Posted in the African-American Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Level 1

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#1 Jan 2, 2014
Ok Guys! This thread is for all my lovely natural curly, wavy, coily, kinky-haired individuals. You can rant or rave about products you love or hate, post links to your favorite hair guru's/ crushes/ inspirations, pose questions, or be a big brother/sister to those who are new to the game. Basically, it's the everything thread for you to let loose and discuss all things related to natural hair.

Level 1

Location hidden

#2 Jan 2, 2014
I stopped relaxing my hair in 2011 and slowly transitioned for a year and a half before cutting off my relaxed ends. 2013 began with me officially being natural and using the Curly Girl method to maintain my locks. The products have changed, but my routine is pretty similar, minus a change up with shampooing. Now I'm doing it once a week and co-washing twice a week. I lead a pretty active lifestyle so this fits in accordance with it. Sulfates do not bother me or my coils as long as the formula is mild, so I'm a modified CG. But I avoid cones and mineral oil like the plague.

Here's my routine and the rotation...
SHAMPOO: Curly Sexy Hair (1x a week)
CO-WASH: Nubian Heritage Indian Hemp and Tamanu co-wash, VO5 Moisture Milks Strawberries & Cream (1-2x a wee)
CONDITIONER: TIGI Bedhead Moisture Maniacs, Tresemme Naturals
DEEP TREATMENT: Shea Moisture deep treatment masque w/ honey and olive oil

To seal in moisture and keep my 4a-c range hair in tact I use the
(L.O.C. or L.C. O. method). LEAVE-IN: Keracare Natural Textures leave in conditioner + CREAM: Keracare Natural Textures Buttercream
OIL: Sweet Almond (very light) or Olive Oil

For styling I opt for Eco styling gels, As I Am Twist defining pudding, AS I Am smoothing gel, and a host of Jane Carter products.

In my arsenal there's Giovanni smooth as silk shampoo and conditioner + Trader Joe' Tea Tree Tingle conditioner (scalp) and Nourish Spa conditioner (hair) for co-washing. I bought these after hearing rave reviews about them, but have yet to put them to the test.
Level 1

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#3 Jan 2, 2014
Good thread!! I have been perm free for 5 years and I don't miss them. My hair is the healthiest and thickest it has ever been. The only issue I'm having is that my hear is wavy at the roots and the rest is curly. I love my curly hair but shrinkage is an issue. I'm not sure what to use for that.

Level 1

Location hidden

#4 Jan 2, 2014
realitee wrote:
Good thread!! I have been perm free for 5 years and I don't miss them. My hair is the healthiest and thickest it has ever been. The only issue I'm having is that my hear is wavy at the roots and the rest is curly. I love my curly hair but shrinkage is an issue. I'm not sure what to use for that.
Hey realitee welcome and I hope you make yourself at home! First let me start off by saying girl I feel you!:-) My hair does what it wants to do curl wise. That whole classification thing (4a, 3b, 2c) don't even really work for me, but I use it to give people an idea what I'm working with. lol

I also have shrinkage, major shrinkage. But it comes with the territory of being a curly/ coily head.We wouldn't have our precious texture without it! I don't even fight it, but I do help my hair out a bit when I do wash and go's by finger coiling with eco styler gel. This is what I primarily do with my 4c hair. That section shrinks up like 75%. The finger coiling at least helps maintain some definition instead of it shriveling into a little puff. Not the look I'm going for when the rest of my hair is coiling and doing its own thing.

Here's a few vid's that might help you out.

Shidanatural uses the smoothing technique to help elongate her coils. Over time this process does help. My hair is much shorter than hers but I still smooth the gel over my hair in the same fashion.

You can also take your blowdryer (on medium heat) and hit those roots. Alicia James shows how she stretches her hair to elongate her coils.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

I hope these vids help.

Level 1

Location hidden

#5 Jan 2, 2014
realitee wrote:
I have been perm free for 5 years and I don't miss them.
Oh, forgot to address this. Let me just say, my edges are thanking me.:-)
tga

Barnesville, OH

#6 Jan 2, 2014
Wash .... Rinse....Dry.......Style.

SMH

Level 1

Location hidden

#7 Jan 2, 2014
@ realitee

If you want to enjoy some of your length, you can also opt for twist outs so your hair stays stretched more than it would with a wash n go.

And let's set the record straight! 4 range hair can rock a wash and go without it shriveling into a hot mess. It's half the gel or product you use and half technique.

1. Make sure you are finger detangling your coif. Combs and brushes separate coils into individual hairs promoting frizz. You also need your hair to clump or else you end up with a bird's nest when the gel dries.

2. SM-O-O-OTH the gel over a section of your hair from root to tip. If you use instant conditioners as your leave in ( some curlies swear by I but I don't recommend it unless instructions say otherwise), Eco styling gels may not play well with the product. You could end up with beads of conditioner that look like tiny white fuzz balls in your hair. Instead use Herbal Essence set me up gel (has alcohol but does not dry out my hair) or totally twisted. They seem to work fine with instant conditioners.

3. Make sure your hair is properly conditioned underneath. I use butters and oils to help maintain my coils underneath gel. and apply the products while your hair is damp not soaking wet.

Level 1

Location hidden

#8 Jan 2, 2014
Sorry! Here's a twist out vid b Mahogany Curls. This girl has perfected the method.

I use As I Am twisting pudding or Jane Carters curl defining cream in lieu of Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie.

Level 1

Location hidden

#9 Jan 2, 2014
And for my curlies with shorter hair who want to minimize the shrinkage, here are some other techniques.

http://www.naturalhairrules.com/preventing-sh...

Level 1

Location hidden

#10 Jan 2, 2014
tga wrote:
SMH
Okay, that's cool! That's what we all do in a nut shell.

What's the SMH for?:/

Level 1

Location hidden

#11 Jan 2, 2014
tga wrote:
SMH
Are you going to start psycho analyzing why some people don't like shrinkage, twist their hair, etc..?-_-

It doesn't bother me as long as my hair style looks like something. But for some people they may not be achieving the look they want. That's not for me OR YOU to be second or third-guessing why. I would rather help them achieve their look with happy healthy hair, then finger wave. Please keep that to a minimum on this thread.
The truth

Forest Park, GA

#12 Jan 2, 2014
Good thread.
Level 1

Location hidden

#13 Jan 3, 2014
NYChic wrote:
@ realitee

If you want to enjoy some of your length, you can also opt for twist outs so your hair stays stretched more than it would with a wash n go.

And let's set the record straight! 4 range hair can rock a wash and go without it shriveling into a hot mess. It's half the gel or product you use and half technique.

1. Make sure you are finger detangling your coif. Combs and brushes separate coils into individual hairs promoting frizz. You also need your hair to clump or else you end up with a bird's nest when the gel dries.

2. SM-O-O-OTH the gel over a section of your hair from root to tip. If you use instant conditioners as your leave in ( some curlies swear by I but I don't recommend it unless instructions say otherwise), Eco styling gels may not play well with the product. You could end up with beads of conditioner that look like tiny white fuzz balls in your hair. Instead use Herbal Essence set me up gel (has alcohol but does not dry out my hair) or totally twisted. They seem to work fine with instant conditioners.

3. Make sure your hair is properly conditioned underneath. I use butters and oils to help maintain my coils underneath gel. and apply the products while your hair is damp not soaking wet.
Ok I'll have to give it a try.

Level 1

Location hidden

#15 Jan 6, 2014
Need to update your hair routine for the winter? Check out these products spotlighted by naturallycurly.com

http://www.curlmart.com/winter-hair-products/...

Level 1

Location hidden

#16 Jan 6, 2014
realitee wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok I'll have to give it a try.
Great! Hope it works for you.

Location hidden

#17 Jan 6, 2014
NYChic wrote:
I stopped relaxing my hair in 2011 and slowly transitioned for a year and a half before cutting off my relaxed ends. 2013 began with me officially being natural and using the Curly Girl method to maintain my locks. The products have changed, but my routine is pretty similar, minus a change up with shampooing. Now I'm doing it once a week and co-washing twice a week. I lead a pretty active lifestyle so this fits in accordance with it. Sulfates do not bother me or my coils as long as the formula is mild, so I'm a modified CG. But I avoid cones and mineral oil like the plague.
Here's my routine and the rotation...
SHAMPOO: Curly Sexy Hair (1x a week)
CO-WASH: Nubian Heritage Indian Hemp and Tamanu co-wash, VO5 Moisture Milks Strawberries & Cream (1-2x a wee)
CONDITIONER: TIGI Bedhead Moisture Maniacs, Tresemme Naturals
DEEP TREATMENT: Shea Moisture deep treatment masque w/ honey and olive oil
To seal in moisture and keep my 4a-c range hair in tact I use the
(L.O.C. or L.C. O. method). LEAVE-IN: Keracare Natural Textures leave in conditioner + CREAM: Keracare Natural Textures Buttercream
OIL: Sweet Almond (very light) or Olive Oil
For styling I opt for Eco styling gels, As I Am Twist defining pudding, AS I Am smoothing gel, and a host of Jane Carter products.
In my arsenal there's Giovanni smooth as silk shampoo and conditioner + Trader Joe' Tea Tree Tingle conditioner (scalp) and Nourish Spa conditioner (hair) for co-washing. I bought these after hearing rave reviews about them, but have yet to put them to the test.
My routine...
My hair of thick, fast growing 3C grade curls/Spirals
I shampoo once a week with Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo.
I deep condition with pure organic Coconut oil mixed equally with Organic Manuka Honey under a shower cap for a couple of hours after shampooing.
I mix up African Pride's Shea Butter Miracle leave in conditioner with Shea Moisture's Curl Enhancing Smoothie and put that on my hair every morning. The African Pride product is good quality but on 2.99 while the Shea Moisture product is 12.99, so it works out more economical for me to mix them as it make the Shea Moisture Smoothie go further.
During the day I spray my hair with Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Hold and Moisture Mist. To keep my curls hydrated.

Location hidden

#18 Jan 6, 2014
NYChic wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey realitee welcome and I hope you make yourself at home! First let me start off by saying girl I feel you!:-) My hair does what it wants to do curl wise. That whole classification thing (4a, 3b, 2c) don't even really work for me, but I use it to give people an idea what I'm working with. lol
I also have shrinkage, major shrinkage. But it comes with the territory of being a curly/ coily head.We wouldn't have our precious texture without it! I don't even fight it, but I do help my hair out a bit when I do wash and go's by finger coiling with eco styler gel. This is what I primarily do with my 4c hair. That section shrinks up like 75%. The finger coiling at least helps maintain some definition instead of it shriveling into a little puff. Not the look I'm going for when the rest of my hair is coiling and doing its own thing.
Here's a few vid's that might help you out.
Shidanatural uses the smoothing technique to help elongate her coils. Over time this process does help. My hair is much shorter than hers but I still smooth the gel over my hair in the same fashion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =m0ZuiGf0W1wXX
You can also take your blowdryer (on medium heat) and hit those roots. Alicia James shows how she stretches her hair to elongate her coils.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
I hope these vids help.
I previously used Lustre's Pink on my hair and scalp, but my biracial daughter threw it in the garbage. She says I mustn't use it because it contains mineral oil :)

Level 1

Location hidden

#19 Jan 7, 2014
Shalimarr wrote:
<quoted text>
I previously used Lustre's Pink on my hair and scalp, but my biracial daughter threw it in the garbage. She says I mustn't use it because it contains mineral oil :)
Thanks Shalimarr! I like your routine. Very simple. Some people get discouraged when they go natural because they think they have to do more work. Once you get past the learning curve finding what works for your hair in its natural state, it should look something like your routine.

Kuddos to your daughter for spotting that dreaded mineral oil. lol I can't stand it in my products because it weighs my hair down and makes me have to shampoo more frequently. But some curlies swear by it. To each her own. It's just a matter of finding what works for your hair, even if it's a bad ingredient.

Level 1

Location hidden

#20 Jan 7, 2014
If anyone is struggling with moisture retention and suffering from dry hair, have a look at this article. " The 9 Most Ineffetive Ways to Moisturize Your Hair".

http://kinkycurlycoilyme.com/the-9-most-ineff...

Level 1

Location hidden

#21 Jan 7, 2014
lol @ the person logging in twice to judge spam and lemon ratings. Somebody must be bitter. Who could that be?:-D

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Honey Boo Boo show: Axed! 3 min DobySuckingMoMoDe... 12
Proof East Indian Women Don't Want BM 5 min Capree 56
Do you negros really think you are superior to ... 7 min Jubilant Sleep 4
Random thoughts... (Sep '07) 17 min selina london 80,422
Ferguson Grand Jury and History 20 min Stag_R_Lee 51
Is ISIS racist? 21 min The Irony 53
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 22 min Right 1,127,029
Mr. Brown 48 min The Irony 69
Why do blacks claim to be the true Israelites? ... (May '11) 1 hr African AE 7,655
Many HISPANICS think they're WHITE 1 hr Redefined 69
17 yr old Black kid lynched for dating white woman 3 hr buttheads 316

African-American People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE