If you want to hide something from a ...

If you want to hide something from a black person, put it in a book.

Posted in the African-American Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Sep 07

Ocala, FL

#1 Sep 9, 2007
Has anybody else heard of this saying? Do you think it's true?
I think it is sad, but true. Not enough AA read, especially young people in lower income neighborhoods. I work in an elementary school in a AA neighborhood and met a 13 year old who could not read. I was pissed;how did this happen? The longer I worked their the better I understood. The problem was much bigger then just that child.
How can we fix this problem? How do we stress to the kids, young adults, parents, etc that you have to read to be aware?
Ashley

Denver, CO

#2 Sep 9, 2007
Maybe one reason is because many AA parents think it's silly to read TO their children while they are toddlers or still young. Make reading FUN for the kids that way they grow up to get used to it and become interested in what's out there. Also, train them to watch LESS television and READ MORE. It's not that hard.

Since: Aug 07

Brooklyn, NY

#3 Sep 9, 2007
Hmm I wonder wrote:
Has anybody else heard of this saying? Do you think it's true?
I think it is sad, but true. Not enough AA read, especially young people in lower income neighborhoods. I work in an elementary school in a AA neighborhood and met a 13 year old who could not read. I was pissed;how did this happen? The longer I worked their the better I understood. The problem was much bigger then just that child.
How can we fix this problem? How do we stress to the kids, young adults, parents, etc that you have to read to be aware?
Its not an issue of reading, because I see kids read all the time. its "what" they're reading thats a concern of mine!

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Phillyburbs

#4 Sep 9, 2007
I'll be honest. I do not know too many black people who are avid book readers. Heck, I've had black people cop an attitude with me because I often read books.

Personally, I believe that many black people aren't open-minded and refuse to embrace the world around them (us).

Level 2

Phillyburbs

#5 Sep 9, 2007
Ashley wrote:
Maybe one reason is because many AA parents think it's silly to read TO their children while they are toddlers or still young. Make reading FUN for the kids that way they grow up to get used to it and become interested in what's out there. Also, train them to watch LESS television and READ MORE. It's not that hard.
Hi,

Ashley...
Ashley

Denver, CO

#6 Sep 9, 2007
Knoxxie wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi,
Ashley...
Good morning there Knoxxie. I hope your day is going well.

Level 2

Since: Jul 07

Jamaica Queens, New York

#7 Sep 9, 2007
Black people do need to read more and become more educated but I never actually met someone that couldn't read except these two really old people I know.
tommy

Englewood, CO

#8 Sep 9, 2007
Ashley wrote:
It's deeper than that.

At one time black people weren't allow to read in slavery,or get an education. This is a physocological strong hold.

This is a seed. Every seed is produce after it's own kind.

It's a cycle.

Also you can't expect your child to read if you don't read.

A child must see a book in the parents hand.

Monkey see, monkey do.
tommy

Englewood, CO

#9 Sep 9, 2007
Don't get it twisted White people don't read either.

White people are just as ignorant as we are.

Since: Aug 07

Waldorf, MD

#10 Sep 9, 2007
Knoxxie wrote:
I'll be honest. I do not know too many black people who are avid book readers. Heck, I've had black people cop an attitude with me because I often read books.
Personally, I believe that many black people aren't open-minded and refuse to embrace the world around them (us).
I remember about 10 years ago it was like that for me. But AA women read all the time know. I wish there was more material that a AA man would be into.

Since: May 07

Upper Marlboro, MD

#11 Sep 9, 2007
Knoxxie wrote:
I think you maybe right about all of this. I guess it stems from the fact that black people assume that non-blacks wouldn't be interested them since they tend to hate us because of our skin color and this may make blacks feel more inclined to to embrace only there black culture. I think the release is also, "Why should I be interested in another culture when they aren't interested in our culture, as they only like us for our hip hop culture instead of our main culture?" Another likely possibility as to why blacks refuse to be open to more culture.
Ashley

Denver, CO

#12 Sep 9, 2007
tommy wrote:
<quoted text>It's deeper than that.
At one time black people weren't allow to read in slavery,or get an education. This is a physocological strong hold.
This is a seed. Every seed is produce after it's own kind.
It's a cycle.
Also you can't expect your child to read if you don't read.
A child must see a book in the parents hand.
Monkey see, monkey do.
I agree, but many people CAN overcome the psychological affects of slavery. You just have to love yourself more and learn about who you are, not what "whites" tell you. I'm speaking in general by the way. I read a lot because my parents read a lot and I saw with my own eyes growing up what they would read and they'd even make us read. It helped a lot with my reading skills as well as my writing skills. When I was a child I wasn't allowed to watch much television so the other option of entertainment was to read for us. Even until this very day, my Father still sends me great books. SOMEONE has to break the cycle though, like my parents have done, like THEIR parents have done, and my great grandparents have done.
mark

Lincoln, NE

#13 Sep 9, 2007
tommy wrote: Don't get it twisted White people don't read either.

and those kids grow up to be poor whites

“Don't taze me, bro!”

Since: Sep 07

USA

#14 Sep 9, 2007
tommy wrote:
I agree here. This is especially true in this age of distractions with TV, video games and internet.

Good call, Tommy.

Level 2

Phillyburbs

#15 Sep 9, 2007
tommy wrote:
True. But you'd think (we) blacks would pick up a book because it used to be illegal for slaves to read. Basically, you'd think we would take advantage of the opportunities that we have today. I don't care if it takes a black person a year to finish reading a book. Just read it. After all, we've got the freedom to read the same words that our ancestors had to sneak to read...

Since: May 07

Upper Marlboro, MD

#16 Sep 9, 2007
Ashley wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, but many people CAN overcome the psychological affects of slavery. You just have to love yourself more and learn about who you are, not what "whites" tell you. I'm speaking in general by the way. I read a lot because my parents read a lot and I saw with my own eyes growing up what they would read and they'd even make us read. It helped a lot with my reading skills as well as my writing skills. When I was a child I wasn't allowed to watch much television so the other option of entertainment was to read for us. Even until this very day, my Father still sends me great books. SOMEONE has to break the cycle though, like my parents have done, like THEIR parents have done, and my great grandparents have done.
Exactly, Ashley! I have been saying so many times ever since I first came to topix, that us blacks need to know our full and correct version of our black history to know who we really are and so we can love oursleves adn take great pride in our blackness. Like the old saying goes, the truth will set you free and in the case of us blacks, knowing all of our corrected history will set us free from mental slavery and the psychological effects it had on us.

Level 2

Phillyburbs

#18 Sep 9, 2007
A couple of years ago, I attended a Revoluntionary War re-enactment.(Washington crossing the Delaware River) Suffice to say, I was the only black there.
Buddy

Hendersonville, TN

#19 Sep 9, 2007
Knoxxie wrote:
A Mind Is a Terrible thing to waste..........
....On a Negro.
tommy

Englewood, CO

#20 Sep 9, 2007
Ashley wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it can be broken but you must see it. I know many people who are blind to the sin of their forefathers,which also plagued them.

You wouldn't believe how blind people are.

The blind will lead the blind.

A fool and water goes the way it's diverted.

As a dog returns to it's vomit,a fool returns to his foolishness.
Buddy

Hendersonville, TN

#21 Sep 9, 2007
Moytura wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree here. This is especially true in this age of distractions with TV, video games and internet.
Good call, Tommy.
Why twist the facts?
Go into any Library anywhere....White kids/Asian kids reading..Or being read to.
Seems you losers want to drag everybody down to your level. That won't happen.
Losers

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Harris County Deputy Murdered 5 min rebel111 33
I hate blackwomen with a passion!! 6 min Disco inferno 48
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min DBWriter 1,275,928
Egyptians are Caucasian, you stupid coons! (Apr '12) 22 min African AE 112
Why do people hate jews??????? (Jan '12) 25 min African AE 6
Egyptians in Egypt 32 min Fact 466
News Ga. debates Confederate carving set in stone an... 37 min rebel111 39
REPARATIONS: They Will Be Paid Sooner Or Later (Jan '15) 3 hr isolocurm 1,067
White men are better lovers? 5 hr wm12a 487
Healing The Black Race... 8 hr ohReally 344