Black people don't tip
Jill

Philadelphia, PA

#429 Sep 19, 2013
Whether black, white, or anything else, it is TRULY IGNORANT not to tip a waitress or waiter! There is no way they could ever survive on the very small salary that a restaurant pays them. And many of them have children to support. I still tip even if the service isn't that good or the waitress isn't too friendly. I know they are under a lot of stress and pressure and they have to deal with the public. Many ignorant and rude customers. They could be having a bad day or some serious personal problems they're going through that we know nothing about. And it can be very difficult to stay sweet and perky when your life is under a lot of stress. As I said, I still tip them even when they don't seem friendly or I think the service wasn't that good. No, I am not a waitress but I've seen all the crap they go through. They deserve to be tipped well by everyone who they wait on. None of us know how we'll end up someday. We might have to wait tables for a while. How would we feel if no one tipped us? And we know we can't survive on the tiny salary the restaurant pays us? Think about it. What goes around comes around. If you can afford to go out to eat, then you should tip!!! Even if you're not paying for the meal, and the person who is buying doesn't tip, you should tip anyway. Don't be ignorant like them. Remember that waitresses and waiters depend on tips to survive!!! Still don't want to tip? Fine, then don't. Be ignorant. You will have to pay for your ignorance someday. As I said, what goes around comes around.
Jill

Philadelphia, PA

#430 Sep 21, 2013
No matter what race you are, it is TRULY IGNORANT not to tip. Waiters and waitresses DEPEND on their tips to survive!! They get a very small salary from the restaurants they work for. Many of them have children to support. I always tip even when the service is not that good or the waitress is not that friendly. We're all human and they could be having a very bad day having to take so much crap from so many rude customers. If you can afford to go out to eat then you should be able to leave a tip. They deserve to be tipped well by everyone they wait on. How would YOU feel if you waited on tables and no one tipped you? And you could never make it on what the restaurant pays you? None of us know how we'll end up someday and you might be waiting tables. What goes around comes around. I tip because it is the RIGHT thing to do!!
Steve

Berlin, MD

#431 Dec 11, 2013
C Smacker AKA Most Envied wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
If you work that hard for your money that you can't tip don't go out. If you want someone to serve you tip them if not serve your own cheap ass.

Kip

“Brian's alter ego”

Level 7

Since: Feb 07

San Francisco, CA

#432 Dec 11, 2013
Jill wrote:
No matter what race you are, it is TRULY IGNORANT not to tip. Waiters and waitresses DEPEND on their tips to survive!! They get a very small salary from the restaurants they work for. Many of them have children to support. I always tip even when the service is not that good or the waitress is not that friendly. We're all human and they could be having a very bad day having to take so much crap from so many rude customers. If you can afford to go out to eat then you should be able to leave a tip. They deserve to be tipped well by everyone they wait on. How would YOU feel if you waited on tables and no one tipped you? And you could never make it on what the restaurant pays you? None of us know how we'll end up someday and you might be waiting tables. What goes around comes around. I tip because it is the RIGHT thing to do!!
If the customer service is good, then I tip.
When it's EXCEPTIONAL I tip exceptionally.

Tips are GRATUITY. Thats why they are called TIPS. No one is entitled to a tip. There are other jobs available for people if they do not like to serve the public. If they are tired of their wages they are free to go out and seek employment elsewhere like other people.
Say My Name

UK

#433 Dec 11, 2013
Kip the Uncle Tom loves to tip

Tom the uncle kim beeped his mom
Say My Name

UK

#434 Dec 11, 2013
They call him uncle Kip
Because he's a bigger Uncle Tom than Uncle Tom

Kip

“Brian's alter ego”

Level 7

Since: Feb 07

San Francisco, CA

#435 Dec 11, 2013
Say My Name wrote:
Oh yes. Now I'm an Uncle Tom, because I tip.

Scotty?
Beam me up!
Coloradoguy84

Colorado Springs, CO

#437 Jan 14, 2014
C Smacker AKA Most Envied wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
that is the dumbest thing I ever heard you dumb ass. What the hell do you think the person who is serving you your food is doing? Taking a damn vacation? Most servers only make $2.50/hr. So either stay the hell home or open up your wallet and tip your damn server dawg. There are really some stupid people out there and your number one DAWG!
Drives4aLIVING

Austin, TX

#438 Feb 7, 2014
Kern wrote:
I worked as a pizza delivery driver - Why don't black people tip?
I took a part time job to make some extra cash. I was disappointed to discover that some stereotypes are true.
For the sake of fairness, a small minority of black people did tip, but only a token amount.
IMHO, this is also why serving staff at places like IHOP and Denny's are reluctant to wait on a table full of black folks. They know they will not be receiving a tip.
It was really sad to see and I tried to not let it taint my opinion as a whole.
I work as a pizza delivery driver for a living while i'm attending college, and in most cases black people don't leave a tip. Sometimes they do, and sometimes it's a good tip....but not normally.
It only upsets me because I am providing a service, and if I get it there on time and remember all your stuff and bring it to you with a smile at lease give me a freaking dollar...just a buck and I will be happy. I make $4.00/hr when I'm on the road, and I rely on my tips to pay rent and survive. Tip at least a dollar...or basically your just saying F**K you pizza guy your life is meaningless to me and I don't give a s**t about anyone but myself.
KIP

San Francisco, CA

#439 Feb 7, 2014
Say My Name wrote:
Oh great!
Now I'm an uncle Tom, because I tip.

Stupidity is indeed infinite.
Jill

Philadelphia, PA

#440 Feb 15, 2014
No matter what race you are, it is SO IGNORANT NOT TO TIP!! And I don't care if the service was poor, I STILL tip the waiter or waitress. They are human and could be going through a hard time in their lives. You just don't know. And sometimes our personal life can be so tough that we cannot always do our job the way we want to. Servers in restaurants DEPEND on tips to SURVIVE! Because there is no way they could ever survive on the very small wages that the restaurants pay them. If you're such a cheap a----hole that you cannot leave 20% of the bill, then you shouldn't be eating out at all! Stay home! I am not a waitress but I have a cousin who is. She says bad customers and non-tippers come in all colors, but that more often it is the blacks who don't tip and are very rude. Just like the "black mamma monkeys" that someone on this post was talking about. If you act like that, you should have your asses thrown the hell out. No wonder you date such losers and complain you can't find a good man. When you act like that, no wonder! ALL waiters and waitresses deserve to be tipped, and tipped well! They work very hard and as I said before, they DEPEND on their tips to survive! Many of them have kids to support. So THINK the next time, and have a little class----tip them!
Jill

Philadelphia, PA

#441 Feb 15, 2014
stupidhead wrote:
I don't even pay for my own meals why the hel would I tip??
You should tip because it is the RIGHT thing to do. Even if the person paying for your meals doesn't tip, you should show a little class and leave something. Servers DEPEND on their tips to SURVIVE! I think the only way you would truly understand this is that if you were working as a waitress and had kids to support. There's no way you could support them on the very small wages a restaurant pays. Yes, I know waitresses are free to go look for a better paying job but many of them can't. And suppose they ALL quit their jobs? Who would serve your food? I think people of garbage never tip. But people with true grace and class always tip.(don't be ignorant garbage. Have some class and tip).
Titus Andronicus

Eugene, OR

#443 Apr 23, 2014
I can't believe I'm contributing to this thread, but a few things need to be said, among other things.

First, I feel as if I need to bleach my brain after reading much of this "discourse." Some humans really are hateful and wicked.

Second, for those who make fun of people in the service industry, you need a serious reality-check. I waited tables many years ago to put myself through school and I'll tell you one thing that ANYONE who has ever done the same will totally recognize and agree with: Waiting tables (at least doing a good job at it) is one of the most difficult and backbreaking jobs imaginable, and if you're good at it, you soon learn the meaning of hard work.

You're basically a free-agent/independent contractor for the restaurant and you not only have to be a freakin' magician to make everything run smoothly on a busy night, but you have to be host, servant, problem-solver, counselor, and eight different other things because people are spending their money and YOU are the one who makes sure they have a good experience ... or not.

A good server in a high-volume joint is one hell of a professional and they DANCE for their money, bitches. They twirl. I have often thought that, if everyone had to spend just one summer waiting tables in a busy place, people would have a helluva lot more respect for each other.

I wouldn't choose it as a lifelong career by any means, but I know some who did and, if the place is high-end, they can make a very respectable living ... but once again, they have to EARN it, and they do so by treating EVERYONE with the same high standards. That's how to make good money in the service industry. If you don't know how to do that, you don't last long. Fact.

As for the idea that blacks (as a demographic) do not tip or tip poorly, it is true. Looking back, probably 9 times out of 10, you'd get a weird tip or none, but frankly, I always just accepted it and no black customer ever seemed to do it out of cruelty, or attitude. In fact, most black customers were a pleasure to wait on. They raved about you and the food ... even as they were leaving you maybe $2.00 on a $50 or $70 check.

A good server never held it against them. You never, EVER assumed you were going to get a lousy tip beforehand! You give your best service to everyone, because even if the odds were that a particular demographic might "stiff you," you didn't know it until the meal was over. So you just dealt with it.

I always figured it was a cultural thing, and the reasons may be complex. Who knows? But you never cringed to see black people in your section. They weren't any more demanding than anyone else. If you treated your guests with kindness from the start, they responded in kind. I always frankly figured I could make up a lousy tip on another table. Law of averages. It's business.

And back in the day I waited on WAY more "difficult" white people than black people. Hell, yeah. Yes, the non-tipping thing with blacks was admittedly weird and a bit disappointing, but mainly you just wanted your guests to have a good time and you did your damn job. If they left happy, you were happy. You got over a bad tip quickly, because there was always another table.

Moreover, in my experience, some black guests were clearly more well-heeled and travelled than others. Like anyone. These guests would almost always tip generously, like everyone else. So, my guess is that it's a cultural quirk.

Point is: Yes, you want your tip, because if you're good, you deserve your pay ... but you just freakin' treated everyone with your best and dealt with some "likelihoods." It wasn't a horror or the end of the world.

I certainly never felt like calling black guests "monkeys" just because a tip was not to my liking.

Man, I don't believe in hell, but I'm kind of hoping there is one because some of the comments I saw here are beyond wicked and evil people need to go somewhere, I suppose. Very disturbing, the bitterness of human beings.
A black man

Spring, TX

#444 May 5, 2014
Prophet wrote:
You wouldnt know would you?
your a broke dumbass
KIP

San Francisco, CA

#445 May 5, 2014
Titus Andronicus wrote:
I can't believe I'm contributing to this thread, but a few things need to be said, among other things.
First, I feel as if I need to bleach my brain after reading much of this "discourse." Some humans really are hateful and wicked.
Second, for those who make fun of people in the service industry, you need a serious reality-check. I waited tables many years ago to put myself through school and I'll tell you one thing that ANYONE who has ever done the same will totally recognize and agree with: Waiting tables (at least doing a good job at it) is one of the most difficult and backbreaking jobs imaginable, and if you're good at it, you soon learn the meaning of hard work.
You're basically a free-agent/independent contractor for the restaurant and you not only have to be a freakin' magician to make everything run smoothly on a busy night, but you have to be host, servant, problem-solver, counselor, and eight different other things because people are spending their money and YOU are the one who makes sure they have a good experience ... or not.
A good server in a high-volume joint is one hell of a professional and they DANCE for their money, bitches. They twirl. I have often thought that, if everyone had to spend just one summer waiting tables in a busy place, people would have a helluva lot more respect for each other.
I wouldn't choose it as a lifelong career by any means, but I know some who did and, if the place is high-end, they can make a very respectable living ... but once again, they have to EARN it, and they do so by treating EVERYONE with the same high standards. That's how to make good money in the service industry. If you don't know how to do that, you don't last long. Fact.
As for the idea that blacks (as a demographic) do not tip or tip poorly, it is true. Looking back, probably 9 times out of 10, you'd get a weird tip or none, but frankly, I always just accepted it and no black customer ever seemed to do it out of cruelty, or attitude. In fact, most black customers were a pleasure to wait on. They raved about you and the food ... even as they were leaving you maybe $2.00 on a $50 or $70 check.
A good server never held it against them. You never, EVER assumed you were going to get a lousy tip beforehand! You give your best service to everyone, because even if the odds were that a particular demographic might "stiff you," you didn't know it until the meal was over. So you just dealt with it.
I always figured it was a cultural thing, and the reasons may be complex. Who knows? But you never cringed to see black people in your section. They weren't any more demanding than anyone else. If you treated your guests with kindness from the start, they responded in kind. I always frankly figured I could make up a lousy tip on another table. Law of averages. It's business.
And back in the day I waited on WAY more "difficult" white people than black people. Hell, yeah. Yes, the non-tipping thing with blacks was admittedly weird and a bit disappointing, but mainly you just wanted your guests to have a good time and you did your damn job. If they left happy, you were happy.
Moreover, in my experience, some black guests were clearly more well-heeled and travelled than others. Like anyone. These guests would almost always tip generously, like everyone else. So, my guess is that it's a cultural quirk.
Point is: Yes, you want your tip, because if you're good, you deserve your pay ... but you just freakin' treated everyone with your best and dealt with some "likelihoods." It wasn't a horror or the end of the world.
I certainly never felt like calling black guests "monkeys" just because a tip was not to my liking.
Man, I don't believe in hell, but I'm kind of hoping there is one because some of the comments I saw here are beyond wicked and evil people need to go somewhere, I suppose. Very disturbing, the bitterness of human beings.
Good post and more too the point.

Thanks!

“Sleep is My Sanctuary”

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#446 May 6, 2014
I tip for service. If I get a waiter who looks at the color of my skin and assumes they won't get a tip and then TREATS me as if they know they're not getting a tip, then I'll give them a light tip. If I get great service, I'll give a great tip. If I don't feel like tipping, I'll cook my own food. It's not that hard.

I will say, however, that waiters and waitresses shouldn't feel entitled to tips, especially when their service is awful. If they don't want to earn $2 an hour, they can get a different job.
vai tomar no cu

Greensboro, NC

#448 May 30, 2014
Prophet wrote:
Sorry dog but I work too hard for my money I will give you 2 bucks if I have it though.
way to prove his point...f
Northern Lights

Houston, TX

#449 May 31, 2014
Lena Gomez wrote:
That is their business, if white people was not so stingy with their jobs maybe the blacks would have money.
Maybe white people wouldn't be so stingy with their jobs if blacks weren't so notoriously lazy.

Level 2

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#453 May 31, 2014
Hispanic people are very hard workers and I can understand their appreciation, black people on the other hand want you to do the most for the least! The truth is the truth!
Sven

Amsterdam, Netherlands

#454 Jul 23, 2014
This whole discussion is really weird. Do you Americans realize there are countries where waiters usually don't get tipped? By default the service is already included in the price. So it also makes sense that the same steak may be more expensive somewhere else if it comes with better service. Waiters are also not allowed to ask for tips, because it comes across as being rude. Here, if a customer leaves a tip it goes straight to the restaurant owner's tipping jar. At the end of the day the tips are evenly distributed among the waiters.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Teaman 1,406,112
Dallas Shooter wrote "RB" in blood 4 min bluestreak returns 334
White Crime: Few Comments (Sep '09) 5 min bluestreak returns 3,549
Dear White People 7 min bluestreak returns 280
And Mitt Romney Says...... 13 min GetitrightTrumpGo... 2
Where in the world is the NRA 16 min 2 Dogs 137
Poll Will Donald Trump be the next President of the ... (Aug '15) 22 min PATRIOT DVC MOLON... 1,585
BM Thwarts White Rapist & Robber. 31 min melissa__ 33
RNC Day 4 ratings TROUNCE DNC by MILLIONS 2 hr Burlap 17
Trump BUSTED .....PUTIN 3 hr Hillary 2016 23
More from around the web