COMMENTARY: Should Pastor Apologize f...

COMMENTARY: Should Pastor Apologize for Calling Black Women 'Hoes'?

There are 51 comments on the WDBZ-AM Cincinnati story from Apr 4, 2014, titled COMMENTARY: Should Pastor Apologize for Calling Black Women 'Hoes'?. In it, WDBZ-AM Cincinnati reports that:

I won't attend a church where the Senior Pastor disrespectfully refers to black women as "hoes."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WDBZ-AM Cincinnati.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Jumper The Wise

Morgantown, KY

#2 Apr 4, 2014
Welll he should apologize if corrected by another black person.
Jumper The Wise

Morgantown, KY

#4 Apr 4, 2014
Jimmy Crowinski wrote:
He shouldn't apologize, but he might admit that he was incorrect IF it could be proven wrong.
Don't be on it.
Yes. But proven wrong by a black person.

And I'm way not 'on it'
Zombie Corpse Rental

San Jose, CA

#7 Apr 5, 2014
Just another preacher trying to get 10% of your paycheck for himself.
lol

Toronto, Canada

#13 Apr 5, 2014
The saying 'bros b4 hoes' came from 'black men before black hoes'.
Jumper The Wise

Morgantown, KY

#14 Apr 5, 2014
Would he say those things to his wife or daughers?
Kendreya

Huntington Station, NY

#15 Apr 5, 2014
I applaud this woman for speaking up. We need more intelligent bw like her in America. First off It is obvious he is referring to bw. He did not say it directly he said it indirectly. use common sense. What is the likely hood that there are any white members of this church. A majority of churches in America are segregated. More than 90% of bm in America do not date or marry out of this race. The term hoe is offensive and it was originated by bm. Mainly in oppressive lyrics that are targeted towards bw. I do not agree with the term hoe he could have simply said whore. I find hoe more offensive. and the fact that he thinks women are responsible for their men's lack of self control. Why did he not say that men should do the same for their women. We do not live to cater to men. and I agree that so many bw go crazy over offenses from bm but not from offenses from wm. Those are less intelligent bw and I do not happen to be one of them so just like you criticize them I criticize ignorant bm who degrade their own race of women like "black pimped". And big black co** whor* white women are degraded so do not refer to bw only.

“The Spotted Girl News Network”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

#16 Apr 5, 2014
Jumper The Wise wrote:
Would he say those things to his wife or daughters?
Only if he was turning them out...

“ News”

Level 6

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#17 Apr 5, 2014
Although he did apologize, I have mix feelings about the whole thing. First, I'll talked about the message, minus the choice of words. The pastor was spot on. Since the mid-80's when these street woman started flooding the streets in most of the poorer black communities, bw have come down hard on bm for running after these types. But meanwhile did nothing to stop bm from wanting to hit the streets. They continued to go to clubs and hate on bm, or vacated the clubs that had too many blacks and went to mixed clubs. Then when that club go to black, the cycle would start again. At the same time, they were turning their noses up at black men who weren't driving a Volvo or better. Just were did you expect these bm to go for five dollars. It don't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. The pastor was right. If you want to have you man, then you have to outshine the street girl before she gets him first. Not almost have the same hate she has for men, or put him through more changes than she would.

Now about the word hoe. I heard many black pastors use the words turkey, punk. dog, sissy, etc... to describe men doing the wrong things, and nobody would say a word, even though these names are meant for bm, especially the first three. If you had an issue with it, you would hear, if the word don't apply to you, you shouldn't be offended. Shouldn't this same rule apply when a black pastor uses the street word for whore, which is hoe.

They have this saying: "If you throw a rock in the middle of a bunch of dogs, the one who hollers is the one you hit". Just some food for thought. Perhaps none of these words should be used by a pastor. But we can't continue to be one-sided, and let the church be used to bash bm, and only tap bw on the rest. That's where the church seems to be now, and I believe that's the main reason so many bm stopped going.

Level 8

Since: Aug 09

Saint Louis, MO

#19 Apr 6, 2014
He was wrong to call African women the h-word, although about 90% are exactly that and nothing more. But his real message, I think, ios that sisters have an attitude of liberal entitlement which the welfare system has bred. They think a brother has to accept any ole thing they dish out and still bring home the bacon. That is why they complain so much about brothers who get sick and tired of that crap and seek comfort among white women. So, as I read it, the h-word was meant as much for white women as it did for other black women. He was advising those who are fortunate enough to have a good brother to stop taking us for granted. There is nothing wrong with that message.
Sunshine

Elizabeth, NJ

#21 Apr 7, 2014
Thanks to Jay Z, Now all women are called Bitches and Hoes. Why no one ever talks about how whorish men are? Dipping their sticks in "hoes" and in Men. You can be Betty Crocker in the kitchen, Carmen Electra in the bedroom, ride a stripper pole with your eyes closed, Even look like Beyoncé. It will never be enough because the whorish man is going to cheat. I'm sure that Pastor is sleeping with the ladies in the congregation as well. That is why people stay away from church. What a joke.
Men try to talk shet about whores but will give up their whole paycheck just to satisfy them. The reason why black men seek WW is not for comfort. It's because their easy
Jumper The Wise

Morgantown, KY

#23 Apr 7, 2014
Take it from me pimping an't easy.
Anne

Washington, DC

#25 Apr 13, 2014
The fact that he didn't speak about the need for men to be responsible for their own behavior but called the women they cheat with "hoes" and advised the wives to "outshine" these other women speaks volumes about his mindset. He has a lot of harmful, outdated views about women, and those among us who have no problem with his use of the word "hoes" because that doesn't describe us are missing the point entirely. His getting down into the gutter is only part of the problem, but the main one is his holding women responsible for men's behavior as well as their own which is a key element of his misogyny. It's bad enough that rappers and others pepper their "music" with references to women as b*****s and "hoes," which shows how disrespectful and ignorant they are. But he needs to be held to higher standards because he has chosen to assume a mantle of moral authority. Because of his mindset, he is incapable of addressing the selfishness and dishonesty of those who cheat on their spouses while expecting unreciprocated fidelity.

“ News”

Level 6

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#26 Apr 13, 2014
Anne wrote:
The fact that he didn't speak about the need for men to be responsible for their own behavior but called the women they cheat with "hoes" and advised the wives to "outshine" these other women speaks volumes about his mindset. He has a lot of harmful, outdated views about women, and those among us who have no problem with his use of the word "hoes" because that doesn't describe us are missing the point entirely. His getting down into the gutter is only part of the problem, but the main one is his holding women responsible for men's behavior as well as their own which is a key element of his misogyny. It's bad enough that rappers and others pepper their "music" with references to women as b*****s and "hoes," which shows how disrespectful and ignorant they are. But he needs to be held to higher standards because he has chosen to assume a mantle of moral authority. Because of his mindset, he is incapable of addressing the selfishness and dishonesty of those who cheat on their spouses while expecting unreciprocated fidelity.
I think you're wrong on this. He, just like most black pastors, will turn right back around the next Sunday and bash the men, black men in particular, for the rest of the year to keep the women tithing. This isn't nothing new.

I think they blew this ministers comment out of proportion. Every now and then, a minister will get emotional and slip up and use a term like hoe, punk, tramp. sissy, etc... But if they start doing it a little too often, then it may be worth addressing. Why they're going off on this minister for slipping up once is crazy. It seems like ever since that Olivia Pope character became popular, some now want to defend whores. Before that, no one would have made an up roar for one slip of the tongue by a minister. It doesn't say anywhere in this report that this minister had the habit of using that term, or any of the other street terms.

What I don't like is how ministers these days address the accountability of each sex. When they go into this area, which is usually sensitive and personal, they need to do it in a more even style, and they need to do it in the same sermon. I never liked how they would get on the women one Sunday, then the men the next Sunday, or vice versa. Then the ones who do address both sexes, usually come off leaning towards one side, usually the womans, too keep the tithes coming like I said. I've seen only one minister that used to keep it even, and it sad to say he was white. Not sad because he was white, but sad because so many black ministers are unable to.
Anne

Washington, DC

#27 Apr 14, 2014
@KPTRL:

Those of us who object to his name-calling are definitely NOT blowing it out of proportion. This is not only because he has willingly assumed a position of moral authority by being a pastor, but also because it's indicative of his disrespect for women. It's even more troubling that his advice to cheated-on wives puts the onus on them to keep themselves attractive, as if that alone would keep someone from cheating. Keeping oneself up does contribute to good health and general attractiveness, but it doesn't address deep-seated issues involved in cheating. We have only to look at the examples of glamorous women like Halle Berry or Vanessa Williams to see that beauty doesn't necessarily keep men from straying. Any advice that doesn't address the sense of entitlement and dishonesty that are a part of cheating is bound to be ineffective, which is why he should have addressed both men and women at the same time. There are folks who still want to play the field in spite of being married, and they have no business in a marriage because they want to have their cake and eat it too. Too many of them want a faithful spouse when they have no intention of being faithful themselves, so making oneself attractive doesn't address things like that. There are times that there are problems with the spouse that involve finances, relatives, and other issues, which cheating also can never address. In that case, if the problems can't be resolved, the couple just needs to split. A lot among us can't see this issue for what it is because too many of us are oblivious to the sexism among us. That's why so many can't see why what this pastor did was wrong.

“ News”

Level 6

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#28 Apr 14, 2014
Anne wrote:
@KPTRL:
Those of us who object to his name-calling are definitely NOT blowing it out of proportion. This is not only because he has willingly assumed a position of moral authority by being a pastor, but also because it's indicative of his disrespect for women. It's even more troubling that his advice to cheated-on wives puts the onus on them to keep themselves attractive, as if that alone would keep someone from cheating. Keeping oneself up does contribute to good health and general attractiveness, but it doesn't address deep-seated issues involved in cheating. We have only to look at the examples of glamorous women like Halle Berry or Vanessa Williams to see that beauty doesn't necessarily keep men from straying. Any advice that doesn't address the sense of entitlement and dishonesty that are a part of cheating is bound to be ineffective, which is why he should have addressed both men and women at the same time. There are folks who still want to play the field in spite of being married, and they have no business in a marriage because they want to have their cake and eat it too. Too many of them want a faithful spouse when they have no intention of being faithful themselves, so making oneself attractive doesn't address things like that. There are times that there are problems with the spouse that involve finances, relatives, and other issues, which cheating also can never address. In that case, if the problems can't be resolved, the couple just needs to split. A lot among us can't see this issue for what it is because too many of us are oblivious to the sexism among us. That's why so many can't see why what this pastor did was wrong.
You may as well fire all pastors, because I haven't seen one who didn't slip up out the mouth wrong at least once. Remember he did apologize.

This thing about telling woman to look good etc...I didn't see that anywhere. I think he was basically telling women that having papers on a man doesn't mean he's not going to mess around, if she's not going to do the things she did when she got him. I've heard that plenty of women don't do the same things they did before or when they married the man. Some have even been known to do a complete 360 on a brother not long after he marries her, and hardly does nothing. I think that's the group the minister was addressing. Not all, but most men I know who messed around, did it because the wife wasn't giving them any, or she was always too tired etc... These are the ones he was saying were in danger of their husbands finding it in the streets. You know how they say: "The message isn't always for everybody". But I still say that a pastor shouldn't visit this area unless he is will to address both sexes on the spot.

But the uproar was about him referring to a whore as a hoe. That was the title of the article. There is always going to be mixed feelings about that, but as I said, he did apologize. But nobody ever wants to address the reality of so many BW whores in the street for these husbands to fornicate with in the first place. If you really live in the D.C. area, and know the history, then you know what I'm talking about. That's been swept under the rug for nearly 30 years. I guess they rather be more concerned about what name you call them, while they grow in numbers at earlier ages. That's a major part of the problem right their. But if everybody is going to continue to turn their head, then expect the fire to keep getting hotter. A 12 year-old could have seen this coming years ago. It's gets very hard not to just want to give up on black people sometimes, and just let the wind talk to them.
Anne

Washington, DC

#29 Apr 14, 2014
So, if those women are "whores," what does it make the men who willingly choose to deal with them? No one put a gun to their heads and forced them to deal with these women. They were quite happy to commit adultery with them. I firmly believe it's a disservice to men to even suggest that they can't control themselves against those temptresses out on the street. It takes two to tango, and while there ARE women who don't care about the marriages of other people, they could not do anything without men who are just as morally bankrupt as they are. Like I said, there are problems that arise in marriage and the woman is just as likely to be at fault as the man is. I can understand how a bad marriage can lead people to stray, but the best thing to do is to leave the marriage altogether if people can't solve their problems. Bringing someone else into the picture almost never brings good results for anyone. With all the STD'S out here and the unfortunate kids who come from these adulterous relationships, adultery is not only an act of selfishness but also of irresponsibility. I'm glad he apologized, but his problem goes deeper than just an ill-advised slur.

“ News”

Level 6

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#30 Apr 14, 2014
Anne wrote:
So, if those women are "whores," what does it make the men who willingly choose to deal with them? No one put a gun to their heads and forced them to deal with these women. They were quite happy to commit adultery with them. I firmly believe it's a disservice to men to even suggest that they can't control themselves against those temptresses out on the street. It takes two to tango, and while there ARE women who don't care about the marriages of other people, they could not do anything without men who are just as morally bankrupt as they are. Like I said, there are problems that arise in marriage and the woman is just as likely to be at fault as the man is. I can understand how a bad marriage can lead people to stray, but the best thing to do is to leave the marriage altogether if people can't solve their problems. Bringing someone else into the picture almost never brings good results for anyone. With all the STD'S out here and the unfortunate kids who come from these adulterous relationships, adultery is not only an act of selfishness but also of irresponsibility. I'm glad he apologized, but his problem goes deeper than just an ill-advised slur.
Just based on what I know about black pastors, I'm sure he already got on the men too by now. You can almost tell by how fast he apologized. But that won't make news. Half the people don't even know he apologized, which was done before the article was even released. I wouldn't be surprised if he did it before the article was even written.

Level 8

Since: Aug 09

Saint Louis, MO

#31 Apr 15, 2014
KPITRL wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you're wrong on this. He, just like most black pastors, will turn right back around the next Sunday and bash the men, black men in particular, for the rest of the year to keep the women tithing. This isn't nothing new.
I think they blew this ministers comment out of proportion. Every now and then, a minister will get emotional and slip up and use a term like hoe, punk, tramp. sissy, etc... But if they start doing it a little too often, then it may be worth addressing. Why they're going off on this minister for slipping up once is crazy. It seems like ever since that Olivia Pope character became popular, some now want to defend whores. Before that, no one would have made an up roar for one slip of the tongue by a minister. It doesn't say anywhere in this report that this minister had the habit of using that term, or any of the other street terms.
What I don't like is how ministers these days address the accountability of each sex. When they go into this area, which is usually sensitive and personal, they need to do it in a more even style, and they need to do it in the same sermon. I never liked how they would get on the women one Sunday, then the men the next Sunday, or vice versa. Then the ones who do address both sexes, usually come off leaning towards one side, usually the womans, too keep the tithes coming like I said. I've seen only one minister that used to keep it even, and it sad to say he was white. Not sad because he was white, but sad because so many black ministers are unable to.
A pastor's job is to be critical of this perverted society. This is especially of African pastors who have to deal with "gay rights" and all kinds of sexual immoralities. Our problem is clergy have not been critical in recent years. Instead, the problem too many preachers who want to go with the flow for fear the perverts will not donate to his church. Look at Eddie Long. He had one of the biggest churches in the country. But he himself is married to more than one man. But look at how much money was pouring into his church.

Level 2

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#32 Apr 15, 2014
A pastor is no different that any other man! With they're fake azz!

“ News”

Level 6

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#33 Apr 15, 2014
Abdurratln wrote:
<quoted text>
A pastor's job is to be critical of this perverted society. This is especially of African pastors who have to deal with "gay rights" and all kinds of sexual immoralities. Our problem is clergy have not been critical in recent years. Instead, the problem too many preachers who want to go with the flow for fear the perverts will not donate to his church. Look at Eddie Long. He had one of the biggest churches in the country. But he himself is married to more than one man. But look at how much money was pouring into his church.
I knew something was wrong with Eddie Long about 10 years ago when he once said that women automatically went to haven. I haven't took him seriously since.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 5 min I Kill Lying Devils 50,814
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min Reality Speaks 1,459,888
Why are black women so unattractive? (Aug '15) 20 min Scotland the brave 35
Are Papuans from New Guinea considered Blacks? (Feb '08) 20 min Joseph Blackwolf 190
Poll What is more violent? White Trailer Park or Bla... (Aug '10) 21 min Shang High 81
News Woman says she was kicked out of Victoria's Sec... 23 min UruEuWauWau 3
According to the one drop rule, white "people" ... 34 min Moses 82
Are black people really the real jews? (Oct '12) 41 min Operator13 1,314
Will Le Pen repatriate Muslims from france? 2 hr dcool 112
News White rage and racist thought: How history puts... 7 hr KIP 56
More from around the web