I feel ugly because i am dark skin.

Posted in the African-American Forum

First Prev
of 17
Next Last
dark girl

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Apr 10, 2011
Hey evryone i just wanted to say that i am a girl in college, and i feel so ugly like i want to commit suicide. i feel so gloomy inside. I wish that i was beautiful light skin with straighter hair. I am 20 and my mom and dad are very afrocentric they will kill me if i get a perm. my grandad was in the black panther party (the old one) he used to rally all over harlem. thats how afrocentric my family is. my dad is dark skin and my mom even darker. And I am dark skin as well. I wish my family would understand i am tired of using the flat iron and getting domincan blow outs.

I wanted eye contacts to make me a little more exotic like a dark brown hazelish color, not a blue or anything. but the thing is I have perfect vision so my family would be wondering why i bought them.

they dont understand how its like to be a dark skin girl in 2011 all the guys want someone lighter and more exotic, it doesnt matter if they are ghetto or whores. I feel so ugly and to top it off god didnt evn give me a bria myles body or a buffy the body body. Im just built like every other girl, a little thin though. so I get no attention at all, even at the HBCU I attend.

i just want to kill myself and ger reincarnated into a beautiful light skin girl with light colored eyes and long hair, so i could feel more wanted. so I would a better chance at marrying a sucessful black man, a lawyer doctor, priest, pastor, engineer, businessman.

my dad expects me to bring one of those home, but he doesnt understand I cant. all the guys doing those things are chasing after exotic women not dark skin black girls. i feel like I am a great disapointment to my entire family.

“me! chee hoo! LOL!”

Level 6

Since: Oct 09

Lower Hutt, New Zealand

#2 Apr 10, 2011
dark girl wrote:
Hey evryone i just wanted to say that i am a girl in college, and i feel so ugly like i want to commit suicide. i feel so gloomy inside. I wish that i was beautiful light skin with straighter hair. I am 20 and my mom and dad are very afrocentric they will kill me if i get a perm. my grandad was in the black panther party (the old one) he used to rally all over harlem. thats how afrocentric my family is. my dad is dark skin and my mom even darker. And I am dark skin as well. I wish my family would understand i am tired of using the flat iron and getting domincan blow outs.
I wanted eye contacts to make me a little more exotic like a dark brown hazelish color, not a blue or anything. but the thing is I have perfect vision so my family would be wondering why i bought them.
they dont understand how its like to be a dark skin girl in 2011 all the guys want someone lighter and more exotic, it doesnt matter if they are ghetto or whores. I feel so ugly and to top it off god didnt evn give me a bria myles body or a buffy the body body. Im just built like every other girl, a little thin though. so I get no attention at all, even at the HBCU I attend.
i just want to kill myself and ger reincarnated into a beautiful light skin girl with light colored eyes and long hair, so i could feel more wanted. so I would a better chance at marrying a sucessful black man, a lawyer doctor, priest, pastor, engineer, businessman.
my dad expects me to bring one of those home, but he doesnt understand I cant. all the guys doing those things are chasing after exotic women not dark skin black girls. i feel like I am a great disapointment to my entire family.
post a pic so I know you not lying???

And what guy you desiring??? cause if he white then don't bother posting here majority of them will only feed your insecurity's go to a proper forum little lady
Carmiana

United States

#3 Apr 10, 2011
dark girl wrote:
You are young and have plenty of time to fall inlove with the right guy. You dont need to be chased around by a whole bunch of men who only want to have sex any way and have no intentions of marrying. Just because a man marries a woman because of the way she looks doesn't mean that they are happily married. Men are superficial like that are narcissistic. So it's better you stay away from men like that. They are very destructive to their selves and everyone else around them.

Light skin ain't everything, and I am saying this to you as a light skinned black woman. Skin color doesn't bring you happiness, being confident and humble will do that and so much more.

Don't consider suicide becuase of your skin color. Just because there aren't a whole bunch of men chasing after you doesn't mean that no man will fall inlove with you and want to marry you. Being successful doesn't mean being a doctor, lawyer, pries, or any other thing you listed. Just as long as the man is inlove with you and treats you well because he is inlove with you, then his occupation is not going to be important or even play a big role in your lives. So long as the occupation isn't detrimental to you as a person or himself.

Just remember, if God didn't create dark skinned people, then the rainbow would be incomplete.
Truthful

Los Angeles, CA

#4 Apr 10, 2011
dark girl wrote:
You're so transparent that I can actually see the shyt floating in your body. That's what the darkness is.
baadindyan

Gainesville, FL

#6 Apr 10, 2011
get with some african foreign student, ur father will be happy
Bellywarmers

York, PA

#7 Apr 10, 2011
dark girl wrote:
Nice story. You get a grade of a D+.

“I'm out hunting”

Level 8

Since: Jan 10

For your mind and soul

#8 Apr 10, 2011
dark girl wrote:
Attractive darkskin girls
http://www.google.com/imgres...
Barros Serrano

Silver City, NM

#9 Apr 10, 2011
Yeah, this sounds fake, designed to start some $hit on Topix... however, the issue is real.

I was teaching 4th grade. A girl in the class, very dark, black, drew with crayons a self-portrait. It was lightskinned, with light eyes and sandy hair.

I asked her, is that you? Yes. Doesn't really look like you...

She responded, "that's how I see myself. I want to be pretty. I can't be pretty so dark." I assured her that was not true, that she was quite pretty and in a few years I'm sure the boys will think so too, and so on...

She just frowned at me.

That was a disturbing moment, and I am aware that it was not a rare one in the USA, unfortunately.

It is true the media needs to stop putting forth a "white" standard of beauty all the time. And it is troubling that so many rappers also think beauty is only to be found in very lightskinned blacks, Asians or latinas.

I could tell more anecdotes of disturbing racial thoughts I've heard from children in school...

this society is indeed a bit SICK
Simon

United States

#10 Apr 10, 2011
Barros Serrano wrote:
Yeah, this sounds fake, designed to start some $hit on Topix... however, the issue is real.
I was teaching 4th grade. A girl in the class, very dark, black, drew with crayons a self-portrait. It was lightskinned, with light eyes and sandy hair.
She responded, "that's how I see myself. I want to be pretty. I can't be pretty so dark." I assured her that was not true, that she was quite pretty and in a few years I'm sure the boys will think so too, and so on...
She just frowned at me.
That was a disturbing moment, and I am aware that it was not a rare one in the USA, unfortunately.
It is true the media needs to stop putting forth a "white" standard of beauty all the time. And it is troubling that so many rappers also think beauty is only to be found in very lightskinned blacks, Asians or latinas.
I could tell more anecdotes of disturbing racial thoughts I've heard from children in school...
How about?.... I am ashamed to feel Jewish.

You get many of those, azzwipe?

Hehehehe
Black Verdict

Crest Hill, IL

#11 Apr 10, 2011
dark girl wrote:
You feel ugly because you are, as long as you see the world and your future happiness through looks then you are ugly and no differentthan the people judging you.

On the other hand, this happens in ever culture or ethnicity. Due to the standard of beauty of that ethnic group, culture or society. This is not your fault, but you have to deal with it. I wot say keep your mind on education or a good guy will come along, this is not what you were created to do. I went for a hot minute to a HBCU, and I know the deal. I went to all black schools, and I know the deal there as well. It is the same for men in many cases, average darker men. I have a sister, I know you are a woman and want to be attractive to men you are in the mirror everyday of your life. You want to be attractive, you want to feel attractive and special because you are. But at the same time, what do you think is attractive and are you attracted to lighter men etc or think they are more handsome than darker. If you are, then again, you should be able to answe your own question. Maybe the guys that like you arent the guys you want, you want a Caddy but you look like a Kia Station Wagon. Plenty of others honk their horn at you, but you don't roll the window down for them. I think you maybe a victim of your own thoughts. IMO
Truthful

Los Angeles, CA

#12 Apr 10, 2011
Barros Serrano wrote:
She just frowned at me.
Wow that is sad indeed. And probably something she heard from an adult in her life. WTH are people thinking when they say these foolish things in front of their children or to them.
Midnight Sun

United States

#13 Apr 10, 2011
dark girl wrote:
Well Black girl, if your self esteem is that low. Go ahead. Jump off dam bridge. That or quit this bull shyt way of thinking and get with the program.

Beauty is a state of mind more than anything else. A lot of what the media is selling as beauty has nothing to do with beauty. Go to Barbados where you will see more people like you on the commercials. I hope you don't have kids, cause you are messed up in the head.

Dr. Truth
dark girl

Brooklyn, NY

#14 Apr 10, 2011
baadindyan wrote:
get with some african foreign student, ur father will be happy
the african guys in my class are not too foriegn and have lived in america for a while so they chase after the same thing all the other black guys chase light skin girls.
dark girl

Brooklyn, NY

#15 Apr 10, 2011
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Attractive darkskin girls
i am a little darker than they are. but thanks anyways
Black Verdict

Crest Hill, IL

#17 Apr 10, 2011
dark girl wrote:
<quoted text>
the african guys in my class are not too foriegn and have lived in america for a while so they chase after the same thing all the other black guys chase light skin girls.
Trust I know how you feel, my sister is tall, dark and skinny. She went through your phase as well. She would ask us is she pretty, cause she would see my brothers with them big booty yella gals. And the boys at her schools did not like her much as well. Only outcast whiteboys and foreigners. But she wanted to be attracted to BM. She was confused for a long time, and the same BM who dated her, would get googl eyed when one of the light skinned entertainers were on tv or something. But all I can say to you is that your confidence and self esteem goes a long way. Men will insult you or your flaws when they are upset, its all they can say. Don't let that bother you if it happens. But most so called attractive women are not married that I have noticed. They are confused as well. Your okay, but everyone you think is attractive or may be attractive to you, you may not be to them. I think Kerry Hilson is prettier than Beyonce, my brother thinks different. I thought Thelma from good times was hotter than Halle Barry. I might think you are sexier than the women you talk about, however, you may not be attracted to me. Beyonce might be attract to me, but not Thelma, she might like guys with long hair etc. You pick of other BM may not be as big a some redbone with pretty hair, but you do have one. You just may not realize it because you are subconsciously trying to compete with other women for favor. But you don't have to.

“me! chee hoo! LOL!”

Level 6

Lower Hutt, New Zealand

#18 Apr 10, 2011
dark girl wrote:
<quoted text>
You not kidding are you??? we'll I've been here long enough just to let you know don't worry

Every guys different I'm not attracted to the foul mouthed hood rats but I am attracted to the geeky libarian girl! thing is they not into me. they like a middle class we'll educated man who they can show off to mum and dad! and the middle class we'll educated man is attracted to the foul mouthed hoodrat like yourself

your time will come pray hope and don't worry

“me! chee hoo! LOL!”

Level 6

Lower Hutt, New Zealand

#19 Apr 10, 2011
dark girl wrote:
<quoted text>
If it makes you feel better I reckon not only is Alek Wek is the face of AA/African woman but she is the most beautiful woman on earth!

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#20 Apr 10, 2011
Im not gonna say this a troll post cause alot of young dark skinned male/females feel this way deep down. Not all but MOST

Not all light people are good looking just sayin. Love yourself first. You only wanna be light skinned cause of black men lusting after them?? Men are men, they lust after everything. Light dar doesnt matter Pu**y is Pu**y to them and just for future reference Alot of those so called men you feel as tho put lighter on a higher pedestal dont even love themselves. There just like you Girl.

Just sayin

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#21 Apr 10, 2011
There are alot of beautiful brown skinned girls that get just as much attention.
FANTI1977A

Merrillville, IN

#22 Apr 10, 2011
dark girl wrote:
Please do not feel this way about yourself you probably are a beautiful girl, but being african american and living in america you have been made to feel less than worthy. Don't you know the history of your own race in this country? It started in slavery whites always portrayed blacks as ugly and unappealing. Those guys you are talking about as always wanting lighter and exotic women they have been duped into thinking that lighter skinned black women are THE GREATEST. It is not about finding love for them it's one big EGO TRIP. The past 400 years of blacks living in America has made a psychological mess of our race I do wish parents would sit down and read Black History to thier children and teach them to be PROUD OF THEIR AFRICAN ROOTS AND TEACH THEM NOT TO BE ASHAMED OF THEIR DARK SKIN, WIDE NOSES AND FULL LIPS WE ARE BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE HOW LONG WILL WE CONTINUE TO LET WHITES DICTATE WHAT TRUE BLACK BEAUTY STANDARDS ARE. THE RACIST WHITES ARE THE REASON YOU FEEL THE WAY YOU DO ABOUT YOURSELF, WHY DON'T YOU FIND A GOOD BLACK PSYCHOLOGIST AND TALK TO HER OR HIM ABOUT THE SELF IMAGE YOU HAVE ABOUT YOURSELF. AND ALL THOSE DAMN BLACK GUYS WHO LIVE TO HAVE A LIGHT SKIN CHICK ON THEIR ARMS NEED TO BE COMMITTED TO A MENTAL HOSPITAL THEY FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO NEST GENERATIONS AGO.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 17
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wall street founded on slavery 4 min coretta 4
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min USAsince1680 1,219,989
White Languages to be Banned in Africa ? 5 min hackney 447
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 8 min Undisputed Facts 116,650
Why the American Black will be extinct by the e... 8 min truth 6
Italians are NOT White!!!! (Feb '12) 10 min jmontognese 5,461
In Match.com, 98% of WW is looking for WM ONLY (Jan '13) 15 min Harrisson 263
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 16 min Ingwe Temujin 32,774
News 5 Reasons The American Dream Is Eluding Black P... 28 min SadButTrue 361
Black Women Stop Befriending White Women 52 min SadButTrue 95
All women prefer white men 2 hr SadButTrue 4,323
More from around the web