Puerto Rican cooking

Sinajuavi
Level 6

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#2 Sep 17, 2013
Neither coriander nor celery are indigenous, you moron. Those are European plants.

Domesticated crop plants in America nearly all originated in Mexico, with few exceptions, such as the strawberry and sunflower from what is now the USA.

The extensive complex of Mexican cuisine is one of the greatest in the world.

Of course all civilization in North America traces back to Mexico.
Chingandometumad re

Harrisburg, PA

#3 Sep 18, 2013
Drinks

Finish your meal with strong, black, aromatic Puerto Rican coffee, which has been produced in the island's high-altitude interior for more than 300 years. Originally imported from the nearby Dominican Republic, coffee is still among the island's exports and is a suitable ending for any well-presented meal.

Because the island does not produce wine, it is entirely proper to order a cold beer before even looking at the menu. Beer, of course, is called cerveza throughout the Spanish-speaking world, the most popular brand on Puerto Rico is Medalla.

Rum is the national drink, and you can buy it in almost any shade. Puerto Rico is the world's leading rum producer; 80% of the rum consumed in the United States hails from the island.

Today's rum bears little resemblance to the raw and grainy beverage consumed by the renegades and pirates of the Spanish Main. Christopher Columbus brought sugarcane, from which rum is distilled, to the Caribbean on his second voyage to the New World, and in virtually no time it became the regional drink.

It is believed that Ponce de León introduced rum to Puerto Rico during his governorship, which began in 1508. In time, there emerged large sugarcane plantations. From Puerto Rico and other West Indian islands, rum was shipped to colonial America, where it lent itself to such popular and hair-raising 18th-century drinks as Kill-Divil and Whistle-Belly Bengance. After America became a nation, rum was largely displaced as the drink of choice by whiskey, distilled from grain grown on the American plains.

It took almost a century before the rum industry regained its former vigor. This occurred during a severe whiskey shortage at the end of the World War II. By the 1950s, sales of rum had fallen off again, as more and different kinds of liquor became available on the U.S. market. Rum had been a questionable drink because of inferior distillation methods and quality. Recognizing this problem, the Puerto Rican government drew up rigid standards for producing, blending, and aging rum. Rum factories were outfitted with the most modern and sanitary equipments, and sales figures (encouraged by aggressive marketing campaign) began to climb.

The color of rum is usually gold, amber, or white. The lightest, driest rum is white. It can easily replace gin or vodka in dozens of mixed drinks that are eminently suited for consumption in the tropics. Many Puerto Ricans make Bloody Marys with rum instead of gin or vodka. The robust flavors of the gold or amber rums make them an effective substitute for whiskey. Whit white (clear) rum, orange juice and tonic water are the most popular mixers; amber rum is often served on the rocks. Puerto Ricans are fond of mixing it with various cola drinks. Gold rums, aged between four and six years (sometimes longer) in wooden casks are called ánejos. They are considered the most flavorful and distinctive on the island rums. They are smooth; drink them straight or on the rocks.

Bacardi is the Puerto Rican rum most widely consumed in the United States. It is followed by other popular brands, including, Ronrico, Castillo, and Don Q. The ánejos rums carry such labels as Bacardi Gold Reserve, Ron del Barrilito, and Seralles' El Dorado.

Your best introduction to Puerto Rican rum making is to visit the Bacardi distillery in Cataño, just a short ferry-boat ride across the San Juan harbor.

Level 5

Since: Jul 13

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#4 Sep 18, 2013
I love puerto rican food, my favorite of course ^.^

Level 5

Since: Jul 13

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#5 Sep 18, 2013
Sinajuavi wrote:
Neither coriander nor celery are indigenous, you moron. Those are European plants.
Domesticated crop plants in America nearly all originated in Mexico, with few exceptions, such as the strawberry and sunflower from what is now the USA.
The extensive complex of Mexican cuisine is one of the greatest in the world.
Of course all civilization in North America traces back to Mexico.
Well, not everyone likes mexican dishes, I'm one of them, not that they taste bad, I just don't like it. Is everyone preference, like sushi, I love sushi, but not everyone does.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#6 Sep 18, 2013
Mary_ M wrote:
I love puerto rican food, my favorite of course ^.^
I’m very fond of pasteles and mofongo.

Level 3

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#7 Sep 18, 2013
OMG i had a puerto rican babysitter as a child and her food was the best. I always looked forward to dinner at her house she was soo sweet and her son who was much older than me was my first crush. Puerto Ricans have a certain flavor to their food that makes you eat till your stomach hurts ;)

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#8 Sep 18, 2013
Arroz con Gandules - Puerto Rican Recipe - Rice with Pig

Sinajuavi
Level 6

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#9 Sep 18, 2013
Mary_ M wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, not everyone likes mexican dishes, I'm one of them, not that they taste bad, I just don't like it. Is everyone preference, like sushi, I love sushi, but not everyone does.
Yeah, I love sushi. You should try real Mexican cuisine, not the gringo versions...

Be aware this putorican Brainiac is creating all of these threads as an attack on Mexicans. I've seen this before. When Mexicans were in the workplace, just arrived, the putoricans there started putting up their flags, talking about Puerto Rico constantly. It had nothing to do with Puerto Rico, it was about their own low self-esteem and insecurity.

F that.¡VIVA MÉXICO!
Jax

Brooklyn, NY

#10 Sep 18, 2013
Ox tail stew. Is that PR or Cuban?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Joy 1,642,758
I feel like I can't be with a white guy if he's... 8 min LMR 2
Is it ignorance and stupidity to say leave slav... 10 min Porter 4
Why do black girls get with white guys? 19 min KIP 95
Robert Mueller reportedly giving up on the coll... 28 min THX Whip Cracker 10
Why do you black people hate all white people? (Jan '17) 29 min DieofCancerwhites 128
Who was going to stop slavery? 29 min MASTER WHITE 5
Why do people say racist white guys have sex wi... 1 hr Dixieeland 74
Everyday I thank the Lord I am Black!! 3 hr bluestreak returns 325
Why is the media pushing interracial relationsh... (Sep '14) 3 hr Dixieeland 839
I need proof that the Ancient Egyptians Were No... (Oct '07) 6 hr dreamhunk 36,488
More from around the web