Are the Tutsis of Rwanda originally from Somalia?

Posted in the African-American Forum

Comments (Page 52)

Showing posts 1,021 - 1,040 of1,161
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
hafsat

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2013

Judged:

some of them look like ethiopians and somalis.its true they came from ethiopia a long time ago. if u go to rwanda u will see most of them lokk ethiopian or somali. they have straight hair, lght skin.and some curly hair and a brown skin.a lot of somali are always mstaken they think my mom is somali.but, why? cause she looks like them
lewis

Lachine, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

hafsat wrote:
some of them look like ethiopians and somalis.its true they came from ethiopia a long time ago. if u go to rwanda u will see most of them lokk ethiopian or somali. they have straight hair, lght skin.and some curly hair and a brown skin.a lot of somali are always mstaken they think my mom is somali.but, why? cause she looks like them
This was addressed a while ago:

"Some Tutsis are lighter skinned, as are some Maasai and other Nilo-Hamites. However, all Tutsis have afro hair texture, just like the Maasai. This is well-known and has been measured in studies. Some Tutsi women chemically straighten their hair or wear weaves, but many still leave it in its natural state like the Tutsi children in the image below.

http://www.everyculture.com/images/ctc_01_img...

The Nilo-Hamitic Maasai and Samburu also have some Cushitic mixture. These groups seem to have retained a little bit more of that influence than have the Tutsi because they mixed less with Bantu speakers.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that, like the Tutsi, most Maasai and other Nilo-Hamites lack the sickle cell trait. They also possess the same genetic variant for lactose tolerance as the Tutsi.

So like others have stated, the evidence strongly indicates that the Tutsi are basically a Nilo-Hamitic people, like the Maasai and many other populations in the Great Lakes region. The Maasai are a proud people known for their military skill and organization, so this is something to celebrate and explore I think."

http://www.topix.com/forum/afam/T630CFK9S3UKC...

“Love Being Bantu Kenyan”

Level 5

Since: Jul 10

Lamu, Kenya

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Judged:

hafsat wrote:
The Tutsis are just Bantu, they look nothing like HOA.
josh

Kampala, Uganda

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Judged:

I want to know why Congolese r foolish i think dats why they bleach their faces.this is a reply to one stupid Congolese who called tutsi's beggers. what should the world do 4 for u if yo u have wealth that u can't put to use.let the wise use yo wealth Coz 4 u hv brains . The little brains u hv u use it to bleach yo faces.f****k u stupid Congolese monkey eater
Adam

Kigali, Rwanda

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

Tutsis and Hutus are not the same race! Hutus are bantus originating from West and Central Africa, while Tutsis are cushitic originating from East Africa - Ethiopia, Somalia, Sudan, Erithrea!

Having lived together for a 1,000 years surely has contributed to sharing the same language, cultures, nutrition, etc., but that doesn't mean they are the same ethnic group. Blacks and whites in America and South Africa have spent some centuries together, but are they the same ethnic group? The same goes for Hutus and Tutsis.
Asho

Eskilstuna, Sweden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Drabbo wrote:
<quoted text> In your response if have committed a classic fallacy that assumes that the current ethnic make up has a strictly precolonial logic -- very wrong -- what defines groups like gisu, bukusu and luhya is their colonial history -- otherwise in terms of pre-colonial social , biological and ethnic development there is actually zero distinction between kusu and gisu - they are in almost every definition the same people...their differences are as good as the internal differences that occur between say north and south bugisu-- infact there is actually more levels of cohesion between south bugisu and bukusu...than there is between south bugisu and north . What creates the current bonds betwen north and south is simply the fact that the colonial border did cut across Sironko( Budadiri). So how you are able to attribute an admix to bukusu and not attribute to even south bugisu can only be explained by an irrational impulse to negate anything nilotic and nilohamite ( a favourite pastime of many bantu groups). Then again you say you can do this by looking --- please introduce me to your eye doctor -- I would like to be able to visually identify dna of individuals.!!
Bukusu and gisus are are no doubt the same people. Many bukusu clan are found in Bugisu. There clans budadiri clans found among the bukusu. My point is bukusu béing neighbors of kalenjin, mixing has taken place. There are alsio kalenjin who have adopted the bukusu culture. You must know that as people move awy from each other they acquare their own characteristics.

“Love Being Bantu Kenyan”

Level 5

Since: Jul 10

Lamu, Kenya

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

Adam wrote:
Tutsis and Hutus are not the same race! Hutus are bantus originating from West and Central Africa, while Tutsis are cushitic originating from East Africa - Ethiopia, Somalia, Sudan, Erithrea!
Having lived together for a 1,000 years surely has contributed to sharing the same language, cultures, nutrition, etc., but that doesn't mean they are the same ethnic group. Blacks and whites in America and South Africa have spent some centuries together, but are they the same ethnic group? The same goes for Hutus and Tutsis.
You are an idiot, Tutsis and Hutus are the same race, And Cuchitic/Bantu is just a linguistics groups, not a racial groups.

Level 3

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

KenyanBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
The Tutsis are just Bantu, they look nothing like HOA.
i agree
josh

Kampala, Uganda

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

KenyanBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are an idiot, Tutsis and Hutus are the same race, And Cuchitic/Bantu is just a linguistics groups, not a racial groups.
You definately are a worse idiot. Why dont you first tell us who is a better idiot, kikuyu or luo? Then tell us if they are same race before the court gives a final judgement, then you go for your each others heads as usual,,,,very stupid...remove the spek in your eye before you remove your neighbors...LOL
BMT

Eskilstuna, Sweden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

josh wrote:
<quoted text>You definately are a worse idiot. Why dont you first tell us who is a better idiot, kikuyu or luo? Then tell us if they are same race before the court gives a final judgement, then you go for your each others heads as usual,,,,very stupid...remove the spek in your eye before you remove your neighbors...LOL
Your post does not make sense.
josh

Kampala, Uganda

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

BMT wrote:
<quoted text>
So his that is abusive and lucks depth makes sense.
josh

Kampala, Uganda

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

BMT wrote:
<quoted text>
Figure it out.

Level 3

Since: Nov 07

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

Mukasa wrote:
<quoted text>My son you are going too fast. When the Europeans came...lucky I was born under colonialism but I saw how they praised Buganda kingdom. They said it was similar to theirs back home in several ways like administration, military, and monarchy etc. Yes even at that time they said that the Tutsi monarchy was something they had never witnessed anywhere in Africa or in their conquests else where. The Tutsi one mesmerised them in many ways. The dance, the military, the administration and the generally very beautifull looks of these people. What Speke saw he said as it were. There were no lies to benefit anyone at the time. This balderdash of later day spinners that anyone at that time even knew about Ethiopia is just small talk. Spekes book is their and it was long before colonialism and all that stuff. Looking like Europeans actually was not advantageous, the ones available looked terrible...hahaha. The Buganda kingdom, the Tutsi kingdom and several other things in Africa compared very well with Europe and even bettered it. What we have to focus more on is the sudden decline of Africa at one point in history, and what the cause may have been. Comparing with Europe was by the first explorers who reported as they saw. The Hutu academics just used looks to connect with Ethiopia. Someone here posted Kagame Paul greeting the somali ambasador I think to Ethiopia and you can hardly tell the two men apart. That type of resemblance even under biological analysis cannot be ignored. That is what we call the crux. It is not a Tutsi thing, infact they were pushed into it as they started interacting with the World. I can see that this discussion was not started by a
Tutsi but by a somali who actually thinks the two people resemble. The conditions for any thing in this world can never be the same so bringing in Yoruba and what not may not quite fly in this discussion.
Speke..did not think that the advanced political system he found in the interlacustrine region was indigenous in origin -- he believed it was brought there by an influeunce from Europe ....and since Ethiopia was a Christian nation (assumed to be be influenced by europe--- though we know christinanity came to ethiopia before it went to europe) it was assumed that anything that has some measure advanced organization must have been channelled via Ethiopia. So the preoccuation then becomes finding any linkages ( racial, cultural etc) to Europe via Ethiopia - thus the hamitic Myth. My point is its shallow to make assumptions about the history of people because 'they resemble' each other. Tutsi are Nilo Hamites they actually resemble Masai, Kalejin, Samburu, Rendille, Galla and even some Bantu groups like Kikuyu than they do Ethiopians--- why not make the strong linkages to these other Nilohamitics - by your logic they are actually more closer to Tutsi. Secondly now we know that the advanced political and social organization in Buganda and the region was Started by a Bantu agricultural civilization.... and was followed by invasions of nilotic and Nilohamite clans. There is not a single Nilohamitic group in east africa that founded a Kingdom . Pastoralist groups in east africa did not form permanent settlements with central social and political organization.
asho

Eskilstuna, Sweden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

Drabbo wrote:
<quoted text> Speke..did not think that the advanced political system he found in the interlacustrine region was indigenous in origin -- he believed it was brought there by an influeunce from Europe ....and since Ethiopia was a Christian nation (assumed to be be influenced by europe--- though we know christinanity came to ethiopia before it went to europe) it was assumed that anything that has some measure advanced organization must have been channelled via Ethiopia. So the preoccuation then becomes finding any linkages ( racial, cultural etc) to Europe via Ethiopia - thus the hamitic Myth. My point is its shallow to make assumptions about the history of people because 'they resemble' each other. Tutsi are Nilo Hamites they actually resemble Masai, Kalejin, Samburu, Rendille, Galla and even some Bantu groups like Kikuyu than they do Ethiopians--- why not make the strong linkages to these other Nilohamitics - by your logic they are actually more closer to Tutsi. Secondly now we know that the advanced political and social organization in Buganda and the region was Started by a Bantu agricultural civilization.... and was followed by invasions of nilotic and Nilohamite clans. There is not a single Nilohamitic group in east africa that founded a Kingdom . Pastoralist groups in east africa did not form permanent settlements with central social and political organization.
The tutsi, Masai, Kalenjin, Samburu, Rendille and Bantu groups like Kikuyu, meru and kamba, to some extent, resemble Ethiopians and other cushitites because they are mixed with them. Masai, samburu, rendelle are about 45% cushitic. Kikuyu and Kamba are about 20% cushitic. Tutsi are could be up to 50% cushitic.
Mukasa

Kampala, Uganda

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

asho wrote:
<quoted text>
The tutsi, Masai, Kalenjin, Samburu, Rendille and Bantu groups like Kikuyu, meru and kamba, to some extent, resemble Ethiopians and other cushitites because they are mixed with them. Masai, samburu, rendelle are about 45% cushitic. Kikuyu and Kamba are about 20% cushitic. Tutsi are could be up to 50% cushitic.
You too think the Tutsi are cushitic, the starter of this discussion is not a Tutsi but somali, Speke was not a Tutsi, You Asho may not be a Tutsi, I for one arent Tutsi, but we all think they are Cushitic and perhaps from the Horn or even the Levant. It is not the Tutsi thinking or instigating. It is a physical deduction which may prove that they have links there. Note my use of the word MAY. It is not a Tutsi concept though some may jump on it for reasons best known to them, but most of us think they have a link for reasons well brought out here on this discussion.
asho

Eskilstuna, Sweden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Mukasa wrote:
<quoted text> You too think the Tutsi are cushitic, the starter of this discussion is not a Tutsi but somali, Speke was not a Tutsi, You Asho may not be a Tutsi, I for one arent Tutsi, but we all think they are Cushitic and perhaps from the Horn or even the Levant. It is not the Tutsi thinking or instigating. It is a physical deduction which may prove that they have links there. Note my use of the word MAY. It is not a Tutsi concept though some may jump on it for reasons best known to them, but most of us think they have a link for reasons well brought out here on this discussion.
Tutsi are indigenous East Africans like the masai, samburu, rendelle, kalenjin and HOA. These people have mixed with each other. Bantu came later to the region. Whether the tutsi came to central later, it does not make them foreigners. Tutsi do have cushitic and bantu admixture to doubt. Some say they are genetically similar to Hutu(I do not believe they are genetically "identical" to hutu as some claim).
The Color Blurple Nurple

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

jayrag wrote:
<quoted text>
The Dinka's of Sudan are just as tall as the Tutsi's. So maybe they are related. But the Dinka look more Congo-Bantu than Kushitic.
Africans have the most diverse dna of any race. At one time all Africans were related when homo sapiens first appeared in East Africa.
yes Africans are diverse.thats why all they phenotypes they have either look the dam same or are only diverse due to outside mixing(ie Mauritania,Somalia etc)

amazing how the supposedly mos dibberse pipples have the same eye color,same hair color,same hair texture,same skin color and same phenotype

Level 3

Since: Nov 07

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

The Color Blurple Nurple wrote:
<quoted text>
yes Africans are diverse.thats why all they phenotypes they have either look the dam same or are only diverse due to outside mixing(ie Mauritania,Somalia etc)
amazing how the supposedly mos dibberse pipples have the same eye color,same hair color,same hair texture,same skin color and same phenotype
Somalians are cushitic...they are not a "mixed race'-- they are in-fact one the oldest African populations.
Nasiru Hosea Kasumbein

Kampala, Uganda

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

I am a Mugisu from the extreme northern part of Bulambuli but whenever the bagisu from the south meet me, they always tell me that I look like the Sabinys. In fact I had a hard time in Nabumali High School explaining to people that i am not a sabiny even when i was able to speak all the Lugisu dialects fluently and knew very few or almost no word in sabiny. This is even worse when I meet people from western Uganda because they always think I am a Muhima and they just start speaking their language to me right away. The annoying thing is that my father keeps telling that I do not look like Bagisu and I always keep asking myself how is a Mugisu is supposed to look yet I resemble him and some of my paternal and maternal cousins. I hate this whole thing of people owning looks and forgetting that that there no pure people in this world. Tribe is a social setting, it has nothing to do with looks, wealth, and genetics. The most important thing is common culture and language.
BMT

Eskilstuna, Sweden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Drabbo wrote:
<quoted text> Somalians are cushitic...they are not a "mixed race'-- they are in-fact one the oldest African populations.
Not true. Somalis are mixed race. People who look like somalis are all found in the proximity of non-Black africans and euro-asians. None found in the interior. From mauritania though upp egypt to horner of africa. Somalis are supposed to have entered HOA 3-4000 years ago from north africa. Beside that they carry some neanderthal dna like the euro-asians they mixed with. Masai who heavily mixed with cushitic do have neanderthal dna.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1,021 - 1,040 of1,161
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••