why don't most black women wear makeup

Posted in the African-American Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Dec 07

Chesterfield, MO

#1 Jan 12, 2008
and i am not saying this is a bad thing because i love it, but with so many other people wearing makeup why is it most black girls i encounter don't?
kyra

Kingston, Canada

#3 Jan 12, 2008
omg.. i wonder about this too! I see some girls and their faces are not taken care of. And then they can't even wear makeup to cover it up. Like if you're not gonna keep your face acne free, or if you're not able to (or whatever), then at least cover it up well.

“Concrete Rose”

St Louis, MO

#4 Jan 12, 2008
Proud 5 percenter wrote:
and i am not saying this is a bad thing because i love it, but with so many other people wearing makeup why is it most black girls i encounter don't?
I wear Mac..but I have very good skin..don't want to ruin it w/all that foundation and crap. I only fix my face up to go out or when we go out to eat. I do put on a colored gloss and some mascara(to make my eyes look wide awake) before going to work though.
msnunyaUSA

United States

#5 Jan 12, 2008
kyra wrote:
omg.. i wonder about this too! I see some girls and their faces are not taken care of. And then they can't even wear makeup to cover it up. Like if you're not gonna keep your face acne free, or if you're not able to (or whatever), then at least cover it up well.
I am not Black, but I found that I stopped breaking out when I didn't wear foundation anymore! So what you are saying is not really good because it increases the chances of having bad skin.
WHITE GAL

Whittier, CA

#6 Jan 12, 2008
kyra wrote:
Most black women (that I've seen) have natural beauty. They don't need a bunch of pore-clogging goop(unless, of course they are in the entertainment buz.)Have you notice that black women (expecially dark skinned black women) have absolutely NO wrinkles. I was amazed to discover that on of my co-worker was 67 years old. I really thought she was in her early 40s until I over heard her talking about retiring. I am almost jealous. lol

Chesterfield, MO

#7 Jan 12, 2008
kyra wrote:
i don't know about where you live but i see some beautiful black women with nice skin that don't wear makeup.
kyra

Kingston, Canada

#8 Jan 12, 2008
msnunyaUSA wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not Black, but I found that I stopped breaking out when I didn't wear foundation anymore! So what you are saying is not really good because it increases the chances of having bad skin.
so true. But if you wear the right kind of oil-free foundation, and make sure to wash it off b4 u go to sleep, trust me, you won't break out. Do the compact powders make you break out as well? It doesn't have to be liquid foundation.
msnunyaUSA

United States

#9 Jan 12, 2008
kyra wrote:
<quoted text>
so true. But if you wear the right kind of oil-free foundation, and make sure to wash it off b4 u go to sleep, trust me, you won't break out. Do the compact powders make you break out as well? It doesn't have to be liquid foundation.
I wouldn't use oil-free because I have dry skin. I have used that foundation that comes wet but is like pancake makeup, yet lighter, also. Powders are not good at covering and not moisturizing. I am thinking of trying that powder that is natural with all those colors together. I can't think of the name...

I don't like the look of foundation anymore! It looks like a mask to me. I don't wear makeup anymore. None of it. I am a natural person and don't like chemicals. I had a moisturizer/light foundation from Kiss My Face that is wonderful and natural. I heard that mainstream cosmetics have horrible things in them like mercury :(
kyra

Kingston, Canada

#10 Jan 12, 2008
msnunyaUSA wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't use oil-free because I have dry skin. I have used that foundation that comes wet but is like pancake makeup, yet lighter, also. Powders are not good at covering and not moisturizing. I am thinking of trying that powder that is natural with all those colors together. I can't think of the name...
I don't like the look of foundation anymore! It looks like a mask to me. I don't wear makeup anymore. None of it. I am a natural person and don't like chemicals. I had a moisturizer/light foundation from Kiss My Face that is wonderful and natural. I heard that mainstream cosmetics have horrible things in them like mercury :(
If you have dry skin, use an oil-free moisturizer b4 you put makeup on. That's what i do and it helps. When i was younger, i used to get frustrated with makeup too. And i almost gave up on it several times but i'm too insecure, lol. I always feel naked w/o it (even though ppl tell me i don't need it). I think girls just have to know how to use makeup correctly, which brands work for your skin-type, what looks good on you, etc. I know a lot of girls who (like you) get annoyed with it, and then stop bothering. p.s. do you also not wear lipgloss?? Mascara??
For Equality

Los Angeles, CA

#12 Jan 12, 2008
I would think that because before make-up companies didn't cater to the dark skin that black females may have. They would make only pastel and light colors that cater to the whiter audience. Therefore, if the mothers aren't wearing it, most likely the daughters won't.

I wear make-up, but only eye makeup. No foundation or powder. I used to and then couldn't figure out why. I have good smooth chocolately skin so there was no reason for me to cover it up.
BlackWomenLover

UK

#13 Jan 12, 2008
Black Women don't need make-up. They allready have a nautral aura that other ethnicities lack and use make-up to achieve.

With or without makeup Black Women are gorgeous.
msnunyaUSA

United States

#15 Jan 12, 2008
kyra wrote:
<quoted text>
If you have dry skin, use an oil-free moisturizer b4 you put makeup on. That's what i do and it helps. When i was younger, i used to get frustrated with makeup too. And i almost gave up on it several times but i'm too insecure, lol. I always feel naked w/o it (even though ppl tell me i don't need it). I think girls just have to know how to use makeup correctly, which brands work for your skin-type, what looks good on you, etc. I know a lot of girls who (like you) get annoyed with it, and then stop bothering. p.s. do you also not wear lipgloss?? Mascara??
Nope. Nothing now! I am 42 and I spent many, many years wearing eyeliner, blush, foundation, and even mascara and lipstick. I have a skin condition called seborrhea dermatitis (from what I have researched) which really flares up in winter. It means my skin sheds too quickly in certain places and also is scaly. In other words, on the scalp it doesn't just flake like dandruff, but is a dry layer over oily layer. It is embarrassing because sometimes I flake without knowing, even after applying moisturizer. It's not very noticeable, I am just self-conscious about it. I saw that when I went off vegan diet it worsened, so I am going back. That is, after I get rid of these free-range eggs and organic butter in my fridge, LOL
msnunyaUSA

United States

#16 Jan 12, 2008
BlackWomenLover wrote:
Black Women don't need make-up. They allready have a nautral aura that other ethnicities lack and use make-up to achieve.
With or without makeup Black Women are gorgeous.
I agree with you! Color is what foundation is all about! WW use it to "brighten up" their paleness (although there are some with a beautiful peaches and cream complexion who don't need it also!)
msnunyaUSA

United States

#17 Jan 12, 2008
SantanaBlack wrote:
<quoted text>I don't mind make up. However, I don't like no woman that wear alot of that shit. Its take away from there beauty.
That's why I stopped. I looked at myself and wondered what I was doing it for when I really looked better without it! I guess I was brainwashed by society. A woman told me once that I didn't need makeup and my bf asked me why I was doing it.

United States

#18 Jan 12, 2008
Maybe because they look pretty with out make up?
kyra

Kingston, Canada

#19 Jan 12, 2008
msnunyaUSA wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. Nothing now! I am 42 and I spent many, many years wearing eyeliner, blush, foundation, and even mascara and lipstick. I have a skin condition called seborrhea dermatitis (from what I have researched) which really flares up in winter. It means my skin sheds too quickly in certain places and also is scaly. In other words, on the scalp it doesn't just flake like dandruff, but is a dry layer over oily layer. It is embarrassing because sometimes I flake without knowing, even after applying moisturizer. It's not very noticeable, I am just self-conscious about it. I saw that when I went off vegan diet it worsened, so I am going back. That is, after I get rid of these free-range eggs and organic butter in my fridge, LOL
Oh cool.. you were Vegan?! That's really admirable. My cousin tried to go vegetarian but she started losing her hair as a result. So that scared me (but i've always been interested in it. If i ever do it, i would go Vegan. But it's harrrrrrrrrd. So i really respect anyone that does that). And maybe one day, i'll get enough courage and self confidence to not wear any makeup

p.s. i tend to have troublesome facial skin too. So i'm really strict w/ a skin care regimen, and what types of makeup i use.

Level 1

Since: May 07

Dodge City, KS

#20 Jan 12, 2008
I have dark features....that's pretty much...my make-up,I'm naturally beautiful in my own way.I don't even wear lipstick...yuck.I did go thru a phase wearing make last year and people started calling me a indian lol!

Level 1

Since: May 07

Dodge City, KS

#21 Jan 12, 2008
makeup strips your natural beauty and if you start wearing it alot, you gonna have to wear it all the time because..lol...you have to...I've seen people that after they take the makeup off look awful.I feel bad for the celebrities

Since: Nov 07

Brooklyn, NY

#22 Jan 12, 2008
Many Black woman don't wear make-up .I know they don't need it but i like when they wear lip stick and eye liner.
ttt

Nashville, TN

#23 Jan 12, 2008
I'm black.. I don't put that crap on my face even when I go out. Chapstick and lip gloss for me only. And also I look good without doing all that. I like to keep my face looking natural. It is not necessary in my opinion using that stuff over a long period of time does more harm than good to your skin. At least when I am with some guy.. you know what you see is what you get...I Just look at some of these celebrities when they take pictures of them w/o the makeup. You be thinking what the heck happened. Like a princess turning into a frog or something like that..It is a shame.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
All women prefer white men 3 min NotSoDivineMsM 2,568
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Signed up Tinka 1,190,998
Are blacks the ugliest race? (Feb '13) 7 min IDGAF90 158
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 9 min Carly HI YAH 109,308
H-E-L-P-!!! I dont wants to be black anymoe! 10 min iamcuriousnow 6
Any white guys excited for March 2,2015 Monday ... 14 min jtr304 4
any white males get turned on when they see a w... 17 min archh 1
New Study: White birth rate RISING in USA! 35 min TheOriginalDoby 41
why do white women love black men so much. (Dec '11) 1 hr The Truth Hurts 546
Are black people natural savages? (Nov '11) 1 hr Icky 1,319