A puerto rican woman says she's black

Level 5

Since: Jul 13

Rio Grande, Puerto Rico

#44 Oct 25, 2013
Malic wrote:
@ Mary,
I just clicked on your picture for a wider frame. I'm looking at your features and....haha...you got the nose and lip of a Black American Womam, Mary.
I don't know how you feel about that but I consider Black Women beautiful so you can guess how I see you. Your tone looks light but not enough to pass White. Probably like Halle Berry.
I thought you was saying you look like that picture you posted. You look like light-skinned, Peurto Rican, on the Black side though.
Maybe if you post another pic, I can see you better.
I might, but not know. I know I have some african features, but those the straight hair or hazel eyes count as well? Like I said, I'm practically mixed. One of my sisters if really dark, with straight hair, while the other one is pale with grey eyes and straight hair as well. My whole family is a mixture.

Level 5

Rio Grande, Puerto Rico

#45 Oct 25, 2013
Genevieve11 wrote:
<quoted text>
lol of COURSE you'd never live here because you don't want to EVER be considered black.
No, because I don't like the US, I love my island, and if I ever live outside of it I would choose south America. I think the US is a good place, but I have seen prettier places in latin countries. Their culture is more vibrant and so is the food.
Genevieve11

Los Angeles, CA

#46 Oct 25, 2013
I'm not black in puerto rico, I'm a regular rican according to a bunch or puerto rican chicks i met while on business in NYC.

BUT i'm black in the U.S. then people look at my last name and they'reall like wtf and then i have to explain to them that my last name is spanish creole....which causes even more wtf looks so i just tend to mask my "other" side and just let them label me as black, unless they truly ask and want to get to know me. But i'm like watever abt it, classify me as black mixed creole whatever i don't mind being either/or

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Genevieve11

Los Angeles, CA

#47 Oct 25, 2013
Mary_ M wrote:
<quoted text>
I might, but not know. I know I have some african features, but those the straight hair or hazel eyes count as well? Like I said, I'm practically mixed. One of my sisters if really dark, with straight hair, while the other one is pale with grey eyes and straight hair as well. My whole family is a mixture.
my father has blue-green eyes and white skin. My mother has black wavy hair down to her butt. I'm black.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Malic

Houston, TX

#48 Oct 25, 2013
@ Gene,

Positive attitude. I like that.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Level 5

Rio Grande, Puerto Rico

#49 Oct 25, 2013
Junior wrote:
Moors were mixed among, and part of the Andalusians who formed a sizable immigrant population to Puerto Rico:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Andalus
They are also found in Portugal and even France.
<quoted text>
Copy paste from the link I gave you:
the 19th century the greatest number of Spaniards that came to the island with their families were Catalans and Mallorcans from the nearby Mediterranean regions.

The second most common Spanish region with the largest numbers were the Galicians and Asturians, and the third regions were Canary Islanders, Basques and Andalusians. The Catalans, Galicians, Mallorcans and Asturians would come with whole families most of the time.

When the Moors came the spanish language was still in progress and many arabic words were introduced to what we know now as the spanish language.

Level 5

Rio Grande, Puerto Rico

#50 Oct 25, 2013
Genevieve11 wrote:
<quoted text>
my father has blue-green eyes and white skin. My mother has black wavy hair down to her butt. I'm black.
Like you have said, you live in the US, I don't, different points of view.

Level 5

Rio Grande, Puerto Rico

#51 Oct 25, 2013
Malic wrote:
@ Gene,
Positive attitude. I like that.
Have you ever asked your colombian wife this? I mean, if she considers herself black, white, or just mixed? Many of us latins just like to be known as that, as hispanic/latin. When I read some news I have noticed that people there in the states usually describe a person by saying, "the black or white men", I have seen that many actually do write "the hispanic man/woman".
Genevieve11

Los Angeles, CA

#52 Oct 25, 2013
Mary_ M wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever asked your colombian wife this? I mean, if she considers herself black, white, or just mixed? Many of us latins just like to be known as that, as hispanic/latin. When I read some news I have noticed that people there in the states usually describe a person by saying, "the black or white men", I have seen that many actually do write "the hispanic man/woman".
hispanic is a catch-all term for someone with a latin american culture with spanish ancestry. You can be completely black and be described as hispanic, but you'd be a blatino....a black hispanic. Puerto Ricans with african in them are Blatinos...Mexicans are mestizos...etc.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Malic

Houston, TX

#53 Oct 25, 2013
@ Mary,

My bad I missed this question. My wife is a bit darker than you. Your hair more straight than her. My wife clearly pass for a Black Latina. She claim herself Black...even in her native country.

Now, my oldest son got hair like yours. My youngest got good hair at the roots but a bit more like mine and he's light as hell, but obvious Black.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Level 5

Rio Grande, Puerto Rico

#54 Oct 25, 2013
Genevieve11 wrote:
<quoted text>
hispanic is a catch-all term for someone with a latin american culture with spanish ancestry. You can be completely black and be described as hispanic, but you'd be a blatino....a black hispanic. Puerto Ricans with african in them are Blatinos...Mexicans are mestizos...etc.
So if we have spanish ancestry why people count if off? Well, not all people do, apparently people from the US do. Like I said, you guys live and grew up differently than me. You practically live in the most globalized country. You have adopt their way of thinking instead of using common sense.

Black + Black = Black
White + White = White
White + Black = Mixed (Globalization's point of view = Black)

Level 5

Rio Grande, Puerto Rico

#55 Oct 25, 2013
Malic wrote:
@ Mary,
My bad I missed this question. My wife is a bit darker than you. Your hair more straight than her. My wife clearly pass for a Black Latina. She claim herself Black...even in her native country.
Now, my oldest son got hair like yours. My youngest got good hair at the roots but a bit more like mine and he's light as hell, but obvious Black.
And the latinas that are white, how would they pass? Like I said, not in the states, but in general.

“Univ. of Texas-Med School!!! ”

Level 5

Since: Dec 12

Tomball, TX

#56 Oct 25, 2013
She looks mixed to me...

Level 5

Rio Grande, Puerto Rico

#58 Oct 25, 2013
Malic wrote:
@ Mary,
This is my youngest son (in Avatar) and his tone color. My wife is just slightly darker.
You aren't getting my point, latin people are usually mixed, maybe someone is light skin but has really curly hair, while another can be darker and have straight hair. Biologically, she/he is mixed. Politically is another story, to each country their own. We puerto ricans have US citizens since birth, but that doesn't make me less hispanic. Culture and ethnicity are separated from politics points of view.

Level 5

Rio Grande, Puerto Rico

#60 Oct 25, 2013
Malic wrote:
@ Mary,
This is my youngest son (in Avatar) and his tone color. My wife is just slightly darker.
You avatar won't show in a while, it happens. But I do suggest you don't put up pictures of family members. I would never put my little sisters as avatars here.
Genevieve11

Los Angeles, CA

#62 Oct 25, 2013
Mary is racist against her own black race. She thinks she's too good to call herself black like the rest of the mixed black folks in the U.S. smh

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Genevieve11

Los Angeles, CA

#63 Oct 25, 2013
Malic wrote:
@ Mary,
Listen. Like Gene was explaining to you. You probably grew up in Puerto Rico all your life. Have you been to the states, yet? New York is full of Puerto Ricans.
LMFAO! I was in the bronx and they all looked black to me. I seriously couldn't tell who was latina and who wasn't, unlike here in cali with all of the taco-benders and burrito-pushers.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Level 5

Rio Grande, Puerto Rico

#65 Oct 26, 2013
Genevieve11 wrote:
Mary is racist against her own black race. She thinks she's too good to call herself black like the rest of the mixed black folks in the U.S. smh
I don't want to be called something that I'm not a 100%. I can't be called white, nor black.

Level 5

Rio Grande, Puerto Rico

#66 Oct 26, 2013
Genevieve11 wrote:
<quoted text>
LMFAO! I was in the bronx and they all looked black to me. I seriously couldn't tell who was latina and who wasn't, unlike here in cali with all of the taco-benders and burrito-pushers.
Like I said, you have never visited my island.

“Obsidian Princess”

Level 8

Since: Sep 09

louisiana

#67 Oct 26, 2013
it would be easier if people identify with natiionality, ethnicity and tribe rather then a color or rather label such as the word black.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min JCPete 1,684,593
Inferior black male loses UFC Heavyweight shot. 6 min Yisraelite Suprem... 13
The Joke of the Century: Neo-Nazis Think They'r... 7 min Negus AfricaAfric... 66
Bets on how long shutdown will last... 20 min Yisraelite Suprem... 35
Why does nothing ever work for Negroes? 33 min Yisraelite Suprem... 30
The joke of the century: Negroes think they're ... 37 min Harrisson 149
Teenapers courageously carjack 81 yo woman 46 min Jake 4
Racist White People on MLK Day. 1 hr Jake 137
Why is the media pushing interracial relationsh... (Sep '14) 2 hr Harrisson 911
WHITE FOLKS: YOU need to know what King Knew! 3 hr Savant 164
More from around the web