Mixed?

First Prev
of 173
Next Last

“Engaged :)”

Since: Aug 07

Brigg, UK

#1 Sep 5, 2009
I was looking at pictures of some models, and i came across one called "EKA". She's from DR and she looks black to me, but she doesn't classify herself as black.

Here's her pictures:
http://modelmayhm-4.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/09...
http://modelmayhm-4.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/08...

What d'you guys think?

“R U Still Down?”

Level 1

Since: Feb 09

Acworth, GA

#2 Sep 5, 2009
I don't know what else she would be ELG. She is obviously black. I remember when the baseball player Sammy Sosa (dominican) said he wasn't black I was like yea right he is obviously black. Some people just don't wanna admit it for some reasons ELG.
latino dominicano

Colombia

#4 Sep 5, 2009
no, we are not blacks and were never blacks
and we are tired of blacks forcing us to be what they are, we are not negros

“Big Sexy”

Since: Mar 09

Atlanta

#5 Sep 5, 2009
EastLDNgyal wrote:
I was looking at pictures of some models, and i came across one called "EKA". She's from DR and she looks black to me, but she doesn't classify herself as black.
Here's her pictures:
What d'you guys think?
Its seem when people think of black, they think of only African Americans

Dominicans have alot people with African ancestry and heritage though, whether they admit it or not, just like Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Panamanians, Columbians, etc, etc

Brigg, UK

#7 Sep 5, 2009
Brand Nubian88 wrote:
I don't know what else she would be ELG. She is obviously black. I remember when the baseball player Sammy Sosa (dominican) said he wasn't black I was like yea right he is obviously black. Some people just don't wanna admit it for some reasons ELG.
I find it funny, cos there are some DR, Cubans ETC who are darker than African Americans, Jamaicans, Bajans ETC and they say they're not black.

EKA looks straight up black to me.

Brigg, UK

#8 Sep 5, 2009
Luke Cage wrote:
<quoted text>Its seem when people think of black, they think of only African Americans
Dominicans have alot people with African ancestry and heritage though, whether they admit it or not, just like Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Panamanians, Columbians, etc, etc
Cosign...!

Level 1

Since: May 09

Washington, DC

#9 Sep 5, 2009
when i was dominican republic earlier this summer, my tour guide was of african descent. he showed everyone his I.D. and it actually said negro (the spanish pronunciation, not the redneck pronunciation). all their I.D. cards say what their heritage is, whether it african or latino.

Since: Aug 09

United States

#10 Sep 5, 2009
They're very mixed down there, but from what I've seen, their dominant gene is African; unlike Puerto Rico, which is mainly Taino/Spanish, but also has African in there, just not nearly as much as DR.

Just my opinion on that one. I've never been to either places, so I can be wrong to a degree on this, but again, it's just what I've seen from my point of view.

Caribbean nations and territories are very mixed due to the history of colonial slavery. I'd not say one of those nations or territories down there are totally one color or another. Of course being majority of a certain color is another subject, but again, all of them are certainly mixed pretty much with all three colors: asian, european and african

Since: Jun 09

Darby, PA

#11 Sep 5, 2009
EastLDNgyal wrote:
Here's her pictures:
What d'you guys think?
Of course they don't consider themselves black. Yes they do have African heritage but they aren't black they are Dominican just like we are Americans. Black doesnt mean the same thing in other places as it does here. The only people that do consider themselves black are Black Americans and there is no point in getting offended it is just their perogative.
CrakkaEliminator

Camp Hill, PA

#12 Sep 5, 2009
no wonder whites rule over them, they have massive self hatred

Brigg, UK

#13 Sep 5, 2009
GTOWN_BMV_REPRESENTA wrote:
when i was dominican republic earlier this summer, my tour guide was of african descent. he showed everyone his I.D. and it actually said negro (the spanish pronunciation, not the redneck pronunciation). all their I.D. cards say what their heritage is, whether it african or latino.
I see. Like i said before, some of them look straight up black to me...Like this chick.

And Joe Buddens girlfriend, Tahiry, Looks like a light skinned black woman. Her brother looks straight up black, Just light skinned.

So when Dominicans sometimes claim their not black, I get confused cos they REALLY look it...oh well....

Brigg, UK

#14 Sep 5, 2009
Latino Italiano wrote:
They're very mixed down there, but from what I've seen, their dominant gene is African; unlike Puerto Rico, which is mainly Taino/Spanish, but also has African in there, just not nearly as much as DR.
Just my opinion on that one. I've never been to either places, so I can be wrong to a degree on this, but again, it's just what I've seen from my point of view.
Caribbean nations and territories are very mixed due to the history of colonial slavery. I'd not say one of those nations or territories down there are totally one color or another. Of course being majority of a certain color is another subject, but again, all of them are certainly mixed pretty much with all three colors: asian, european and african
You're correct. Islands like Trinidad and Guyana, are heavily mixed with Indian, Jamaica is mainly african descent, but a few of us may have an indian, chinese or white irish/scottish background.

From what i see, it's mainly the spanish speaking islands that tend to be very mixed. Especially puerto rico and cuba.

“Thy Rod and thy Staff”

They comfort me

#15 Sep 5, 2009
EastLDNgyal wrote:
<quoted text>
I find it funny, cos there are some DR, Cubans ETC who are darker than African Americans, Jamaicans, Bajans ETC and they say they're not black.
EKA looks straight up black to me.
When you hear Dominicans say theyre not black they mean not black american.Long time no speak,all is good with you?Peace

Brigg, UK

#16 Sep 5, 2009
JordanMonroe wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course they don't consider themselves black. Yes they do have African heritage but they aren't black they are Dominican just like we are Americans. Black doesnt mean the same thing in other places as it does here. The only people that do consider themselves black are Black Americans and there is no point in getting offended it is just their perogative.
What? That's not true. I'm of caribbean heritage and ALL the caribbean people i know refer to themselves as black. Only the self-hating ones don't.

Of course where we come from comes first e.g Jamaica and then what race we are. Race isn't much of an issue like it is in America.

African Americans are not the only people who call themselves black.
minnie

Milwaukee, WI

#17 Sep 5, 2009
there's dominicans who are purely of african descent
there's domincans who are purely white
there's dominicans who are purely of taino/carib/arawek descent (very few)
and then you have doimincans who are all three

Brigg, UK

#18 Sep 5, 2009
10 Toes Down wrote:
<quoted text>When you hear Dominicans say theyre not black they mean not black american.Long time no speak,all is good with you?Peace
I see. Thanks for clearing that up.
I'm good thanks, babe. Just chilling today.
What about yourself?

“Thy Rod and thy Staff”

They comfort me

#19 Sep 5, 2009
EastLDNgyal wrote:
<quoted text>
I see. Thanks for clearing that up.
I'm good thanks, babe. Just chilling today.
What about yourself?
That's what's up,im good.Check how in this Dominican soap opera how they talk amongst each other(20 second mark calls her friend ''negra''-''black'' in affectionate term)No different as here in the states.Peace

Since: Apr 08

Baltimore, MD

#20 Sep 5, 2009
EastLDNgyal wrote:
<quoted text>
What? That's not true. I'm of caribbean heritage and ALL the caribbean people i know refer to themselves as black. Only the self-hating ones don't.
Of course where we come from comes first e.g Jamaica and then what race we are. Race isn't much of an issue like it is in America.
African Americans are not the only people who call themselves black.
To get a more fuller understanding of why many dominicans hate being called black you have to do some research. They really have a hatred of anything black/African. They despise their hatian neighbors who on average are darker than they are. If you do research you will find that many dominican presidents drilled an anti black/hatian mentality into the dominican peoples head.
minnie

Milwaukee, WI

#21 Sep 5, 2009
Blackchingy wrote:
<quoted text>To get a more fuller understanding of why many dominicans hate being called black you have to do some research. They really have a hatred of anything black/African. They despise their hatian neighbors who on average are darker than they are. If you do research you will find that many dominican presidents drilled an anti black/hatian mentality into the dominican peoples head.
Trujillo was one evil prick

Since: Apr 08

Baltimore, MD

#22 Sep 5, 2009
JordanMonroe wrote:
<quoted text>
It depends on where you live. In the english speaking carribean most people who have african ancestry regardless if they have some admixture consider themselves black. In latin america it is different because black is looked down on so many people who have admixture try to run away from being black because the darker you are the lower on the food chain you tend to be. If you research history in america African americans weren't always called black. White people drilled it into our heads that anything black/african was bad. We were called coloreds at that time and if somebody called you black those were fighting words. It wasn't until the civilwrights movement of Dr king and the black power movement of malcolm X/black panthers that we became proud of being black. In the 1980's we affirmed our blackness even more when we truly accepted that we were people of African descent. What white people did took many decades to undo. I think that many dominicans are going through what we had to deal with. It may take sometime but eventually as more domincans get expossed to and see more wealthy and successfull blacks who look like them you will see the younger generation of domincans except and become proud of their blackness/african heritage.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 173
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Nuculur option 1,395,528
What is the filthiest ape-hole in the USA? 2 min Tony 11
Trump reading off a TELEPROMPTER Again!! 3 min Obama is a Boob 8
I need proof that the Ancient Egyptians Were No... (Oct '07) 5 min Anonymous 32,631
Egypt Air Flight recorders sucessfully repaired 8 min TheOriginalDoby 10
Failed sheboon Baltinig prosecuter might be cha... 13 min Make Em Good 2017 3
Black Men Are the Most Successful Men in America 23 min Tony 26
5 stabbed @ white nationalist trump rally 26 min LMBAO 84
How Fkn dumb can Republicans get? 2.0 38 min J R T 81
News African-Americans should start voting for Repub... 42 min Sara 283
News Donald Trump Is Unfit to Lead 46 min Schlulenburger 80
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 2 hr TranshumanX 46,421
More from around the web