Why do people stare @ bi-racial kids?

Posted in the African-American Forum

First Prev
of 40
Next Last

Since: Aug 07

East Aurora, NY

#1 Oct 1, 2007
Does anyone else have this problem? If so, please help me to not knock someone out next time.

I'm white and my husband is black, our daughter however, does not look like your typical mulatto kid. She has sandy to light blonde curley hair, blue/grey eyes and all of your typical AA features. BUT she is as white as me. She's beautiful.

My husband adn I recently took our 4 yr old daughter to a pumpkin farm where they have pumpkins to buy, obviously, and rides and food and stuff for the kids, it's pretty big and very popular. But the whole time we were there people kept staring at her and then at us and then back at her. One old lady actually was about 10-15 feet past us, I saw her starring as she was walking towards us and continued pass, I turned around and she was still srtarring, walking straight ahead but looking all the way back at us.

I just don't get it, is it curiousity, confusion, disgust, admiration, ignorance/stupidity, what?

Does anyone else have this issue? I can't be the only one in this big world.
MDJ

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#2 Oct 1, 2007
Well i don't have this issue. But i'm guilty of staring. Probably, because i'm not a Mother. And i love children. And Bi-racial children, are gorgeous!!!(As all black and white children). But they are really cute. How can you not stare? Sorry, maybe it's just me.

(And then i am guilty of saying). If i see a White woman, holding a child that is a darker complexion. I'm like "Oh the father must be black". Yes, i'm guilty of that also.
HAZEL

United States

#4 Oct 1, 2007
A lot of them are exotic looking that's why. People stare at me to. lol!

Level 1

Since: Jul 07

Cleveland, OH

#5 Oct 1, 2007
OhNoNO wrote:
Does anyone else have this problem? If so, please help me to not knock someone out next time.
I'm white and my husband is black, our daughter however, does not look like your typical mulatto kid. She has sandy to light blonde curley hair, blue/grey eyes and all of your typical AA features. BUT she is as white as me. She's beautiful.
My husband adn I recently took our 4 yr old daughter to a pumpkin farm where they have pumpkins to buy, obviously, and rides and food and stuff for the kids, it's pretty big and very popular. But the whole time we were there people kept staring at her and then at us and then back at her. One old lady actually was about 10-15 feet past us, I saw her starring as she was walking towards us and continued pass, I turned around and she was still srtarring, walking straight ahead but looking all the way back at us.
I just don't get it, is it curiousity, confusion, disgust, admiration, ignorance/stupidity, what?
I usually find bi-racial children to be positively beautiful. And I do admit thta I look...because they are so pretty. But...instead of just staring I will tell the mother or father or both that their child is beautiful, I will tell the little one what a handsome lady or young man they are...and leave it at that. Mostly I think it is because they are so pretty...but yes...for some it is pure ignorance.
Robbie J

Auburn Hills, MI

#6 Oct 1, 2007
Benny_Blakk wrote:
<quoted text>
i'm sure you're daughter is beautiful and unfortunately some people just have that mentality as though there shouldn't be a "mixing of the races"....
on the other hand, sometimes it has nothing to do with the fact of the children being interracial. i often stare at my nephew, my sister and his father. to see him sit in between them is extremely intriguing. i can see EXACTLY what feature's he has from which parent. if you pan from left to right, you can literally see the transition from one face to the other.
Good post.
Robbie J

Auburn Hills, MI

#7 Oct 1, 2007
HAZEL wrote:
Ditto.

East Aurora, NY

#8 Oct 1, 2007
MDJ wrote:
Well i don't have this issue. But i'm guilty of staring. Probably, because i'm not a Mother. And i love children. And Bi-racial children, are gorgeous!!!(As all black and white children). But they are really cute. How can you not stare? Sorry, maybe it's just me.
(And then i am guilty of saying). If i see a White woman, holding a child that is a darker complexion. I'm like "Oh the father must be black". Yes, i'm guilty of that also.
Your honesty is appreciated. You may just be caught up in the stereotypes like soo many others. I get the feeling that your stares would not be in hate though.

East Aurora, NY

#9 Oct 1, 2007
Benny_Blakk wrote:
<quoted text>
i'm sure you're daughter is beautiful and unfortunately some people just have that mentality as though there shouldn't be a "mixing of the races"....
on the other hand, sometimes it has nothing to do with the fact of the children being interracial. i often stare at my nephew, my sister and his father. to see him sit in between them is extremely intriguing. i can see EXACTLY what feature's he has from which parent. if you pan from left to right, you can literally see the transition from one face to the other.
OK, but you stare in admiration of them it sounds like. Some of my freinds have been out with us before and they all think I'm crazy or paranoid about it until they see it for themselves. People starring withe the worst looks on their faces. I can't stand it.

East Aurora, NY

#10 Oct 1, 2007
Do any of you have your own kids?

I try to tell my daughter in the couple times she has noticed recently as she becomes more aware of what people do, that they are just curious.

What do you say really? I try to be diplomatic but that old lady really pissed me off, it was hard that day.

Virginia Beach, VA

#11 Oct 1, 2007
OhNoNO wrote:
Oh yes, people will continue to stare, & when she's older, people will start asking her stupidass questions like "what are you?", or "were you adopted?". For the most part, I don't think people have ill intentions at all, they're just curious. I don't know WHY they're curious, but they are. I'm biracial too, & I've dealt with this same stuff all my life, the stares, the questions, the complete strangers that think it's ok to run their fingers through my hair, ect. It is annoying, but try not to let it frustrate you too much. That's why you'd call these folks IGNORANT, most of the time they don't even know they're being rude as hell.
Robbie J

Auburn Hills, MI

#12 Oct 1, 2007
neutralove wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yes, people will continue to stare, & when she's older, people will start asking her stupidass questions like "what are you?", or "were you adopted?". For the most part, I don't think people have ill intentions at all, they're just curious. I don't know WHY they're curious, but they are. I'm biracial too, & I've dealt with this same stuff all my life, the stares, the questions, the complete strangers that think it's ok to run their fingers through my hair, ect. It is annoying, but try not to let it frustrate you too much. That's why you'd call these folks IGNORANT, most of the time they don't even know they're being rude as hell.
Yep, "what are you?" I get that question to this day!

Virginia Beach, VA

#13 Oct 1, 2007
I also have twin boys, one of which has all my biracial features, dirty blonde hair (which actually he got from my mom's side of the family...my hair's black), hazel eyes, light skin, ect., & our other boy has chocolate skin like their dad, & my black hair. They both have afrocentric facial features, but the differences in their coloring make it look like I have a white baby, & a black baby, lol!! Imagine the stares THEY get when I take them out. Trust me, you're not alone boo.

East Aurora, NY

#14 Oct 1, 2007
neutralove wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree and i am aware there will be amny more years to come of this. BUT CAN YOU RUDE PEOPLE WHO DO THIS TRY TO HIDE IT A LITTLE BETTER! Everyone stares at something or someone at some point or another but if I see another mixed kid, I do look, but I look at their differences, beautiful as they all are. But I don't just stare, If I find myself doing it, I realize that I always have a smile on my face, not a rude nug. Is it just because we're part of this little club, us mixed families? My heart just doesn't care what you are but who you are? This is weird, I feel like I'm being dramatic or just ranting. I would love for someone to look at us and smile, the only ones who do it are the ones in "the club."

East Aurora, NY

#15 Oct 1, 2007
I meant by "you rude people" as the ones who stare and stare and stare or have a disgusted look on their face.

East Aurora, NY

#17 Oct 1, 2007
neutralove wrote:
I also have twin boys, one of which has all my biracial features, dirty blonde hair (which actually he got from my mom's side of the family...my hair's black), hazel eyes, light skin, ect., & our other boy has chocolate skin like their dad, & my black hair. They both have afrocentric facial features, but the differences in their coloring make it look like I have a white baby, & a black baby, lol!! Imagine the stares THEY get when I take them out. Trust me, you're not alone boo.
That's great, the best of both worlds!

They're like the baby twins in all the magazines a couple of months ago? Did you see them?

East Aurora, NY

#18 Oct 1, 2007
Robbie J wrote:
<quoted text>Yep, "what are you?" I get that question to this day!
How old are you? What do you say to them?
Sexy Dread

Washington, DC

#20 Oct 1, 2007
" typical mulatto kid."

do you know/realize how that sounds?!!!

Anyway, they stare because they have no dam manners. Ignorance can do that to people sometimes.

“reppin' dat 2up 2 down”

Since: Sep 07

Va

#21 Oct 1, 2007
OhNoNO wrote:
Maybe they were wondering if your husband was really the father of your child.She looks closely to white so they probably are trying to see her black side.I ain't going to lie to you but one day I was at work and this white woman came in with her child.Her husband/boyfriend who ever he was, was black.I looked at the child whom by the way was so cute and wondered if that was her real dad because the child looked ALL white with very lose curls.I saw a white man standing in front of them looking at the toddler too.I don't know , maybe Ive been watching too much Maury Povich."You are not not Father!'

“reppin' dat 2up 2 down”

Since: Sep 07

Va

#23 Oct 1, 2007
HAZEL wrote:
That word is so played out.People get on my nerves when they call light skinned/mixed women exotic looking.Any shade from high yellow to blue black can be "exotic" looking.You don't have to be light skinned just to be that.
MDJ

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#24 Oct 1, 2007
OhNoNO wrote:
<quoted text>
Your honesty is appreciated. You may just be caught up in the stereotypes like soo many others. I get the feeling that your stares would not be in hate though.
Hate? Definitely, not! The babies/children really are beautiful. It's really hard not to stare.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 40
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Incognito4Ever 1,382,536
`There is No Such Thing as a "Light Skinned Bla... (Jan '15) 4 min lambao 23
News CDC: Southerners' 'Racism' And 'Homophobia' Cau... 27 min Three Rounds 31
Asians are SMARTER than both Blacks and Whites 37 min Spotted Girl 280
News Protest planned in support of valedictorian nota 45 min Drilling for the ... 2
Do Whiteys Force Non-whites to Migrate to their... (Oct '15) 47 min El Guapo 7
What music are you listening to right now? (Sep '08) 1 hr Drilling for the ... 35,001
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 1 hr IT IS I 134,148
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 2 hr IT IS I 44,756
Poll Do Racists Belong In Mental Institutions 2 hr iamcuriousnow 134
Whites Are Not To Blame For Your Problems 2 hr Looking On 63
Trump taking about deporting illegal immigrants 3 hr Sicklecell Supporter 40
More from around the web