Africans Sold Blacks Into Slavery...

Posted in the African-American Forum

First Prev
of 66
Next Last
B-MAL

Secaucus, NJ

#2 May 21, 2008
Lol,how in the hell did all of Africans sell blacks in to slavery when all of diaspora blacks are mainly from west Africa?

You can not generalize all of Africans that way.

You people get so offended when someone disrespects whites but have absolutely no problem at all with offending your own race which whether you like it or not is black Africans.

And some were sold,some were stolen, some were traded,some were tricked.

“My Great Grandmother”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#3 May 21, 2008
There is a lot to understand here. I know that in Africa they once called servants 'slaves'. When the white man came he offered a price to them and assured the African sellers that they were taking their tribe members to a 'paradise'. They naively believed them. They had no idea that this mess was going to happen!
Cushitic PrincesS

Odense, Denmark

#4 May 21, 2008
Correction West and Central Africans sold their people. Dont say Africans because there are many Africans who fall under that category and arent from the same tribes as you ancestors or the people who "sold Blacks".

“Educated black woman”

Since: Apr 08

Aswan

#5 May 21, 2008
According to Dr. Yoseph ben , there is only one African on record for selling blacks into slavery.

According to the good doctor, the whole blacks selling blacks is blown out of context.

Since: Nov 07

Mama Somalia

#6 May 21, 2008
B-MAL wrote:
Lol,how in the hell did all of Africans sell blacks in to slavery when all of diaspora blacks are mainly from west Africa?
You people get so offended when someone disrespects whites but have absolutely no problem at all with offending your own race which whether you like it or not is black Africans.
Well said.....
Akhirah

Saudi Arabia

#7 May 21, 2008
Cushitic PrincesS wrote:
Correction West and Central Africans sold their people. Dont say Africans because there are many Africans who fall under that category and arent from the same tribes as you ancestors or the people who "sold Blacks".
Correction, East African also sold other Africans into slavery . The Arab slave trade was the first slave trade into Africa. Arabs arenít native to Africa slavery helped us gain territory through out Africa.

Mama Somalia

#9 May 21, 2008
Akhirah wrote:
<quoted text>
Correction, East African also sold other Africans into slavery . The Arab slave trade was the first slave trade into Africa. Arabs arenít native to Africa slavery helped us gain territory through out Africa.
The East Africans who did that was Bantus and not from the region I am from so I am right.

Mama Somalia

#12 May 21, 2008
Akhirah wrote:
<quoted text>
I forget to add that this thread is about teh Atlantic slavetrade. Peace..

Mama Somalia

#14 May 21, 2008
Ariel wrote:
<quoted text>
Um. Okay.Sorry for offending you are your people.
ALSO I was questioning the selling of blacks.
Not offended at all. Just adding to you post :)

“My Great Grandmother”

Location hidden

#15 May 21, 2008
Ariel wrote:
<quoted text>
So the Africans then were stupid? I heard they were brilliant...
All races had slavery at some point...
ABSOLUTELY NOT! Gullible? Yes. They had not been yet introduced to the european concept of 'divide and conquer'.... smile in your face with a knife in your back... that type of western thinking that we know too well from living here with them...

“To Thine Own Self Be True”

Level 2

Since: May 08

Boston, MA

#17 May 22, 2008
B-MAL wrote:
"You cannot generalize all Africans in that way."

Clarity.

Now see if you can apply the same reasoning to white people.

“To Thine Own Self Be True”

Level 2

Boston, MA

#18 May 22, 2008
But how do millions of people get sold into slavery over thousands of years?

That is the perplexing question about Africa.

And it still exists there today!

It is a continent that has imploded from the inside which let the outside world finish the job.

Sad, really, that nobody fought back effectively.

“Well”

AOL

#19 May 22, 2008
My Ancestors didnt sell me, I road over here and boat.

“Well”

AOL

#20 May 22, 2008
^^Correction, on a boat.

“Too tired for a clever slogan”

Nowheresville, IN

#21 May 22, 2008
Ariel wrote:
I'm just throwing it out there.
Africans sold Blacks to Whites?...
Pretty simple to me.Why make excuses?No one made excuses for the white man and I'm not suggesting that we do.
I'd just like to see a lil' bit of anger about that situation. No one ever even taught this is school.
Some say that they were "tricked". That would mean that the Africans back then were not too bright.
When the arguement is brought up that the Africans could SEE the blacks going onto clearly CRAMPED boats, it is dismissed because "maybe they were not by the water" ONE OF EM HAD TO GO SEE! Shoot.I'd go see...
I thought, I try to think, that the Africans were outnumbered, they were defenseless against whites.
Then this came up: Maybe the Africans were selling and trading their tribes enemies. Colourism was alive and well then and sure enough, they might have been selling the bad ones...
http://www.rootswomen.com/ayanna/articles/100...
Then I think, how many bad ones could their be?
Well their were a lot of tribes though, Africa is big...So maybe...I don't know...Maybe that's what happened. It's not nearly as bad as the other ideas.
The first thing you have to understand is that African slavery back then was much different than what American slavery turned out to be.

The Africans did not have jails at that time, so to make a criminal pay for what he'd done, the criminal would go and live with the family he wronged, and be their unpaid worker. The "slave" would do work and be their servant for a period of time, until the debt was repaid, and then he/she'd be released. They lived with the family, and were given proper food. This slavery was FAR different from American slavery.

When the Africans sold the other Africans into slavery, they were under the impression that after these people's debts were paid for what they did wrong they would be let go...that's WHY they sold them. They had no idea that they'd be enslaved for that long and so horribly treated, beat, and have those living conditions. They WERE tricked, because they were told that the slaves would have the same conditions as slaves in Africa. Basically prisoners...even though they had no intention of keeping their word on that.

When people say "Africans sold other Africans into slavery," they are doing so under the realization that many are ignorant to the fact that these Africans didn't know what they were really doing, because they trusted the people they sold them to. So no, no anger is due towards the Africans who sold them.

“My Great Grandmother”

Location hidden

#22 May 22, 2008
Afreakinqueen wrote:
<quoted text>
The first thing you have to understand is that African slavery back then was much different than what American slavery turned out to be.
The Africans did not have jails at that time, so to make a criminal pay for what he'd done, the criminal would go and live with the family he wronged, and be their unpaid worker. The "slave" would do work and be their servant for a period of time, until the debt was repaid, and then he/she'd be released. They lived with the family, and were given proper food. This slavery was FAR different from American slavery.
When the Africans sold the other Africans into slavery, they were under the impression that after these people's debts were paid for what they did wrong they would be let go...that's WHY they sold them. They had no idea that they'd be enslaved for that long and so horribly treated, beat, and have those living conditions. They WERE tricked, because they were told that the slaves would have the same conditions as slaves in Africa. Basically prisoners...even though they had no intention of keeping their word on that.
When people say "Africans sold other Africans into slavery," they are doing so under the realization that many are ignorant to the fact that these Africans didn't know what they were really doing, because they trusted the people they sold them to. So no, no anger is due towards the Africans who sold them.
strongest bump :))))))))

CONTINUE TO EDUCATE MY PPL WHO SEEM A LITTLE BRAINWASHED!

MOVE THE NATION FORWARD!

“Too tired for a clever slogan”

Nowheresville, IN

#24 May 22, 2008
lovable1 wrote:
<quoted text>
strongest bump :))))))))
CONTINUE TO EDUCATE MY PPL WHO SEEM A LITTLE BRAINWASHED!
MOVE THE NATION FORWARD!
Thank you. And in addition, I realized I left some stuff out:

Another thing is that if a family with a slave owed another family a debt, they could give them their slave to have for the remainder of that slaves time, or until the debt was paid off (whichever came first). The slaves could also be used as a form of payment, not for debts, but more like a trade. So the Africans had been selling and trading the slaves long before the white men came along and tricked them, but once again...under the understanding that the slave would be let free once his/her debt was paid.

A slave's sentence could also be reduced if he/she "got in real good" with the family. Some families would grow to like the slave so much, that they'd call it even early and let the slave go free. Often, the slaves and the families would become so close that a slave would be allowed to marry a member of the family. A lot of the slaves were also just accepted as members of the families, and continued living there as a family member after their time was served.

One last thing, a man and his whole family could become the "property" of another family because of a debt the man owed. But again, they would all be let free after that period of time was up. Also, they weren't split up...if the man was sent to another family as their slave, usually his whole family would go (and I say usually because sometimes the wives would remarry into the family they were staying with).

And I don't know what WE can be mad at now. None of us went through slavery, and those people are long gone now.

Windhoek, Namibia

#25 May 22, 2008
Africans sold blacks into slavery

LOL

Slavery never benefited the black communities back then, It was business between the chief and the slave traders...150 years on,the evolution of slaves did benefit the black race to an EXTENT but their grandchildren still want to blame us all because the chief made a decision that could of benefited the whole black race...

You cant be that bitter,blame the chiefs (if you know their name,you are so quick to generalize) not the whole of Africa and you think the chief did not sell his daughters and sons? Do you think that the chief wanted to rid of his people because he was tired of their lazyness?
Blame it on white man for corrupting your brain,we had SHIT to do with slavery,it was the CHIEF n the white SLAVE TRADERS
TheBlackEpictetu s

Charleston, WV

#26 May 22, 2008
Ariel wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe they TRADED? For guns and things?
I really would like to know more about how we ended up over here...
Mainly rum. Most of our ancestors were kidnapped and brought to the "new world". This "your people sold you into slavery" phenomenon is an overly exacerbated rationalization for colonizing and enslaving Africans.
Nebet Nefiru

Syosset, NY

#27 May 22, 2008
yeah many of them did, back then it wasnt about black and white, it was about tribal warfare, power greed, many were prisoners of wars . the white men had something they wanted in exchange, slavery had already existed on the continent before they came, so.. there were also many african rulers who saw how detriment that slavery was and tried to stop it, but at that time they were basically powerless to do so.

im not excusing their role in it, not in any fashion, but it doesnt change the fact white people created the demand and then took many millions of people overseas.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 66
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are Puerto Ricans white? (Nov '07) 6 min Crianna 5,913
Mr. Brown 7 min TheXFactor 103
Most of our ancestors didnt come on slaveships? (Sep '10) 13 min African AE 1,297
HATING EUROPE? Do American Whites Despise their... (Oct '09) 23 min Walter Henrickson 1,341
Many HISPANICS think they're WHITE 23 min justhefacts 172
17 yr old Black kid lynched for dating white woman 29 min Harrisson 344
Why do blacks claim to be the true Israelites? ... (May '11) 44 min African AE 7,683
Why do WM have all the women, power, prestige, ... 2 hr Redefined 98
Ferguson Grand Jury and History 4 hr Talk sense 146

African-American People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE