The inner city vs. Suburbs
Nikki

Columbus, OH

#1 Jan 22, 2010
I am a black female who was raised in the suburbs and I noticed that black females in my city often "test" me or do not consider me one of them. I know not all blacks who live in the inner city, hood, or ghetto have this attitude, but the majority of them do.

What I mean by "test" me is that they tend to ask certain questions and give me this look like they already know who I am as far as they think I am stuck up, "white girl", etc.

Also what I mean by these certain females do not consider me one of them is that they think that im not "black enough".

I dont know, I just know that I sometimes see this divide between black people from the suburbs and blacks from the inner city.

Anyone else have a similar experience or also see this divide?

Since: Jan 07

Location Shown

#2 Jan 22, 2010
In other words, the company must protect African-Americans from other African-Americans.

The paper bag test

Each year, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission receives about 85,000 discrimination cases, a phenomenon to be expected in a society that touts itself as a "melting pot."

Many of these cases involve the complaints of minority groups against majority groups. We rarely expect a member of a minority group to discriminate against someone else in the same group. But that is exactly what happens among African-Americans.

More than any other minority group in the United States, blacks discriminate against one another. The discrimination, called "colorism," is based on skin tone: whether a person is dark-skinned or light-skinned or in the broad middle somewhere.

Most African-Americans refuse to discuss this self-destructive problem even in private. According to the EEOC, though, the number of such cases are steadily increasing, jumping from 413 in fiscal year 1994 to 1,382 in 2002, a figure that represents about 3 percent of all cases the agency receives yearly.

The most recent case making news in the black press involves two employees of an Applebee's restaurant in Jonesboro, Ga., near Atlanta. There, Dwight Burch, a dark-skinned waiter, who has left the restaurant, filed a lawsuit against Applebee's and his light-skinned African-American manager.

When slavery ended, light-skinned blacks established social organizations that barred darker ex-slaves. Elite blacks of the early 20th century were fair-skinned almost to the person. Even today, most blacks in high positions have fair skin tones, and most blacks who do menial jobs or are in prison are dark. Believe it or not, popular black magazines, such as Ebony as Essence, prefer light-skinned models in their beauty product ads.

Now for the irony of ironies: Applebee's has added a protection, along with cultural sensitivity training, against skin-tone discrimination to its antidiscrimination policies.

In other words, the company must protect African-Americans from other African-Americans.

Many of these cases involve the complaints of minority groups against majority groups. We rarely expect a member of a minority group to discriminate against someone else in the same group. But that is exactly what happens among African-Americans.

More than any other minority group in the United States, blacks discriminate against one another. The discrimination, called "colorism," is based on skin tone: whether a person is dark-skinned or light-skinned or in the broad middle somewhere.

The most recent case making news in the black press involves two employees of an Applebee's restaurant in Jonesboro, Ga., near Atlanta. There, Dwight Burch, a dark-skinned waiter, who has left the restaurant, filed a lawsuit against Applebee's and his light-skinned African-American manager.
Nikki

Columbus, OH

#3 Jan 22, 2010
Colorism is a problem in the black community, but I would like to see if anyone agrees of disagrees with me about the original post please.
Jawga Boy

Canton, GA

#4 Jan 22, 2010
It only points to the fact that Negroes are insanely JEALOUS of each other!

The "Crabs in the barrel" syndrome!
Nikki

Columbus, OH

#6 Jan 22, 2010
What exactly is the "Crabs in the barrel" syndrome?

I do not think that these certain females are jealous of me. By no means do I feel that I am someone that others should be jealous of. I do think that maybe of those females I had bad vibes/expereinces from had a bad experience with a black person from the suburb. I just notice at least here in Columbus ther seems to be a division between black people from the inner city and suburbs.

“"Superwoman"”

Level 2

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#7 Jan 22, 2010
Nikki wrote:
Colorism is a problem in the black community, but I would like to see if anyone agrees of disagrees with me about the original post please.
Yes Nikki, I know exactly what you are saying. Me and my siblings were raised in the surburbs and my mother and father kept us away from certain family members who lived in what we call the ghetto. My parents reason for keeping us away was not because my parents was trying to be better than anyone else but it was because they had different values and beliefs and they did not want their children around, profanity,drinking, smoking, vulgarity, and etc.

When I grew up and made my own choice to go around them and show them that I loved them, they always made me feel as though I thought I was better than them and it was very uncomfortable. What I learned was that "THEY" thought that I was better than them. They felt inferior and people who feel inferior to you, no matter who it is, will never truly be able to connect with you even if they deeply want to.
Innercity

Poole, UK

#8 Dec 7, 2012
All about the Innercity Life its how great things are started http://www.thedopest.co.uk/ #

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The WALL: How many will die? 1 min Drax112 21
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min sonicfilter 1,483,942
Only an idiot like Trump lies to the CIA 2 min Marcus Washington 30
Black girls on the beach 8 min Drax112 8
Married Men vs Single Men 21 min Drax112 2
News Being conservative is not being racist 22 min Quirky 136
No more BM/BW couple? Is black love dead? 29 min Dan snow 128
News Churchill bust back in Oval Office 53 min Ftrump 168
Racist blacks hate Trump because he is White 3 hr Drax112 35
Kelly Ann Conway 4 hr iamcuriousnow 28