Bernice King: - African-Americans Are...

Bernice King: - African-Americans Are Still Not Free' 150 Years After Slavery's End

There are 298 comments on the KTUC-AM Tucson story from Aug 27, 2013, titled Bernice King: - African-Americans Are Still Not Free' 150 Years After Slavery's End. In it, KTUC-AM Tucson reports that:

The Rev. Bernice King says that 50 years after her father, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., delivered his famous "I Have a Dream" speech at the March on Washington, his dream is still a work in progress.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KTUC-AM Tucson.

“GREAT OBAMA GLOBAL DEPRESSION”

Since: Mar 10

Huntington, NY

#105 Aug 30, 2013
Blacks, and now many whites, have de-evolved in direct correlation to their subservience to the surrendercrat party bosses that dole out generational welfare.

Abe Lincoln and MLK were Republicans.

Come back any time. We'd love to have you.

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Level 8

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#106 Aug 30, 2013
Darkjaemess wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me, LION, but I wish to ask you about a point. We'll start from zero. How can we compete with the already highly industrialized production of whites and build a sustainable proletariat?
Now that's a good question. I think our economic empowerment and self-determination at some point will require the transcendence of capitaliism itself.
But black owned enterprises may improve our situation, especially if they take the form of democratic cooperatives.
I suggest democratic cooperatives, even though I don't exclude private enterprises, because in such institutions the AVERAGE person can play a bigger role in securing his/her well being and that of the community. I really would like to see folk take a second look at W.E.B. Du Bois's DUSK OF DAWN, and especially the chapter entitled "The Colored World Within."
I've recently published on book on the philosophical thought of Dr. King, and I noticed that he seemed to promote both support for Black enterprises, and the formation of cooperatives among poor and working class Black folk.
King discusses some of this in STRIDE TOWARD FREEDOM and WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE: CHAOS OR COMMUNITY? I also think we can revisit some of the projects of SNCC, and even the 10 Point Program of the Black Panther Party.
One sad thing about what happened after the 1960s, is that too much of the political ane economic thought and proposed programs were forgotten. But some of it is still relevant, even more relevant TODAY than in the 1960s.

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Level 8

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#107 Aug 30, 2013
mjjcpa wrote:
Blacks, and now many whites, have de-evolved in direct correlation to their subservience to the surrendercrat party bosses that dole out generational welfare.
Abe Lincoln and MLK were Republicans.
Come back any time. We'd love to have you.
Abe Lincoln was a Republican, and so werea majority of Blacks in the late 19th and early 20 centuries. But the Republicans were the most PROGRESSIVE party of that time.
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. WAS NOT a Republican. His FATHER was, and he switched to support John F. Kennedy for the 1960 presidential election.
If you look at Dr. King's own writings, you will see that he was SKEPTICAL about both parties. In a collection called THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. he says EXPLICILTY that he did not support EITHER party, and deemed it unwise to do so.
He was about an AGENDA, and agenda of equality and freedom. An agenda of economic justice. His attitude toward any party or politician depended on the latter's response to King's and the Movement's agenda.

Huntington, NY

#108 Aug 30, 2013
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>Abe Lincoln was a Republican, and so werea majority of Blacks in the late 19th and early 20 centuries. But the Republicans were the most PROGRESSIVE party of that time.
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. WAS NOT a Republican. His FATHER was, and he switched to support John F. Kennedy for the 1960 presidential election.
If you look at Dr. King's own writings, you will see that he was SKEPTICAL about both parties. In a collection called THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. he says EXPLICILTY that he did not support EITHER party, and deemed it unwise to do so.
He was about an AGENDA, and agenda of equality and freedom. An agenda of economic justice. His attitude toward any party or politician depended on the latter's response to King's and the Movement's agenda.
Thanks. I consider him one of our country's greatest men.

At least you agree with my first sentence.

“Unions are still scum ”

Level 5

Since: Dec 07

Atlanta

#113 Aug 30, 2013
http://www.marxists.org/history/usa/workers/b...
Savant wrote:
<quoted text> I also think we can revisit some of the projects of SNCC, and even the 10 Point Program of the Black Panther Party.
Besides #1, the rest of those 9 points are nothing but bullsh!t. Too bad the NBPP did not make an 11th point, to take responsibility for ones on actions.

“The Truthfighter Emcee”

Level 4

Since: Nov 08

Birmingham, England, UK

#115 Aug 30, 2013
Breaking News African-American Studies are not in Decline!!: http://www.topix.com/afam/2013/08/130830ST9IA...

this is a factor why AA Women are under fire: http://www.topix.com/forum/afam/THC52QSS64N2F...
LION

Charlotte, NC

#116 Aug 31, 2013
MSO4 wrote:
<quoted text>I think the solution for blacks to climb the socio economic ladder is truly simple, black fathers stay home with your kids, inner city school teachers, do not be afraid to challenge these kids so they can get the education they deserve, and do not blame others for your station in life.
Very simple.
You are also right. This would also make a difference. But I guess I am speaking from more of an economical factor.

“Unions are still scum ”

Level 5

Atlanta

#117 Aug 31, 2013
LION wrote:
<quoted text>
You are also right. This would also make a difference. But I guess I am speaking from more of an economical factor.
Economical and emotionally. The black family is becoming a rarity these days.

Huntington, NY

#118 Aug 31, 2013
MSO4 wrote:
<quoted text>Economical and emotionally. The black family is becoming a rarity these days.
That's why liberals need to concoct this "it takes a village" crap.

Someone has to raise them, and our jails are full.

“Unions are still scum ”

Level 5

Atlanta

#119 Aug 31, 2013
mjjcpa wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats why I bring up the fatherless homes. Blacks are 13% of the poulation, but commit almost half the homicides. These black children deserve better. How can a father abadon their child?
LION

Charlotte, NC

#120 Aug 31, 2013
MSO4 wrote:
<quoted text>Thats why I bring up the fatherless homes. Blacks are 13% of the poulation, but commit almost half the homicides. These black children deserve better. How can a father abadon their child?
Well slavery had a ricochet affect. But also keep in mind that more whites commit violent crimes then blacks. In 2011, an estimated 3 million violent crimes were committed by blacks compared to 6 million violent crimes committed by whites.
Blacks just get longer sentences then whites.
LION

Charlotte, NC

#121 Aug 31, 2013
mjjcpa wrote:
<quoted text>
Whites commit more violent crimes then blacks.

“The biggest risk you take”

Level 4

Since: May 13

is not taking one

#122 Aug 31, 2013
LION wrote:
<quoted text>
Busy night for you on here.. There's no sleep for the LION!
LION

Charlotte, NC

#123 Aug 31, 2013
LearnLiveLove wrote:
<quoted text>
Busy night for you on here.. There's no sleep for the LION!
The lion is on a mission, sexy. Come on, baby, join the ride! lol

Level 4

is not taking one

#124 Aug 31, 2013
LION wrote:
<quoted text>
The lion is on a mission, sexy. Come on, baby, join the ride! lol
You crack me up. I expect great things from you. Go forth and empower my friend.
LION

Charlotte, NC

#125 Aug 31, 2013
LearnLiveLove wrote:
<quoted text>
You crack me up. I expect great things from you. Go forth and empower my friend.
BTW, you really need to get the dvds HIDDEN COLOR pt 1 and 2. They will influence you greatly.
You already have a pretty face and I am sure you also have a pretty mind as well!

“Unions are still scum ”

Level 5

Atlanta

#126 Aug 31, 2013
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/03/...
LION wrote:
<quoted text>
In 2011, an estimated 3 million violent crimes were committed by blacks compared to 6 million violent crimes committed by whites.
Blacks just get longer sentences then whites.
Whites are over 60% of the population where blacks account for only 13%, so all things being equal, whites would have to committ almost 5x the amount of crime to be on par with blacks. Once again, I attribute this to fatherless homes.

“Unions are still scum ”

Level 5

Atlanta

#127 Aug 31, 2013
LION wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have a government link for this info?

Level 4

is not taking one

#128 Aug 31, 2013
LION wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW, you really need to get the dvds HIDDEN COLOR pt 1 and 2. They will influence you greatly.
You already have a pretty face and I am sure you also have a pretty mind as well!
Hmm I'll have to explore the dvds.. I'm a firm believer in knowledge is power, lol. Thanks for your advice.

“Unions are still scum ”

Level 5

Atlanta

#129 Aug 31, 2013
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in...
LION wrote:
<quoted text>
This FBI report contradicts your claim. It states that whites committed 4,729 homicides and blacks committed 5,486. Those are staggering numbers considering the fact that whites account for 241 miilion people in the US compared to 40 million blacks. How can a group 1/6 the size of whites commit more murders. Truly scary.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min pencils and crayons 1,263,751
News Why the Confederate flag flies in SC 4 min Anonymous 2,942
All women prefer white men (Jan '15) 6 min The Night Grows Pale 5,659
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 14 min trollslayer 34,965
To all asian women who like black men, what do ... (Mar '11) 21 min Christopher 212
Africans did not sell their own 32 min PolakPotrafi 112
Saturday night, trolls gotta fight... 35 min inferiorwhiteman 10
News Al Sharpton blasts 'racist' Trump adviser for '... 2 hr goonsquad 52
Black dragged behind truck. 2 hr Hebrew Supremacist 30
More from around the web