"Africans sold their own to slavery"

Posted in the African-American Forum

Since: Jun 14

Downey, CA

#1 Aug 13, 2014
I've always been perplexed at this stock argument when I have discussions with whites (and others) regarding the history of slavery. I think what perplexes me is that when whites and other non-whites use this argument, the phrase "well Africans sold their own people into slavery too" is meant to (in my opinion) balance out the evil perpetrated by the early settlers of the 13 colonies. By highlighting that a particular culture sold "their own" to slave traders is an attempt to mitigate the evil history behind slavery and to spread blame. But this thread is an attempt to dispel some of the myths about the aforementioned phrase. The following list sums up this thread:

1) "Africa was not a country. Africans were not selling “their own”, they were selling their enemies, just as the Greeks and Romans once did. Africa, then as now, was made up of different countries. They were no more selling “their own” than, say,“Europeans” were killing “their own” during the Holocaust."

I find this pertinent because when people speak of Africa, remember you're speaking on an entire continent not a country, and so in order to speak about slavery in Africa, one would have to pinpoint a specific country within Africa to discuss slavery.

2) "Most African countries did not sell slaves and some even fought against it. But because Europeans back then could control the supply of guns there was little Africans could do to stop it."

3) "The Transatlantic slave trade was on a much greater scale than anything the Africans or anyone else ever did in the history of slavery. Countries were destroyed and millions died. Over 12 million were sold in less than 400 years, something so huge that it changed the genetic map of the world."

4) "The Transatlantic slave trade was racist. The African slave trade, for all of its other ills, was not that. Neither was the Greek and Roman slave trade. So slavery in places like Haiti, Barbados and America was much more cruel."

The author of this list brings up a good point using the moral point of view:

"It uses what I call the Arab Trader argument: it excuses an evil of one’s own past by finding the same sort of evil done by others. Whites sold slaves, but Africans and Arab traders did too! Which, morally speaking, is at the same level as an eight-year-old saying,“He did it too!” when caught doing something bad. We do not accept this argument from eight-year-olds, nor from bank robbers or wife beaters.“Africans did it too!” is no better."

"But it is as a derailing argument that it comes into its own:

Its main purpose is to draw attention away from what whites did by turning the tables. That part of their past makes White Americans uncomfortable. But instead of facing up to it, they have built up defences against it:

Africans sold their own people as slaves.
Africans are still selling slaves.
Arab traders sold slaves too.
Slavery goes back thousands of years.
All races have practised slavery.
Whites stopped slavery.
My family never owned slaves.
That was Ancient History.
You are living in the past.
Get over it!
It was the times.
Slavery did not make economic sense.
Whites got to where they are by their own hard work
Blacks are better off in America than in Africa
Africans were savages."

See:http://abagond.wordpress.c om/2010/09/22/africans-sold-th eir-own-people-as-slaves/
Drilling for the nerve

Rochester, NY

#2 Aug 13, 2014
It would be far more accurate to say African Chieftains bartered blacks into slavery in exchange for beads, trinkets, and other shiny objects, which would pretty much flush your entire argument down the toilet.

On a related note, blacks' weakness for shiny objects can still be seen today in their attraction to gold grills, spinners, and chrome-plated rims.

Hope this helps to clear up your jaw-dropping confusion and best of luck in your copy \ paste career.

Regards,
DFTN

Level 8

Since: Aug 09

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Aug 13, 2014
EvilGenius3 wrote:
Whites stopped slavery.See:http://abagond.wor dpress.com/2010/09/22/africans -sold-their-own-people-as-slav es/
Whites never stopped slavery. Today, there is just as much, if not more, white slavery than there is African slavery. Virtually very white woman is a slave at some point in her life.

“Jesus loves you all!”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#4 Aug 13, 2014
EvilGenius3 wrote:
I've always been perplexed at this stock argument when I have discussions with whites (and others) regarding the history of slavery. I think what perplexes me is that when whites and other non-whites use this argument, the phrase "well Africans sold their own people into slavery too" is meant to (in my opinion) balance out the evil perpetrated by the early settlers of the 13 colonies. By highlighting that a particular culture sold "their own" to slave traders is an attempt to mitigate the evil history behind slavery and to spread blame. But this thread is an attempt to dispel some of the myths about the aforementioned phrase. The following list sums up this thread:

1) "Africa was not a country. Africans were not selling “their own”, they were selling their enemies, just as the Greeks and Romans once did. Africa, then as now, was made up of different countries. They were no more selling “their own” than, say,“Europeans” were killing “their own” during the Holocaust."

I find this pertinent because when people speak of Africa, remember you're speaking on an entire continent not a country, and so in order to speak about slavery in Africa, one would have to pinpoint a specific country within Africa to discuss slavery.

2) "Most African countries did not sell slaves and some even fought against it. But because Europeans back then could control the supply of guns there was little Africans could do to stop it."

3) "The Transatlantic slave trade was on a much greater scale than anything the Africans or anyone else ever did in the history of slavery. Countries were destroyed and millions died. Over 12 million were sold in less than 400 years, something so huge that it changed the genetic map of the world."

4) "The Transatlantic slave trade was racist. The African slave trade, for all of its other ills, was not that. Neither was the Greek and Roman slave trade. So slavery in places like Haiti, Barbados and America was much more cruel."

The author of this list brings up a good point using the moral point of view:

"It uses what I call the Arab Trader argument: it excuses an evil of one’s own past by finding the same sort of evil done by others. Whites sold slaves, but Africans and Arab traders did too! Which, morally speaking, is at the same level as an eight-year-old saying,“He did it too!” when caught doing something bad. We do not accept this argument from eight-year-olds, nor from bank robbers or wife beaters.“Africans did it too!” is no better."

"But it is as a derailing argument that it comes into its own:

Its main purpose is to draw attention away from what whites did by turning the tables. That part of their past makes White Americans uncomfortable. But instead of facing up to it, they have built up defences against it:

Africans sold their own people as slaves.
Africans are still selling slaves.
Arab traders sold slaves too.
Slavery goes back thousands of years.
All races have practised slavery.
Whites stopped slavery.
My family never owned slaves.
That was Ancient History.
You are living in the past.
Get over it!
It was the times.
Slavery did not make economic sense.
Whites got to where they are by their own hard work
Blacks are better off in America than in Africa
Africans were savages."

See:http://abagond.wordpress.c om/2010/09/22/africans-sold-th eir-own-people-as-slaves/
Slavery has not been eradicated and is occurring all over different parts of the world in this present age.

Level 8

Since: Aug 09

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Aug 13, 2014
And C wrote:
so basically what you are saying is that africans from almost every single nation sold their own people. perhaps i guess they are the ones killed billions of black people who was defending the people of the land and whites didnt do nothing. go tell that to somebody who is all the way stupid.
america has the most female sex slaves than almost anywhere else in the world. russia is has the next biggest amount of female sex slaves. white americans forces females to participate in online sex for money and on the streets for money.
a lot of white americans also loves to have sex with the smallest least developed females, can somebody say chinese women?
since chinese women are the smallest and least developed women on earth white males loves them just like their own kids.
It is an insult to say Chinese women are "underdeveloped" just because they are not fat and sloppy like your women.

Level 8

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#7 Aug 13, 2014
Abdurratln wrote:
<quoted text>
It is an insult to say Chinese women are "underdeveloped" just because they are not fat and sloppy like your women.
Please! Many Asian women are little and flat like young boys but whatever gets you through night,LOL!
Citizen 1986

UK

#8 Aug 13, 2014
So did England the first slaves in America were the Irish and trust me they had worse treatment than the African slaves. Most of the people in Europe were slaves to the rich and had a worst lifestyle. Slavery has always been around but the American slave trade was the worst they turned humans to lifestock. But what do you expect they always treated their commoners as rubbish.

“Jesus loves you all!”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#9 Aug 13, 2014
Citizen 1986 wrote:
So did England the first slaves in America were the Irish and trust me they had worse treatment than the African slaves. Most of the people in Europe were slaves to the rich and had a worst lifestyle. Slavery has always been around but the American slave trade was the worst they turned humans to lifestock. But what do you expect they always treated their commoners as rubbish.
Feudalism has not been eradicated. It's alive and very much thriving.

Level 8

Since: Aug 09

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Aug 13, 2014
Asian women are generally prettier than white women. And they are firmer than black women. To be honest, I think Asian women are the most attractive: http://photobucket.com/images/pakistani%20wom...

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#12 Aug 13, 2014
Capree wrote:
<quoted text>
Please! Many Asian women are little and flat like young boys but whatever gets you through night,LOL!
Yeah but WM that you love prefer them to BW. I think Asian women look very feminine but I must ask why do you like men who look boyish looking women?
Bigsmoke

London, UK

#13 Aug 13, 2014
Oliver Canterberry wrote:
Africans don't view other Blacks as brothers.
You only have to look to Rwanda where in 1994 from April to July one million people died in Black on Black violence, 20% of the entire population and 70% of the Tutsi people.
This sort of Black on Black violence is normal so slavery is no surprise given the Black anti-Judeo-Christian mentality.
Europeans don't view other Whites as brothers.

You only have to look to Nazi Europe where between the years 1939 - 1945 over thirty million people died in White on White violence, 16% of the entire Polish population, 14% of modern Lithuania, 12% of modern Latvia, 12% of modern Russia, 10% of Germany, 90% Baltic Jews, 90% of Polish Jews, 85% of German Jews, 80% of Slovakian Jews, 75% of Greek Jews etc.

This sort of White on White violence is normal so slavery is no surprise given the White Judeo-Chrisian mentality.

Since: Jun 14

Downey, CA

#14 Aug 16, 2014
And C wrote:
so basically what you are saying is that africans from almost every single nation sold their own people. perhaps i guess they are the ones killed billions of black people who was defending the people of the land and whites didnt do nothing. go tell that to somebody who is all the way stupid.
america has the most female sex slaves than almost anywhere else in the world. russia is has the next biggest amount of female sex slaves. white americans forces females to participate in online sex for money and on the streets for money.
a lot of white americans also loves to have sex with the smallest least developed females, can somebody say chinese women?
since chinese women are the smallest and least developed women on earth white males loves them just like their own kids.
Actually no I'm not saying that...Did you care to read?

Level 8

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#15 Aug 16, 2014
sassyntrashy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah but WM that you love prefer them to BW. I think Asian women look very feminine but I must ask why do you like men who look boyish looking women?
Who say they prefer Asian women to black women? There is a difference between women handing themselves gift wrapped to men and women who refuse to date those men. Naturally you will see men with more of the women they can easily get than the women who often will not date them at all. You forget black women like myself and a few others here who are open to IR dating/relationships and marriages are still in the minority and the majority of black women, though seeing ir as being less taboo and finding more non-black men attractive, are still pro-bm black women. Men who look like boyish women, like who??? I like men with handsome chiseled features and not men who look like hardened criminal Neanderthals, that's all.

http://wallalay.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/0...

http://kendrickbrinson.com/wp-content/uploads...

“We Are Infinite~”

Since: Jul 14

Richmond VA

#16 Aug 18, 2014
Absolutely right

“Reality is merely an illusion”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#17 Aug 18, 2014
Its not a stock argument its a fact. Its also a fact that the Moors enslaved Whites, you just don't see Whitey using that as an excuse for failure or crying about it in 2014 like Blacks do.

“Reality is merely an illusion”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#18 Aug 18, 2014
sassyntrashy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah but WM that you love prefer them to BW. I think Asian women look very feminine but I must ask why do you like men who look boyish looking women?
They are not boyish looking, they are thinner because of their diets and genetics. I prefer a curvier women myself, but if i had to choose between an obese lazy American women or a hard working slim Asian women, id probably choose the Asian.
liar spotter

UK

#19 Aug 18, 2014
The bullshyt argument that blacks sold their own into slavery largely false with the exception a few instances. This is nothing more than an attempt by whites to scapegoat responsibility for the murder and mistreatment of millions of black people.

Anybody who's stupid enough to fall for this bullshyt is a fool.

What's next losers? You're not responsible for how those people were treated on your soil? Not responsible for the beatings, rapes, murders, lynchings? Are you? How about the horrible and unfair treatment that continued long after you pretended to end slavery yet still treated black people like animals? How about that? Your fault?

Did black people sell each other into Jim Crow laws too?

Do me a favor and shut the fk up!

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#20 Aug 18, 2014
Matthew_1 wrote:
<quoted text>
They are not boyish looking, they are thinner because of their diets and genetics. I prefer a curvier women myself, but if i had to choose between an obese lazy American women or a hard working slim Asian women, id probably choose the Asian.
I agree Asian women do look like women. I don't know why people say they look like boys.
X-TREME BIAS

San Jose, CA

#21 Aug 18, 2014
The OP is a bold face lying negroe, the plate lipped, bone in the nose African darkys didn't sell our forefathers anything, our forefathers just took what they wanted, they spotted land, dropped anchor, raided the tribal lands & what they didn't kill or run into the jungles, they crated up & shipped back to America to serve their every whim upon the threat of death by hanging or worse, burning alive at the stake, those are the facts of the case.

Since: Jun 14

Downey, CA

#23 Aug 20, 2014
X-TREME BIAS wrote:
The OP is a bold face lying negroe, the plate lipped, bone in the nose African darkys didn't sell our forefathers anything, our forefathers just took what they wanted, they spotted land, dropped anchor, raided the tribal lands & what they didn't kill or run into the jungles, they crated up & shipped back to America to serve their every whim upon the threat of death by hanging or worse, burning alive at the stake, those are the facts of the case.
Please troll more

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why don't blacks solve their problems instead o... 1 min trish_b 99
Why shouldn't Blacks separate TOTALLY from Whites? 2 min Drilling for the ... 30
White People What Are You Proud Of ? 2 min Sir Jethro 3
News Confessions of a black atheist 3 min MaisieD 51
i'm a white racist and married to a black woman 9 min SadButTrue 6
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 10 min African AE 112,815
News Society's Fear Of Black Men And Its Consequences 13 min SadButTrue 2
Why Whites can use the "N" word 57 min UruEuWauWau 77
A Bunch of Happy Black Women with Smiles on the... 1 hr blackFlower 44
What the hell is going on with black men? 2 hr Sadbuttrue 53
Are white women attracted to black men? (Aug '06) 3 hr Tyrone 122,894
More from around the web