why are we considered aa instead of b...

why are we considered aa instead of black american

Posted in the African-American Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Level 2

Since: Nov 12

Temple Hills, MD

#1 Apr 5, 2013
I know about the whole your ancestors were from Africa. But I'm talking about blacks who were actually born in America with black parents. wouldn't aa's be people who are actually from Africa with African parents who move to America or born here . Why aren't blacks who aren't born in America with black parents considered native American? we are native because we were actually born here in America right? does anyone get what I mean?
Style

London, UK

#2 Apr 5, 2013
zakinah wrote:
I know about the whole your ancestors were from Africa. But I'm talking about blacks who were actually born in America with black parents. wouldn't aa's be people who are actually from Africa with African parents who move to America or born here . Why aren't blacks who aren't born in America with black parents considered native American? we are native because we were actually born here in America right? does anyone get what I mean?
No. There exists: Irish Americans, Italian Americans, German Americans, Polish Americans, et al. These people refer to themselves as Irish, Italian, German and Polish respectively. Some may even retain some of the culture from the 'old country' e.g language and diet.

Jesse Jackson copied the above template and coined the term 'African American' which replaced 'colored'. Unfortunately some AA have so much self hate, they will actually attack you if you refer them as 'African'.

Obviously within the confines of the borders of the United States the 'American' part is assumed. Similarly outside the borders of the United States then all of the above refer to themselves as 'AMERICANS'
dowl

Howell, MI

#3 Apr 5, 2013
Native American is a race name because that race never gave it'sself a name or you took their name or something
dowl

Howell, MI

#4 Apr 5, 2013
whites should not even call themselves American or blacks.. yall aren't American.. your European and African..

that live in America..
dowl

Howell, MI

#5 Apr 5, 2013
yeah you should be considered black American because you don't live in Africa..

just like whites in Africa are white Africans..
the man lovinglife

United States

#7 Apr 5, 2013
dowl wrote:
yeah you should be considered black American because you don't live in Africa..
just like whites in Africa are white Africans..
i disagree entirely. Black are originated from africa this is not they homeland. It dont matter if they was born here or not. The black race is not originated from here. Same as white people this is not they homeland this is the native american land. Not blacks land and not whites land. So you just cant come in somebody else land and call yourself just american like this your land.

Level 2

Temple Hills, MD

#8 Apr 5, 2013
the man lovinglife wrote:
<quoted text>
i disagree entirely. Black are originated from africa this is not they homeland. It dont matter if they was born here or not. The black race is not originated from here. Same as white people this is not they homeland this is the native american land. Not blacks land and not whites land. So you just cant come in somebody else land and call yourself just american like this your land.
''

I was born in america, Washington,dc no Africa. My parents are not african. You can definitely tell are black american from a full blooded africans. People in africa look different from blacks in america. Don't tell me where I am from. My great grand parents, and grandmothers are not from africa. Black people who don't have african parents are not considered african. We know what africans look like.

“But until then, I got you.”

Level 2

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#10 Apr 5, 2013
zakinah wrote:
Africans born here with african parents shouldn't be called African American. Yes, it makes sense to call them that, but it's used so much to describe native black americans and their culture, so it would clash. I think africans in America should simply be called African or their country's name plus America.. For example (Nigerian-American, Ugandan-American, Sudanese-American.. Etc). Specify with their country of origin.

Level 2

Location hidden

#11 Apr 5, 2013
zakinah wrote:
<quoted text>''

I was born in america, Washington,dc no Africa. My parents are not african. You can definitely tell are black american from a full blooded africans. People in africa look different from blacks in america. Don't tell me where I am from. My great grand parents, and grandmothers are not from africa. Black people who don't have african parents are not considered african. We know what africans look like.
Tell me... What does an african look like to you???
madblackwoman198 5

Seattle, WA

#12 Apr 5, 2013
Some Africans look just like black americans, and some black americans resemnble africans. You can never tell who is who, unless you here the way they talk or tell you what they are.

“The Love Below”

Level 8

Since: Apr 10

ATL

#13 Apr 5, 2013
I work with many africans, they have a distinct look to them, but some can pass for a African American. I grew up around africans, so I know what Im talking about. The term African American is not embraced completely. Many people dont use the word enough, and many people still say black american, over African American, and some of the older people dont like the term. The term is so vaguely used in everyday circles, that when a black person hear it, its kinda like blah lol. Its a flawed term, and they use this term even on bi-racials, and mixed generation blacks, and multigenerational blacks. Now, at work, we refer to africans as africans. The blacks that I work with, say black american, or african american.

Level 2

Temple Hills, MD

#14 Apr 7, 2013
UGbeauty wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell me... What does an african look like to you???
are you really trying to be difficult here seriously? I don't have to tell you what a african looks like you know that yourself. African also have a very distinct look that let's you know they are african, and not just a black american person. African people look different from the blacks that are american.

Level 2

Temple Hills, MD

#15 Apr 7, 2013
madblackwoman1985 wrote:
Some Africans look just like black americans, and some black americans resemnble africans. You can never tell who is who, unless you here the way they talk or tell you what they are.
idk about you but i can tell the difference between a african and a black american. There features are very distinct and their look. They just do not look similar to a black american

Level 2

Temple Hills, MD

#17 Apr 7, 2013
TheTruth45 wrote:
<quoted text> You really need to just stfu!! I just read one of your discussting Interracial post. You sead you only have sex eith whitemboys and you swallow and let them have their way with you..but you spit on brathas for only asking you out for a respectable date. Lol your black trash at its best.
lol

Level 2

Location hidden

#19 Apr 7, 2013
TheTruth45 wrote:
<quoted text>You really need to just stfu!! I just read one of your discussting Interracial post. You sead you only have sex eith whitemboys and you swallow and let them have their way with you..but you spit on brathas for only asking you out for a respectable date. Lol your black trash at its best.
Lol I don't post in those. If I said that, post the link, let me see the proof. You're getting at nothing here. I love my black men lol.

Level 2

Location hidden

#20 Apr 7, 2013
zakinah wrote:
<quoted text>are you really trying to be difficult here seriously? I don't have to tell you what a african looks like you know that yourself. African also have a very distinct look that let's you know they are african, and not just a black american person. African people look different from the blacks that are american.
Obviously you're uneducated on the diversity of Africa, but I'm gonna let you have that opinion of yours. I'm not gonna waste time on fools like you.

Level 4

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#21 Apr 7, 2013
UGbeauty wrote:
<quoted text>
Africans born here with african parents shouldn't be called African American. Yes, it makes sense to call them that, but it's used so much to describe native black americans and their culture, so it would clash. I think africans in America should simply be called African or their country's name plus America.. For example (Nigerian-American, Ugandan-American, Sudanese-American.. Etc). Specify with their country of origin.
I agree, it does clash. We africans that were born here are American, but we have our African culture, heritage, and identity. We should be classified as African American and Black people who have been here since the founding of America should be Black American. The large majority of Black Americans (what I call them) have no sense of African identity, and should not be called African.

Level 2

Temple Hills, MD

#22 Apr 7, 2013
UGbeauty wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously you're uneducated on the diversity of Africa, but I'm gonna let you have that opinion of yours. I'm not gonna waste time on fools like you.
Actually im very educated on the diversity of africa and when you look up a african on the internet they will all look the same and similar in features, now look up a black american girl she will not look like a african. We black americans do not look like africans. Are you mad because black americans do not look like africans? this is clearly true africans have a distinct look that sets them apart from a black american.You all have big feature such as lips, noses and faces . I mean look on the internet it is all there i know what I am talking about !

Level 2

Temple Hills, MD

#24 Apr 7, 2013
Half-Diminished wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, it does clash. We africans that were born here are American, but we have our African culture, heritage, and identity. We should be classified as African American and Black people who have been here since the founding of America should be Black American. The large majority of Black Americans (what I call them) have no sense of African identity, and should not be called African.
Your right we shouldn't be called african american because we are black american. If you wasn't born in africa or you parents weren't or their parents weren't then your not considered african. Of course if we were born in africa we would have the sense of identity. We can't help that are parents aren't africans, that were actually born in africa. I consider myself black american because I was born in america not africa and my parents are black. Sure we are african if you go back down the line during slavery having black ancestors then that's when african comes in. But for the most part blacks in america are not african unless you do the whole your ancestors during slavery were from african. Get it? If not to bad you can't comprehend

Level 2

Location hidden

#25 Apr 7, 2013
zakinah wrote:
<quoted text>Actually im very educated on the diversity of africa and when you look up a african on the internet they will all look the same and similar in features, now look up a black american girl she will not look like a african. We black americans do not look like africans. Are you mad because black americans do not look like africans? this is clearly true africans have a distinct look that sets them apart from a black american.You all have big feature such as lips, noses and faces . I mean look on the internet it is all there i know what I am talking about !
Hey, if that's what you wanna believe then go ahead!! Africans are super diverse in their looks and culture. Obviously your white man mentality has an affect on your thinking. And please girl, I'm not mad I don't look like a black American. At least I HAVE a culture. I know what country I'm from, what region it's in, the exact village, my ancestors.. I got all that information. I have somewhere to hail from, and its beautiful to me!! I don't need any ancestry.com to tell me who I am, so don't tell me I'm mad. I'm a proud african thank you very much!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 33 min Agents of Corruption 1,509,499
Just got another Rude Cashier Fired... (Mar '09) 43 min Highrolla90 133
Why Are Black People So Greedy And Selfish? 1 hr Booiiiiii 51
The 911 They dont want you to know (May '14) 2 hr reallyawesome 344
My black co-workers are soooooo lazy. (Sep '10) 2 hr reallyawesome 114
more white men should become cuckold (Jul '14) 2 hr WannaWatchBlacks 190
News Rolly: Black is beautiful, as long as you're a ... 2 hr PROUD WHITE GUY 2
Do black men really have larger penises? (Sep '10) 7 hr Tina 1,432
More from around the web