Posted in the African-American Forum

First Prev
of 15
Next Last
candaycoated

Wichita, KS

#1 Oct 25, 2013
A very interesting article

http://1nedrop.com/who-is-black-by-rosa-cleme...

By: Rosa Clemente

Yesterday, an interesting thing happened to me. I was told I am not Black.

The kicker for me was when my friend stated that the island of Puerto Rico was not a part of the African Diaspora. I wanted to go back to the old school playground days and yell:“You said what about my momma?!” But after speaking to several friends, I found out that many Black Americans and Latinos agree with him. The miseducation of the Negro is still in effect!

I am so tired of having to prove to others that I am Black, that my peoples are from the Motherland, that Puerto Rico, along with Cuba, Panama and the Dominican Republic, are part of the African Diaspora. Did we forget that the slave ships dropped off our people all over the world, hence the word Diaspora?

The Atlantic slave trade brought Africans to Puerto Rico in the early 1500s. Some of the first slave rebellions took place on the island of Puerto Rico. Until 1846, Africanos on the island had to carry a libreta to move around the island, like the passbook system in apartheid South Africa. In Puerto Rico, you will find large communities of descendants of the Yoruba, Bambara, Wolof and Mandingo people. Puerto Rican culture is inherently African culture.

There are hundreds of books that will inform you, but I do not need to read book after book to legitimize this thesis. All I need to do is go to Puerto Rico and look all around me. Damn, all I really have to do is look in the mirror every day.

I am often asked what I am—usually by Blacks who are lighter than me and by Latinos/as who are darker than me. To answer the $100,000, 000 question, I am a Black Boricua, Black Rican, Puertorriqueña! Almost always I am questioned about why I choose to call myself Black over Latina, Spanish, Hispanic. Let me break it down.

I am not Spanish. Spanish is just another language I speak. I am not a Hispanic. My ancestors are not descendants of Spain, but descendants of Africa. I define my existence by race and land.(Borinken is the indigenous name of the island of Puerto Rico.)

Being Latino is not a cultural identity but rather a political one. Being Puerto Rican is not a racial identity, but rather a cultural and national one. Being Black is my racial identity. Why do I have to consistently explain this to those who are so-called conscious? Is it because they have a problem with their identity? Why is it so bad to assert who I am, for me to big-up my Africanness?

My Blackness is one of the greatest powers I have. We live in a society that devalues Blackness all the time. I will not be devalued as a human being, as a child of the Supreme Creator.

Although many of us in activist circles are enlightened, many of us have baggage that we must deal with. So many times I am asked why many Boricuas refuse to affirm their Blackness. I attribute this denial to the ever-rampant anti-Black sentiment in America and throughout the world, but I will not use this as an excuse. Often Puerto Ricans who assert our Blackness are not only outcast by Latinos who identify more with their Spanish Conqueror than their African ancestors, but we are also shunned by Black Americans who do not see us as Black.

Nelly Fuller, a great Black sociologist, stated:“Until one understands the system of White supremacy, anything and everything else will confuse you.” Divide and conquer still applies.

Listen people: Being Black is not just skin color, nor is it synonymous with Black Americans. To assert who I am is the most liberating and revolutionary thing I can ever do. Being a Black Puerto Rican encompasses me racially, ethically and most importantly, gives me a homeland to refer to.

So I have come to this conclusion: I am whatever I say I am!(Thank you, Rakim.)

Level 2

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#2 Oct 25, 2013
Well its good that you are proud of your heritage. A lot of blacks from spanish speaking countries often do not consider themselves black and its way more than others in the diaspora. Now I'm not generalizing ALL black Latinos but this thing is very prevalent

Level 5

Since: Jul 13

Rio Grande, Puerto Rico

#3 Oct 25, 2013
Well, it all depends how ones identifies as. I have always said that I'm mixed because that's what I really am. I never denied my spanish, taino, or african ancestry and no one should.

She considers her racial identity as black, but for other puerto ricans could be different because many of us vary on skin color, hair texture, etc. Like I said, we are basically a mix, from the lightest to the darkest.

I had to argue several times with some posters on here cause of puerto ricans race, some think we are white cause of our spanish ancestry while others think we are fully black cause of our african ancestry. It's kind of annoying.

“Expecting!”

Level 1

Since: Oct 13

Royally Inked

#5 Oct 25, 2013
Well now that being black is cool....
Genevieve11

Los Angeles, CA

#6 Oct 25, 2013
Mary_ M wrote:
I had to argue several times with some posters on here cause of puerto ricans race, some think we are white cause of our spanish ancestry while others think we are fully black cause of our african ancestry. It's kind of annoying.
Hi!:P

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
candaycoated

Wichita, KS

#7 Oct 25, 2013
Mary_ M wrote:
Well, it all depends how ones identifies as. I have always said that I'm mixed because that's what I really am. I never denied my spanish, taino, or african ancestry and no one should.
She considers her racial identity as black, but for other puerto ricans could be different because many of us vary on skin color, hair texture, etc. Like I said, we are basically a mix, from the lightest to the darkest.
Do you have african ancestry?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Level 5

Rio Grande, Puerto Rico

#8 Oct 25, 2013
candaycoated wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have african ancestry?
I do

Level 2

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#10 Oct 25, 2013
Wait I just realized the OP isnt referring to his/herself lol my bad
Blacks Are Worthless

Miami, FL

#11 Oct 25, 2013
Any Hispanic, Latino or Chicano chick that looks as sweet & light skinned as her but runs around trying to convince the entire free world that she is black needs to be drug tested for hallucinogens.
Genevieve11

Los Angeles, CA

#12 Oct 25, 2013
Blacks Are Worthless wrote:
Any Hispanic, Latino or Chicano chick that looks as sweet & light skinned as her but runs around trying to convince the entire free world that she is black needs to be drug tested for hallucinogens.
really? there are some light skinned "black" people with Spanish in them too...don't get it twisted.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Genevieve11

Los Angeles, CA

#13 Oct 25, 2013
Mary....ella esta una pincha negrita.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Level 5

Rio Grande, Puerto Rico

#14 Oct 25, 2013
Genevieve11 wrote:
<quoted text>
Mary....ella esta una pincha negrita.
Your spanish is really bad, besides, why do you have the need to mention me?

Level 5

Rio Grande, Puerto Rico

#15 Oct 25, 2013
Genevieve11 wrote:
<quoted text>
really? there are some light skinned "black" people with Spanish in them too...don't get it twisted.
http://images.fashionmodeldirectory.com/image...

She is puerto rican, would you consider her black?

I never said there are puerto ricans that don't look black, but there are others who don't.
Genevieve11

Los Angeles, CA

#16 Oct 25, 2013
Mary, stop being an idiot this poster is laughing at you saying you're mixed. It doesn't work like that here in america. This poster is a sarcastic racist bast#rd, he's not being not serious! Don't fall for it.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Genevieve11

Los Angeles, CA

#17 Oct 25, 2013
Mary_ M wrote:
<quoted text>
http://images.fashionmodeldirectory.com/image...
She is puerto rican, would you consider her black?
I never said there are puerto ricans that don't look black, but there are others who don't.
looking at her, no, but you never know. "Black" is not based on looks all the time in america. it's based on if you have african in you or not. People aren't so strict abt it now, but they dam sure did manage to dig up Zimmerman's "black" ancestors out of their graves in that case, so we still go by blood quanta here.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Genevieve11

Los Angeles, CA

#18 Oct 25, 2013
Mary_ M wrote:
<quoted text>
Your spanish is really bad,
okay so how would you say it then? I don't speak it regularly.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Malic

Houston, TX

#19 Oct 25, 2013
I agree with Mary. Not all Puerto Ricans are Blacks. Alot of them have no admixture with Blacks. You can tell the ones with African blood from the ones, straight Latin (Whites).

By the way Mary, what percentage would you say you're Black? And do you identify anyway with your African ancestry or just straight Puerto Rican?

I dated a Puerto Rican in college. I would have married her if she wasn't so fiercely violent when we get in an argument.

It's like I had to be on gaurd when I argue with her than the other way around. Im a Man. Smh. I've been stabbed with a broken beer bottle when I dared her to stab me with it one time.

I stood there and didn't raise my hand at her and dared her to do it. I knew she love me so I didn't think she would. But she tolldddd me!

She took that bottle, walked straight up to me and before I could think and react, she jam that sharp edge in my shoulder blaze.

Dropped the bottle and looked me dead in the eyes. No fear. Just fierce love in her own way. I thought to slap the living mess out of her but we were in my dorm and I didnt want to make a scene.

I looked her back in the eyes, disappointed she did it and just like that, she madly flung her arms around me and passionately tonguing each others out.

Dropped her a** in the bed like,'you gonna get it!' I told it up that night...or she tore me up, too. Haha.

Level 5

Rio Grande, Puerto Rico

#20 Oct 25, 2013
Genevieve11 wrote:
<quoted text>
looking at her, no, but you never know. "Black" is not based on looks all the time in america. it's based on if you have african in you or not. People aren't so strict abt it now, but they dam sure did manage to dig up Zimmerman's "black" ancestors out of their graves in that case, so we still go by blood quanta here.
You can dig up as many ancestry you want, maybe many whites have a drop of black blood and they are still considered white. In zimmerman's case was kind of a racial clash. Unless you don't let know what kind of DNA you have people will judge on physical appearance.
Genevieve11

Los Angeles, CA

#21 Oct 25, 2013
Malic wrote:
I agree with Mary. Not all Puerto Ricans are Blacks. Alot of them have no admixture with Blacks. You can tell the ones with African blood from the ones, straight Latin (Whites).
By the way Mary, what percentage would you say you're Black? And do you identify anyway with your African ancestry or just straight Puerto Rican?
I dated a Puerto Rican in college. I would have married her if she wasn't so fiercely violent when we get in an argument.
It's like I had to be on gaurd when I argue with her than the other way around. Im a Man. Smh. I've been stabbed with a broken beer bottle when I dared her to stab me with it one time.
I stood there and didn't raise my hand at her and dared her to do it. I knew she love me so I didn't think she would. But she tolldddd me!
She took that bottle, walked straight up to me and before I could think and react, she jam that sharp edge in my shoulder blaze.
Dropped the bottle and looked me dead in the eyes. No fear. Just fierce love in her own way. I thought to slap the living mess out of her but we were in my dorm and I didnt want to make a scene.
I looked her back in the eyes, disappointed she did it and just like that, she madly flung her arms around me and passionately tonguing each others out.
Dropped her a** in the bed like,'you gonna get it!' I told it up that night...or she tore me up, too. Haha.
lmfao that's insane man you got a dysfunctional relationship right there!

"You can tell the ones with African blood from the ones, straight Latin (Whites)."

No, you can't always tell a "black" person from a "white" person. I mean can you tell all the time AA's who are "pass for white" from whites? But they are still considered AA/black they are just "passing for white". I have an ancestor who looks like Laura Bush but on the census it says she is BLACK, not even a mulatto, but BLACK.

http://www.biography.com/imported/images/Biog...

laura bush^

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Genevieve11

Los Angeles, CA

#22 Oct 25, 2013
Mary_ M wrote:
<quoted text>
You can dig up as many ancestry you want, maybe many whites have a drop of black blood and they are still considered white. In zimmerman's case was kind of a racial clash. Unless you don't let know what kind of DNA you have people will judge on physical appearance.
mary, it's fine...you can pass for white spanish if you want (btw, you don't look spanish to ME)...just don't tell anyone you got african in you and bam! you're spanish, no sweat. If that's what you want to do. Just letting you know that as soon as you say well i'm puerto rican, AFRICAN native and spanish, people will be like "oh she black" in america. I mean yeah they will acknowlege that you're a mix just like the acknowledge that i'm mixed too (because we both look it), but if you admit to having black blood forget abt it. Just tellin you like it is.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why do you hate ]\[iggers? 2 hr Ihn 11
Other cultures and their traditional dress 2 hr Ihn 5
'Sperminator' many fathered 26 kids in Target ... 2 hr Tamale 25
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr USAsince1680 1,744,862
Turn in illegal aliens and businesses who hire ... 2 hr KIP 10
Upvote if.... 2 hr Tamale 5
U have to be naked to post on this thread 3 hr Tamale 12
Africa's Greatness ENRAGES the Alt-Right Haters... 5 hr Anonymous 58
"Demon possession" - Is it real? 6 hr THX Human Overlord 27
Troop, What Does White Pride Represent To You? 7 hr Barros 24