What race are Somalis?
First Prev
of 726
Next Last

Level 1

Since: Apr 07

Austin

#1 Aug 20, 2007
"Are they a seperate African race? Or are they mixed with Arabs and Europeans, to an extent which would explain their appearance.

Although craniofacially Somalis resemble Nordic (particularly Norwegian) people more than any other ethnic group, recent research has shown that the average Somali is genetically only 15% Caucasian, which includes Arabs, North Africans, as well as Europeans.

The rest of the Somali genome consists of 5% Sub-Saharan African genes, and the remaining 80% consists of Cushitic genes. Cushitic people are found largely in the Somalia, Ethiopia, and Eritrea, which are the main countries which constitute the Horn of Africa"

just wondering

Judged:

15

13

13

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Californication

Aliso Viejo, CA

#2 Aug 20, 2007
afro-Asiatic.
Sinajuavi

Appomattox, VA

#3 Aug 20, 2007
Yes, Somalis are mostly Ethiopioid. To clarify, the oldest African type are the khoisan. From them evolved two other groups, about 70,000 years ago: the Saharans (W African-Bantu) and Ethiopioid (what you called Cushitic).

Genetic analysis of African ethnic groups shows that MOST are mixed. Many West African groups have some Ethiopioid, most Ethiopioids have some khoisan and some Saharan, and so on.

In the northeast of Africa, there is indeed evidence of some back-migration of Eurasians ("Caucasian" is not a good term for this), but the notion that Ethiopians and nearby peoples represent Eurasians who returned to Africa is false. As you stated, the Somalis, and likewise Ethiopians, are mostly Ethiopioid, with only small admixture of Eurasian.

The resemblance of Ethiopioids to Eurasians is not due to Eurasian mixture, but due to the fact that they originally looked like that, and the Eurasians are in fact a subgroup of Ethiopioids! The Eurocentrics had it backwards...

Judged:

24

18

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
C-Bisquit

AOL

#4 Aug 20, 2007
Who cares? they already got superiority complex.

Judged:

16

16

2

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Level 1

Since: Apr 07

Austin

#5 Aug 20, 2007
C-Bisquit wrote:
Who cares? they already got superiority complex.
what do you mean by that?
C-Bisquit

AOL

#6 Aug 20, 2007
djhixx wrote:
<quoted text>what do you mean by that?
Eritreans, Ethiopians, and Somalis are racist against each other and other African people. Not all of em but some of em.

Level 1

Since: Apr 07

Austin

#7 Aug 20, 2007
C-Bisquit wrote:
<quoted text>
Eritreans, Ethiopians, and Somalis are racist against each other and other African people. Not all of em but some of em.
i want to know what race y'all would consider them as. they are dark as blacks but don't share common sub saharan features.
C-Bisquit

AOL

#8 Aug 20, 2007
They are black even they know that, what other race could they fall in. Most of them are darker than me if skin complexion is the issue, and like my daddy say "If you darker than me your black, Idont care what you think!". Why are you trying to chop black people up? Many of them are fighting over stupid issues like this.

Mack the Great

Since: May 07

Bethesda, MD

#9 Aug 20, 2007
djhixx wrote:
"Are they a seperate African race? Or are they mixed with Arabs and Europeans, to an extent which would explain their appearance.
Although craniofacially Somalis resemble Nordic (particularly Norwegian) people more than any other ethnic group, recent research has shown that the average Somali is genetically only 15% Caucasian, which includes Arabs, North Africans, as well as Europeans.
The rest of the Somali genome consists of 5% Sub-Saharan African genes, and the remaining 80% consists of Cushitic genes. Cushitic people are found largely in the Somalia, Ethiopia, and Eritrea, which are the main countries which constitute the Horn of Africa"
just wondering
They're blacks with little arabic ancestry just like the Amharas, Habeshas, Tigrayinya's of Ethiopia and Eritrea.

“ the Crusher of Bigots”

Since: Jul 07

Self Proclaimed Scholar

#10 Aug 20, 2007
Theyre black qnd they know it. Goes to show you the Caucasian skull theory is crap.

Judged:

15

10

9

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“"hate me cuz im a pretty chick”

Since: Aug 07

brooklyn, ny

#11 Aug 20, 2007
Afroqueen

Odense, Denmark

#12 Aug 21, 2007
djhixx wrote:
"Are they a seperate African race? Or are they mixed with Arabs and Europeans, to an extent which would explain their appearance.
Although craniofacially Somalis resemble Nordic (particularly Norwegian) people more than any other ethnic group, recent research has shown that the average Somali is genetically only 15% Caucasian, which includes Arabs, North Africans, as well as Europeans.
The rest of the Somali genome consists of 5% Sub-Saharan African genes, and the remaining 80% consists of Cushitic genes. Cushitic people are found largely in the Somalia, Ethiopia, and Eritrea, which are the main countries which constitute the Horn of Africa"
just wondering
Mixed with europeans and arabs? Are you serious? Im am originally from Somalia. Somalis are related to other black africans like oromos, afars, nubians, tutsis, fulanis, wolofs etc. We are muslims and thats pretty much all we share with the Arabs as well as being Afro-asiatic Cushetic people with a deep routed culture of the Horn of Africa. All of the Afro-asiatic languages are believed to have come from Ethiopia including the Semetic branch (Arabic, Ethiopic, Arhamaic etc etc) as accepted by most scholars of this day and age. There are many culture similarities as would also be expected with people of close proximity.
Somalis and other Cushetic groups have very little Eurasian ancestory including Arabs. However many Arabs and most Eastern Europeans especially Greeks carry our DNA, so essentially they look like us rather than the other way round as many people like to twist it.
Afroqueen

Odense, Denmark

#13 Aug 21, 2007
C-Bisquit wrote:
<quoted text>
Eritreans, Ethiopians, and Somalis are racist against each other and other African people. Not all of em but some of em.
That's true. Ethiopians and somalians are racist against eachother. The same goes for Ethiopians and Eritreans.
Afroqueen

Odense, Denmark

#14 Aug 21, 2007
djhixx wrote:
<quoted text> i want to know what race y'all would consider them as. they are dark as blacks but don't share common sub saharan features.
Black people look different. What about hausa, fulanis, tutsis, wolofs etc. Are they black or just dark? Get over it.
Afroqueen

Odense, Denmark

#15 Aug 21, 2007
C-Bisquit wrote:
They are black even they know that, what other race could they fall in. Most of them are darker than me if skin complexion is the issue, and like my daddy say "If you darker than me your black, Idont care what you think!". Why are you trying to chop black people up? Many of them are fighting over stupid issues like this.
Why isn't there any moderator on this forum?
Afroqueen

Odense, Denmark

#16 Aug 21, 2007
Sinajuavi wrote:
Yes, Somalis are mostly Ethiopioid. To clarify, the oldest African type are the khoisan. From them evolved two other groups, about 70,000 years ago: the Saharans (W African-Bantu) and Ethiopioid (what you called Cushitic).
Genetic analysis of African ethnic groups shows that MOST are mixed. Many West African groups have some Ethiopioid, most Ethiopioids have some khoisan and some Saharan, and so on.
In the northeast of Africa, there is indeed evidence of some back-migration of Eurasians ("Caucasian" is not a good term for this), but the notion that Ethiopians and nearby peoples represent Eurasians who returned to Africa is false. As you stated, the Somalis, and likewise Ethiopians, are mostly Ethiopioid, with only small admixture of Eurasian.
The resemblance of Ethiopioids to Eurasians is not due to Eurasian mixture, but due to the fact that they originally looked like that, and the Eurasians are in fact a subgroup of Ethiopioids! The Eurocentrics had it backwards...
Do you realise that scientists no longer accept outdated terminology such as caucasiod, negriod and mongoliod. Infact outdated theories such as that of Cartlon coon claimed that East Africans were caucasiod people with dark skin, such as the Somalis, when infact they are native black Africans adapted to their environment. Essentially the ancient Egyptians were similar to Horn Africans which is where they came from.

Judged:

16

15

15

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Afroqueen

Odense, Denmark

#17 Aug 21, 2007
djhixx wrote:
"Are they a seperate African race? Or are they mixed with Arabs and Europeans, to an extent which would explain their appearance.
Although craniofacially Somalis resemble Nordic (particularly Norwegian) people more than any other ethnic group, recent research has shown that the average Somali is genetically only 15% Caucasian, which includes Arabs, North Africans, as well as Europeans.
The rest of the Somali genome consists of 5% Sub-Saharan African genes, and the remaining 80% consists of Cushitic genes. Cushitic people are found largely in the Somalia, Ethiopia, and Eritrea, which are the main countries which constitute the Horn of Africa"
just wondering
Oh I get it now. You're not even black. You are Confused.

http://www.topix.com/forum/afam/THCCHB2TLG40U...
straightshooter

San Francisco, CA

#18 Aug 21, 2007
Afroqueen wrote:
<quoted text>
Why isn't there any moderator on this forum?
Because the moderator is white.LOL
Dishing it out but can't take it?
Tod

United States

#19 Aug 21, 2007
Somali people are black Africans plan and simple.Theres only 30,000 Arabs in the entire contry of Somalia so it's not possible for all of us to be mixed with them.

P.S Arabs are evil.

Judged:

18

16

15

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Afroqueen

Odense, Denmark

#20 Aug 21, 2007
Tod wrote:
Somali people are black Africans plan and simple.Theres only 30,000 Arabs in the entire contry of Somalia so it's not possible for all of us to be mixed with them.
P.S Arabs are evil.
Most of these 30.000 arabs are mixed with somalis. if they go to an arab country they will be considered Somalis/black african.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 726
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
McDonald's to open restaurants run by robots 3 min enoch powell 60
I do not like black men 3 min Stupid Thread 19
New Racist Chinese Ad 3 min Jax 24
Poll Will Donald Trump be the next President of the ... (Aug '15) 8 min TheOriginalDoby 1,457
Why Did a "Black" U.S. President?... 11 min DerekJ 10
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 19 min TeaRumpster 1,383,503
Islam an empire of faith (Oct '12) 23 min enoch powell 6,886
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 1 hr Don Barros Serrano 44,882
"American Sniper" Chris Kyle=Liar 2 hr KIP 60
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 3 hr You knew 134,279
More from around the web