Do black guys who don't act "black" h...

Do black guys who don't act "black" have a better chance at interracial dating?

Posted in the African-American Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Devin

Forsyth, GA

#1 Mar 9, 2014
So hey I'm a black guy who doesn't act "black". Whatever that means, I've been called out numerous times for not doings so too. I've also been called a Oreo, because I don't speak like a gangster or listen to much hip hop. Basically, I'm a web developer and dress like a prep or in stuff Aero, AE, Abercombie, Gap, Rue/Forever 21, etc.
Well to be honest I guess you could say I act like a white boy.
I know some people don't like black people, but I think it's mainly because of stereotypes that I don't fit so I think I might have a harder time.
Thanks for any help!

“Repent and worship God”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#2 Mar 9, 2014
Devin wrote:
So hey I'm a black guy who doesn't act "black". Whatever that means, I've been called out numerous times for not doings so too. I've also been called a Oreo, because I don't speak like a gangster or listen to much hip hop. Basically, I'm a web developer and dress like a prep or in stuff Aero, AE, Abercombie, Gap, Rue/Forever 21, etc.
I know some people don't like black people, but I think it's mainly because of stereotypes that I don't fit so I think I might have a harder time.
Thanks for any help!
Just be yourself!
Devin

Forsyth, GA

#3 Mar 9, 2014
@Phoenix Ascended

Thanks, this is pretty much who I am.
KIP

San Francisco, CA

#5 Mar 9, 2014
Devin wrote:
Thanks for any help!
Whatever you do be yourself.

You are under no obligation to "act black" for some people any more than you have to look white for white people. You are who who you are. If others cannot accept you for who you are, then move on away from those types. Gravitate to those not threatened by your presence and like who you choose to be.

“Repent and worship God”

Location hidden

#6 Mar 10, 2014
Devin wrote:
@Phoenix Ascended

Thanks, this is pretty much who I am.
You're welcome.

“ News”

Level 6

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#7 Mar 10, 2014
Devin wrote:
Thanks for any help!
To answer your question, it's probably yes. However, what you just described doesn't necessarily constitute acting white. Maybe you're listening to the wrong kind of black folks. Before jumping ship, perhaps you should seek an African-American female who has similar characteristics as yourself. I'm sure they face the same issue.
Race is trivial

Mountain View, CA

#8 Mar 10, 2014
KPITRL wrote:
<quoted text>
To answer your question, it's probably yes. However, what you just described doesn't necessarily constitute acting white. Maybe you're listening to the wrong kind of black folks. Before jumping ship, perhaps you should seek an African-American female who has similar characteristics as yourself. I'm sure they face the same issue.
Thats like finding a blue moon.

“ News”

Level 6

Location hidden

#9 Mar 10, 2014
Race is trivial wrote:
<quoted text>Thats like finding a blue moon.
What's like finding a blue moon, an African-American female who don't talk hood, or sometimes get told she doesn't act black?

“ News”

Level 6

Location hidden

#10 Mar 10, 2014
KPITRL wrote:
<quoted text>
What's like finding a blue moon, an African-American female who don't talk hood, or sometimes get told she doesn't act black?
Correction: and sometimes get told she doesn't act black. Not or.
Race is trivial

Mountain View, CA

#11 Mar 10, 2014
No I mean the ones who aren't hood who actually date black men that are fairly young like 20.

“ News”

Level 6

Location hidden

#12 Mar 10, 2014
Race is trivial wrote:
No I mean the ones who aren't hood who actually date black men that are fairly young like 20.
That is an issue these days I must admit, and the age goes well beyond 20. It seems it's either that, or they already been tapped by a white boy. If you find one who hasn't, and still carry herself with class, you'll be lucky...that's if pookie or ray ray don't get to her first. But believe it or not, there are still some out there.
Race is trivial

Mountain View, CA

#13 Mar 10, 2014
KPITRL wrote:
<quoted text>
That is an issue these days I must admit, and the age goes well beyond 20. It seems it's either that, or they already been tapped by a white boy. If you find one who hasn't, and still carry herself with class, you'll be lucky...that's if pookie or ray ray don't get to her first. But believe it or not, there are still some out there.
Thanks for c/s that on this forum every other poster acts like I'm delusional.
Jax

Ridgewood, NY

#14 Mar 11, 2014
Devin wrote:
Thanks for any help!
It would be easier to get white women if you act black. The Asians act white and they have no luck with women.

“Repent and worship God”

Location hidden

#15 Mar 11, 2014
Jax wrote:
<quoted text>It would be easier to get white women if you act black. The Asians act white and they have no luck with women.
Relay to us all what exactly acting black act equates to.

By the way, there's no such thing as acting black or acting white.
Jax

Ridgewood, NY

#16 Mar 11, 2014
Phoenix Ascended wrote:
<quoted text>
Relay to us all what exactly acting black act equates to.
By the way, there's no such thing as acting black or acting white.
Just go out to the street and see how da real brothas act. Swagger, mah sista. SWAGGER.

“Repent and worship God”

Location hidden

#17 Mar 11, 2014
Jax wrote:
<quoted text>Just go out to the street and see how da real brothas act. Swagger, mah sista. SWAGGER.
So you're telling us that black men who are high up the corporate ladder, for example, aren't real brothas.

Is that correct?
Jax

Ridgewood, NY

#18 Mar 11, 2014
Phoenix Ascended wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're telling us that black men who are high up the corporate ladder, for example, aren't real brothas.
Is that correct?
They act white and look down on the black community. So yeah, they are not real brothas.

“ News”

Level 6

Location hidden

#19 Mar 11, 2014
Jax wrote:
<quoted text>
They act white and look down on the black community. So yeah, they are not real brothas.
Some of them really aren't true brothers. The worst ones are the ones who pretend to be brothers more than brothers.
Devin

Forsyth, GA

#20 Mar 11, 2014
Jax wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't look down on the black community, I just don't like the "hood" thing. Everything else is fine.

I think there's two different types of "black communities". For example on my mom's side of the family, who I spend most of my time with always act "proper" and never "hood" if you will. They frown upon that. However, on my father's side it's a different story.

“Do good 4 the good of humanity”

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#21 Mar 11, 2014
What does acting White mean exactly? Speaking properly, dressing appropriately, and listening to classical music? I'm just curious as to what this really means.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
White Men Are Passive 4 min White and Nerdy 3
Oregon P.D. are Punks (Jan '16) 13 min 2 Dogs 399
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 53 min Cheech the Conser... 1,498,603
Why are yemen people black? (Jan '13) 1 hr muddman 59
Top 5 Passive Things White People Say 1 hr White and Nerdy 1
Black Women Think White Men Are Ugly 1 hr White and Nerdy 3
I want to have sexual intercourse w/ Beyonce 1 hr White and Nerdy 6
This good ol' boy never meant no harm! 2 hr Drilling for the ... 1,344
Why is the media pushing interracial relationsh... (Sep '14) 2 hr Burt 633
is it in a cracker's DNA to smell like a wet dog? 2 hr bruh 33
White guys are better in bed - according to bla... 4 hr Krisha 99
There Are Not Even 1 Billion Whites On Earth 8 hr Knoxxie 46
More from around the web