First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“The Love Below”

Level 8

Since: Apr 10

ATL

#1 Aug 3, 2012
WIMBLEDON, England Serena Williams loves Gabby Douglas. Or as she says, "I'm obsessed with Gabby Douglas."
The tennis star said she had "chill bumps" when she watched Douglas become the first African-American woman to win the all-around Olympic gymnastics gold Thursday.

Williams also has followed the online debate, mostly via Twitter, about Douglas' straightened hair. "It's gorgeous! People don't know what they're talking about," Williams told USA TODAY Sports on Friday. "It's ridiculous. It's so ridiculous. Her hair is gorgeous."

Actress Gabrielle Union, who's African-American, took to Twitter to counter some of the criticism Friday. She wrote: "@gabrielledoug is a winner I am proud of her. She is beautiful exactly the way she is Shes #Gabulous#byehaters"

Douglas retweeted Union and added: "AGREED!!!"

Monisha Randolph was among the first to weigh in on the racially sensitive debate, writing in her Sporty Afros blog on Facebook.

"So what's the big deal about Gabby's hair? From what I am reading on Facebook and Twitter, many African American women who are SITTING and WATCHING Gabby compete

believe her hair is not "kept."

She needs some gel and a brush

Someone needs to give her a hair intervention

She has to "represent""

"Have we forgotten that Gabby is competing at Olympics XXX? This is not America's Next Top Model that we're watching. And the last time I checked when you play a sport, you sweat. I know I do. And when a Black woman who has chosen to wear her hair straight begins to sweat, her hair will (not might) begin to revert back to its natural coily, curly, or kinky state. Does Gabby need to stop every five minutes to check her hair? No."

Union also tweeted: "Any1 who insults a TEEN whose accomplished so much while displaying grace & dignity is beyond lame & should be ashamed of themselves #byehaters"

Or as Williams said, for the third time as she headed into the Wimbledon locker room, "It's ridiculous."

“The Love Below”

Level 8

ATL

#2 Aug 3, 2012
Lol

Dallas, TX

#3 Aug 3, 2012
She is soo cute.Gabby was raised well.
lawlz

Switzerland

#4 Aug 3, 2012
Negroes argue over the most stupidest things.

Light skin
IR
Hair
Ghetoness
Money
White wumminz
Crakkkas
suckmycockiness

El Monte, CA

#5 Aug 3, 2012
I'm glad they spoke up about it, it's ridiculous that people especially black, just rather hate on someone or find something wrong with them than give them there props, she's a teenage girl making history, so what if you don't like her hair, they're nobody, and most of the people that said something wasn't up to par themselves, I took offense to those who spoke negative of her, but I'm sure she knows looks good and did something that most of is casing even dream doing

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#6 Aug 3, 2012
Wow they're blowing this out of proportion
A few ppl said something about her hair now it's a big circulating news story. Why?

Level 5

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#7 Aug 3, 2012
Are we sure it's even black people?
Alot of white people instigate arguments and ridiculous pettiness here, what makes you think they're not a nemesis every where they go?
White people are notorious for setting up division. This black and white thing did not start over night!
The hair debate wasn't even started by blacks!
And don't even start on light skin Vs. dark skin.
ROLLING EYES SO HARD, right now!
By the way congratulations gabby"the flying squirrel" douglas.

“No Troll Zone...”

Since: May 08

They Know Better!!!

#8 Aug 3, 2012
lawlz wrote:
Negroes argue over the most stupidest things.
Light skin
IR
Hair
Ghetoness
Money
White wumminz
Crakkkas
Rednecks argue over the most stupidest things.

Little kids
Meth
Barack Obama
NASCAR
Trailer parks
Black wumminz
N----rs

“No Troll Zone...”

Since: May 08

They Know Better!!!

#9 Aug 3, 2012
aZiya wrote:
A few ppl said something about her hair now it's a big circulating news story. Why?
Slow news day at the redneck media company???

Who knows???
MizzHoneyBeeZ wrote:
Alot of white people instigate arguments and ridiculous pettiness here, what makes you think they're not a nemesis every where they go?
White people are notorious for setting up division. This black and white thing did not start over night!
Now you know better to tell rednecks they wrong.

They dont know what that mean.
lawlz

Switzerland

#10 Aug 3, 2012
AlwaysOnPoint wrote:
<quoted text>
Rednecks argue over the most stupidest things.
Little kids
Meth
Barack Obama
NASCAR
Trailer parks
Black wumminz
N----rs
No redneck argues over kids, meth, Obama, and def not BLACK WOMEN.

Any self respecting redneck wouldn't date a black woman, and you bessbleedat.

Das raht

Location hidden

#11 Aug 3, 2012
MizzHoneyBeeZ wrote:
I agree.
That's what I was thinking, who are these ppl who said something and why is everybody making a big deal about it.

“Is He That Somebody?”

Level 2

Since: Jun 12

Aurora, CO

#12 Aug 3, 2012
I thought she had nice hair...ytf are people focusing on how she did her hair instead of the amazing feat she accomplished? i'm so proud of her for being the first black woman to get gold in gymnastics!!:)

Location hidden

#13 Aug 3, 2012
AlwaysOnPoint wrote:
<quoted text>Slow news day at the redneck media company???

Who knows???

MizzHoneyBeeZ wrote, "Are we sure it's even black people?
By the way congratulations gabby"the flying squirrel" douglas."

Now you know better to tell rednecks they wrong.

They dont know what that mean.
exactly. We all know how the media operates. Instead of focusing on her winning the gold they'll focus on a tweet about her hair and make sure it's top news.
and make it look like its us arguing with ourselves
Such a sad ppl they are
Lame

Brooklyn, NY

#14 Aug 3, 2012
MizzHoneyBeeZ wrote:
Well you shouldn't repeat that stupid flying squirrel nonsense either.. That is not an endearing term at all !! They are attempting to be nasty with term as squirrels are NOT cute. Bp are some of the most unaware people on the planet.

“Trans-Atlantic cruises”

Level 2

Since: Jun 12

Available to all BM

#15 Aug 3, 2012
MizzHoneyBeeZ wrote:
I KNEW it would eventually be blamed on White folks. It's not WP talking about her hair because most of us don't even know about BP's hair.

Level 2

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#16 Aug 3, 2012
At least she HAS hair unlike most she-boons! LAUGHING OUT LOUD

Level 5

Location hidden

#17 Aug 3, 2012
Free shipping wrote:
<quoted text>
I KNEW it would eventually be blamed on White folks. It's not WP talking about her hair because most of us don't even know about BP's hair.
You don't know anything about BP either but yet that never stopped you from talking about us and our ancestors either, HAS IT!
Wow

Chandler, AZ

#18 Aug 3, 2012
aZiya wrote:
A few people?

Stop making excuses.

You of ALL people shouldn't attempt to dismiss this issue. One of the major pressing issues in our community is that many of us are too quick to be dismissive of our own and this event is evident, of just that.

This girl won a gold medal, so why wouldn't our community as a whole try to focus on her win instead of her hair? Crazy thought, huh? Lets be real here without lame excuses!

The news story exists unfortunately because black people like you as well as others like you who speak as representative's for the black community, reflects on us in a negative light.

You come across as an angry or sad person, thus you must lead a miserable life.

“The Love Below”

Level 8

ATL

#19 Aug 3, 2012
aZiya wrote:
This lady called into the radio station and said this young women need a perm. She also said this young women does not have "good hair" like the white girls, and she should not look like that, because shes representing african americans. She also told the radio host, "well, you have good hair", his name is Frank Ski. He called her a slave, and called her Ciley from the color purple lol. He was mad, and the female co host was laughing.

Level 5

Location hidden

#20 Aug 3, 2012
Lame wrote:
<quoted text>
Well you shouldn't repeat that stupid flying squirrel nonsense either.. That is not an endearing term at all !! They are attempting to be nasty with term as squirrels are NOT cute. Bp are some of the most unaware people on the planet.
That's a nick name for her, named by her older sister. She was so flexible as a toddler. It may not be "endearing" to you and your kind, but it's just fine with us!

Besides, "the flying squirrel" won a GOLD MEDAL, what have you won lately?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min No Surprize 1,109,332
Black Men Can't Get Pretty, Classy White Women! 7 min The truth 41
Is Scotland votes to leave the UK 10 min Vanto Black 3
Are white women attracted to black men? (Aug '06) 10 min smfh 120,805
BW Cuffed by Police for Kissing WM: Prostitute??? 12 min Vanto Black 123
The truth of boxing........ 20 min Be_Real_Fool 24
Why Are White Girls So Afraid Of Black Girls? (May '09) 21 min Michele 492
White Power is finally ending, Blacks will righ... 44 min Insect Trust 570
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 1 hr McCarthywasRight 24,468
White Woman Exposes The Sickness Of Desperate B... 1 hr Big Knob 526
Another white man beheaded by IsIs 1 hr WhiteAnimal 202
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
Seattle Dating

more search filters

less search filters

African-American People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••