Where Do African-American Girls Names Come From?

Posted in the African-American Forum

Voice of Reason

Houston, TX

#1 Apr 27, 2011
I work with many people from Africa they have names that we cannot even pronounce. They just seem like a jumbled up letters, yet they all mean something. Many times my Nigerian friends will dissect an African name and tell us what it means.

However I asked them what the names that many African-American girls have mean and they say they are not African names they are just made up.

So why do people call their daughters Tranecia, Shanequia etc when they are just made up names? They can call them whatever they want but they try and say they are African names and they want to go back to their roots, but they clearly are not.
Sean Coonery

Nuneaton, UK

#2 Apr 27, 2011
they don´t even know where Africa is. Most think it´s
¨some country, in Egypt an shit¨. these names were really first meant to be ¨classy¨, by adding LE and DE and LA to give a French look. Then they used words that LOOK good but they do´t know what they mean - so we get LaVagina and Placenta and other stupid names.
bee

Grand Rapids, MI

#3 Mar 31, 2012
Sean Coonery wrote:
they don´t even know where Africa is. Most think it´s
¨some country, in Egypt an shit¨. these names were really first meant to be ¨classy¨, by adding LE and DE and LA to give a French look. Then they used words that LOOK good but they do´t know what they mean - so we get LaVagina and Placenta and other stupid names.
Nobody has every named their child that, quit being a jerk.
Black Deal

Humble, TX

#4 Mar 31, 2012
Voice of Reason wrote:
I work with many people from Africa they have names that we cannot even pronounce. They just seem like a jumbled up letters, yet they all mean something. Many times my Nigerian friends will dissect an African name and tell us what it means.
However I asked them what the names that many African-American girls have mean and they say they are not African names they are just made up.
So why do people call their daughters Tranecia, Shanequia etc when they are just made up names? They can call them whatever they want but they try and say they are African names and they want to go back to their roots, but they clearly are not.
Same place where black boys get their names from

So you aint saying much
Double D

Annandale, VA

#5 Jan 30, 2013
Shaniqua comes from the the name Shannon. Latoya comes from the name Tonya. Most of the names are variations of other names. LeBron is probably from Byron.
felix

San Jose, CA

#6 Jan 30, 2013
Becky means dick sucker since birth.

Level 2

Since: Jan 13

Monterey, CA

#7 Jan 30, 2013
My illegitimate sisters name is Sancowanna maybe that is Native American?

I met a girl at school and her name was Latrice which is a fine name and I complimented her on it but it always makes me think of Latrine...:(

You might run into a shiniqua, shenaenae, marquita

My mexican friends moms name is Yolonda and I was like bro your mom has a black name yo...

Anyway... I think that the names are good because that way the government knows who to send the food stamps to... If you have any extras I need some more...

“Head Bish”

Level 2

Location hidden

#8 Jan 31, 2013
Actually, most of these names are of European origin.
Look at Polish names for example and Russian and you'll see the similarities.
Voice of Reason wrote:

Level 2

Monterey, CA

#9 Feb 5, 2013
I think it is like the lottery where they just put letters into a tumbler and whatever comes out is what the name is...

“100%”

Level 8

Since: Jan 10

United States

#10 Feb 5, 2013
All names are made up to an extent. If you look up the origins of ur name, it most likely derived from another word.
PaperPerson

Akron, OH

#11 Feb 5, 2013
The answer is nobody knows.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 9 min African AE 98,573
are white people getting sick of black crime? (Mar '08) 11 min Masud_S_Hoghughi__ 13
Latina women/Black men (Feb '13) 16 min Drilling for the ... 27
Merry Christmas Topix Fam!!! 21 min CIGAR FACE 5
Hookers say "Sorry no black men" I think that's... (Oct '09) 25 min Bychance37 226
Idris Elba the BLACK JAMES BOND? (Oct '11) 33 min Hugh Janus 13
Black Americans Are TRAPPED in Racist USA. (fro... 38 min Bigsmoke 38
When China awakes, it will shake the West 59 min Bigsmoke 76
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 3 hr Glimmer 28,908
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 hr johnplustwomore 1,155,536
2 NYPD MURDERED on behalf of Eric GARNER 4 hr Uh Huh 587
More from around the web