Beyoncé L'Oreal ad controversy inspir...

Beyoncé L'Oreal ad controversy inspires black community backlash

Posted in the African-American Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Truth Be Told

Wilmington, MA

#2 Feb 9, 2012
It's pretty clear Beyonce wants to accentuate her European features.

But this is not unusual amongst black American women. Just look at how many of them wear wigs. MILLIONS.

It's crazy. I love seeing black women with natural hair, either short cropped or dreadlocked.

For me half of beauty is self acceptance and self love.

When you respect yourself on that level, you radiate inner and outer beauty.
veronica red

United States

#3 Feb 9, 2012
I personally feel that there is nothing wrong with the commerical she is simply mentioning her heritage which gives her, her unique skintone. If you notice there is another commerical with a white model an she mentions her 3 heritages which gives her, her unique skintone. Wake up people its 2012 you are who you are no need to hide anymore. Beyonce and JLO are two different people if JLO wants to say 100% Puerto Rican that's her thing. Anybody who went to school knows Puerto ricans are mixed race people. The funny thing is I've never seen the ad with JLO
kati

Columbus, OH

#4 Feb 9, 2012
Beyonce doesn't have any pure non blacks in her family tree. Haowever, it isn't Beyonce's fault the masses are simply uncomfortable and angry when blacks have the type of beauty that Beyonce has. She's a black woman and that bothers a lot of people.
Truth Be Told

Wilmington, MA

#5 Feb 9, 2012
kati wrote:
Beyonce doesn't have any pure non blacks in her family tree. Haowever, it isn't Beyonce's fault the masses are simply uncomfortable and angry when blacks have the type of beauty that Beyonce has. She's a black woman and that bothers a lot of people.
It does? Give me an example.
kati

Columbus, OH

#6 Feb 9, 2012
Truth Be Told wrote:
<quoted text>
It does? Give me an example.
The ad itself. How many celebrities have had to do such things? The BET website was once bouncing around with all the hatred so many ww would throw claiming Beyonce wasn't black when clearly she is. Her "look" isn't unique at all to blacks and the bottom line is she doesn't have any pure non blacks in her family. She is constantly challenged to change her features to appease the masses while she herself just wants to entertain and make money.
joyce

West Palm Beach, FL

#7 Feb 11, 2012
i believe that Beyonce should be the one to make it clear to l'oreal that she is black, why is it that when you are a little fair skinned you have to be mix what wrong with just being black i am black and there are other ethnicity in my family but my father is black and the seed carrier is the one that determine the race of a child not the mother i have native american an whites in my family linage even when people ask me what am i mixed with i alway say i'm black isn't that ok or do i have to be of another race to be ok black people be proud of who you are we are the parent race of all people we could all say the we are of mixed linage when it really gets down to it beyonce is black she doesn't look like she's anything else this should be an insult to her and her father. AGAIN BEYONCE SHOULD MAKE SURE L'OREAL GET IT RIGHT.1841
Mamabunny

Plymouth, MI

#8 Feb 11, 2012
Truth Be Told wrote:
It's pretty clear Beyonce wants to accentuate her European features.
But this is not unusual amongst black American women. Just look at how many of them wear wigs. MILLIONS.
It's crazy. I love seeing black women with natural hair, either short cropped or dreadlocked.
For me half of beauty is self acceptance and self love.
When you respect yourself on that level, you radiate inner and outer beauty.
Exactly. Just look at the Braxton sisters--all whitewashed, straight wigs, plastic noses and Trina Braxton is a wannabe valley girl.

“The Love Below”

Level 8

Since: Apr 10

ATL

#9 Feb 14, 2012
People get the term African American, and black american wrong. Who should be considered which one? Personally, black americans should be the decendants of the first blacks who came to american. African American should be for Africans. Also, keeping to the term African American, its not a accurate term at all. Anyone with African roots can say they are African American, thats wrong, its like a assimilation thing in america, they group all African decendants togeter, its wrong. African American, the term, does not mean pure black, but so man black immigrants are coming here. I dont identify with them. Many dont want to be labeled AA anyway, and I can understand why. The label is faulty

“TOO STRONG TO BE BROKEN”

Level 1

Since: Nov 08

PITTSBURGH

#10 Feb 14, 2012
They don't know what to call us but why..........

Mack

Altadena, CA

#11 Feb 14, 2012
BROWNMAN20 wrote:
http://www.thegrio.com/special s/life-and-style/beyonce-descr ibes-herself-as-african-americ an-native-american-french-in-n ew-loreal-ad.php
Beyoncé Knowles is featured in a new L'Oreal commercial for a foundation system called True Match. In the advertisement, Knowles states, "There's a story behind my skin. It's a mosaic of all the faces before it. My only make-up? True Match."
Knowles' heritage is described in the ad as "African-American, Native American" and "French" as these words dissolve onto the screen, describing the "mosaic" that composes Beyoncé's skin tone. The selling point of the range is that its pigments provide coverage based on the unique undertones of one's dermis, which might logically necessitate a detailed description of the star's ancestry.
Yet by contrast, Jennifer Lopez's True Match commercial describes the Latina talent as "100% Puerto Rican." Beyoncé's depiction as multiracial in this context has led to criticism.
Popular gossip bloggers have led discussions about the perception that Beyonce's True Match commercial intentionally attempts to highlight her non-black heritage in order to distance the star from African-Americans. After L'Oreal suffered from an international backlash for lightening Beyoncé's skin in a 2008 print campaign, underscoring her non-African background in this advertisement is seen as another disavowal of the singer's black roots.
I was a little surprised by the commercial, but most Black Americans like myself don't claim the white in this manner because it is based on rape. And Beyonce doesn't really look all that mixed anyway. I know she likes to wear the blonde wigs and weaves, but she just looks like a typical Black American, that is why I do not understand all this talk about her so called mixture?

“The Love Below”

Level 8

ATL

#12 Feb 14, 2012
Mack wrote:
<quoted text>
I was a little surprised by the commercial, but most Black Americans like myself don't claim the white in this manner because it is based on rape. And Beyonce doesn't really look all that mixed anyway. I know she likes to wear the blonde wigs and weaves, but she just looks like a typical Black American, that is why I do not understand all this talk about her so called mixture?
I have seen mixed women look blacker than Beyonce. All that mixing is not from slave rape. They traced Morgan Freedmen roots, and Tom Joyners, those men only had biracial kids with black women, and they loved, and lived next door to them, because they could not live together. Even though I know, and believe, that rape occured, a lot of mixing happened after slavery time. Their is a misconception with our European roots. Also, many irish women, when indentured servitude first started, had kids with black men. Its very complexed, but the stereotype is rape.
pipelayer

Lansdowne, PA

#13 Feb 14, 2012
BROWNMAN20 wrote:
People get the term African American, and black american wrong. Who should be considered which one? Personally, black americans should be the decendants of the first blacks who came to american. African American should be for Africans. Also, keeping to the term African American, its not a accurate term at all. Anyone with African roots can say they are African American, thats wrong, its like a assimilation thing in america, they group all African decendants togeter, its wrong. African American, the term, does not mean pure black, but so man black immigrants are coming here. I dont identify with them. Many dont want to be labeled AA anyway, and I can understand why. The label is faulty
I also think aas should be called black Americans. As for Africans in america. We are simply Africans. If we want to hyphenate our nationality we will go as Nigerian American, Ghanaian American and so on.

“The Love Below”

Level 8

ATL

#14 Feb 14, 2012
pipelayer wrote:
<quoted text>
I also think aas should be called black Americans. As for Africans in america. We are simply Africans. If we want to hyphenate our nationality we will go as Nigerian American, Ghanaian American and so on.
Yes! Im proud of my African roots, but we are not african anymore. Our blood line is African, European, and Native american, to every degree, some more African, some less African.
Mack

Altadena, CA

#15 Feb 14, 2012
BROWNMAN20 wrote:
<quoted text>I have seen mixed women look blacker than Beyonce. All that mixing is not from slave rape. They traced Morgan Freedmen roots, and Tom Joyners, those men only had biracial kids with black women, and they loved, and lived next door to them, because they could not live together. Even though I know, and believe, that rape occured, a lot of mixing happened after slavery time. Their is a misconception with our European roots. Also, many irish women, when indentured servitude first started, had kids with black men. Its very complexed, but the stereotype is rape.
I can understand what you're saying, but for my family as far as I know it was rape, especially involving the last known slaves, which were my grandmother's grandparents.
Professor Fate

Houston, TX

#16 Feb 14, 2012
BROWNMAN20 wrote:
http://www.thegrio.com/special s/life-and-style/beyonce-descr ibes-herself-as-african-americ an-native-american-french-in-n ew-loreal-ad.php
Beyoncé Knowles is featured in a new L'Oreal commercial for a foundation system called True Match. In the advertisement, Knowles states, "There's a story behind my skin. It's a mosaic of all the faces before it. My only make-up? True Match."
Knowles' heritage is described in the ad as "African-American, Native American" and "French" as these words dissolve onto the screen, describing the "mosaic" that composes Beyoncé's skin tone. The selling point of the range is that its pigments provide coverage based on the unique undertones of one's dermis, which might logically necessitate a detailed description of the star's ancestry.
Yet by contrast, Jennifer Lopez's True Match commercial describes the Latina talent as "100% Puerto Rican." Beyoncé's depiction as multiracial in this context has led to criticism.
Popular gossip bloggers have led discussions about the perception that Beyonce's True Match commercial intentionally attempts to highlight her non-black heritage in order to distance the star from African-Americans. After L'Oreal suffered from an international backlash for lightening Beyoncé's skin in a 2008 print campaign, underscoring her non-African background in this advertisement is seen as another disavowal of the singer's black roots.
No one is more guilty at disavowing Beyonce's black roots than Beyonce herself. She wants to be known as a French Creole with heavy emphasis on the "French".

“The Love Below”

Level 8

ATL

#17 Feb 15, 2012
Professor Fate wrote:
<quoted text> No one is more guilty at disavowing Beyonce's black roots than Beyonce herself. She wants to be known as a French Creole with heavy emphasis on the "French".
I kinda wish mixed people can call themselves mixed. Her tail is mixed, heavily. I dont believe her mother was carrying a huge percentage of African DNA in her. I suspect Beyonce is close to half white, hell, she may be. Her father is black, but hes from America, whos to know how much of what its our blood. One thing for sure, she is black in America, and she always calls herself black.
veronica red

United States

#18 Feb 15, 2012
BROWNMAN20 wrote:
<quoted text>I kinda wish mixed people can call themselves mixed. Her tail is mixed, heavily. I dont believe her mother was carrying a huge percentage of African DNA in her. I suspect Beyonce is close to half white, hell, she may be. Her father is black, but hes from America, whos to know how much of what its our blood. One thing for sure, she is black in America, and she always calls herself black.
I totally agree with you as black Americans people tend to have this misconception that we are pure African with slave rape white admixture. Far from the truth You can tell that BEYONCE is definitely not a pure African and she does look like what she actually African,French and native American her natural her is wavy not coarse at all. She is an entertainer and they all wear wigs and weaves MARY J BLIDGE wears BLONDE weave all the time and you never hear people say Mary wants to be white or look more like her European roots. Its about time that we start telling the TRUTH about our racial makeup. To tell people about your heritage is not trying to take away from the fact that we are black Americans. I also feel because has such a clean image people are always trying to find a way to belittle her. Jealousy is a real problem within the black community I feel its the WILLIE LYNCH SYNDROME alive an well in 2012. It doesn't matter if he was real or not his concept is deeply imbedded in our minds. Good hair vs bad hair,light skin vs dark skin, ghetto vs surburban,
young vs old,black man vs black woman. We are
still mentally ill from the effects of slavery and its
sad. We also have black people trying to tell other black people what black means. If one black person has no known admixture other than slavery then they think their history applies to all black people wrong. We are all mixed up either from slavery or from a couples of generations ago some of us have native American admixture and some don't. These days black American still means someone with African ancestory not counting the other blood in our veins its like we have to ignore our admixture to be apart of team black. I am lite skin and was teased and called white girl most of my childhood. Now I am older I happen to know why my skin is so light and it ain't from slavery. I also witnessed the boys calling some girls tar baby and chocobliss and burnt cookie in school those girls also grew up with insecurities. Our race is a hot mess and I don't think things will ever be right. Its to late to many deeply imbedded issues

“The Love Below”

Level 8

ATL

#19 Feb 15, 2012
veronica red wrote:
<quoted text> I totally agree with you as black Americans people tend to have this misconception that we are pure African with slave rape white admixture. Far from the truth You can tell that BEYONCE is definitely not a pure African and she does look like what she actually African,French and native American her natural her is wavy not coarse at all. She is an entertainer and they all wear wigs and weaves MARY J BLIDGE wears BLONDE weave all the time and you never hear people say Mary wants to be white or look more like her European roots. Its about time that we start telling the TRUTH about our racial makeup. To tell people about your heritage is not trying to take away from the fact that we are black Americans. I also feel because has such a clean image people are always trying to find a way to belittle her. Jealousy is a real problem within the black community I feel its the WILLIE LYNCH SYNDROME alive an well in 2012. It doesn't matter if he was real or not his concept is deeply imbedded in our minds. Good hair vs bad hair,light skin vs dark skin, ghetto vs surburban,
young vs old,black man vs black woman. We are
still mentally ill from the effects of slavery and its
sad. We also have black people trying to tell other black people what black means. If one black person has no known admixture other than slavery then they think their history applies to all black people wrong. We are all mixed up either from slavery or from a couples of generations ago some of us have native American admixture and some don't. These days black American still means someone with African ancestory not counting the other blood in our veins its like we have to ignore our admixture to be apart of team black. I am lite skin and was teased and called white girl most of my childhood. Now I am older I happen to know why my skin is so light and it ain't from slavery. I also witnessed the boys calling some girls tar baby and chocobliss and burnt cookie in school those girls also grew up with insecurities. Our race is a hot mess and I don't think things will ever be right. Its to late to many deeply imbedded issues
So true. I tell people when they ask, my hair gives it away, as they say.
Professor Fate

Houston, TX

#20 Feb 15, 2012
BROWNMAN20 wrote:
<quoted text>I kinda wish mixed people can call themselves mixed. Her tail is mixed, heavily. I dont believe her mother was carrying a huge percentage of African DNA in her. I suspect Beyonce is close to half white, hell, she may be. Her father is black, but hes from America, whos to know how much of what its our blood. One thing for sure, she is black in America, and she always calls herself black.
She definitely has a very substantial amount of mix. Her maternal grandmother (Agnez Dereon) looked over 80 percent white, if I had to put a number on it.

“The Love Below”

Level 8

ATL

#21 Feb 15, 2012
Professor Fate wrote:
<quoted text> She definitely has a very substantial amount of mix. Her maternal grandmother (Agnez Dereon) looked over 80 percent white, if I had to put a number on it.
Her grandad looked just like her nephew, near white. Beyonce looks a lot like him. He had the light green eyes as well. Her kid looks biracial. We black americans dont know our full genetic make up. Even looking at her fathers facial features, you can tell hes mixed with white or native in his lineage somewhere.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min RoxLo 1,601,967
Maceo is the Stupidest Fat Black Unemployed Eff... 5 min Hmm the meanie 2
Why do black men believe anything that strokes ... 8 min Samantha 47
Racist Bill Maher EXPOSED (Feb '17) 12 min TROLL FANATIC 23
Topix AntiFa Nation 🏴✊🔥 16 min TROLL FANATIC 24
My Pum Pum 24 min TROLL FANATIC 15
God Still Shaking Mexico 🇲🇽a... 31 min God is Racist 5
Their dirty laundry 1 hr New Flava 101
Whitey saves the day again: AIDS cured! 4 hr lemur john bolton 50
More from around the web