African Union offers Dual Citizenship...

African Union offers Dual Citizenship to Black Americans!

Posted in the African-American Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Vito

United States

#1 Dec 1, 2006
This is of major importance to us as Black Americans.
When you have finished reading this message, there are only two things you should do. First, tell every black man, woman and child you know and love about this. Second, sign the petition ! It only takes ten seconds, is secure and private, and it is just that important!
And now...
Not sure if you knew this, but the African Union , the African version of the European Union, has made a monumental decision and has decided to offer full dual citizenship to Black Americans in participating African countries of the African Union. Their aim, say Union leaders, is to “tap into the technological expertise and education of Black Americans” to help solve some of the most daunting challenges facing Africa today. On the flip side, Black Americans will gain a long overdue true, legal connection to the African Continent and their ancestral roots.
Besides reconnecting to long severed genealogy, African Americans stand to gain a smörgåsbord of fringe benefits by seeking dual citizenship. Among other things, this will include the right to buy and sell land, the right to own and operate businesses, and the opportunity to take part in the political and legal processes of their second nation.
As exciting as this may be, the members of the committees who are drafting this proposal have been defining and redefining the language of the proposal for over four long years. In 2008, at the Annual African Union Summit, Union leaders plan to unveil their first tentative plan that will define their vision of the dual citizenship proposal.
This is 400 years overdue. Black Americans have been suffering the psychological brain damage of severed ancestral ties to their true African roots for far too long. At the same time, much of Africa, has been suffering from the deadly virus of colonization, poverty, and disease for longer than neccessary. It is time we showed support for our once ancestral continent. There is an online petition -- http://thiscause.org/p/menu.php... -- that will be printed and sent in bulk by the thousands to the African Union before the summit in 2008. Show your support of the dual citizenship proposal to give African Americans dual citizenship in African Countries. Convince the African Union leaders that Black America wants dual citizenship in Africa and that it is time for the proposal to be turned into law. And let the resurrection of the great continent of Africa Begin.
Vito

United States

#2 Dec 1, 2006

When you have finished reading this message, there are only two things you should do. First, tell every black man, woman and child you know and love about this. Second, sign the petition ! It only takes ten seconds, is secure and private, and it is just that important!

And now...

Not sure if you knew this, but the African Union , the African version of the European Union, has made a monumental decision and has decided to offer full dual citizenship to Black Americans in participating African countries of the African Union. Their aim, say Union leaders, is to “tap into the technological expertise and education of Black Americans” to help solve some of the most daunting challenges facing Africa today. On the flip side, Black Americans will gain a long overdue true, legal connection to the African Continent and their ancestral roots.

Besides reconnecting to long severed genealogy, African Americans stand to gain a smörgåsbord of fringe benefits by seeking dual citizenship. Among other things, this will include the right to buy and sell land, the right to own and operate businesses, and the opportunity to take part in the political and legal processes of their second nation.

As exciting as this may be, the members of the committees who are drafting this proposal have been defining and redefining the language of the proposal for over four long years. In 2008, at the Annual African Union Summit, Union leaders plan to unveil their first tentative plan that will define their vision of the dual citizenship proposal.

This is 400 years overdue. Black Americans have been suffering the psychological brain damage of severed ancestral ties to their true African roots for far too long. At the same time, much of Africa, has been suffering from the deadly virus of colonization, poverty, and disease for longer than neccessary. It is time we showed support for our once ancestral continent. There is an online petition -- http://thiscause.org/p/menu.php... ...-- that will be printed and sent in bulk by the thousands to the African Union before the summit in 2008. Show your support of the dual citizenship proposal to give African Americans dual citizenship in African Countries. Convince the African Union leaders that Black America wants dual citizenship in Africa and that it is time for the proposal to be turned into law. And let the resurrection of the great continent of Africa Begin.
Vito

United States

#4 Dec 1, 2006
To Ashley:

I was literally filled with joy to read your response. And it is also a dream of mine that we, as Black African People, will unite as a people economically, socially, and politically across the globe to secure our future and prosperity. However, I am no longer satisfied to dream or talk about this, and so that is why I have created the petition. I want every black person in America to know what the African union is trying to offer dual citizenship to African Americans.

So please sign the petition, ashley, and let the AU know that you care about Africa and your genealogy and heritage!
Vito

United States

#5 Dec 1, 2006
To Ashley:

I was filled with joy to read your response. It is also a dream of mine that we, as Black African people--no matter what are nationality--will unite socially, politically, and economically to secure our future and prosperity. That is why I created the petition, so that I can stop talking and dreaming about it and do just a little something to make that dream a reality.

So please sign the petition, Ashley, and show the African Union that you support their move to create dual citizenship for African American people. It would be a tragedy of historical proportion if the idea was never turned into law because the African Union mistakenly thought that we Black Americans do not cherish the idea of reconnecting, truly and legally with our African ancestral land.
Vito

Murfreesboro, TN

#10 Dec 1, 2006
Ashley, sorry, maybe I worded that wrong. i meant that it is no longer a dream, because I want it to be a reality. But yes, connecting to my roots is of the utmost importance tome. Here is a link to the petition: http://thiscause.org/p/menu.php...
Vito

United States

#13 Dec 2, 2006
Well, the full plan has not been released to the general public. Again, they plan to reveal the plan at the summit next year, in 2008. Th actual summit site( which i put a link for in my message before this one) says this so far about the summit:Summit VIII to be held May, 2008 in Arusha, Tanzania. Check back for details.

Here is link to notes, remarks and speeches on the previous summits: http://www.thesullivanfoundation.org/summit/s...

Finally, Ashley, I wrote an email to the Summit's foundation, which I will paste, that asked for this specific information. I will let you know what there response is when I receive it.
----------

Here is the email i sent:

To the Public Information Liaison for the Leon H. Sullivan Summit,

I am the Author of a petition that supports your foundation's and the African Union's proposal to Grant Citizenship to African American citizens in participating African countries. Many of the people who've signed the petition would like to know which African countries have agreed to grant citizenship to African Americans. We realize, of course, that the details of the proposal will be unveiled and discussed at the 2008 summit in Tanzania, but we request any preliminary information that you can share.

We would like to know the following:

1. The names of the African Union member countries that have expressed a willingness to offer dual citizenship.

2. The specific link on your website where we can read remarks and speeches that relate to the dual citizenship for African American citizens proposal.

Your help will be greatly appreciated. May we hear from you by December 9th?

Sincerely,

Vitorrio Brooks
Author of The Petition to Support Dual Citizenship for African Americans In Africa.
Valerie NM

Austin, TX

#15 Dec 2, 2006
Vito wrote:
And now...
This is 400 years overdue. Black Americans have been suffering the psychological brain damage of severed ancestral ties to their true African roots for far too long. At the same time, much of Africa, has been suffering from the deadly virus of colonization, poverty, and disease for longer than neccessary. It is time we showed support for our once ancestral continent. There is an online petition -- http://thiscause.org/p/menu.php... ...-- that will be printed and sent in bulk by the thousands to the African Union before the summit in 2008. Show your support of the dual citizenship proposal to give African Americans dual citizenship in African Countries. Convince the African Union leaders that Black America wants dual citizenship in Africa and that it is time for the proposal to be turned into law. And let the resurrection of the great continent of Africa Begin.
Hi Vito I am excited by your petition and I will definately sign my name to having dual citizenship in African Countries. Of great interest to me is being able to learn about a great continent and her people whose blood also flows through mine.
Vito

United States

#16 Dec 2, 2006
Hi Valerie,

thanks for signing, and tell everybody you know about the petition, too. For some reason, there has been little to know talk about it in the mainstream American press, even though the African Union has been working on the proposal for over four years now. We have to spread the word ourselves.

And, to Ashley:

Yes, that's my real name.
Valerie NM

Austin, TX

#18 Dec 2, 2006
Vito wrote:
Hi Valerie,
thanks for signing, and tell everybody you know about the petition, too. For some reason, there has been little to know talk about it in the mainstream American press, even though the African Union has been working on the proposal for over four years now. We have to spread the word ourselves.
And, to Ashley:
Yes, that's my real name.
Hi I think one of the reason that much hasn't been said in the various media about this because most do not give this issue the proper seriousness that it deserves. Dual citizenship does not mean that African Americans as some sarcastically joke that we will hope on boats and planes to return to Africa as though there will be some mass exodus, because for good or bad this country is where we know regardless of the fact that it does not embrace us and looks at us only now and say we are Americans with sneering contempt. As though they had offered this all along, and it was African Americans who had denied this designation.
What dual citizenship would allow us to do is as you said reconnect with a people who many of us still identfy with, of a people who look very similar to us, and whose ancestory we share. It will give us those who seek dual citizenship away to legal invest in business in Africa..creating new businesses that can help those countries in Africa, and its populance, for one..
Perhaps if you could further show how this dual citizenship could also facilitate economic progress in Africa as well as the benefits to us there would be more interest. And when there is interest soon or a later the media picks up on it.
Vito

United States

#19 Dec 2, 2006
Valerie,

That is an excellent point. Give me a little time to address that.
Vito

United States

#20 Dec 2, 2006
Valerie,

While I was looking into this, i realized that I may have misunderstood your question. As far as the benefits for African Americans, beyond the reconnecting with the African continent, citizenship will endow those Black Americans who seek it with the legal rights of its national citizens. In 2008, we will discover what, if any, restrictions, will be placed on that--most likely to hold a government position, a person would probably have to live in that country for a while.

If, however, you were talking about the challenges of FDI (Foreign Direct Investment) in Africa, then you will probably enjoy this link here: http://www.unctad.org/TEMPLATES/Page.asp...

As far as how the country develops after they grant African Americans citizenship, only the future can tell. But creating such laws will be the doorway to all future possibilities.

Also, I wrote African Union and posed that question, I will post their response here once I receive it.
Vito

Murfreesboro, TN

#22 Dec 4, 2006
"Common African currency in 2010"

afrol News, 29 November - The African Union Group of Eminent Persons on reparation has concluded plans to introduce a bank of all African currency in 2010. Named Gold Mandela, the suggested continental legal tender was expected to boost investment and trade in Africa.

Peter Alexander Egom, the Coordinator of African Capital & Commodity Services Company, is organising a five day summit designed to bring together more than 200 delegates from all over Africa and the Diaspora to brainstorm, network and exchange creative ideals towards the realisation of the project. Mr Egom, said the proposed bank would issue Gold Mandela, as the legal tender for transaction of business among members countries.

Mr Egom said the proposed common currency bank would be actualised in the next four years because "we have concrete plans to move Africa forward in the manner the Chinese are doing. We want Africa to be the centre of global economy. The Black race, have spent 500 years to build the economies of Europe and the Americas, and the time has come to do it for ourselves,” Mr Egom told Nigeria's daily 'Vanguard'.

Mr Egom said Gold Mandela would not be a pipe-dream like the ECO, a common currency being designed by five Western African states.

"Indeed, the West African Monetary Institute (WAMI), which has had the mandate to fast-track the emergence of the ECO, originally by January 2003, then by July 2005 and has now rescheduled to fly by July 2009. Why ECO has been a pipe dream is that the pillars or promoters of the currency are located in France and Europe, not in Africa," he said.

For years, nationals of the five West African states have been putting heads together to introduce a single currency called the ECO. But the lofty idea seems to be buried under the drawers and could not therefore be implemented.

And the irony of it all is that member countries of West Africa Monetary Zone (WAMZ)- Ghana, The Gambia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone and Guinea - keep deferring the launch of ECO.

While the fate of ECO hangs in the balance, Ghanaian officials on Monday said even if ECO is launched, it would take their country three years to do so.

According to the first Deputy Governor of THE Bank of Ghana, Mr Van Lare Dosoo, the Eco would not be legal tender in Ghana until after some two to three years of its introduction. "Realistically, we are not going to use ECO but until two or three years after," Mr Dosoo disclosed.

The re-denomination of Ghana's cedi currency, according to officials, would impede the implementation of the ECO. Bank officials were strategising efforts to put the weak cedis to the level of currencies of other countries.

It was decided by a WAMZ meeting in Banjul last year that ECO would be introduced in December 2009 provided member countries met four of the five convergence criteria.

By staff writer

© afrol News

http://www.afrol.com/articles/23035
Ra Shake

Baltimore, MD

#23 Dec 14, 2006
This is a great oppertunity for North American Afrikans to reconnect with our Afrikan roots. This has the potential of reshaping the North Afrikan communities and replacing the values we once had back into our lives.
Julie

Huddersfield, UK

#24 Dec 16, 2006
You now all see the light. You are all children of the soil. You deserve the land and diamonds.
Glenis

Atlanta, GA

#26 Dec 20, 2006
Ashley wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you serious!!?!! So I can actually visit my homeland!!?!! If so, then this is the best news I have received since my 18th birthday lol. I have been hoping for this for such a long time and it was somewhat of a dream of mines. I want to connect with my ancestors so that I can help them out in whatever they need.
You didnt have to wait for this to make a visit bck to the Motherland. All this does is offer you rights there as a national, similar to what to have here but probably dont exercise

“We are on topix..nothing more!”

Since: Dec 06

Montréal, Canada

#28 Dec 21, 2006
Africans may even be willing to do more once they sort out their problems. A long time is needed, but the willingness is there. I know so many Africans of my generation who are willing to show that African Americans do not even need to ask. Ideally for me, African Americans should be exempted from needing visas to visit any African country. I'm sure the loss of revenues at the borders would be even more than compensated by their interests in the place and people.
Vito

Murfreesboro, TN

#29 Dec 23, 2006
New website for the petition is up. you can view the website here: http://the-petition.site.io/

A new website is in the works, with a lot of interesting sponsors backing the petition. Stay tuned...
Boogie

United States

#30 Apr 5, 2008
Inkra wrote:
Africans may even be willing to do more once they sort out their problems. A long time is needed, but the willingness is there. I know so many Africans of my generation who are willing to show that African Americans do not even need to ask. Ideally for me, African Americans should be exempted from needing visas to visit any African country. I'm sure the loss of revenues at the borders would be even more than compensated by their interests in the place and people.
Thank you for saying what you said so often I feel like the people in Africa act like we aight connected; Granted I know its the nature of many native cultures to show kindness; but I appreciate what you expressed; we shouldn't need visas but the fact that they are finally willig to give their relatives here dual citizenship even ifs its for the own motives; Its a cool thing. Though Im of mixed descent I would go back just to show love to the people color is the surface but the heart is what makes the person. So peace to you Inkra much love for the love shown.

“Family,Health,$$ bump the rest”

Since: Nov 07

NUNYA

#31 Apr 5, 2008
Read article and more importantly read comments. This is what whites think of blacks.

http://www.topix.com/tech/2008/02/university-...

“My Great Grandmother”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#32 Apr 5, 2008
i am getting my citizenship soon :)) this is good news, vito. thanks!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why are so many white ppl strung out on drugs 2 min Hmm 35
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Go fish 1,703,153
James Watson, discoverer of DNA: There are ge... 3 min Ugly monkeys 6
What do we know about Haplogroup E1b1a? (Oct '08) 9 min el rey de los cam... 309
Whats wrong with white parents? 13 min Hmm 21
Here's a good question. Strength related 18 min Hmm 17
Why do the Norwegians hate the Swedes so much? (Sep '07) 29 min KingdomofBohemia 10
White Nationalists & the Assault on BW's Dignity 1 hr White 120
ugly cracker ape school shooting! 1 hr Jake 111
Negro Panther Film 1 hr Pam 26
.......13 Russian Nationals Indicted 1 hr Ttt 39
The One Subject Got_Rope WON'T Dare Touch! 4 hr Harrisson 25
More from around the web