The truth about the afro.

“ News”

Level 6

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#48 Aug 22, 2013
Trouble wrote:
LMAO...this thread was DOA(dead on arrival)from the beginning. Kudos to the two posters who have the OP a reality check. Black folks been rockin the afro since ancient Africa (Egypt)
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/143/346665385_...
http://picturestack.com/141/965/Kp9Picture4mf...
Africans aint wearing Afros for the same reason African Americans don't wear dreadlocks like Jamaicans- it's not the style for them..you mental midget.
Idiot, we know civilization started in Africa. I could show you secret photo's of monuments of African men and women wearing dreds on Mars. Do you feel black and proud? Now get back in your time capsule in come to recent times with everybody else.

You still missed the point I was making about African-American brothers and their ability to wear afros'. And you won't find many African men wearing them in recent times. For it to be so popular over in Africa, it sure been out of style for a long time on most of the continent. That should tell you something. That's where most African-American get misled. We got this style from little Micheal Jackson, and it was originally called the bush. The biggest thing we had in common with Africa during that time was actually the Dashiki.

Many Africans just weren't and still aren't all that crazy about you in general. Most of them don't even like you to give your kids African names. They laugh at you behind your back.

“ News”

Level 6

Location hidden

#49 Aug 22, 2013
Trouble wrote:
<quoted text>kind of slick how you chose to comment on his post about dreads and hair length, but ignored the post about the black ancient egyptians who wore afros. here it is again, black ancient egyptians rockin afros- this time i added some more pics
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/143/346665385_...
http://picturestack.com/141/965/Kp9Picture4mf...
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k513/tlxl...
http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7022/668766369...
so your piece of shyt thread is still dead and debunked, anyway you look at it- ya fcukin retard.
Instead of being a smart azz, why don't you try learning something about your own country, lost child.

“No Substitute For The Truth”

Level 8

Since: Jan 10

United States

#50 Aug 22, 2013
KPITRL wrote:
<quoted text>
I wasn't talking about the hair length. We already agreed on that. I was talking about the admixture in the hair genes. Do a google on Africans with afro's. You'll find very few if any Africans wearing afros' in recent times...men in particular. I went ahead and did a couple of searches and I could hardly find any dark skin African-American brothers wearing afro's, the large Michael Jackson ones especially. Most of them had short afro's, if they wore them at all. I know because I was there. So searching the internet doesn't prove much to me anyway. The men wearing the largest Afro's were mostly brown skin and light skinned men. I didn't want to go their too much, but it's going there anyway. So now it's on. I never said a dark skinned brother couldn't grow a large afro, but it would take too long, and most found it wasn't worth it. Perhaps some could grow them longer than a light skinned brothers bush after awhile. It's not really important. If any brother is that concerned, than he may as well compete with women. That crazy person used Don King for an example, who haven't had a hair cut since he managed Ali...I mean really. As far as the ability to grow hair, I know some women who could probably grow a mustache, if they don't shave it in their entire lives. That Ethiopian girl was one of them who had that potential. You can see that potential in a lot of African-American women too, however they will never mention it, like most women probably won't.
And for that clown who tried to accuse me of light skinned favoritism, although she didn't want to say it, how could that be when I made it clear the Marlon Jackson, the lightest Jackson from Tito, couldn't grow an afro like the rest of his brothers. Then I admitted that I myself, couldn't grow an afro like my dark skinned brother. I see some black people here still have underlying issues they can't discuss in a civilized manner. smh
I'm still a bit confused on ur argument but it kinda seem like ur saying an Afro is NOT a Natural darker skinned hairstyle.

“ News”

Level 6

Location hidden

#51 Aug 22, 2013
Redefined wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm still a bit confused on ur argument but it kinda seem like ur saying an Afro is NOT a Natural darker skinned hairstyle.
That seems to be more the case. But it would also depend on what part of the continent they lived on. Places like North Africa (Egypt), and maybe even East Africa (Ethiopia/Somolia) may have worn different hair styles, including the afro in particular, sometime during civilization...I'm focusing on the males.

However my main emphasis is on West Africa, the part most African-Americans came from during slavery...the part we're supposed to be more related to. I see very little evidence of the males wearing afros there. So who have we been emulating wearing the afros', Ancient Egyptians, who could care less about about us than West Africans.

West Africa although they have there issues with us, seem to related to us at least a little better. But Africans who have straighter hair or curlier hair, or whatever you want to call it, look down on African-Americans more than any of them. That's the experience I had with them, Ethiopians included...who are actually the poorest of all black people.
Trouble

Brooklyn, NY

#52 Aug 22, 2013
KPITRL wrote:
<quoted text>However my main emphasis is on West Africa, the part most African-Americans came from during slavery...the part we're supposed to be more related to. I see very little evidence of the males wearing afros there. So who have we been emulating wearing the afros', Ancient Egyptians, who could care less about about us than West Africans.
LOL..you are so stupid. AA wearing Afros had nothing to do with emulating anybody, you dunce. People make up styles all the time..the afro was simply a style for a short period of time in black America. African Americans don't wear deadlocks like jamaicans, that don't mean they cant grow dreads..west africans wearent rockin afros that don't mean they can't grow afros. The afro was just a style African americans made, right now people are rockin mohawks.

“ News”

Level 6

Location hidden

#53 Aug 22, 2013
Trouble wrote:
<quoted text>LOL..you are so stupid. AA wearing Afros had nothing to do with emulating anybody, you dunce. People make up styles all the time..the afro was simply a style for a short period of time in black America. African Americans don't wear deadlocks like jamaicans, that don't mean they cant grow dreads..west africans wearent rockin afros that don't mean they can't grow afros. The afro was just a style African americans made, right now people are rockin mohawks.
Now what are you talking about? Fool, go to.bed.

Level 8

United States

#54 Aug 22, 2013
KPITRL wrote:
<quoted text>
That seems to be more the case. But it would also depend on what part of the continent they lived on. Places like North Africa (Egypt), and maybe even East Africa (Ethiopia/Somolia) may have worn different hair styles, including the afro in particular, sometime during civilization...I'm focusing on the males.
However my main emphasis is on West Africa, the part most African-Americans came from during slavery...the part we're supposed to be more related to. I see very little evidence of the males wearing afros there. So who have we been emulating wearing the afros', Ancient Egyptians, who could care less about about us than West Africans.
West Africa although they have there issues with us, seem to related to us at least a little better. But Africans who have straighter hair or curlier hair, or whatever you want to call it, look down on African-Americans more than any of them. That's the experience I had with them, Ethiopians included...who are actually the poorest of all black people.
I think you're puttin' too much emphasis on the size instead of the fact all Blacks can naturally grow an Afro. For some Black men it may be a little easier due to their hair type. But this doesn't mean an Afro is MORE or less natural. That's like saying straighter hair is MORE natural to Asians because it's easier from them to wear this style than other races.
THE NEGRO

United States

#55 Aug 22, 2013
Trouble wrote:
<quoted text>LOL..you are so stupid. AA wearing Afros had nothing to do with emulating anybody, you dunce. People make up styles all the time..the afro was simply a style for a short period of time in black America. African Americans don't wear deadlocks like jamaicans, that don't mean they cant grow dreads..west africans wearent rockin afros that don't mean they can't grow afros. The afro was just a style African americans made, right now people are rockin mohawks.
Mah man, why dont you calm all that down cussin another brotha out, especially in front of these racist honkeys, over an afro. It's not that serious.
Wayne X

Manassas, VA

#56 Aug 22, 2013
Redefined wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you're puttin' too much emphasis on the size instead of the fact all Blacks can naturally grow an Afro. For some Black men it may be a little easier due to their hair type. But this doesn't mean an Afro is MORE or less natural. That's like saying straighter hair is MORE natural to Asians because it's easier from them to wear this style than other races.
Regardless Afro is still natural to Black people. Some BM afros may not be full as others, but that doesn't mean we need admixture for a full fro.

“ News”

Level 6

Location hidden

#57 Aug 22, 2013
Redefined wrote:
<quoted text>
African-Americans are too mixed to determine what type their hair is going to be when it comes down to the nitty-gritty, unlike native Africans. I focused on the size because that's what the brothers did back in the day. The goal was to get that Michael Jackson (which most of us didn't) so you could pull that girl. They sold you this Afro-Sheen Blow-out Kit from Soul Train, which barely gave you a JJ Evans to a Michael Evans. This is all funny to me now, and it's no big deal, although it was in high school. We didn't know anything about hair texture. We saw Michael and went for it. That's the way it was.

Level 8

United States

#58 Aug 23, 2013
KPITRL wrote:
<quoted text>
African-Americans are too mixed to determine what type their hair is going to be when it comes down to the nitty-gritty, unlike native Africans. I focused on the size because that's what the brothers did back in the day. The goal was to get that Michael Jackson (which most of us didn't) so you could pull that girl. They sold you this Afro-Sheen Blow-out Kit from Soul Train, which barely gave you a JJ Evans to a Michael Evans. This is all funny to me now, and it's no big deal, although it was in high school. We didn't know anything about hair texture. We saw Michael and went for it. That's the way it was.
What type of hair?? You need wooly hair to have an Afro & wooly hair is a Black African trait. There are variations of all hair from wooly to straight. Everyone doesn't have the same hair type. Some have more coarse hair while some have less coarse hair. Some have bone straight hair some have less bone straight hair. Regardless if Afros are NOT popular in West Africa....the style was still worn because Africans have wooly hair.

Level 8

United States

#59 Aug 23, 2013
Wayne X wrote:
<quoted text>
Regardless Afro is still natural to Black people. Some BM afros may not be full as others, but that doesn't mean we need admixture for a full fro.
Of course it is.

“ News”

Level 6

Location hidden

#60 Aug 23, 2013
Redefined wrote:
<quoted text>
What type of hair?? You need wooly hair to have an Afro & wooly hair is a Black African trait. There are variations of all hair from wooly to straight. Everyone doesn't have the same hair type. Some have more coarse hair while some have less coarse hair. Some have bone straight hair some have less bone straight hair. Regardless if Afros are NOT popular in West Africa....the style was still worn because Africans have wooly hair.
I should be asking you what kind of hair do you think it takes to grow a fast bush.

I disagree. The style was worn because Michael Jackson introduced it, which was the bush. Wooly hair is no style. That's our normal trait. To be techincal, the afro was always here, if you put it like that. Some left it uncombed, which we called nappy, and some combed it, and trimmed it, which is really defines an afro. That's been here as long as black people been here. Again the bush (the extra large afro) was a style of the late sixties through the 70's. Again, the goal was to get it as large as you possibly could, as fast as you could. And a lot of brothers did things to their hair that may have caused more damage in the long run.

When you think about it, it can almost be viewed as an insult to call an afro a style (which really indicates Africa). We are more than a hair trait. Wholly hair is just our natural hair type. There's a lot more to Africans than that. White people, who have straight hair by nature, don't reduce that natural trait to a style or fad and say they're wearing a caucasoid or a name similar. But the hippies brought in the long hair style for white men. That was a style. At the same time, our style was the bush. But most African-American men don't grow long hair fast like other races. I have no problem admitting that. I mean we're not animals, so it's no big deal.

So again, what do you think causes an African-American man to be able to quickly grow a large bush like the Jackson Brothers. As I said, most brothers, it took too long.
Lisa

Ash Flat, AR

#61 Aug 23, 2013
No 'Black' Drivers in NASCAR ???
David Letterman may not get any flack from NASCAR, but I'll bet he does get some 'flack' from the NAACP, and others such as Al Sharpton and the Rev. Jackson will absolutely go nuts
David Letterman's Top 10 reasons why there are no black NASCAR drivers:

# 10 - Have to sit up straight in the seat while driving.
# 9 - Pistol won't stay under front seat.
# 8 - Engine noise drowns out the rap music.
# 7 - Pit crew can't work on the car while holding up their pants atthe same time.
# 6 - They keep trying to carjack Dale Earnhardt Jr.
# 5 - Police cars on track interfere with race.
# 4 - No passenger seat for the Ho.
# 3 - No Cadillacs approved for competition.
# 2 - When they crash their cars, they bail out & run from force of habit.
AND THE NUMBER ONE REASON WHY
BLACKS CAN'T BE IN NASCAR...

# 1 - They can't wear their helmets sideways.

“ News”

Level 6

Location hidden

#62 Aug 23, 2013
KPITRL wrote:
<quoted text>
I should be asking you what kind of hair do you think it takes to grow a fast bush.
I disagree. The style was worn because Michael Jackson introduced it, which was the bush. Wooly hair is no style. That's our normal trait. To be techincal, the afro was always here, if you put it like that. Some left it uncombed, which we called nappy, and some combed it, and trimmed it, which is really defines an afro. That's been here as long as black people been here. Again the bush (the extra large afro) was a style of the late sixties through the 70's. Again, the goal was to get it as large as you possibly could, as fast as you could. And a lot of brothers did things to their hair that may have caused more damage in the long run.
When you think about it, it can almost be viewed as an insult to call an afro a style (which really indicates Africa). We are more than a hair trait. Wholly hair is just our natural hair type. There's a lot more to Africans than that. White people, who have straight hair by nature, don't reduce that natural trait to a style or fad and say they're wearing a caucasoid or a name similar. But the hippies brought in the long hair style for white men. That was a style. At the same time, our style was the bush. But most African-American men don't grow long hair fast like other races. I have no problem admitting that. I mean we're not animals, so it's no big deal.
So again, what do you think causes an African-American man to be able to quickly grow a large bush like the Jackson Brothers. As I said, most brothers, it took too long.
Instead of saying we are more than a hair trait, I should have said, Africa is more than just a hair trait. The name afro didn't even come from Africa. Neither of the two ladies I dated from Africa ever called it such or spoke of anybody over there wearing one.

“ News”

Level 6

Location hidden

#63 Aug 23, 2013
KPITRL wrote:
<quoted text>
Instead of saying we are more than a hair trait, I should have said, Africa is more than just a hair trait. The name afro didn't even come from Africa. Neither of the two ladies I dated from Africa ever called it such or spoke of anybody over there wearing one.
Oh, I practically did say that, but I guess it didn't hurt to add a little.

Level 8

United States

#64 Aug 23, 2013
KPITRL wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm NOT saying wooly hair is a style. I guess ur definition of an Afro is one that has MORE of a shape to it or resembles Afros from the 70s. Still If you have wooly hair, you can grow an Afro BUT any hair style of course will require some kinda maintenance. If this isn't an issue, you should be able too grow a so called Bush. Not having the ability means NOT having wooly hair or ur hair is receding.

“ News”

Level 6

Location hidden

#65 Aug 23, 2013
Redefined wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm NOT saying wooly hair is a style. I guess ur definition of an Afro is one that has MORE of a shape to it or resembles Afros from the 70s. Still If you have wooly hair, you can grow an Afro BUT any hair style of course will require some kinda maintenance. If this isn't an issue, you should be able too grow a so called Bush. Not having the ability means NOT having wooly hair or ur hair is receding.
Not having the ability to grow it fast was the obstacle for most of us. That's when they pushed the Afro-Sheen Blowout Kit. Which got brothers from JJ Evans to Michael Evans and probably to James Evans to Damon Wayans.
THE NEGRO

United States

#66 Aug 23, 2013
Lisa wrote:
No 'Black' Drivers in NASCAR ???
David Letterman may not get any flack from NASCAR, but I'll bet he does get some 'flack' from the NAACP, and others such as Al Sharpton and the Rev. Jackson will absolutely go nuts
David Letterman's Top 10 reasons why there are no black NASCAR drivers:
# 10 - Have to sit up straight in the seat while driving.
# 9 - Pistol won't stay under front seat.
# 8 - Engine noise drowns out the rap music.
# 7 - Pit crew can't work on the car while holding up their pants atthe same time.
# 6 - They keep trying to carjack Dale Earnhardt Jr.
# 5 - Police cars on track interfere with race.
# 4 - No passenger seat for the Ho.
# 3 - No Cadillacs approved for competition.
# 2 - When they crash their cars, they bail out & run from force of habit.
AND THE NUMBER ONE REASON WHY
BLACKS CAN'T BE IN NASCAR...
# 1 - They can't wear their helmets sideways.
Hahahahaaaaa!!! Byatch, we don't like to drink and drive like they do.

Level 8

United States

#67 Aug 23, 2013
KPITRL wrote:
<quoted text>
Not having the ability to grow it fast was the obstacle for most of us. That's when they pushed the Afro-Sheen Blowout Kit. Which got brothers from JJ Evans to Michael Evans and probably to James Evans to Damon Wayans.
The article I posted stated harsh styling or harsh chemicals can cause damage which has to be reversed slowing down the growth rate. A Blowout kit sound like you are applying constant heat to ur hair. If growing hair fast is an obstacle...a blowout kit wouldn't be a proper solution. Learning what contributes to slow hair growth is a better solution which has many factors.
http://www.wikihow.com/Speed-up-Hair-Growth

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How did Jesus and the Hebrews become WHITE? (Dec '13) 3 min real expert 46
News Hillary Clinton Charges Racism 11 min Michel Montvert 609
Le PAPYRUS de KAMARA (Nov '15) 14 min Michel Montvert 1,179
Islam an empire of faith (Oct '12) 17 min Michel Montvert 7,341
News Trump calls on GOP to improve African-American ... 17 min RushFan666 1,211
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 20 min FYVM 1,431,415
Why did they Nuked Japan but not Germany??? 23 min Michel Montvert 224
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 59 min Moses 48,738
What music are you listening to right now? (Sep '08) 3 hr obama 35,230
IR at the walmart 5 hr Mick 46