“Beautiful Princess.....”

Level 6

Since: Jan 08

Los Angeles, CA.

#304 Jan 10, 2013
Angry Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, not buying it.
Because you need to be right and you're not.

“Mods keep erasing my Avi..”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#305 Jan 10, 2013
Bakari Neferu wrote:
<quoted text>
The main character was a free man for like 99 percent of the movie, so you have no argument there.
That's not my argument anyway, but I don't know why that's said. Slave, Ex-slave, all the same.
Bakari Neferu wrote:
No, he seeks to rejoin his wife, and incidentally is a slave.
WTF is that... incidentally is a slave? How do you "incidentally" become a slave? You see the "word" game? Yes, the woman is his wife but she's also a slave. You say "rejoin" but their goal was to BUY her freedom. If you're going to explain the movie, explain it thoroughly.
Bakari Neferu wrote:
She could have been a free woman that was simply placed in jail, or kidnapped or something, and the movie would have ended up the same way, with Django trying to save her.
But it wasn't. The movie was about Django the slave searching for his enslaved wife during slavery.
Bakari Neferu wrote:
Notice how none of the other slaves in this movie were given that much attention.
Doesn't matter.
Bakari Neferu wrote:
Whites were given more attention than the slaves. The reason for this is because they were the main ones Django had to deal with in order to accomplish his mission, which made them more of a focus.
No movie gives more attention to vile white racists than to slaves in movie whose main theme is supposedly about slavery.
The story was told by a white person. What prospective do you think is suppose to come from it? If it's told by a white person, it's going to have white views and influences. But it's not told in seriousness from a white perspective. THAT is something rarely seen.
Bakari Neferu wrote:
What am I "suger-coating" exactly?
All you keep doing is telling me that slavery was a theme in the movie.
I'm telling you slavery was the BASES of the movie. Without slavery as its MAIN BASES, it's a totally different movie in tone.

“Africa”

Level 7

Since: Jan 12

Oakland

#306 Jan 10, 2013
Angry Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, not buying it.
That's fine. You're entitled to your opinion.

What I would like to know though, because you seem to be discontented with this film, is how you feel about the other slave movies out on the market?

Do you share the same discontent with them?

There was a book self narrated by a Solomon Northrup entitled, "Twelve Years a Slave". The are making a film adaptation in the future and it will also be made by a white guy.

In the book, the main character is a free man who is kidnapped and sold into slavery, where he endures all the abuses and denigration associated with slavery, and doesn't get free until 12 years later, when a white man who is sympathetic to his plight, who ultimately was responsible for getting Solomon freed.

This of course plays well into the "White saviour" syndrome we are all used to by now, and have seen in many movies od Black American, and even Black African downtroddeness, like in the case of Blood Diamond.

This story would have definitely have been a realistic portrayal of slavery though, and of course, it is accompanied by the predictably and utterly depressing setting of the slavery.

I wonder how many of these so called "Django detractors" will seek to complain about this movie when it comes out like they did with Django, a movie that was actually about Blacks winning for a change.

Their reaction will be very telling of the Black psyche in my opinion.

“Mods keep erasing my Avi..”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#307 Jan 10, 2013
Bychance37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Because you need to be right and you're not.
It's not about right or wrong. Like you stated, it's an opinion. I'm just not buying your view. I've seen the movie. I know better than some "Love Story".

“Mods keep erasing my Avi..”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#308 Jan 10, 2013
Bakari Neferu wrote:
<quoted text>

What I would like to know though, because you seem to be discontented with this film, is how you feel about the other slave movies out on the market?
Do you share the same discontent with them?
I just called it 14 year old, shoot 'em up, bafoonery, fantasy hogwash made by a dude who's fascinated with black stereotypes and the N word.(probably because his mother was into black guys. A subconscious hatred).
Bakari Neferu wrote:
I wonder how many of these so called "Django detractors" will seek to complain about this movie when it comes out like they did with Django, a movie that was actually about Blacks winning for a change.
Their reaction will be very telling of the Black psyche in my opinion.
Here's the thing... Who CARES about being shown "WINNING"? Slavery was 400 plus years ago and black people are here today, thriving and advancing. That's winning enough.

I'll judge the movie when I see it. I don't know the directors or producers, so I have no background on them. If the movie is enlightening, informative, educational and accurate, I'm sure it will be described as so. But if it's white-washed, insensitive, demeaning without merit, and down right corny, I will see it as such.

“Beautiful Princess.....”

Level 6

Since: Jan 08

Los Angeles, CA.

#309 Jan 10, 2013
Angry Man wrote:
<quoted text>It's not about right or wrong. Like you stated, it's an opinion. I'm just not buying your view. I've seen the movie. I know better than some "Love Story".
LOL okay, enough said.

“Africa”

Level 7

Since: Jan 12

Oakland

#310 Jan 10, 2013
Angry Man wrote:
<quoted text>That's not my argument anyway, but I don't know why that's said. Slave, Ex-slave, all the same.
Slave is not the same as "Ex-slave".

Now you're starting to be ignorant.
Angry Man wrote:
<quoted text>WTF is that... incidentally is a slave? How do you "incidentally" become a slave?
Her being slave was incidental to the theme of the story. It was just a predicament she was put in in story in order for Django to have an excuse to go to Candyland, confront all the white racists, and save her. It was not nearly the reason why he was seeking to save her. He was seeking to save her because she was his wife. He didn't really do anything for the other slaves really. He may have sympathized with them, but he didn't go out of his way to save.
Angry Man wrote:
You see the "word" game?
There is no word game. You're argument that slavery was the main theme of this movie is just not sturdy.
Angry Man wrote:
Yes, the woman is his wife but she's also a slave.
Which is incidental, not the central focus.
Angry Man wrote:
You say "rejoin" but their goal was to BUY her freedom.
At first he just wanted to go into Candyland and kill all of them, then take her without paying for anything. It was the German who suggested the more tactful approach of purchasing her, and even then, they had to play it up by making it seem like they were purchasing mandingos with her just being a complimentary token.
Angry Man wrote:
If you're going to explain the movie, explain it thoroughly.
I have and do. The story's central theme was not about slavery but about rescue.

Her being slave was incidental. It was not nearly the reason why he was seeking to save her. He was seeking to save her because she was his wife. He didn't really care about the other slaves that much. Which is obvious. He sympathized with them, but he didn't go out of his way to save them either.
Angry Man wrote:
But it wasn't. The movie was about Django the slave searching for his enslaved wife during slavery.
Django was a Bounty Hunter, not a slave. So you've just lied about the plot in order to make an already failed argument try to work to your favor.

And no, the story was about Django seeking to rescue his wife from captivity. Her particular form of captivity being enslavement is purely incidental to the story, as was slavery itself. These were all just obstacles to be overcome due to the actual overriding theme of the story: Love.
Angry Man wrote:
<quoted text>The story was told by a white person. What prospective do you think is suppose to come from it? If it's told by a white person, it's going to have white views and influences. But it's not told in seriousness from a white perspective. THAT is something rarely seen.
I'm not sure what this even means.
Angry Man wrote:
<quoted text>I'm telling you slavery was the BASES of the movie. Without slavery as its MAIN BASES, it's a totally different movie in tone.
No it isn't. If you erase the aspect of Django and his wife being slaves and even the whites being racist, you can still have the same central theme of Django seeking to rescue his endangered wife.

If you take away the rescuing component of it, but kept the slavery and the racist aspect of it, then you really do have a completely different movie.

The reason for this is because the main theme was not about slavery, but about Django rescuing his wife from captivity.

“Africa”

Level 7

Since: Jan 12

Oakland

#311 Jan 10, 2013
Angry Man wrote:
<quoted text>
I just called it 14 year old, shoot 'em up, bafoonery, fantasy hogwash made by a dude who's fascinated with black stereotypes and the N word.(probably because his mother was into black guys. A subconscious hatred).
No, I asked you about those other slave movies like Roots and Amistad, not your opinions of Django.
Angry Man wrote:
Here's the thing... Who CARES about being shown "WINNING"?
I do.

And so do most Blacks, I would hope. This is evidenced by the overwhelming praise Blacks have given this film as if they thought Obama made or something.
Angry Man wrote:
Slavery was 400 plus years ago and black people are here today, thriving and advancing.
Blacks are not thriving. We own the least and are the least likely to own. We are at the bottom of the socio-economic ladder. We have the highest rate of disease, poverty, homelessness, violence and crime. We also have the strange habit of being shot for no apparent reason by white cops and having nobody doing sh*t about it.

That is not thriving.
Angry Man wrote:
That's winning enough.
For you, maybe. Not for me. I'm not a fan of being at the bottom. You celebrate that all by yourself.

“Mods keep erasing my Avi..”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#312 Jan 10, 2013
I need to get some sleep. Tty guys tomorrow.

Level 7

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#313 Jan 10, 2013
Bychance37 wrote:
<quoted text>The main theme of the movie is a LOVE STORY, the rest is a supporting story. That didn't expand on any of it because it wasn't the main focus. The only reason they showed the Mandingo fighting is because it was the premise of why they came to Candy's plantation in the first place.

So if it's about slavery then it is also about greedy white men, stupid white men, the cruelty of white people, the buffoonery of the klan. Because the only one that was normal was the bounty hunter. But it wasn't about that either, it was about D'jango and Broomhilda and his quest for her and slavery was the backdrop.
You are right about the main objective of the movie. It is a love story but the things AngryMan are talking about are in the movie intentionally to make you digest them within the context of the main story. You're SUPPOSED to think about those things.
Masud_S_Hoghughi __

London, UK

#314 Jan 10, 2013
.....is wot happens when the kneegroid beast is unleashed from his chains.........

......negrows require control and containment......
trollslayer

Munster, IN

#315 Jan 10, 2013
Bychance37 wrote:
<quoted text>
It happened during the time of slavery, they were slaves but the plot was about this man getting his wife back and all of the obstacles that stood in his way. It was more of a western. Do you really think a black slave even if he did travel with a white man could kill a white criminal or whip one? When during slavery did that happen?
Bass Reeves....."Reeves became an expert with pistol and rifle. Territorial newspapers stated he killed fourteen outlaws during his career as a peace officer. "
"The Chickasaw Enterprise on November 28, 1901, reported that Bass Reeves had arrested more than three thousand men and women for violating federal laws in the territory."

“Africa”

Level 7

Since: Jan 12

Oakland

#316 Jan 10, 2013
trollslayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Bass Reeves....."Reeves became an expert with pistol and rifle. Territorial newspapers stated he killed fourteen outlaws during his career as a peace officer. "
"The Chickasaw Enterprise on November 28, 1901, reported that Bass Reeves had arrested more than three thousand men and women for violating federal laws in the territory."
Good one!

You ever read "Black Gun, Silver Star"?

Reeves was just one of many real Black gunmen/cowboys. Another aspect of our history Euro-educators don't teach.

"Deputy U.S. Marshal Bass Reeves appears as one of “eight notable Oklahomans,” the “most feared U.S. marshal in the Indian country.” That Reeves was also an African American who had spent his early life as a slave in Arkansas and Texas makes his accomplishments all the more remarkable. Bucking the odds (“I’m sorry, we didn’t keep black people’s history,” a clerk at one of Oklahoma’s local historical societies answered a query), Art T. Burton sifts through fact and legend to discover the truth about one of the most outstanding peace officers in late nineteenth-century America—and perhaps the greatest lawman of the Wild West era.

Fluent in Creek and other southern Native languages, physically powerful, skilled with firearms, and a master of disguise, Reeves was exceptionally adept at apprehending fugitives and outlaws, and his exploits were legendary in Oklahoma and Arkansas. A finalist for the 2007 Spur Award, sponsored by the Western Writers of America, Black Gun, Silver Star tells Bass Reeves’s story for the first time and restores this remarkable figure to his rightful place in the history of the American West."

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Gun-Silver-Star-E...
trollslayer

Munster, IN

#317 Jan 10, 2013
Bakari Neferu wrote:
<quoted text>
Good one!
You ever read "Black Gun, Silver Star"?
Reeves was just one of many real Black gunmen/cowboys. Another aspect of our history Euro-educators don't teach.
"Deputy U.S. Marshal Bass Reeves appears as one of “eight notable Oklahomans,” the “most feared U.S. marshal in the Indian country.” That Reeves was also an African American who had spent his early life as a slave in Arkansas and Texas makes his accomplishments all the more remarkable. Bucking the odds (“I’m sorry, we didn’t keep black people’s history,” a clerk at one of Oklahoma’s local historical societies answered a query), Art T. Burton sifts through fact and legend to discover the truth about one of the most outstanding peace officers in late nineteenth-century America—and perhaps the greatest lawman of the Wild West era.
Fluent in Creek and other southern Native languages, physically powerful, skilled with firearms, and a master of disguise, Reeves was exceptionally adept at apprehending fugitives and outlaws, and his exploits were legendary in Oklahoma and Arkansas. A finalist for the 2007 Spur Award, sponsored by the Western Writers of America, Black Gun, Silver Star tells Bass Reeves’s story for the first time and restores this remarkable figure to his rightful place in the history of the American West."
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Gun-Silver-Star-E...
I stumbled upon Bass Reeves’s story just recently. I wasn't familiar with "Black-Gun-Silver". I will look into it. Years ago I read a "series" on Black Cowboys. Yer right they won't teach this in schools.

“CANT WE ALL GET ALONG?”

Level 3

Since: May 07

Central coast

#318 Jan 10, 2013
this django movie is so complicated to some viewers.

“Cool Like That”

Level 5

Since: May 08

Everywhere

#319 Jan 10, 2013
Mssons2plees wrote:
this django movie is so complicated to some viewers.
Actually, Django is a piece of crap that some Black people are swallowing, and that is sad.

“Leading the Revolution”

Level 6

Since: Oct 09

United States

#320 Jan 10, 2013
Some very informative opinions!
trollslayer

Worth, IL

#321 Jan 10, 2013
IkeLike wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, Django is a piece of crap that some Black people are swallowing, and that is sad.
That's YOUR opinion. PPL. can see what they want at the movies. Plus, I don't think you've seen it...so YOU can't comment.
TheEye

New York, NY

#322 Jan 10, 2013
It was a good movie. Initially I didnt plan on seeing it. But the more I read about it the more curious I became.

Its not a clasic or anything, just a good fun shoot-em-up action flick.

It DOES show something different about the slave experience, and in this way is the anti Color Purple. Most movies about that period emphisize weak, downtrodden, impotence to an unbearable degree.

In this movie the black man takes his destiny into his own hands in a robust manner and slays the villians and rescues the girl......... the girl who is by the way, essentially a pretty princess archetype, rather than a homely mammmy.

These are the reasons it resonates and is different
trollslayer

Worth, IL

#323 Jan 10, 2013
TheEye wrote:
It was a good movie. Initially I didnt plan on seeing it. But the more I read about it the more curious I became.
Its not a clasic or anything, just a good fun shoot-em-up action flick.
It DOES show something different about the slave experience, and in this way is the anti Color Purple. Most movies about that period emphisize weak, downtrodden, impotence to an unbearable degree.
In this movie the black man takes his destiny into his own hands in a robust manner and slays the villians and rescues the girl......... the girl who is by the way, essentially a pretty princess archetype, rather than a homely mammmy.
These are the reasons it resonates and is different
Bass Reeves is a real black guy from the old west who should have a movie made about him. There also lots of Black cowboys from the old west ya' never hear of. Loke I said earlier, if a Black is playing a strong, take charge role in a movie, you'll have insecure stooges coming out against it.

It's just like back in the days of so-called "blaxploitation movies". What was "exploitative" about those movies? What's wrong or "exploitative" about "Shaft"...a Black detective etc.?

Those movies were mainly about Blacks taking charge. Whats wrong with that. Plus, it gave Blacks tons of work back then. Heck, Blacks sure haven't got that much work since. Anyway, Django has been nominated for a Oscar.

http://www.google.com/url...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Nostrilis Waxmoron 1,223,647
Computer Issues (Jun '14) 35 min Cigar Face21 300
Why do I hate white people so much? 50 min African AE 97
Why do white men like to watch white women have... (Jan '14) 51 min Bobby T Canada 98
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 1 hr KiloEcho 33,074
Why do blacks move into white neighborhoods (Jul '12) 1 hr Sadbuttrue 32
Why whites hate blacks more than asians? (Sep '07) 1 hr Paki_Jatt_Soorma 397
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 1 hr African AE 118,213
Who's gonna win? Manny Pacquiao or Floyd Maywea... 1 hr massman 74
Major Protesting in Baltimore Right Now 3 hr Masud_S_Hoghughi__ 513
More from around the web