The truth about the afro.

“No more hate”

Level 4

Since: Jun 13

North Carolina

#68 Aug 23, 2013
That idiot said brothas starting trying to rock a large fro cause of mike jackson. Bwahhhhhahahahahaha!!
You cant be black. You just cant be. So, the Jacksons made the fro popular huh? It wasnt popular before then? Lmao! Idiot.

“ News”

Level 6

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#69 Aug 23, 2013
bitterSWEET910 wrote:
That idiot said brothas starting trying to rock a large fro cause of mike jackson. Bwahhhhhahahahahaha!!
You cant be black. You just cant be. So, the Jacksons made the fro popular huh? It wasnt popular before then? Lmao! Idiot.
Pill Time!

“No more hate”

Level 4

North Carolina

#70 Aug 24, 2013
KPITRL wrote:
<quoted text>
Pill Time!
Denial.

Im home visiting. Brought this topic up with my mother. She said you are full of shit. A bush is a blowout, typically a large afro... not a small one like you said. I googled it, shes right(im right) and youre wrong.
"An afro,'fro, blowout or bush is a hairstyle that consists of picking out or "blowing out" (blow drying with a comb attachment) black hair in a manner that typically takes on a round shape"

http://www.ehow.com/facts_4843629_natural-hai...

She said all you have to do is watch old Soul train episodes and you see plenty of dark skinned black men with a bush, meaning a large afro.

“No more hate”

Level 4

North Carolina

#71 Aug 24, 2013
Jackson 5 came out around '64 BUT the afro's popularity started with the BLACK IS BEAUTIFUL movement...this was directly connected to the civil rights movement and was designed to make black people love their skin, hair and differences from whites. It was meant to re educate because we where programmed to think everything white was beautiful. The afro became a symbol of strength and was worn by civil rights leaders and those in the Black Panther Party before it became a fashion trend.
So once again..you are WRONG, the fro DID NOT become popular because of the Jackson 5 and was worn prior to the groups discovery.

“ News”

Level 6

Location hidden

#72 Aug 24, 2013
bitterSWEET910 wrote:
<quoted text>
Denial.
Im home visiting. Brought this topic up with my mother. She said you are full of shit. A bush is a blowout, typically a large afro... not a small one like you said. I googled it, shes right(im right) and youre wrong.
"An afro,'fro, blowout or bush is a hairstyle that consists of picking out or "blowing out" (blow drying with a comb attachment) black hair in a manner that typically takes on a round shape"
http://www.ehow.com/facts_4843629_natural-hai...
She said all you have to do is watch old Soul train episodes and you see plenty of dark skinned black men with a bush, meaning a large afro.
My words from the second paragraph in post #60: "Again the bush (the extra large afro) was a style of the late sixties through the 70's"

Learn to read, rabbit. I said all along that the bush was a large afro. Your mother said the same thing I said. At least you do listen to your elders sometimes.

“ News”

Level 6

Location hidden

#73 Aug 24, 2013
bitterSWEET910 wrote:
Jackson 5 came out around '64 BUT the afro's popularity started with the BLACK IS BEAUTIFUL movement...this was directly connected to the civil rights movement and was designed to make black people love their skin, hair and differences from whites. It was meant to re educate because we where programmed to think everything white was beautiful. The afro became a symbol of strength and was worn by civil rights leaders and those in the Black Panther Party before it became a fashion trend.
So once again..you are WRONG, the fro DID NOT become popular because of the Jackson 5 and was worn prior to the groups discovery.
You really are young. What are you in high school or something? Don't try to tell me something I lived. You need to sit down and learn.

The Jackson 5 debuted on the Ed Sullivan show, like most black stars did in the 60's. The year was about 1968, about the same year the black and proud" movement kicked into high gear with James Browns' classic, "Say it Loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud", which was also about 1968. This song is what really kicked off the black and proud movement to this day. There was so much going on during this time, I can remember it like it was yesterday. This was the same year we lost Dr. King and Robert Kennedy. I remember growing up in the hardest hit area of D.C. during the King riots. It was in NW DC. across the street from Malcolm X Park. I'll leave it like that.

I don't have to look up what was going on. I can right what was going on. But back to the bush, it was the Jackson five that made it popular in the late 60's, and it picked up from there. If you really researched the bush hairstyle, it will tell you that, just like Wikipedia tells you.

“ News”

Level 6

Location hidden

#74 Aug 24, 2013
KPITRL wrote:
<quoted text>
You really are young. What are you in high school or something? Don't try to tell me something I lived. You need to sit down and learn.
The Jackson 5 debuted on the Ed Sullivan show, like most black stars did in the 60's. The year was about 1968, about the same year the black and proud" movement kicked into high gear with James Browns' classic, "Say it Loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud", which was also about 1968. This song is what really kicked off the black and proud movement to this day. There was so much going on during this time, I can remember it like it was yesterday. This was the same year we lost Dr. King and Robert Kennedy. I remember growing up in the hardest hit area of D.C. during the King riots. It was in NW DC. across the street from Malcolm X Park. I'll leave it like that.
I don't have to look up what was going on. I can right what was going on. But back to the bush, it was the Jackson five that made it popular in the late 60's, and it picked up from there. If you really researched the bush hairstyle, it will tell you that, just like Wikipedia tells you.
I'm not sure if research will tell you that the Jackson Five made the bush popular. That you have to get from people who was their like myself. But research should at least tell you that the style became popular with us in the late 60's.

“ News”

Level 6

Location hidden

#75 Aug 24, 2013
bitterSWEET910 wrote:
<quoted text>

I also noticed that they used a lot of dark skinned brothers in their Soul Train sponsored Afro-Sheen Blowout Kit commercials targeting the darker skinned brothers. They didn't use too many lighter skinned brothers. That ignored the fat that not all of them could grow a bush easy like Christopher "Kid" Reid (Kid and Play) the light skinned guy with the eraser head, just because they had lighter skin.

“No Substitute For The Truth”

Level 8

Since: Jan 10

Orlando, FL

#76 Aug 24, 2013
KPITRL wrote:
<quoted text>
I also noticed that they used a lot of dark skinned brothers in their Soul Train sponsored Afro-Sheen Blowout Kit commercials targeting the darker skinned brothers. They didn't use too many lighter skinned brothers. That ignored the fat that not all of them could grow a bush easy like Christopher "Kid" Reid (Kid and Play) the light skinned guy with the eraser head, just because they had lighter skin.
African Man with an Afro
http://oi43.tinypic.com/28u1qbo.jpg

Level 8

Orlando, FL

#77 Aug 24, 2013
Another African Man with large Afro
http://www.okayafrica.com/wp-content/uploads/...

“ News”

Level 6

Location hidden

#78 Aug 24, 2013
Redefined wrote:
I still don't believe it was that popular over there, otherwise it wouldn't have taken so long to find those photos. I think Africans, like most of the men on the planet, basically preferred their women to have the long hair eventually, whether that be a bush. an afro, or straight hair. Believe me, most brothers probably don't want to be bothered with a bush or medium sized afro after a while. Most of us had to constantly spray chemicals on our hair like afrosheen to get through those painful naps (a figure of speech), which I remember could almost bring tears to your eyes if your father combed your hair a few times as a child, especially if he didn't spray some kind of chemical to your hair to loosen the naps, or tangles for a better choice of words.

It was really easier if you left it platted or braided, if it didn't make you look feminite, in which many cases it did for ones in grade school. Then I still remember me and my young day sweating bullets every time I went to the barbershop and got mine trimmed. If they messed up, you wouldn't want to come to school or out side for days.

You still haven't answered my question. What made certain African-American men able to grew a bush fast and easy like the Jacksons and the Silvers, when most of us couldn't, and as result were targeted with products like the Afrosheen Blowout Kit? That was my main focus, and not so much the African stuff. I gave my opinion on why some could grow them easier and much faster.

“ News”

Level 6

Location hidden

#79 Aug 24, 2013
Redefined wrote:
This looks more like a combination of African-American style and Nigerian. Using the term Nigerian Funk, it looks like that's what this represents. The 70's time period indicates that even more, when the bush and funk was at it's peak. However, my intent was never to focus on what was going on in Africa. I was talking about what we were experiencing during this bush/afro period. That was the purpose of my thread.

“ News”

Level 6

Location hidden

#80 Aug 24, 2013
Correction: Afro-Funk.
Whatever

Kent, OH

#81 Aug 24, 2013
Never understood the rumpus over black people hair. Every race use soemthing to condition their hair. Black men make it seem like a crime to groom their hair. I understand after MJ the bold head was cool, but have you ever seen MJ hair before he shaved? MJ couldn't even get bruch waves. Now it's like blackmen just said, "forget it I can't compete with the hair." So they shaved it off. Hell, every go into a CVS, Walmart or Wallgreens? It's counters full of products for white folks to use to condition they're hair. I seen an Asian girl carrying Wen hair products so I thought I asked. She told me that most Asian women & some Asian men use the same products as whites to make their hair look healthy. People make it seem like Asians, Indians & whites just have to wash their hair & go. That's not the case,it's not natural. Why do blacks take a beat down over their hair? Especially black men. It's like American black men hair should look like African hair & we aren't aloud to groom our hair. Now hair weeves I can't stand. Hair weeves look silly to me on a black women, it's like a black man walking around with Indian hair glued ontop of their head. Not all black women, but most of them look silly. Besides, it make other ethnic groups feel superior.

“ News”

Level 6

Location hidden

#82 Aug 24, 2013
December 1969. The Jackson Fives' Debut on the Ed Sullivan Show with, "I Want You Back".

I don't mean to rub it in, but this brings back memories of Michael Jackson, the brother we grew up with. I don't like the way he went out. I thought I'd dedicate this to him and give him more credit he deserves. All the teenage girls were crazy about these brothers. This was one of the main reason why so many of us went out of our way as youths to get the bush. They set the stage for other soul groups to wear the bush/afro in the 70's. The brother was before his time.

happy

Brooklyn, NY

#83 Aug 24, 2013
Liberal Counselor wrote:
In the 60's black women wore afros all the time & really didn't look too bad, now they wear those sorry looking wigs & weaves & look like big fat clowns, think they all that too, ugly she apes.
So- if your blk and male what then would that make YOU??/ smh
happy

Brooklyn, NY

#84 Aug 24, 2013
This 'thread' make absolutely NO sense whatsoever. Blkppl texture hair wheither kinky, tight curl, loose curl, shiort fro, medium fro, LARGE fro, a fro and /or afro was a afro REGUARDLESS of THE TEXTURE OF THE BLK INDIVIDUAL HAIR; different then or if blkppl were to wear an afro today.

Blkppl back then had their own cultural hair styles and AFROS were one of their styles then- no different than it is today. Also braids in the past with blkppl texture hair- braids are the SAME today; with blkppl textures of hair. And DREAD LOCS ARE NO DIFFERENT; reguardless of the different textures of blkppl hair or growth span. Blkppl will ALWAYS have their cultural hair styles to compliment their VARIOUS textures of hair wheither their texture of hair is kinky, tight curl, close to the scalp curl, medium curl, or loose curl.

“ News”

Level 6

Location hidden

#85 Aug 24, 2013
happy wrote:
This 'thread' make absolutely NO sense whatsoever. Blkppl texture hair wheither kinky, tight curl, loose curl, shiort fro, medium fro, LARGE fro, a fro and /or afro was a afro REGUARDLESS of THE TEXTURE OF THE BLK INDIVIDUAL HAIR; different then or if blkppl were to wear an afro today.
Blkppl back then had their own cultural hair styles and AFROS were one of their styles then- no different than it is today. Also braids in the past with blkppl texture hair- braids are the SAME today; with blkppl textures of hair. And DREAD LOCS ARE NO DIFFERENT; reguardless of the different textures of blkppl hair or growth span. Blkppl will ALWAYS have their cultural hair styles to compliment their VARIOUS textures of hair wheither their texture of hair is kinky, tight curl, close to the scalp curl, medium curl, or loose curl.
I basically said this in post#60. Either you can't read, or you're trying to take credit for the lessons I've been giving you here. BTW, how many accounts do you have? Either way, you need help.

Level 8

Orlando, FL

#86 Aug 24, 2013
KPITRL wrote:
<quoted text>

You still haven't answered my question. What made certain African-American men able to grew a bush fast and easy like the Jacksons and the Silvers, when most of us couldn't, and as result were targeted with products like the Afrosheen Blowout Kit? That was my main focus, and not so much the African stuff. I gave my opinion on why some could grow them easier and much faster.
I've answered this question a few times. There is no one specific answer because there are multiple factors to hair growth. Based on a few research articles about hair growth, one reason some hair grow faster may be due too how ur hair is handled regularly. Seems certain styles or styling methods can slow down growth. Limiting manipulation is one solution mentioned for faster hair growth. Think about it! There is no tellin' how often some PPL frequently mess with their hair to keep it lookin' a certain way.

Also there were other factors such as hormones, diet, washing, etc. Genetics may also play a role as well on how fast hair grows but it doesn't necessarily mean this is the reason which has been ur main argument.

“ News”

Level 6

Location hidden

#87 Aug 24, 2013
Redefined wrote:
<quoted text>
I've answered this question a few times. There is no one specific answer because there are multiple factors to hair growth. Based on a few research articles about hair growth, one reason some hair grow faster may be due too how ur hair is handled regularly. Seems certain styles or styling methods can slow down growth. Limiting manipulation is one solution mentioned for faster hair growth. Think about it! There is no tellin' how often some PPL frequently mess with their hair to keep it lookin' a certain way.
Also there were other factors such as hormones, diet, washing, etc. Genetics may also play a role as well on how fast hair grows but it doesn't necessarily mean this is the reason which has been ur main argument.

I believe you went to far with the other factors, although they do tend to get over looked. My point was admixture is needed for the most part for the speed growth, however it's not always the determinant. Well, I guess we can agree to disagree on this one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min Grey Ghostmoron 1,534,761
Low self esteem? 17 min The Amused Axe 2
News Rep. Maxine Waters takes impeachment campaign t... 34 min JohnInLa 12
Is maxine waters retarded? 1 hr Fking lunatic 3
Jennifer Lopez - Is she Native American or Afri... (Jul '11) 1 hr Trini2000 256
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 2 hr SmallDyckMaceo 51,338
I'm a married white women having sex with Black... (Jun '10) 2 hr SmallDyckMaceo 238
Europe was the birthplace of mankind, not Africa 3 hr SadButTrue 90
Bill Cosby blames racism for his [email protected] scandal. 4 hr SadButTrue 179
Political Correctness Is Dangerous 5 hr SadButTrue 38
Racism in America 5 hr SadButTrue 568
White supremacist fake hanging of a black girl 5 hr SadButTrue 20
More from around the web