Real talk, why do black people have c...

Real talk, why do black people have crazy nick names

Posted in the African-American Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“reppin' dat 2up 2 down”

Since: Sep 07

Va

#1 Sep 27, 2008
I would just like to know this. All my cousins have nick names and I swear that to this day I have no idea what their real names are. One is nick named Booty Boot, the other one is nick named Whooshie, and the other is Boobie. I swear on Harriet Tubman's grave that I don't even know their real names.
My brother's friends have had crazy nick names like Beetle juice, Fo' Life, Critical, Man Man, Ace,Mike Mike, Turtle, Moc Moc and other crazy names. I just wanna know like why do we have these.
My name is Tiphany and everyone calls me Tip or sometimes they say TipTip.

“Yeah, I'm A Guy”

Level 1

Since: Sep 08

So What?

#2 Sep 27, 2008
QueenofTheNile wrote:
I would just like to know this. All my cousins have nick names and I swear that to this day I have no idea what their real names are. One is nick named Booty Boot, the other one is nick named Whooshie, and the other is Boobie. I swear on Harriet Tubman's grave that I don't even know their real names.
My brother's friends have had crazy nick names like Beetle juice, Fo' Life, Critical, Man Man, Ace,Mike Mike, Turtle, Moc Moc and other crazy names. I just wanna know like why do we have these.
I'm sorry but I was ROFL so hard at this. Some of these nicknames do need to stop because its getting out of hand. I have to admit that some are absolutely ridiculous. I kid you not, I was at a gas station a while back and this woman called her cousin "Stank". She said: "Come here Stank" and I was like, are you serious? But I can see where you are coming from. LOL!

“reppin' dat 2up 2 down”

Since: Sep 07

Va

#3 Sep 27, 2008
lilnita wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry but I was ROFL so hard at this. Some of these nicknames do need to stop because its getting out of hand. I have to admit that some are absolutely ridiculous. I kid you not, I was at a gas station a while back and this woman called her cousin "Stank". She said: "Come here Stank" and I was like, are you serious? But I can see where you are coming from. LOL!
Yeah lol, I've met people with really crazy names.

“Maryland Chic”

Since: Sep 08

Fort Washington Maryland

#4 Oct 1, 2008
Lmao I agree with you. I have some silly nicknames within my family too. Sometimes when I'm out I'll here like the CRAZIEST nicknames, and of course they have to be the loudest ones yelling the most ridiculous nickname lol. Some nick names are given because of the person's real name (such as yours), but other nicknames are totally ludicrous lol...I'm like "Ok, where did that come from? How did they get that crazy nickname?" LoL
Amanda

Cheshire, CT

#5 Nov 2, 2008
wow u guys are hos
DUSTIN

Adel, GA

#6 Jan 28, 2009
I'VE ALWAYS HEARD THAT BLACK FOLKS NICK NAMES WERE NAMED AFTER THEIR AFFLICTION LIKE BLACK WOULD BE REAL BLACK AND RED WOULD BE BRIGHT SKINNED, HIGH STEP HAS A SPECIAL MADE BOOT TO CORRECT ONE LEG BEING TOO SHORT. SIX- NINE IS WAY TOO TALL. ETC.

“Timbaland ft. JTimb- Carry out”

Since: Oct 08

Houston Texas!! From Houston

#8 Jan 28, 2009
Lmao@ the beetle juice nick name. Wow. These names are funny. I heard that this guy was named "spook" which is funny. In my culture they have the funniest nick names.
ope

Plano, TX

#11 Nov 1, 2009
my cousin got 9 kids. teetee, deedee. tutu, dinky, peanut, dayday, rocky, dugga, and niney.
teebaby

Battle Creek, MI

#12 Dec 2, 2009
ope wrote:
my cousin got 9 kids. teetee, deedee. tutu, dinky, peanut, dayday, rocky, dugga, and niney.
okay...lol.lol. ur cousin is on the right track. you know that your kids can get on your nerves so bad that they make you forget what the hell you actually named them.lol.lol.
darryl1913

Chicago, IL

#13 Dec 6, 2009
Black people is crazy my cousin name is pekechu my name is bussy my other cousin name is rakwon this stuff is crazy and gotta. Stop

“Das raht!”

Level 3

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#14 Dec 6, 2009
Nicknames are fun and are usually from something about that person at one time, and it just ended up sounding good.

Level 2

Since: Jul 07

Jamaica Queens, New York

#15 Dec 6, 2009
QueenofTheNile wrote:
I know a teo Boobies and I can't think of their real names either. It doesn't really matter though, are black supposed to have simple nick names? Blacks just can't seen to do anything right in some people's eyes. Its ok for a million puerto ricans to be nick named flaco but its not ok for a brother to be called Boobie or mike mike?
Taylor

Sun City Center, FL

#16 Dec 27, 2009
My dad call's me yodie and he call's my brother boo boo boy ya it's really embarassing when i'm on speaker phone and he's like "hey yodie watcha doin" i'm like ohh myy goooddd...... he said when i was little he use to say yodie and i would jump around in my high chair gosh dad.
unknown

Columbus, GA

#17 Dec 27, 2009
QueenofTheNile wrote:
You ain't neva lied!We good about giving each other goofy ... nicknames!LOL! I was the innocent victim of several myself.
dan

Hilmar, CA

#18 Dec 27, 2009
QueenofTheNile wrote:
must be from the bhill of wv or cal.
Oneithros

Washington, DC

#19 Jan 5, 2010
Funny

I have to agree; I understand the artist name, such as "Secret," "Justice" or "Righteous" (these are poets) or Singers, such as "Lil Wayne" or "Snoop Dog."

A lot of people have these names for no reason though; how do I take a working stiff named "Thunder" seriously? or a girl named "Princess" [her phone number almost immediately deleted]

Ideologically, it could be because people want to break whatever restraints have been imposed on them by society at large, but most people cannot name a single reason for their nicknames having no relation to their real names.

Gotta stop. I like knowing the name of the person I'm talking to not an image he or she wants to evoke.
Braids

Grand Prairie, TX

#20 Jan 5, 2010
Because they fcking want to.
unknown

Columbus, GA

#21 Jan 20, 2010
Braids wrote:
Because they fcking want to.
Yep.
Chris ouellette

AOL

#22 Jun 10, 2010
mookie is the best ive heard lol
Andrei

Ottawa, Canada

#23 Jul 15, 2010
I think it's ridiculous... We're just giving other races an excuse to laugh at us. I met a guy whose friends all called him "Little Boobie". Like, what is that? Just use your real name... If you filled out a job application, would you write "Little Boobie" as your name?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Black Men Are Superior To White Get Over It A... (Oct '08) 8 min JScoobySnax 466
Small Blk State Trooper overpowers large white boy 9 min Gremlin 12
News African-Americans should start voting for Repub... 9 min Go Blue Forever 305
I'm obsessed with black women. (Nov '10) 11 min Jax 33
Africans discovered the AMERICA before Columbus! (Jan '12) 21 min Moses 7,982
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 28 min Moses 46,549
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 40 min Grey Ghost 1,395,960
Mudshark and c00n on Judge Judy. 1 hr ugly monkeys 31
Eurafrica 2 hr Moses 62
I need proof that the Ancient Egyptians Were No... (Oct '07) 4 hr thetruth 32,685
5 stabbed @ white nationalist trump rally 5 hr Moses 114
More from around the web