Black Executive Says BP Fired Her For...

Black Executive Says BP Fired Her For Wearing 'Ethnic Clothing And Ethnic Hairstyles'

There are 140 comments on the ThinkProgress story from Dec 7, 2013, titled Black Executive Says BP Fired Her For Wearing 'Ethnic Clothing And Ethnic Hairstyles'. In it, ThinkProgress reports that:

A black woman says she was fired from British Petroleum for wearing a dashiki and for wearing her hair in braids.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ThinkProgress.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Spotted Girl

“The Spotted Girl News Network”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

#1 Dec 7, 2013
That's not right!
Drilling for the nerve

Batavia, NY

#2 Dec 7, 2013
Maybe British Petroleum has a corporate dress code and she felt it didn't apply to her.

Since: Jan 09

Central NJ

#3 Dec 7, 2013
Well, after all, she's black! You Racist!
Regards, Terri
Drilling for the nerve wrote:
Maybe British Petroleum has a corporate dress code and she felt it didn't apply to her.
The Enemy Within

Vienna, VA

#5 Dec 7, 2013
Smh... If you would tell an Indian or Afghan what they can wear then I supposed you might used a good paying job to white wash others too.

Can't put food on your families table unless you use white standards. Pure menace to humane kind.
EASY MONEY

Bangkok, Thailand

#6 Dec 7, 2013
The Enemy Within wrote:
Smh... If you would tell an Indian or Afghan what they can wear then I supposed you might used a good paying job to white wash others too.
Can't put food on your families table unless you use white standards. Pure menace to humane kind.
That correct, white is right, and black, well you know the rest. For some reason blacks just can't get with any normal program, they always want to draw attention to themselves as if being black wasn't enough negitive attention already. Want your hair corn rowed, want to play at being in the jungle, well, get your tired AZZ to Africa.

APV

“You were saying about bp aging”

Level 3

Since: Apr 08

still busy trolling??

#7 Dec 7, 2013
Unless there was something in their handbook about not wearing Dashki they have no right to dismiss her for wearing ethnic clothing or hair. I bet this will get settle out of court because BP does not have a strong case.
The Enemy Within

Vienna, VA

#8 Dec 7, 2013
EASY MONEY wrote:
<quoted text>
That correct, white is right, and black, well you know the rest. For some reason blacks just can't get with any normal program, they always want to draw attention to themselves as if being black wasn't enough negitive attention already. Want your hair corn rowed, want to play at being in the jungle, well, get your tired AZZ to Africa.
You need a code that prevents you pigglets from dry humping everything in a skirt that works in an office. Try being civilized in that regard before you start trying to sound off as some higher being.

Spotted Girl

Level 8

Spotted World

#9 Dec 7, 2013
Dr Bumthrust wrote:
so now blacks are exempt from dress codes? and wht the hell is a dashki? Were her tits hanging out and was her hair coated in coe crap?
A photo of one is in the article. It doesn't look too different from an ordinary shirt. It just has traditional patterns.

There were no dress codes preventing this, but from reading the article, there were double standards and all. It wasn't against the rules, just specifically against the adlibbed rules they made up for her because others chose to be "uncomfortable" and "offended." Why weren't they fired for being racists or for reacting in an unprofessional manner?

Spotted Girl

Level 8

Spotted World

#10 Dec 7, 2013
The Enemy Within wrote:
<quoted text>
You need a code that prevents you pigglets from dry humping everything in a skirt that works in an office. Try being civilized in that regard before you start trying to sound off as some higher being.
That is not a race matter, but a gender matter. Look at the Islamic men. They have to hide the women from the men. But they should be holding their men responsible for their own feelings and actions.
Blacks Are Worthless

Miami, FL

#11 Dec 7, 2013
Is this the female Zulu native African native female who came to work with dinner plates in her big black lips salivating all over peoples desk & paperwork wearing a dirty funky old sheet covering her unwashed rank carcass who was squatting to pee on the floor in the employee breakroom? With all these successful black enterprises spread all over America, why didn't she seek employment with her own kind?
The Enemy Within

Vienna, VA

#12 Dec 7, 2013
Blacks Are Worthless wrote:
Is this the female Zulu native African native female who came to work with dinner plates in her big black lips salivating all over peoples desk & paperwork wearing a dirty funky old sheet covering her unwashed rank carcass who was squatting to pee on the floor in the employee breakroom? With all these successful black enterprises spread all over America, why didn't she seek employment with her own kind?
With all the loyalty Africans show towards you whites. And this is how you talk about them behind their backs? Hmmmm...

They whorship the ground you walk on and would kill off African Americans for your approval and you describe them like this huh???

The wonders of this world.
Klaus666

Barrie, Canada

#13 Dec 7, 2013
Happy riddance to the vile [email protected]@py headed affirmative action sheboon.
pual

Bridgwater, UK

#14 Dec 8, 2013
That's discrimination she should sue because i bet they wouldn't tell that to a Muslim to remove their veil.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Level 8

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#15 Dec 8, 2013
That is one thing that I hate about the corporate world. They can fire you for anything.
Drilling for the nerve

Batavia, NY

#17 Dec 8, 2013
Spotted Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
There were no dress codes preventing this, but from reading the article, there were double standards and all. It wasn't against the rules, just specifically against the adlibbed rules they made up for her because others chose to be "uncomfortable" and "offended." Why weren't they fired for being racists or for reacting in an unprofessional manner?

All corporations have dress codes.

Dress codes prevent 300 pound, women of color from wearing sun glasses, short-shorts, and glitter slippers in a corporate, professional setting.

So, yes, dress codes are racist.
The Enemy Within

Vienna, VA

#19 Dec 8, 2013
ohdavvero wrote:
I notice none of you whining crybabies are addressing the fact that this black woman was an executive at a global oil company.
How'd a black get that far in such a "racist" corporation in the first place?
Oh, wait, it's NOT a racist corporation, blacks are just lying crybabies.
We all know what happened here....the ghetto sow showed her big blackass and if it IS "racist", it proves being black MADE her unemployable.
She got that far by hiding her black pride. And "IF" I had to bet your life on it, I'd be willing to bet she started dressing this way after White MALES in her industry started talking about blacks directly or indirectly to create an intimidating atmosphere. You all do this to force BW in the corporate world to see the harsh reality behind the facade you project in the public eye. You want these women to go home and choose a side if they want to continue their careers. And after going into debt from college loans and possible raising a child a lone these women BW 99% pick to be sellouts because the other option is too bleak of a future.

It's that Fxcking simple. All these "successful" and "independent" women face this choice. And they can't find strength in numbers at the office because White companies keep a close eye on blacks that stick together. She probably got far in the company and decided she was in deep enough that she could spread her wings a bit and that's when she was identified as the enemy aka "a black person in more than just skin color" You know this. Why ask?

Since: Jan 09

Central NJ

#20 Dec 8, 2013
Anyone of us could let our ancestry hangout. Should I have gone into work wearing the green kilt of my Irish ancestors. Why not? It'd be using the same reasoning and justifications she was using.
How would it be if I started wearing the wooden clogs of my Dutch ancestors? Or the Lederhosen of my Bavarian ancestors? Though I'd much prefer a Dirndle. Maybe you can invent some reason why it's OK cause she's black and not ok for the rest of us. I'm a Transexual and you would expect me of all people to endorse her "right" to wear whatever she wanted. Wrong! I would submit to any dress code the recognizes me as a woman. No Minis? Fine! 6" heels, Fine! Too much cleavage, Not a problem! No fishnet stockings? I understand! And no wooden clogs, Kilts, dirndles, lederhosen or any other "Ethnic" fashions.
Regards, Terri
The Enemy Within wrote:
<quoted text>
She got that far by hiding her black pride. And "IF" I had to bet your life on it, I'd be willing to bet she started dressing this way after White MALES in her industry started talking about blacks directly or indirectly to create an intimidating atmosphere. You all do this to force BW in the corporate world to see the harsh reality behind the facade you project in the public eye. You want these women to go home and choose a side if they want to continue their careers. And after going into debt from college loans and possible raising a child a lone these women BW 99% pick to be sellouts because the other option is too bleak of a future.
It's that Fxcking simple. All these "successful" and "independent" women face this choice. And they can't find strength in numbers at the office because White companies keep a close eye on blacks that stick together. She probably got far in the company and decided she was in deep enough that she could spread her wings a bit and that's when she was identified as the enemy aka "a black person in more than just skin color" You know this. Why ask?

“Happiness comes through giving”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#21 Dec 8, 2013
Drilling for the nerve wrote:
Yes, she should have worn the requisite swastika.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#22 Dec 8, 2013
Klaus666 wrote:
Happy riddance to the vile [email protected]@py headed affirmative action sheboon.
You know, I tell my wife about some of the psychotic racists I come across on Topix. She thinks I'm exaggerating. I think I'll show her your contribution. Much appreciated.
Rambeaux

Newtown, PA

#23 Dec 8, 2013
I doubt that BP would tolerate a European-American wearing lederhosen and a Tyrolean hat.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min Reality Check 1,643,752
I feel like I can't be with a white guy if he's... 23 min Santiago Matamoras 121
Are Dominicans Black or Latino? (Sep '08) 24 min asset 979
Why do younger black men love older white women (Oct '11) 25 min Santiago Matamoras 81
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 1 hr Micha Ben Israel 137,317
White people stole from everyone in history wit... (Feb '12) 1 hr Santiago Matamoras 211
Do black men really have larger penises? (Sep '10) 2 hr Santiago Matamoras 1,602
Homogeneity Is The ONLY Way To MAGA 5 hr KIR SUCKA 28
Everyday I thank the Lord I am Black!! 6 hr NotSoDivineMsM 390
More from around the web