Stop with the Ghetto Names!
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Since: May 08

Pompano Beach, FL

#2 May 17, 2008
Yea there real....
But its odd people with those types of names act crazy or you have to be real nice or all hell breaks loose. I read that you become your name meaning...the name Lotria for example means?

Even the bibel believed in this..I think people should name their kids that has a meaning...no offense.

“"Living life"”

Since: Oct 07

((Material Status))

#3 May 17, 2008
I agree Quannda, Shayneshia, Daneshia, Shequadia are ovbiously stupid names. Why would you curs your beautiful children with such idiotic names. Those are nothing but ghetto cheap never going to be nothing names. Shayneshia is going to have 4 kids each a different daddy. Quannda will be on the next 50cent video. Daneshia will be serving me my Wendys meal.

Stop giving your kids ghetto trashy names. Do you know someones name can atually predict their feature.

“My future husband!”

Level 1

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#4 May 17, 2008
I have a vice versa name..yeah its white...but my application(s) dont get thrown away like hot cakes.
I can't believe people really do that. They could've missed out on someone good for that position.

Pompano Beach, FL

#5 May 17, 2008
Bible I mean.

Pompano Beach, FL

#6 May 17, 2008
Number1Queen wrote:
I agree Quannda, Shayneshia, Daneshia, Shequadia are ovbiously stupid names. Why would you curs your beautiful children with such idiotic names. Those are nothing but ghetto cheap never going to be nothing names. Shayneshia is going to have 4 kids each a different daddy. Quannda will be on the next 50cent video. Daneshia will be serving me my Wendys meal.
Stop giving your kids ghetto trashy names. Do you know someones name can atually predict their feature.
So true!!

“My future husband!”

Level 1

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#8 May 17, 2008
Number1Queen wrote:
lolol yea, you really wont get any where. I knwo some people that have, but majority have'nt. its sad people get judge by their government names.

I have a friend her name is "Shanta" she act & sound jusssst like "Sheneneh" from Martin TV show...She sooo funny & loud....and dawg on ghetto.
YourMomsHole

Bridgetown, Barbados

#9 May 17, 2008
The way I see it, if there was nothing wrong with "ghetto" names there would be no reason be upset when called one.
I make fun of Danequa on a regular basis and lose no sleep over it.

“Shed so many tears”

Level 7

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#10 May 17, 2008
There just names, that's it!

“You're gonna say it anyway....”

Since: Jan 08

I'm over it!

#11 May 17, 2008
One of my favorites is MELONESE....Maybe her mom had a fruit fetish. Who knows?

Level 8

Pacific Northwest

#12 May 17, 2008
YourMomsHole wrote:
The way I see it, if there was nothing wrong with "ghetto" names there would be no reason be upset when called one.
I make fun of Danequa on a regular basis and lose no sleep over it.
I agree. There is something bizarre about pulling a name out of thin air.

I'm trying to think about exactly why and I think the best way to explain it is the lack of tradition. A manufactured name is one with no ancestors, traditions or culture attached to it.

I am not a parent of a newborn, but if I was, I'd probably go straight to the Bible for inspiration. I love many of the Hebrew names: Rebecca, Sarah, David, Moses, Isaiah and so forth.

Another place I'd go is the family tree. Lots of cool great grandparents, aunts, uncles and so on.

Sorry, no Savon or Tanikwa for me. LOL

Level 3

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#14 May 18, 2008
How about Shaquana, and La'ronde, and Pookie.

Since: Sep 08

New Fairfield, CT

#16 Sep 27, 2008
i've heard some weird names before.
Shaquana

Kannapolis, NC

#17 Oct 3, 2008
Citiboy wrote:
How about Shaquana, and La'ronde, and Pookie.
I decided to reply to this comment because my name is Shaquana. My name is African not ghetto. It means, "Truth in Life". I must say I find people these days are very ignorant to judge someone by of their name, and most surprisingly it is within our own race that the ignorance is being displayed. This shows that you know nothing of your African heritage to not be able to recognize a name that is from the place your own ancestors came from. Before taking it amongst yourself to judge someone because of their name, think again.

“My birthday is February 24th!!”

NYC Babii :D

#18 Oct 3, 2008
I remember on Tyra, some woman named her daughter Shacambria Alize. T.I. has a child named Messiah Ya'Majesty. We all can joke about these names, but I pity these children. They will not be taken seriously by any real job because of their names. They may or may not be mocked, because they may attend school with children with ghetto names as well. These parents need to think when naming their children. I don't have kids yet, but when I do they will have either normal or unique [not ghetto] names like Jade, Naomi, Ashley, Jaden etc.

“.:Breathe Easy:.”

Since: Oct 08

Vineland, NJ

#19 Oct 3, 2008
WOW.

How ignorant it is to predict someones future by criticizing their name. Better yet- by terming it "GHETTO." Stop playing.

How does a name become ghetto? Because its African and YOU dont know it is?
Because the person that has it LIVES in the ghetto?
Or because the person that has it acts mannerless?
Yeah Im sure their name determined that....lol

We call Bonqueesha ghetto, but is Condileeza (Rice) ghetto???
We call Rayquan ghetto but is Shaquille (O'Neal) ghetto???

Exactly. Name your kids what you want. YOUR rational is as good as any. The kid can understand it & embrace it or abreviate it & get a more common nickname.

C'mon yall, for real.
JasperSpayde

Centerville, MA

#20 Oct 3, 2008
Shaquana wrote:
<quoted text>
I decided to reply to this comment because my name is Shaquana. My name is African not ghetto. It means, "Truth in Life". I must say I find people these days are very ignorant to judge someone by of their name, and most surprisingly it is within our own race that the ignorance is being displayed. This shows that you know nothing of your African heritage to not be able to recognize a name that is from the place your own ancestors came from. Before taking it amongst yourself to judge someone because of their name, think again.
What tribe is your family from and what language is your name from?

“.:Breathe Easy:.”

Since: Oct 08

Vineland, NJ

#21 Oct 3, 2008
Mixed Chick Perspective wrote:
I remember on Tyra, some woman named her daughter Shacambria Alize. T.I. has a child named Messiah Ya'Majesty. We all can joke about these names, but I pity these children. They will not be taken seriously by any real job because of their names. They may or may not be mocked, because they may attend school with children with ghetto names as well. These parents need to think when naming their children. I don't have kids yet, but when I do they will have either normal or unique [not ghetto] names like Jade, Naomi, Ashley, Jaden etc.
If they attend school with kids with "ghetto" names as well then how can they mocked. The pig is calling the rhino fat.

And "not seriously considered" for what job? The one that requires you to have a short extra common name and be hired by the blindly-racist boss who doesnt care to read the resume or interview La'Quita to truly evaluate her skills????

Mixed, In THIS world (NOT 1832) Ashley with the 2.8 and personality complex will ALWAYS lose her job to Shaquana with 3.7 and beautiful attitude.
JasperSpayde

Centerville, MA

#22 Oct 3, 2008
JazzMinded wrote:
We call Bonqueesha ghetto, but is Condileeza (Rice) ghetto???
We call Rayquan ghetto but is Shaquille (O'Neal) ghetto???
Exactly.
Exactly what?Yes they're all ghetto names.
JasperSpayde

Centerville, MA

#23 Oct 3, 2008
If you don't like you're name you can legally change it,so you're not necessarily stuck with it.

“This was so much FUN!”

Thomasville, GA

#26 Oct 3, 2008
I guess there is nothign wrong with having a so-called "ghetto" name. I just like giving children names that have meanings. Its interesting to look up your name and see its meaning.

For instance my name, Kristen, means follower of Christ or christian. As for the origin, different sites say different things. One site said german and another said English (european). I think one site even said it was gaelic. Its just interesting to read

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Illegal woman in Arizona for decades to be depo... 1 min Ms Mack 234
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min USAsince1680 1,496,722
This good ol' boy never meant no harm! 3 min Ben 909
Why do good looking black women like white men ... (Sep '12) 3 min whattearmedownfool 7,628
All White people should be slaves to Blacks (Dec '12) 17 min Africa 116
Aren't Black people inferior? 22 min Africa 23
News Being conservative is not being racist 22 min huntcoyotes 510
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 8 hr IT IS I 51,331
More from around the web