Difference between Northern vs. Southern blacks

Posted in the African-American Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of156
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Robbie J

Pipestone, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Aug 16, 2007
 
Hey man. About time you got another thread going. As you can see, I'm from wayyyy north. Do you think that there would be all that much of a difference between you and me?

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Phillyburbs

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Aug 16, 2007
 

Judged:

2

Personally, I LOVE the South. I prefer slower-paced environments. I want to eventually move down south. I live in the Philly area, and HATE IT. I believe that people down south are friendlier than folks up north. Yet, I don't think it's based on the individual. Southern communities seem really close-knit. Also, people up north aren't necessarily unfriendly, just distant. Yes, I do think there's a difference between the north and south. I know people who lived up north and moved south. They hated the south and quickly moved back up north. It takes a certain kind of person to live in certain parts of the south. It's like a CULTURE SHOCK...

“REVOLUTION”

Since: Jun 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Aug 16, 2007
 
yourfav721 wrote:
this is a thread where people can post the differences between northern and southern blacks in the USA through personal observation.(of course there is the West too, but this is about north v. south) i know many northern blacks come to college in the South, to attend HBCUs and experience a culture shock lol..JET mag did an article on this subject several years ago and thought it was interesting. or is there a difference?
what up GA !! i moved down there in 02 actually to stn mtn i stayed for 2 years i really enjoyed it the job situation was a little slow at the time beautiful state plan on moving back there in the future. but to stay on point what i noticed was young black people that were very focused on doing something. i got cousins there under 30 with their own houses not to put my city down by no means but you see more people focused in the south thats just the vibe i got.

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Phillyburbs

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Aug 16, 2007
 
Robbie J wrote:
Hey man. About time you got another thread going. As you can see, I'm from wayyyy north. Do you think that there would be all that much of a difference between you and me?
It would depend???
Mike

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Aug 16, 2007
 
I am willing to bet that the owners of these campus that were involved in thisfraud are white not black

~~~~~~~~~~
Pentagon Paid $998,798 to Ship Two 19-Cent Washers

Tony CapaccioThu Aug 16, 12:52 PM ET

Aug. 16 (Bloomberg)-- A small South Carolina parts supplier collected about $20.5 million over six years from the Pentagon for fraudulent shipping costs, including $998,798 for sending two 19-cent washers to a Texas base, U.S. officials said.

The company also billed and was paid $455,009 to ship three machine screws costing $1.31 each to Marines in Habbaniyah, Iraq, and $293,451 to ship an 89-cent split washer to Patrick Air Force Base in Cape Canaveral, Florida, Pentagon records show.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/20070816/pl...
Robbie J

Pipestone, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Aug 16, 2007
 
Knoxxie wrote:
<quoted text>
It would depend???
Hey Knoxxie. I was trying to figure out yourfav721's angle on this. Things tend to get a little to general in this forum, you know? But after reading Chi Town's post, he definately pointed out a difference. He was saying that his cousins owned their homes, and the focus behind it. That is certainly not the case up here. Not like it is in Georgia anyway.

“Nani O Mitendayo????”

Level 1

Since: Jul 07

Brooklyn

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Aug 16, 2007
 
Mike wrote:
I am willing to bet that the owners of these campus that were involved in thisfraud are white not black
~~~~~~~~~~
Pentagon Paid $998,798 to Ship Two 19-Cent Washers
Tony CapaccioThu Aug 16, 12:52 PM ET
Aug. 16 (Bloomberg)-- A small South Carolina parts supplier collected about $20.5 million over six years from the Pentagon for fraudulent shipping costs, including $998,798 for sending two 19-cent washers to a Texas base, U.S. officials said.
The company also billed and was paid $455,009 to ship three machine screws costing $1.31 each to Marines in Habbaniyah, Iraq, and $293,451 to ship an 89-cent split washer to Patrick Air Force Base in Cape Canaveral, Florida, Pentagon records show.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/20070816/pl...
By washer, they mean the flat, coin-like metal piece that goes over the screw to protect the machinery...? If that's the case, the military should've just went to Home Depot.
canadiangirly

Worcester, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Aug 16, 2007
 
we all know southern hospitality is only a myth

Since: Aug 07

Atlanta

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Aug 17, 2007
 
the south is for black people. Pretty ironic huh? Collectively its where we have the most voice.

Level 1

Since: Apr 07

Austin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Aug 17, 2007
 

Judged:

2

2

1

i love the SOUTH!! the food music culture! RODEO!!! i live in sugar land, texas and ppl here are friendly. and we're all very close. but a lot of ppl from the north east and mid west are moving to texas and bring their much different lifestyle here.
but ppl in alabama &mississippi are weird. its like they refuse grow and full of racist and dumb ppl.
when i get married i want to marry a man from the north or another country. black men here in the south are too ghetto or fat.
Sugar Land is #3 in america!

“Fabulosity at its BEST”

Since: Aug 07

Washington DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Aug 17, 2007
 
yourfav721 wrote:
<quoted text>
lol djhixx...so djhixx says people in South are less healthier maybe, or bigger compared to people in South. thats one. maybe its the good soul food. djhixx are you originally from texas?
I am a proud Washingtonian! I was born and raised in D.C..Love D.C. with all my heart, but I am kind of tired of City life. Everything is so fast. Sometimes I really feel like I never sit still! I wouldnt mind moving down to H-Town! Thats where my Dad's is from and all his family. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Houston. Do I love it more than DC? HELL 2 THA YEAH!!!! I would leave at the drop of a dyme! I have been thinking about it for a while.

Level 1

Since: Apr 07

Austin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Aug 17, 2007
 

Judged:

2

1

1

um duh!! whites hispanics blacks and even asians are huge! most of the healthest states are not located in the south. phili up north is bad too
where else am i from? tennesse? yeah right! i was born and raised here in southern houston where its has the wealthiest of black texans.
and please, keep southern rap in atlanta and away from houston
thanks

“Fabulosity at its BEST”

Since: Aug 07

Washington DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Aug 17, 2007
 

Judged:

1

1

I didnt tell the difference. Sorry, Its Friday and I am on phonics. Yes, the most obvious difference is how kind people are. Even guys in the south are gentleman. Southern people possess this warmth, and friendliness that us northerners dont have. We always have our guards up, so its always tense. Another thing about Northerners, we love to talk about each other. I dont know why...but we do. Everything in the North is more expensive, so yeah we make more money, or have more money. But you get MORE for your money in the South. Its sad to say, but in D.C. you cant even get a 2BR condo under $220K! Thats what I dont understand. I paid,$452K for my TOWNHOUSE! If I take that to H-Town, OH BOY!!! BALLIN' is that I can say! I will be living in a gated property probably with about 1acre of land, a pool, a tennis court and about 4BR 2FB house! Now as far as food...NO COMPARISON.. The south got that on LOCK! HANDS DOWN! If I stayed in the south I would probably be 20lbs heavier!..LOL

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Phillyburbs

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Aug 17, 2007
 
djhixx wrote:
um duh!! whites hispanics blacks and even asians are huge! most of the healthest states are not located in the south. phili up north is bad too
where else am i from? tennesse? yeah right! i was born and raised here in southern houston where its has the wealthiest of black texans.
and please, keep southern rap in atlanta and away from houston
thanks
I want to move to Tennessee...

I've got to get away from PHILADELPHIA...this is no longer the CITY OF BROTHERLY LOVE...LOL!!!

“Red doesn't exist In my world”

Level 1

Since: Jul 07

D.C.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Aug 17, 2007
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Teah there is a difference. That's why i love goin to NC every once in a while. The atmosphere is great. People are more laid back down there unlike the hustle and bustle of the District. And i'm with you CoCo! I'd way a lot more that 200lbs if i was livin down there! I'll wake up at the crack of dawn just to get to the Waffle House ooha and i definately cant forget the Cracker Barrel! They'll overfeed ya down there!

“Red doesn't exist In my world”

Level 1

Since: Jul 07

D.C.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Aug 17, 2007
 
For Teah I meant Yeah!

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Phillyburbs

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Aug 17, 2007
 
CoCosilk wrote:
I didnt tell the difference. Sorry, Its Friday and I am on phonics. Yes, the most obvious difference is how kind people are. Even guys in the south are gentleman. Southern people possess this warmth, and friendliness that us northerners dont have. We always have our guards up, so its always tense. Another thing about Northerners, we love to talk about each other. I dont know why...but we do. Everything in the North is more expensive, so yeah we make more money, or have more money. But you get MORE for your money in the South. Its sad to say, but in D.C. you cant even get a 2BR condo under $220K! Thats what I dont understand. I paid,$452K for my TOWNHOUSE! If I take that to H-Town, OH BOY!!! BALLIN' is that I can say! I will be living in a gated property probably with about 1acre of land, a pool, a tennis court and about 4BR 2FB house! Now as far as food...NO COMPARISON.. The south got that on LOCK! HANDS DOWN! If I stayed in the south I would probably be 20lbs heavier!..LOL
I thought about moving to DC, but the cost of living is too expensive. I don't see how people are surviving in that area...??? Well, no, let me correct myself. Some people live in the country areas, right? But, that's got to be one LONG COMMUTE into the city...

Level 1

Since: Apr 07

Austin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Aug 17, 2007
 

Judged:

1

1

1

yourfav721 wrote:
<quoted text>
:)... djhixx are you single?
-_-...why?

Level 1

Since: Apr 07

Austin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Aug 17, 2007
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Knoxxie wrote:
<quoted text>
I want to move to Tennessee...
I've got to get away from PHILADELPHIA...this is no longer the CITY OF BROTHERLY LOVE...LOL!!!
my god mother lives in memphis. phili just isn't the same

“Fabulosity at its BEST”

Since: Aug 07

Washington DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Aug 17, 2007
 
Knoxxie wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought about moving to DC, but the cost of living is too expensive. I don't see how people are surviving in that area...??? Well, no, let me correct myself. Some people live in the country areas, right? But, that's got to be one LONG COMMUTE into the city...
OMG D.C. Metro area is unbelievable. YES YES YES, the houses that are in MD or VA that are considered "Suburbian" or more Rural are STILL very very overpriced. And yes the commute is rediculous! My parents stay in Stafford VA. They have a very very nice house (its their retirement home) They still spent $400K and have 4br 3baths, a pool, and maybe just under a half acre of land. Their commute to D.C. is about 1hr.(1hr and 1/2 in traffic) It pisses me off that my Townhouse cost more than their house!...Just because I live in the city. Traffic here is a disaster 7days a week too! Not that D.C. wouldnt welcome you, So I hope I am not discouraging you, but just let me tell you...try somewhere else first. Its my mission to leave the area in the next 2-3yrs!(Maybe I will be married by then)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of156
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••