandmother and they are all most definately pure blooded americo liberians and all their grandchildren in the family too lol.both helenes parents i belive are decendents from the mulatto upper class americos although considered black. i should definately read the book as you suggested, i had no idea about the honourables lol.

East London UK

#128 Jun 26, 2009
Creoleboy92 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait a lot of people don't think the Americo Liberians who arrived in Liberia were "pure"?
Tecnically not cuz what if their ancestors who arrived in America on slave ships were originally from liberia or salone..lol..some krios are descended from indigeneous sierra leoneans no doubt the same with americo liberians and indigeneous liberians
naw when they say pure they mean as in they were pure in the sense that they were new to liberia and had no idea where in africa they were from although many of them did. and anybody who is a decendent of those people but never had any recent connection to natives since their ancesters arrived is considered pure if you get what i mean.

yes you are right realistically there were never no pure krios or congers as they were already of african ancestry anyway and yes you are right many of the americo liberins were decendants of liberians for example i know my fathers ancestry is of vai, mende and possibly gola and there was one president in liberia i cannot remember his name but his ancestry was from the vai tribe too. also many americos were of salone, nigerian and other west african countries and of course many also haveing english or irish heritage too.

so is it your mother parents or fathers parents who are still alive?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
white boys have small butts 1 min BillyDbigballer 4
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min No Surprize 1,711,142
Black people are very scared of white cops 5 min Buckbreaker 1
Black freemason wanna make white masons slaves 12 min Spinning 360 waves 3
He baaaaaack it Black Hitluh! 15 min Got Rope 1
Why can't Negroes ever get it together? 21 min BillyDbigballer 2
Rich white people and white cops are very scare... 25 min Spinning 360 waves 3
Lone Black Lady Jogging In Park 1 hr Jake 124
Trump's approval now down to 35% 1 hr T-BOS 10
Smartest posters on Topix afam 2 hr Joey 235