Being a black author is hard!

Being a black author is hard!

Posted in the African-American Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
darealist

Mountain View, CA

#1 Feb 11, 2014
No one supports you. The literary world marginalizes everything you do. If you don't sell soul career is limited. Excuse my bad grammar I'm at work. I just wish I could be seen as an author not a black author.

Level 8

Since: Aug 09

Saint Louis, MO

#2 Feb 11, 2014
darealist wrote:
No one supports you. The literary world marginalizes everything you do. If you don't sell soul career is limited. Excuse my bad grammar I'm at work. I just wish I could be seen as an author not a black author.
Oh please! If you write how to books or dry science, nobody is going to know what your complexion is. But if you write novels and cultural items, the only material you are likely to have will come mainly from your own culture. People write about what they know. If they know nothing, they go learn something.

Or better yet, go to truck driving school and learn a different career.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#3 Feb 11, 2014
darealist wrote:
No one supports you. The literary world marginalizes everything you do. If you don't sell soul career is limited. Excuse my bad grammar I'm at work. I just wish I could be seen as an author not a black author.
What kind of stuff do you write- and is it for books, magazine articles or what?

Level 8

Since: Aug 09

Saint Louis, MO

#4 Feb 11, 2014
Who is the audience? Who is the publisher? Who will buy the writings?

It is clear that this so called author has no clue. If the writers knows nothing he/she can write nothing. That seems to be the problem here. The best pace to learn something is in history. Maybe you want to start history by reading biographies. Knowing biographies would give some idea about character development. But I am not a writing coach. Just remember that you can only write what you know. A writer needs to know a lot.

My favorite writer is James A. Michener. Copy his method and his style. When he wrote Hawaii, for example, it was obvious that he had done a lot of research on the geological formations of volcanic islands and mountains. He did not know that stuff when he started. But he went and did research and learned all he needed to know tio weave a great tale and story.

I am a Muslim. My first book is about Islam. I am a historian. My second is about black history. I have written a third in my head but have not had time to put it in paper.

As a historian my credibility is priceless. I have to make sure that I know what I am talking about before I write it and publish it. If I revel some unknown history, people will trust me if my reputation is intact for being honest. Honesty is a premium. There is simply no way to be a successful writer without being a successful learner. Go learn something even if it means going to night school.

Level 8

Since: Aug 09

Saint Louis, MO

#5 Feb 11, 2014
Look at Chinua Achebe. I do not like that bastard on the political level. But his book Things Fall Apart was based on knowing a lot about what went down in Africa 200 years ago. His ancestors probably told him. Another recent book that is good is called Our New Husbands are Here. The sister wrote about what happened to women when the white man came into Africa. HIV and all that.

One thing that will not work is to repeat the same old stupid lies that the white man tells. White people know nothing about blacks or about Africa. Nobody wants to read their opinions. Learn something authentic.

For example, write about some Africa recipies. I would love to read such a book. I just do not have time to write it. Ask the Somalis how to cook certain dishes. Ask the Nigerians how to make foo foo. Ask Egyptians. Ask Zimbabwean Somebody ought to write the book. But you have to go and learn what to write.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#6 Feb 11, 2014
Abdurratln wrote:
I am a Muslim. My first book is about Islam. I am a historian. My second is about black history. I have written a third in my head but have not had time to put it in paper.
You are a published author?

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#7 Feb 11, 2014
Abdurratln wrote:
Look at Chinua Achebe. I do not like that bastard on the political level. But his book Things Fall Apart was based on knowing a lot about what went down in Africa 200 years ago. His ancestors probably told him. Another recent book that is good is called Our New Husbands are Here. The sister wrote about what happened to women when the white man came into Africa. HIV and all that.
One thing that will not work is to repeat the same old stupid lies that the white man tells. White people know nothing about blacks or about Africa. Nobody wants to read their opinions. Learn something authentic.
For example, write about some Africa recipies. I would love to read such a book. I just do not have time to write it. Ask the Somalis how to cook certain dishes. Ask the Nigerians how to make foo foo. Ask Egyptians. Ask Zimbabwean Somebody ought to write the book. But you have to go and learn what to write.
Well, I am writing a book about how different people reacted concerning suicide in their families- how religion influenced the way they felt. Religion and Suicide- fun subject.
Just Like Monkeys

Moscow, Russia

#9 Feb 11, 2014
<<< Being a black author is hard! >>>

Not having opposable thumbs must make typing difficult.

Level 8

Since: Aug 09

Saint Louis, MO

#10 Feb 11, 2014
sONE wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a published author?
My books are not published. Several of my articles are published. But they are not published for money. I publish through revolutionary political networks for free.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#11 Feb 11, 2014
Abdurratln wrote:
<quoted text>
My books are not published. Several of my articles are published. But they are not published for money. I publish through revolutionary political networks for free.
I see.

Level 8

Since: Aug 09

Saint Louis, MO

#12 Feb 11, 2014
sONE wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I am writing a book about how different people reacted concerning suicide in their families- how religion influenced the way they felt. Religion and Suicide- fun subject.
You seem to be into social psychology. Cool. That is a big subject.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#13 Feb 11, 2014
Abdurratln wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to be into social psychology. Cool. That is a big subject.
Yes, I'm quite interested in several aspects of it. Child Developmet is my minor and Physical Therapy is my major. Child Development requires a fair amount of Psychology and Sociology courses. Some of it is beneficial, much of it is not, having an agenda of sorts. I like researching things on my own and looking at many sources.
Stag_R_Lee

Scottsdale, AZ

#14 Feb 11, 2014
Abdurratln wrote:
Who is the audience? Who is the publisher? Who will buy the writings?
It is clear that this so called author has no clue. If the writers knows nothing he/she can write nothing. That seems to be the problem here. The best pace to learn something is in history. Maybe you want to start history by reading biographies. Knowing biographies would give some idea about character development. But I am not a writing coach. Just remember that you can only write what you know. A writer needs to know a lot.
My favorite writer is James A. Michener. Copy his method and his style. When he wrote Hawaii, for example, it was obvious that he had done a lot of research on the geological formations of volcanic islands and mountains. He did not know that stuff when he started. But he went and did research and learned all he needed to know tio weave a great tale and story.
I am a Muslim. My first book is about Islam. I am a historian. My second is about black history. I have written a third in my head but have not had time to put it in paper.
As a historian my credibility is priceless. I have to make sure that I know what I am talking about before I write it and publish it. If I revel some unknown history, people will trust me if my reputation is intact for being honest. Honesty is a premium. There is simply no way to be a successful writer without being a successful learner. Go learn something even if it means going to night school.
Michener --as I understand it--uses a staff to research his books. My understanding is that he is actually a compiler of research done by others. I'd check it out.
darealist

Mountain View, CA

#15 Feb 11, 2014
My book is based on my life experiences but set in the 30s some of it takes place in modern day.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#16 Feb 11, 2014
darealist wrote:
My book is based on my life experiences but set in the 30s some of it takes place in modern day.
What is the plot or some of the experiences of the character?

Level 8

Since: Aug 09

Saint Louis, MO

#17 Feb 11, 2014
Stag_R_Lee wrote:
<quoted text>
Michener --as I understand it--uses a staff to research his books. My understanding is that he is actually a compiler of research done by others. I'd check it out.
Probably. All I know is he brings a lot of legitimate information to his books. I learned a lot by reading him. I think one way to teach African history would be to write novels the way he did. Chinua Achebe did that. Sekou Nkrumah has also written a rather heavy novel called A Fatherless Child.( http://www.rosedogbookstore.com/fach.html ) I have not read it. But I think it is loaded. I expect Comrade Sekou to be very, very political.

I recall back in the 1930s or 40s when Kwame Nkrumah was a student that a brother wrote this novel called Black Empire.( http://www.amazon.com/Black-Empire-Northeaste... ) It seemed to be Liberia. But it was more than Liberia. It was about Black Power in a big way. All of this led up to the Civil Rights Movement in the 1950s.

I would like to write a story about how African Muslims and Christians get along to Unite the continent. Those type of ideas need to be put out there. And we can do it by imagining being a Muslim in a Christian context and vice versa. It is not necessary that we fight all the time. We can show how we can get along in peace and harmony. So we have to know both Islam and Christianity. We cannot write such a story based in ignorance. Do the research. Ask the questions.

“Repent and worship God”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#18 Feb 11, 2014
darealist wrote:
No one supports you. The literary world marginalizes everything you do. If you don't sell soul career is limited. Excuse my bad grammar I'm at work. I just wish I could be seen as an author not a black author.
Why do you care what others think of you?

Level 8

Since: Aug 09

Saint Louis, MO

#19 Feb 11, 2014
What would happen is a Muslim student came to the USA met a sister and married her. Met a sister from the Caribbean and married her. Met a sister from North Africa and married her. Graduate from college and goes home to live somewhere in Africa with his four wives. I wish I had the time to write this one. It would be a best seller. Whites would buy more copies than blacks, if it is based on true information that teaches people about Islam.

“Day'n'Nite”

Level 1

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#20 Feb 11, 2014
The protagonist goes against regular teen issues like sucky job,dysfunctional family,poverty,racism,girl issues and his grandma is the beacon of light in a world of darkness.
Stag_R_Lee

Scottsdale, AZ

#21 Feb 11, 2014
Abdurratln wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably. All I know is he brings a lot of legitimate information to his books. I learned a lot by reading him. I think one way to teach African history would be to write novels the way he did. Chinua Achebe did that. Sekou Nkrumah has also written a rather heavy novel called A Fatherless Child.( http://www.rosedogbookstore.com/fach.html ) I have not read it. But I think it is loaded. I expect Comrade Sekou to be very, very political.
I recall back in the 1930s or 40s when Kwame Nkrumah was a student that a brother wrote this novel called Black Empire.( http://www.amazon.com/Black-Empire-Northeaste... ) It seemed to be Liberia. But it was more than Liberia. It was about Black Power in a big way. All of this led up to the Civil Rights Movement in the 1950s.
I would like to write a story about how African Muslims and Christians get along to Unite the continent. Those type of ideas need to be put out there. And we can do it by imagining being a Muslim in a Christian context and vice versa. It is not necessary that we fight all the time. We can show how we can get along in peace and harmony. So we have to know both Islam and Christianity. We cannot write such a story based in ignorance. Do the research. Ask the questions.
Great points. Correction: Michener is dead. I was thinking he's still around.:(

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Controlled media does not want to talk about Bi... 5 min RMGHispanic Causi... 1
the european's rh:(rhesus monkey) factor secret? (Jan '09) 14 min VizierIsback 264
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 17 min FYVM 1,382,935
A GREAT Feeling to Watch Whiteys Becoming IRREL... 23 min Ruth 3
News Texas voter ID law deemed minority-thwarting dr... 28 min spud 18
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 40 min MASKIM HUL 134,212
Italians are NOT White!!!! (Feb '12) 54 min big hard login 6,358
Police Search for Serial Gang Rapist Described ... 2 hr Obsidian2xxx 25
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 2 hr TranshumanX 44,825
Trump taking about deporting illegal immigrants 8 hr Big Woody 58
Whites Are Not To Blame For Your Problems 10 hr BM Need To Listen... 75
More from around the web