If you want to hide something from a ...
tommy

Englewood, CO

#22 Sep 9, 2007
mark wrote:
tommy wrote: Don't get it twisted White people don't read either.
White people are just as ignorant as we are.
and those kids grow up to be poor whites
you trippin. I'm talking about rich ones as well. Just cause you rich that don't mean you are well read.

Bill Gates is the second richest man in the world,but he might be ignorant as hell.

High materially/low spiritually.
tommy

Englewood, CO

#23 Sep 9, 2007
Ashley wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, but many people CAN overcome the psychological affects of slavery. You just have to love yourself more and learn about who you are, not what "whites" tell you. I'm speaking in general by the way. I read a lot because my parents read a lot and I saw with my own eyes growing up what they would read and they'd even make us read. It helped a lot with my reading skills as well as my writing skills. When I was a child I wasn't allowed to watch much television so the other option of entertainment was to read for us. Even until this very day, my Father still sends me great books. SOMEONE has to break the cycle though, like my parents have done, like THEIR parents have done, and my great grandparents have done.
You have to have a healthy hatred for something that may plague you,or an unhealthy cycle. My father cheated on my mother.

It was hard on my mother,and my family.

So I hated the idea ofmen who cheated on thier wives,cuz of what it did to me,and my mother.

So guess what I won't do?
tommy

Englewood, CO

#25 Sep 9, 2007
Knoxxie wrote:
<quoted text>
True. But you'd think (we) blacks would pick up a book because it used to be illegal for slaves to read. Basically, you'd think we would take advantage of the opportunities that we have today. I don't care if it takes a black person a year to finish reading a book. Just read it. After all, we've got the freedom to read the same words that our ancestors had to sneak to read...
everything is about condtioning,or pyscological training.

In pysch 101 they teach that if you go to the cabinet where you keep the dog treats your dog will respond thinking he will get a treat.

A child who touches a hot stove at the age of four won't touch it again.

Slaves would get beat within an inch of thier lives,or get sold if they read something.

This is conditioning of the mind.

This is why most blacks don'tread. Conditioning.
JBB

Hendersonville, TN

#27 Sep 9, 2007
tommy wrote:
<quoted text>everything is about condtioning,or pyscological training.
In pysch 101 they teach that if you go to the cabinet where you keep the dog treats your dog will respond thinking he will get a treat.
A child who touches a hot stove at the age of four won't touch it again.
Slaves would get beat within an inch of thier lives,or get sold if they read something.
This is conditioning of the mind.
This is why most blacks don'tread. Conditioning.
That's a grand excuse to lay on your ass and let your women support you or live on welfare. There are plenty of sucessful Blacks with degrees that work everyday. Yall are just trashy.
Ashley

Denver, CO

#28 Sep 9, 2007
tommy wrote:
<quoted text> You have to have a healthy hatred for something that may plague you,or an unhealthy cycle. My father cheated on my mother.
It was hard on my mother,and my family.
So I hated the idea ofmen who cheated on thier wives,cuz of what it did to me,and my mother.
So guess what I won't do?
You won't cheat on a woman is my lucky guess to your question. Remember you said once a while back that there's a reason why my mind is conditioned to think a certain way about AA men? You are right...there's a reason for that, but I'd rather discuss that with you off-topix. Since your Father cheated on your mother, have you ever resented your Father at all? Like my parents have done with me, I am going to do the same with my future children if I ever have any. I'm going to spend as plenty time with them conversing about real issues even while they're at a young age because parents need to understand the importance of molding your child into something great while they're still growing.
Ashley

Denver, CO

#29 Sep 9, 2007
tommy wrote:
Don't get it twisted White people don't read either.
White people are just as ignorant as we are.
I have to agree with this ^^^^. Not many of them read as well and it shows right here just in the AA forum on topix. Some of them certainly are blissful in ignorance.

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Phillyburbs

#30 Sep 9, 2007
JBB wrote:
<quoted text>That's a grand excuse to lay on your ass and let your women support you or live on welfare. There are plenty of sucessful Blacks with degrees that work everyday. Yall are just trashy.
Huh? I'm confused by your comments. We're talking about blacks who do not READ books...
alshan

Hendersonville, TN

#31 Sep 9, 2007
yall buncha fools
For Equality

United States

#32 Sep 9, 2007
It seems like this is just a problem with today's generation of kids period. No one seems to want to read anymore because of technology.
I grew up in a family that was education oriented so I spent a lot of time reading books growing up, and I loved it. Every summer we would go to the Bookmobile (a library on wheels) and do the summer reading club. We'd spend hours reading for fun before going out to play.

I think reading does need to be stressed more.

Since: Sep 07

Ocala, FL

#33 Sep 12, 2007
I've been out of comission for a while (family issues)so ow I'm trying to catch up on my own topic.

Since: Sep 07

Ocala, FL

#34 Sep 12, 2007
Ben-Oni Theodore wrote:
<quoted text>
Its not an issue of reading, because I see kids read all the time. its "what" they're reading thats a concern of mine!
Exactly! It is what they are reading. For some children though I'm happier to see them reading at all.

Since: Aug 07

Brooklyn, NY

#35 Sep 12, 2007
Hmm I wonder wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly! It is what they are reading. For some children though I'm happier to see them reading at all.
"the only thing thats worse than one is none!"

“Holdin' it down. ”

Since: Jul 07

Plant City, FL

#37 Sep 12, 2007
I think this saying does have a lot of truth to it. Once at work, I was reading a newspaper. The black girl next to me asked me what an article that I was reading was about, I told her I was doen and she could read it. She said "Uh uh, I aint readin' all that". I said that it was only 5 paragraghs, and she angrily repeated her statement. And I also belives it has nothing to do with slavery. Slavery ended in 1865, it is 2007, it's been 142 years. No one alive knows anyone who was a slave. It's all on us.
Mulholland

United States

#38 Sep 12, 2007
Crispy Attucks wrote:
Blacks don't read because most books are written by non-blacks. Blacks hate everything white and that includes books.
What would Black write about?
Welfare
Drug dealing
making bastard babies
Stealing
Gangs
Murder
Freebies from the ignorant guilty white bleeding hearts that furnish food and clothing
sex with his mama
his ho
his bitch...
Those that do write steal from white writers Alex Haley
Maya Angelou
Stop with the trash talking. fool

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Phillyburbs

#40 Sep 12, 2007
Crispy Attucks wrote:
Blacks don't read because most books are written by non-blacks. Blacks hate everything white and that includes books.
No. "Some" blacks are not open-minded and rarely embrace other cultures...
MemyselfandI

New York, NY

#41 Sep 19, 2008
I was just reading a book before I got online and I am black. Actually the reason this thread came up in my browser was because I was searching on how to get out of america. I hate my habits due to being black raised in this society. I am not sure if my habits are from me or my conditioning, DNA or what but I so want to leave this country and yes live off of a women. I hate working for people because when we do work its down in the bowels of the business's with the mexicans who work dilengently but get treated like crap. Man I feel so confused and upset as I even type. Sorry to vent off of the topic but back to what I was originally stating I was reading before I typed anything. Not that it means anything but if you were curious I was reading "everything you always wanted to know about nutrition" by David Reuben
MemyselfandI

New York, NY

#42 Sep 19, 2008
by the way I do realize I could have used a spell check but what the hey its just another example of blacks being lazy and unintelligent right? ;)
DIMPLES

Philadelphia, PA

#43 Jul 17, 2010
Mulholland wrote:
<quoted text>What would Black write about?
Welfare
Drug dealing
making bastard babies
Stealing
Gangs
Murder
Freebies from the ignorant guilty white bleeding hearts that furnish food and clothing
sex with his mama
his ho
his bitch...
Those that do write steal from white writers Alex Haley
Maya Angelou
Stop with the trash talking. fool
Slavery ended in 1863 and who actually quoted this do you know?
HAVINGFUN

Edmond, OK

#44 Jul 17, 2010
Well as an older white man I realize times have changed. By the time I started the 7th grade I had read at least a thousand books. Now, a lot of them were thin and didn't have a lot of pages. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed reading.

Many, many times I would read under the covers with a flashlight. My mom would catch me! LOL!

In junior high I got hooked on science fiction. I read hundreds of science fiction stories. Again, a number of them were short.

In high school I continued to read and was tested at reading over 2000 words per minute with 90% retention.

My sons, however, don't read a whole lot. Their mother read to both of them almost every day of their lives until about the 2nd grade.

I find it really fascinating but scary that our technological achievements are growing so quickly at the same time our ignorance is going just as fast in the other direction.
Sointomyblacknes s

United States

#45 May 27, 2011
What person first said this what's is he or her name

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Police officers 5 min proud2BBlk 12
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min John Galt 1,233,691
why do white people hate other races so much 6 min PolakPotrafi 484
Are Polish bigger & more muscular than Blacks? 10 min PolakPotrafi 17
News Confessions of a black atheist 11 min audy17 579
News Must See: Black Family Receives Letter From Nei... 20 min blkpride 34
Why the Fk minimum wage is still 8.00 dollar in... 24 min Stupid Thread 5
Why do good looking black women like white men ... (Sep '12) 40 min Beautiful Creole 6,897
Van Sertima debunked! Afronazis Drowning in Tears! 49 min Don Barros Serrano 472
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 52 min Raada 120,853
Eminem is the greatest rapper alive 1 hr blkbeauty25 61
More from around the web