Whats wrong with Sounding/talking "B...

“Helping you ”

Level 8

Since: Jul 11

achieve perfection

#391 Jul 6, 2013
bitterSWEET910 wrote:
<quoted text>
so....In a nutshel your saying you CAN NOT always discern ethnicity based on voice alone? Therefore, this imaginary "black english" doesnt exist, if it did...it would affect all black people, no non blacks would speak it and you would ALWAYS be able to tell color by speech.
Thanks for clearing that up :)
There is no such thing as "black english". It's more so a matter of location. In the south people have southern accents and in the north people have northern accents. Same for all races.

Although there is a different "sound" to a black voice, the dialect is normally tied into the region and isn't race specific.

With the migration of men and women around the US moving from state to state and mass media etc, even dialects are losing their relevancy now a days.

But no, sounding ignorant is not by any means "black" talk.

“Helping you ”

Level 8

achieve perfection

#392 Jul 6, 2013
bitterSWEET910 wrote:
This topic is driving me nuts...every article I come across has an opposing viewpoint. I found 1...ONE! That agreed with my POV and i already posted that.
The most troubling thing about this is that most of the articals use the terms African American English and Ebonics interchangably. ALL BLACKS DO NOT SPEAK EBONICS.
This so called African American English aka EBONICS is NOT spoken by all African Americans. That is some stereotype hype that, for some odd reason, the black masses are readily accepting. There is no distinction between educated & uneducated blacks ( Did Cornel West tell you that?) nor between AAE and ebonics. I dont get it...I just dont. The more I research this, the more upset I become. Teaching in ebonics? Really? No other ethnicty of people do this shit.
I have learned from more than this site and thread that my people will argue the validity of ebonics til death. If you want to be so damn special, go learn a different language. Plenty of languages from the motherland. Learn one. Fuck ebonics.
http://www.linguisticsociety.org/content/what...
http://www.cal.org/topics/dialects/aae.html
No blacks hardly speak ebonics. Poor whites and poor blacks etc speak ebonics equally.

“No more hate”

Level 4

Since: Jun 13

North Carolina

#393 Jul 6, 2013
AWW SHIT...
Anderson and I agree. Its time for me to leave the thread. For real this time. To hell with this topic.

“Helping you ”

Level 8

achieve perfection

#394 Jul 6, 2013
bitterSWEET910 wrote:
AWW SHT...
Anderson and I agree. Its time for me to leave the thread. For real this time. To hll with this topic.
Our avatars sound kind of alike too :) Some times a man and a woman just have to agree :) Nothing wrong with that.
Cap Black

United States

#395 Jul 6, 2013
"The African people," Dr. Smith continues, "were brought into America and the Caribbean speaking African languages; and as a result you see that, to the extent that they have been integrated into white society, there is more likelihood of their sounding European or borrowing more European features. To the extent that (Black Americans) have lived in social isolation, you will find the linguistic retention of an African Hamito-Bantu substratum in their phonology, grammar and vocabulary."

The early Black slaves actually spoke very little of the European languages, whether the dominant language in a particular country was English, Spanish, Dutch, French or Portuguese. "The Africans," Dr. Smith insists, "knew the words," but because most were denied a formal education and could not read, they generally did not learn the grammar of the European language to which they were exposed. "The greatest difficulty one has in mastering a foreign language is learning the grammar. You can learn the sounds that are different and you can learn and extensively memorize the vocabulary, but learning Spanish words won't make one a speaker of Spanish. What one has to know and speak in order to have competence in Spanish is the Spanish morphology.

or verb system." What the Africans spontaneously chose to do, then, was to maintain the "deep structure" (i.e., word formation and syntactical rules) of their own African languages and by relexification (i.e., using words from one language in the verb system or grammar of another without a change in the grammar), they adapted the vocabulary of the Indo-European languages to the structure of the languages that they had in Africa. "Ebonics," then, asserts Dr. Smith, "is an African morphology or substratum with French, Portuguese, Dutch, Spanish and English words in it," depending on where the Africans lived in the New World.

Level 8

Since: Oct 09

Paris France

#397 Jul 6, 2013
Savant wrote:
Given the realities of the Black Diaspora, similar things may be said of other Blacks in the Americas as well.
Black from Jamaica or Trinidad will commonly have a Black Jamaican or Trinicadian accent.
But won't the Jamaican accent of a janitor be different from the accident of Jamaican professor of English or History?
I've read about Black French (oten called patois) in Martinique.
Traditionally, the educated classes discouraged their children from speaking it, and told them to speak "French, French French, the French of France, white French"--as Frantz Fanon quotes one poet in BLACK SKINS, WHITE MASKS. But middle and upper class children of Black Martinique weren't always free of patois. And Frantz Fanon, who studied Psychiatry, Philosophy, History and Literature in France, sometimes deliberately reverted to "Black French". But he also spoke flawless Parisian French. Code shiftying in the Francophone Black world?
Sir,

the promotion of what we better call "créole" - it is a mixture of French and some African languages plus a specific prononciation - has moved on considerably in the past 20 years.
It's official language today in Haïti and the different French créoles are now studied in the universities and benefit from a whole published literature.

A writer and essayist like Édouard Glissant (+2011) is important for his wide vision of "créolisation" that goes far beyond the mestizzo languages like French créoles.

http://www.edouardglissant.fr/creolisation.ht...

Basically there is nothing wrong in "sounding Black" though some créoles are used by white and mixed people.
It is customary in Western main languages to have regional and social accents and French or English "sounds" differently when a French caribbean, a French canadian, a Provençal a "Chti" or an Alsatian are speaking.

Another prejudiced and Black-bashing thread on Afam Topix ...

a whiteboi
Cap Black

Huntsville, AL

#398 Jul 6, 2013
When americans learn fluent spanish and speak it,to a person who is hispanic,they will still pick up the the accent that tells them they are "gringo"(american).
Cap Black

Huntsville, AL

#399 Jul 6, 2013

“Obsidian Princess”

Level 8

Since: Sep 09

louisiana

#400 Jul 6, 2013
Decent92 wrote:
I do not see anything wrong with it. I know how to cut it off at school and work but at home I speak what comes naturally.
It's just like a immigrant speaking with an American accent and in English in public and switching to their native accent and language at home.
exactly. we should speak how we want when at home, around friends or places and situations were it will not affect our ability to advance in this world.

“Obsidian Princess”

Level 8

louisiana

#401 Jul 6, 2013
did you all know that English people laugh at the way Americans speak "proper" English? really and truly, if you consider how the people speak it where it originated, our form of "proper" English is not really proper at all.

“Israel uses Jim Crow Terrorism”

Level 7

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#402 Jul 6, 2013
"Look at the clothes you wear...aaaaahhhhhh look at dat style of hair!!!"

“New year, new frame of mind”

Level 1

Since: Feb 12

Austin, Texas

#403 Jul 6, 2013
There is really no such thing as talking or acting black. Everybody talks how they want to talk or how they were raised to talk. Race has no bearing on how you talk, ever heard of Paul Wall?

Level 7

Location hidden

#404 Jul 6, 2013
"Look at the way ya walk (u ghetto)...look at the way ya talk..."

“Obsidian Princess”

Level 8

louisiana

#405 Jul 6, 2013
fair_guy wrote:
"Look at the way ya walk (u ghetto)...look at the way ya talk..."
short men are ghetto and never speak "proper" English. LOL!!!!

Level 7

Location hidden

#406 Jul 6, 2013
dragonpat wrote:
<quoted text>
Quoting a song...black bitches that are heightist are always ghetto and never speak proper English...
Cap Black

Huntsville, AL

#407 Jul 7, 2013
"The way the system of European control works, is you have to accept a concept of reality that makes them superior."- Dr. Marimba Ani Yurugu
http://www.delawareliberal.net/2010/01/11/rac...
an African-American speaking in the venacular from Alabama will sound very different from an African-American speaking in the venacular from the Bronx. It is actually a facinating area of study, as is the sociological implications of how some African-Americans esentially speak two dialects of English; one around their peers and another in “white” society.
Cap Black

Huntsville, AL

#408 Jul 7, 2013
BlackMenRuleAll4Life wrote:
There is really no such thing as talking or acting black. Everybody talks how they want to talk or how they were raised to talk. Race has no bearing on how you talk, ever heard of Paul Wall?
Did this man change his accent after 12seconds?

“Karma”

Level 3

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#409 Jul 7, 2013
I don't think anything is wrong with talking or acting black, however if you go to a job interview you have to leave the Slang at home and speak STANDARD English. I also think there is nothing wrong with speaking standard English (being proper) and basically sounding like you are well educated!!! My problem is with the black people that copy off of white people with the EXTRA WHINEY VOICE!! We call it the BECKY WHINE or valley girl talk!! I can't stand that shi! And in my town the trend is walk around looking like you stuck your finger in an electric socket with this bushy uncombed dry hair (so called natural) when you can still put some oil sheen , condition it and comb and style it some kind of way then when they open their mouth they talk like straight up white chicks whining every word!! Lol sometimes Lakeisha whines worse than BECKY you have to actually turn your head to see which one is white lol! To make matters worse lakeisha is hanging with ALL white girls. They go out and it's 5 white girls ( they travel deep ) and one black girl REALLY????

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Level 8

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#410 Jul 7, 2013
Yiddish has been spoken by non-Jews, though not by as many non-Black people who speak "Black English." Yiddish is Jewish because it was developed from within their community and culture by Jews themselves. Similarly, what's called Black English wss developed by Blacks themselves. That others may speak it, and some Blacks do not, hardly changes anything. Blacks also invented Spirituals, blues, jazz, soul and other musical forms. They may be called Black music since they emerted from the culture of Black people. That doesn't mean that others cannot enjoy or sing such music.
No culture belongs exclusively to the people who created it. But you seem to work with the assumption that Black English can't be Black unless only Black people speak it, and maybe unless all Black people speak it.
All Black people do not speak Black English (though most do), just as all Jews do not speak Yiddish (which I suspect most Jews DO NOT any longer in America). That doesn't change the fact that it is an ethnic form of speech.
bitterSWEET910 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes...A jewish dialect that is NOT commonly spoken by people who are not jews. See the difference?
Ebonics...black english...african american english and whatever else is not a black thing.
http://www.pbs.org/speak/seatosea/americanvar...
Is Ebonics only “a black thing?”
No. For one thing, not all African Americans speak Ebonics, and not all Ebonics speakers are African American. A significant number of whites, Hispanics, and Asian Americans who live and work closely together speak dialects that can be characterized as black English. As linguists study AAVE, they find that, just like standard English, it is not monolithic, but comes in flavors and varieties. In addition, as I’ve indicated above, mainstream English has borrowed heavily from the speech of African Americans. So, in many ways, it is easier to conceive of all the dialects of English as variable and continuous, rather than categorical and separate. For another thing, the problems Ebonics speakers face are shared by speakers of other nonstandard dialects as well, whether they live in the inner city, in rural America, or even in the suburbs.

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Level 8

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#411 Jul 7, 2013
dragonpat wrote:
<quoted text>
What does it mean to say that someone is "ghetto", and ghetto because of his height?
I grew up in the ghettoes of East Bmore myself. Men were tall, aaverage, and short. So were women and children.

And how does height affect how you speak English?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min mdbuilder 1,621,354
THE EPIDEMIC OF BLACK ON WHITE RAPE IN AMERICA.... 8 min THX Son of Bavaria 4
Halloween Has Overtaken Thanksgiving IMO 11 min zepol 22
I need proof that the Ancient Egyptians Were No... (Oct '07) 16 min dreamhunk 35,395
Breaking News: Las Vegas Mass Shooting 30 min zepol 486
They are calling Harvey Weinstein racist becaus... 42 min KIR SUCKA 3
Why do American Blacks think they're Egyptians? (Apr '12) 49 min el rey de los cam... 3,756
Can America Become 80% White Again? 1 hr KIR SUCKA 255
Chinese Museum Africa Exhibit 1 hr el rey de los cam... 88
Somebody explain the Volvo car commercial to me 3 hr KIR SUCKA 44
More from around the web