Since: Jun 08

Trenton, NJ

#345 Jul 13, 2008
It shouldn't in today's world.
OMG

Miami, FL

#349 Jul 20, 2008
OMG!

I think the majority can agree that SLAVERY is a bad thing!

STOP dividing this country because your great-great-great-great ancestors grandparents suffered inequeties while beign enslaved. It is a different world today! Being a participating member of society does not include bigotry or resentment for what happened eons ago. Sure it was wrong! We all learned from the experience and hopefuly humankind has evolved to not allow this to legaly ever happen again. I say legaly because we all know that slavery exists today illegaly and NOT just African-Americans either.

This BLACK CARD anti White sntiment has to stop or it will forever divide this country.

Today society judges us by what we know; education is available to anyone without restrictions. The Internet provides furhter access to knowledge and makes the world closer for all.

No one should let their guard down because there will always be good and evil. Evil trancends all colors and races. Fortunately, good also trancends all colors and races.

So start looking at what you should be looking at instead of hiding behind that which doesen't exist.

MrDarryl wrote:
<quoted text>We usually do stop thinking about it until something reminds us (which may be everyday, several times a day). You said "I personally don't c how slavery still affects people today." I agree that you probably don't know. Read up on American Slavery and find out the inherent differences in the practice of slavery in this country. You will see how the slaves were treated as sub human and that NO other country or empire ever did this amongst other things.
You said "And other people should not be made to feel guilty for something they had no control over. No disrespect, but people do this." I would say that they shouldn't feel guilty. Guilt implies that you did it or you feel like you did it. If you are not guilty this feeling would not arise. One should think about 'feeling' guilty and why they do.
I would rather people not forget, but be willing to embrace each other regardless. I hear people say why bring up racial issues (when they are real)? I hear people say I didn't do anything so don't blame me. My ancestors had it bad too. But these are statements of ridicule and only reflect the issue and don't help. If there is something that still affect Italians and the Irish through discrimination, that too should be discussed and the issues should be taken seriously, not brushed aside because somebody else has it bad too, NO! We should take care of all of it.
When I look at history I too see all that you see with the immigrants from other countries. They had it bad. I also see, however, how these people over time, blended right in with society, moved up the power chain or maybe even started their own little cities within cities full of culture and intrigue. Black Americans on the contrary have been ridiculed for trying to make it for themselves, were literally denied their 15th Amendment right to vote until the voting right act of 1965 (not quite 400 years ago), and are disproportionately incarcerated.punished like no other race. These are facts of the people who have the same blood I do and I have to acknowledge their plight, because it affects me which means it affects all of us. It's not something I can forget because the problems we have now stem from this historical event. These actions today are the direct result of this country's addiction to keeping the black man enslaved. If you feel like black people need to get over it; help us. Embrace us, employ us, teach us, mentor us, believe in us, just like you believe in everyone else. Don't ridicule us because we want to know why we are still in the back seat. Look us in the eye, smile and say, "do you want to learn how to drive?" Let me show you.
Realistic Man

Orange Park, FL

#350 Jul 20, 2008
"How does slavery affect black people today?"

Well, they still bitch about something that happend hundred's of years ago...so, the effect is that they are retarded.
OMG

Miami, FL

#351 Jul 20, 2008
Tell me how slavery has affected YOU in your lifetime? I don't want to hear about your parents or ancestors, just YOU. How has slavery affected you personally? Let me tell you this, "Use common sense when you answer" your response will go along way to identifying your bigotry towards current day white people.
Africa77 wrote:
<quoted text>How can you say that? I'm an African American female I don't use slavery as a failing in my life. SHAME ON YOU GIRL. Let me tell you this, "common sense goes a long way"!!!!!!
babydoll

Leicester, UK

#352 Jul 20, 2008
Slavery does not affect blacks today. End of story. Its time to take your heads out of the sand and blaming others for your shortcomings. Go out, get a job, stop living off welfare, sop f*cking everything that moves so that you have 6 kids and 6 different baby daddys, start being a productive member of the black community. How long are you people going to blame slavery for the fact you are too lazy to live in the real world like everybody else?
RTX

New Britain, CT

#353 Jul 20, 2008
It makes them even more of an ahole than they already are.
Reggie

Onalaska, TX

#354 Jul 20, 2008
White people just make me so mad sometimes. They have a hard time looking at life from a different perspective. I take that back, people in general have a hard time seeing things from a different. The white people on here talk about slavery ending a 150 years ago...ok thats true, but black people did not become truly free until the 1960's. Not really that long ago. All of my aunts, uncles, and parents were raised during this time.

Most people are right that it is nothing physically holding black people back from getting a education. Slavery does not make blacks commit more crimes. But I think affects of slavery still affects both black and white people today. Whites overall have developed an superiority complex. Most do not know, or think that they have this complex, but their actions and attitudes do not reflect with what they think of theirselves. I also believe that blacks overall have a inferiority complex. Listen to how black men talk about education or educated people. Being smart is looked at as being weak, gay, or acting white. Blacks have this attitude where they can't do certain things because they are black. Blacks also hold things white higher than their own culture. Blacks go crazy over straigh hair, light skin, and light eyes.

These complexes were all developed during slavery. This is how slavery still affects people. It doesn't affect us physically but mentally it has held America back from achieving the concept that it was founded on. I believe white people should try to understand that slavery has some affect on America, but blacks need to also understand that there is no law, or restrictions that are holding you back from achieving the American dream.

Since: Jul 08

Macon, GA

#355 Jul 22, 2008
Larry 7D wrote:
Slavery affects African American today because there has been no real Justice Served because when socalled Reconstruction was being instituded for a short time Black people progressed for a short time untill some exconfederate soldiers got togather with some Rednecks and formed the Klu Klux Klan and proceded to terrorize and Murder the Black people all thoughout the South and cheated and ran most the gains Black people back into the Dark ages and stripped all the political gains that where accomplished between 1870 and 1880 and instituded jim crows laws kept Black people down for 140 years until 1964 and we are still behind when it comes to any kind of advancement even though we can live in white folks neighborhoods eat in white folks Restaraunts and go pretty much anywhere without being molested by the police but 435 years of Slavery backed up with Murder/Rape/Racism and terrorism has pretty much left us some post Traumatic Slave syndrome where even though there are no chains on our necks ,wists or Ankels a lot of us are still in bondage of the Mind and you have white people today claiming that they had nothing to do with Slavery but still they are Benefiting from the profits of Slavery caused by their ancsetors working our people for centuries for nothing for our Ancestors sweat,Blood,buildt this country into what it is today but we still get the worst of everything the worst jobs the worst education the worst places to live and the leaset opportunity to get ahead Politicaly and Economicly in fact the only thing we get the best of is the Penitentary and the Graveyard! while the Crackers get every thing in Life and the persuit of happiness* and we[AfricanAmericans] get the crums.
First of all, as an African American, Let me just say that these statements are the exact reason why African Americans as a whole are still looked upon as the High Jumping, Ignorant, dumb jock athletes, that haven't stepped up to the challenge of getting this discriminatory world off our backs.
I've been in courtrooms, the streets of Compton, Harlem, and many other notorious areas, to find that both parties of African American exist and meld. Slavery gave us strength. The strength to say that something was not right and it needed change.
Nelson Mendela weeps for the African American Community. Martin Luther King Jr. and his followers and generation are all in tears.
Pastors of the church have been corrupted, and We are living in a land that Every other country hates. These are not the effects of slavery yet we still go through them. It is highly ignorant to say that we are victims of the same slavery that our ancestors went through.
Today we face a new slavery: the slavery of gang violence, the slavery of fathers not being home to raise the children to respectable young men and women. We are victims of the slavery ideals that make us believe that everyone is out to get us. What do these chains of slavery do? They turn young men and women into ignorant Negroes (edited for the web's sake). Since you can place more African Americans into the pot of gang color presenting high school dropout's who resort to drugs, violence and playing the "my ancestors were victims of slavery, PITY ME" card, other races have no choice but to think of us as Negroes (Also edited for the web's sake).
Comments like " early American slavery is affecting the black community still today" is the primary reason why there are more African American inmates than college Graduates.
If you like our world, keep thinking that Slavery is still haunting us. If you want to be like MLK or Nelson Mandela, just let the whole slavery thing go in the history books as something horrible and leave it alone.

Level 1

Since: Apr 08

TRUE SELF-MASTERY

#357 Jul 22, 2008
how does slavery affect blk ppl today? hmm lets see... African-Americans are1.8 times more likely to die from heart disease than non-Hispanic whites; Blacks are1.3 times more likely to die from breast cancer; 2.8 times more likely to die from prostate cancer and 1.4 times more likely to die from colon cancer.
After African people were transported into the cities of America and Europe during slavery, their eating habits were changed drastically and suddenly. The result has been chronic and metabolic diseases of all kinds.
S O U L F O O D = S L A V E F O O D
These foods are not compatible with our bio-chemical makeup, and are responsible for the many diseases that we suffer from today.
It is significant that prior to African people’s arrival to the Americas, there were no known records of them contracting cancer while maintaining their traditional diet.
STOP EATING THAT SLAVE FOOD
Sinajuavi

Stuarts Draft, VA

#358 Jul 22, 2008
These sorts of effects, identified as the results of slavery, can be observed among many oppressed groups, including white ones.

The effects of slavery are like the effects of all the imperialist crap in the histories of all the peoples in the world.

I think that over time, with so much human abuse chronically occurring, humanity generally becomes increasingly psychotic and dysfunctional. I have heard a Hindu prophesy that the current evil would get so much worse than people would be breeding human children for food.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit.
One Love

United States

#359 Aug 25, 2008
Once you go white wrote:
Less I be called a racsist again, let me put this as respectful as possible. How does something that happened almost 400 years ago affect people today. I mean lets be reasonable here. Everyone's ancestors went through hardship. My ancestors survived the potato famine in Ireland and was discriminated against when they first landed on the shores of America. They were told to go back. And my Italian ancestors suffered through economic depression in Italy. No one's suffering can be qualified. Slavery also existed in many cultures before America. I personally don't c how slavery still affects people today. And other people should not be made to feel guilty for something they had no control over. No disrespect, but people do this. I think everyone in this country would be better off if we just get stop thinking about it.
I would like to point out that anything that reshapes family and culture of a group of people will effect them for many many years. 400 ago is really not that long when you're looking at it by generation. Really it's only 5-7 generations ago. These people where ripped from their families and sold to seperate owners, they were degraded and classified by skin. How else will a strong people survive? Adapt, and that is what they did, they learned to survive without their husbands, take care of the children they were allowed to keep, and strive on. They were not allowed education so they focused on other things. They were placed in poverty, that became their norm. It's not about letting go of the actual act of slavery, it's how slaverty reshaped thier community and interaction with one another. Families are passed down, not to say that if you grew up in a trailer trash enviroment that you are destined for that life, but it is the only life you've been exposed to so to be right there would not be that bad... I mean you love your family, and it's what you know.
Tonto

South Africa

#360 Aug 25, 2008
Once you go white wrote:
Less I be called a racsist again, let me put this as respectful as possible. How does something that happened almost 400 years ago affect people today. I mean lets be reasonable here. Everyone's ancestors went through hardship. My ancestors survived the potato famine in Ireland and was discriminated against when they first landed on the shores of America. They were told to go back. And my Italian ancestors suffered through economic depression in Italy. No one's suffering can be qualified. Slavery also existed in many cultures before America. I personally don't c how slavery still affects people today. And other people should not be made to feel guilty for something they had no control over. No disrespect, but people do this. I think everyone in this country would be better off if we just get stop thinking about it.
Blacks use that as an excuse for handouts.
One Love

United States

#361 Aug 25, 2008
I'm only trying to explain that the mentality was changed through years of being second class or actually treated as animals property of others... It will take a rebuilding period. Just look at the southern state of the USA, they have yet to recover fully from the Civil War...
hotspill

Glen Burnie, MD

#362 Aug 25, 2008
For one slavery "modern day slavery" has never stopped and whites in America still benefit from what their nasty ancestors did 400 years ago. Trolls and many white people will never understand this and will never question thier own people on why thier ancestors were so racist and why they are so racist till this day. It must be something so great about black people any-where in the world, but to answer the question "yes" black people are affeced by slavery. Why should we forget white jews don't forget, japan does not forget what white's did to them. You never forget because it can happen again. For some reason black is a big threat "Why" is that white people? If thier was a Chinese forum would white racist be on that to? Ameica is still very unequal and you never hear the majority of whites in America question the wrong of their people towards blacks. Mainly white's that run America our Govt. Yes they will speak for the envir. or the rights of dogs, but not the injustice ok black people. I have never seen it. Hey you can say one thing though whites love their dogs very much. Lets see a million white man and women march for the brutality and injustice of blacks all around the world. You will never see it. The question should be "Why were and are many white's uncomfortable and racist toward everyday educated good black people that do not bother them. "Example we blaks move into the area and one day later KKK is spray painted on my door way. What was the reason for that. I want you racist to think about this and give me a responce. Think before you type, because you know how you can respond very neg or pro white.
Neko Charvanni

Detroit, MI

#363 Sep 28, 2008
n general this is not about slavery it just people having a reason to hate and people not have the ability to see themselves as people and yes white folks do thing they are superior to blacks but it's like this I was told that if a black man fails then it's accepted but he is looked down to fail but when he succeeds then it's just success. In other words for blacks you fail it's okay one white are uanble to see us succeeding but when we succeed we have a loaded pistol that can change that thougt . And yes the educationin the united states is still segrated and America although it's the best country to be poor in is still segrated. Think about.
Neko Charvanni

Detroit, MI

#364 Sep 28, 2008
Slavery affects us because one most people see cannot see beyond the barrier of their own shit hole. See if a black man fails he is still considered a winner because "whites" lable us to be failures, but when a black man succeeds in life he is considered a man with a loaded gun that can bring about change. No it' might not be slavery that it affects us it's your stank atitudes of the stolen oppressed superiority. Yes and i do believe whites owe blacks for one weak white indetured slaves during stolen Indian land was taken, they could not survive the harsh temperatures for taking this arable land and making it profit. If anything white have used their racism against blacks to get ahead and if anyone is going to use an escape card then it should be blacks, for one this land does not belong to white two. you all broke away from your motherland of England which was already complicated with outrageous religious belifs and the irony about these belifs is though shall not kill and those white almost eliminated not only the nationalities of Indians but Afrians cause believe me we were not meant to survive we were animals that were their key to success. So yes slavery has affected blacks and it has clouded the reality that some white folks cannot or refuse to see. That you have oppressed an entire race of people and then childrens childrens for life. So I will not forget and I will not stop telling it because it was evil that was done and should be heard.
Santonio Thompson

Mooresville, NC

#365 Oct 13, 2008
I understand that some people take the slavery issue to far...Yes it did happen a very long time ago and some people should realize that and stop holding grudges against other races because of what their ancestors did.......BUT you cannot just forget about it completely like it didn't happen because the individuals that contributed to abolish slavery should be remembered in history just as much as the people that created our country that we live in today because they risked their lives to fight for something that they believed in and that cannot just be looked over.

“My Great Grandmother”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#366 Oct 13, 2008
I have no idea because I didn't live through that era. Nobody ever thinks of it unless they are part of some philosophical discussion.

Just ask today's AA children. They don't have a clue that slaves ever existed... a lot of them don't.
Come to blacktown

Woodbridge, VA

#367 Oct 13, 2008

“You are by what you do!”

Level 1

Since: Apr 07

Seattle, WA

#368 Oct 16, 2008
lovable1 wrote:
I have no idea because I didn't live through that era. Nobody ever thinks of it unless they are part of some philosophical discussion.
Just ask today's AA children. They don't have a clue that slaves ever existed... a lot of them don't.
The main reason why young people today (say ages from 5yrs - 17yrs old) is because the story of AA history stop being told....Many Black (AA) people are ashamed to recant the horrors that took place during the transatlantic voyage. I think most people of today tend to rebuff that period as if it is going to be a hindrance to one's social advancement!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Arabs honor black people with Arab hop 4 min Africanunity1 4
wm get super smacked by anti white Arab in london 5 min Africanunity1 12
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min PolakPotrafi 1,206,786
Biracial IS NOT black 14 min Redefined 446
Bi/Gay skype sex??? (Dec '12) 17 min jaydancer1 52
Drinking Pregnant Mammy of 20 Assaulted 19 min matador 8
Sex 22 min iamcuriousnow 8
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 28 min Ingwe Temujin 32,032
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 34 min Ingwe Temujin 112,539
Are white women attracted to black men? (Aug '06) 51 min DerekJ 122,968
Why Whites can use the "N" word 2 hr Samoan Irish 45
More from around the web